|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Asher mentions that which character has passed away?
2. In which European city does Asher decide to stay for a year or two?
3. In the Brooklyn Crucifixions, what structure forms the crucifix?
4. While wandering alone through Manhattan, Asher visits whose art gallery?
5. In Chapter 9, Jacob Kahn travels to see an art show in which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Rebbe want Asher to study Russian?
2. What is Asher's strongest memory of his first art show?
3. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
4. What is the illness that forces Jacob Kahn into bed for a few days?
5. Describe how Anna Schaeffer looks.
6. Describe the sculpture that Jacob Kahn specifically keeps for himself in Chapter 11, purportedly at his wife's request.
7. What does Asher draw for his enemy classmate? Describe the picture.
8. What does Jacob Kahn say about the first painting Asher creates of his enemy classmate?
9. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
10. At the end of Chapter 8, where is Aryeh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Aryeh Lev's reaction and Yitzchok Lev's reaction to the art Asher creates as a child and teenager. How do you think you would respond if a member of your family chose to do something against everyone's expectations?
Essay Topic 2
Aryeh Lev risks his health and at times his life to help bring Russian Jews to safety, even though Rivkeh and Asher worry about him intensely. Do you think Aryeh makes a wise decision to travel abroad for the Rebbe, or do you think he would have been wiser to stay in Brooklyn? Write your idea of what might have happened if Aryeh had stayed in Brooklyn during Asher's artistically formative years.
Essay Topic 3
Asher's street becomes a major subject for his art and a major symbol of security for him. If Asher had been forced to move to Europe with his parents, how do you think that move would have affected his art?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)