|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Asher mentions that which character has passed away?
2. What biblical book does Asher read on the holiday of Tisha b'Av?
3. What is Jacob Kahn's wife's name?
4. Which biblical book does the matron of the hotel read continually?
5. While at Jacob Kahn's vacation home, what type of bird does Asher watch and paint frequently?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Asher describe the difference between a naked woman and a nude?
2. Describe the reactions of Aryeh and Rivkeh when Asher announces that he plans to spend the summer in Europe.
3. What objects does Asher notice in his parents' bedroom?
4. Which four people from the Bible does the Pieta portray?
5. Before meeting with Jacob Kahn for the first time, Asher receives an assignment from him to read a story from the New Testament. What is the story? How does Asher feel about reading it?
6. Describe how Jacob Kahn looks in Chapter 14.
7. What is Asher's strongest memory of his first art show?
8. At the end of Chapter 8, where is Aryeh?
9. How does Jacob Kahn talk to God?
10. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Asher hears about the conditions in which Russian Jews are living, he feels the need to ask Yudel Krinsky many questions about Siberia. The answers to these questions contribute to Asher's growing fear of leaving his Brooklyn street. Write an essay that describes what is happening in Russia and Siberia during the time of this novel, including as many of the novel's details as you can remember, and compare and contrast the characters' reaction to those evens. For example, how does Aryeh's reaction differ from Asher's? With whose opinion do you most sympathize?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Asher's decision to become an artist is something he could have escaped, if he had wished? Do you think that his decision causes him to lead a more fulfilled or a less fulfilled life?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Asher have to move to Paris after his community sees the Brooklyn Crucifixions? Do you think Asher was right to leave Brooklyn, or do you think he should have publicly defended his work? Why?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)