Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Asher mentions that which character has passed away?
2. What day is it when Asher and Aryeh have the discussion about blindness and about the technical language of the critics?
3. Which subject shows up on Asher's schedule without his having requested it?
4. Anna Schaeffer describes which character as her "Brooklyn prodigy"?
5. Jacob Kahn takes Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to look at various paintings of which subject?
In this novel, each major character strives to live out his or her purpose in life, especially as it relates to the Jewish community. Which character do you think accomplishes this the most effectively? Which character accomplishes this the least effectively?
Why does Asher have to move to Paris after his community sees the Brooklyn Crucifixions? Do you think Asher was right to leave Brooklyn, or do you think he should have publicly defended his work? Why?
By the end of the book, the Rebbe believes that Asher has gone too far in his artwork and is now hurting those who love him, although he claims to understand Asher's work. Do you think the Rebbe would have preferred Asher to stay within the acceptable limits of the Ladover Hasidic faith? What do you imagine a reasonable Ladover Hasidic artist would paint? Try to imagine and explain some symbols other than the crucifixion that Asher could have used to convey ultimate suffering, symbols that would have been better received by Asher's community.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)