|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in Europe, what does Asher receive in the mail from Anna Schaeffer?
2. In Chapter 11, Asher describes Jacob Kahn's show as which type of "affair"?
3. According to Asher while he is talking with Aryeh in Chapter 14, who buys his paintings?
4. Jacob Kahn warns Asher not to become a whore due to which part of Asher's dress?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Asher mention having for lunch regularly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Asher's strongest memory of his first art show?
2. Describe the reactions of Aryeh and Rivkeh when Asher announces that he plans to spend the summer in Europe.
3. What objects does Asher notice in his parents' bedroom?
4. How does Jacob Kahn talk to God?
5. Before meeting with Jacob Kahn for the first time, Asher receives an assignment from him to read a story from the New Testament. What is the story? How does Asher feel about reading it?
6. How does Asher describe the difference between a naked woman and a nude?
7. Describe how Jacob Kahn looks in Chapter 14.
8. Which four people from the Bible does the Pieta portray?
9. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
10. Why does the Rebbe want Asher to study Russian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anna Schaeffer's role in Asher's life. How do you feel about the way her employees arrive at Asher's apartment, carry away his paintings, and don't let him see them again until the show?
Essay Topic 2
Jacob Kahn feels that it is necessary for Asher to learn to paint nudes. What do you think Asher's artistic education would have lost without learning to paint nudes? What value is there in that activity? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Asher have to move to Paris after his community sees the Brooklyn Crucifixions? Do you think Asher was right to leave Brooklyn, or do you think he should have publicly defended his work? Why?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)