|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14 when Asher cannot find his parents, where are they?
2. In Chapter 12, Rivkeh asks Asher several times if what type of painting will appear in his shows?
3. Jacob Kahn warns Asher not to become a whore due to which part of Asher's dress?
4. Jacob Kahn states that all paintings fall into one of which two categories?
5. Where does Jacob Kahn take Asher for the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
2. Describe how Anna Schaeffer looks.
3. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
4. Describe the reactions of Aryeh and Rivkeh when Asher announces that he plans to spend the summer in Europe.
5. How does Jacob Kahn talk to God?
6. How does Jacob Kahn respond when Asher asks him if the artist he had just visited was happy?
7. Why does Jacob Kahn say that Asher is becoming a whore?
8. What objects does Asher notice in his parents' bedroom?
9. Before meeting with Jacob Kahn for the first time, Asher receives an assignment from him to read a story from the New Testament. What is the story? How does Asher feel about reading it?
10. How does Asher describe the difference between a naked woman and a nude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Asher's decision to become an artist is something he could have escaped, if he had wished? Do you think that his decision causes him to lead a more fulfilled or a less fulfilled life?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Asher describes moments of intimacy and estrangement between his parents, such as the intimacy that his parents gain through working in Europe alone together and the estrangement Rivkeh experiences from Aryeh due to Asher's art. Explain some of these moments. Do you think this makes a statement about what a normal marriage is like, or do you think Aryeh and Rivkeh should have treated each other differently? How do you think this affects Asher's development as a person? How does it affect his art?
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, each major character strives to live out his or her purpose in life, especially as it relates to the Jewish community. Which character do you think accomplishes this the most effectively? Which character accomplishes this the least effectively?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)