|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob Kahn call the man who talks to them about the art market in Tokyo?
2. At the very end of Chapter 13, to which city does Asher travel?
3. In Chapter 11, Asher describes Jacob Kahn's show as which type of "affair"?
4. What is the setting of the beginning of Chapter 14?
5. In which university does Rivkeh teach Russian affairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, each major character strives to live out his or her purpose in life, especially as it relates to the Jewish community. Which character do you think accomplishes this the most effectively? Which character accomplishes this the least effectively?
Essay Topic 2
"Vocation" is a word that describes one's choice of career as a way to fulfill one's personhood. This novel heavily emphasizes vocation as a way to follow God. Compare and contrast Aryeh's choice to travel for the Rebbe with Asher's choice to become an artist. Do you think they choose appropriate vocations to express who they are on the inside? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Aryeh Lev risks his health and at times his life to help bring Russian Jews to safety, even though Rivkeh and Asher worry about him intensely. Do you think Aryeh makes a wise decision to travel abroad for the Rebbe, or do you think he would have been wiser to stay in Brooklyn? Write your idea of what might have happened if Aryeh had stayed in Brooklyn during Asher's artistically formative years.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)