|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Aryeh disappears without a trace for a while, but in the beginning of Chapter 9, he sends Rivkeh and Asher a telegram from which city?
2. Asher's first original creation in Jacob Kahn's studio is in what medium?
3. What is the setting of the beginning of Chapter 14?
4. In what month does Asher meet with Jacob Kahn for the first time?
5. When the reviewers attack the Brooklyn Crucifixions, Anna Schaeffer calls them what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Asher's surroundings while he lives with Jacob Kahn in Provincetown.
2. How does Jacob Kahn respond when Asher asks him if the artist he had just visited was happy?
3. What does Asher do for the summer while Jacob Kahn campaigns for Kennedy?
4. Describe how Jacob Kahn looks in Chapter 14.
5. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
6. Why does Asher begin carrying messages for the Rebbe?
7. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
8. Which four people from the Bible does the Pieta portray?
9. What does Jacob Kahn say about the first painting Asher creates of his enemy classmate?
10. Why does the Rebbe want Asher to study Russian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Asher hears about the conditions in which Russian Jews are living, he feels the need to ask Yudel Krinsky many questions about Siberia. The answers to these questions contribute to Asher's growing fear of leaving his Brooklyn street. Write an essay that describes what is happening in Russia and Siberia during the time of this novel, including as many of the novel's details as you can remember, and compare and contrast the characters' reaction to those evens. For example, how does Aryeh's reaction differ from Asher's? With whose opinion do you most sympathize?
Essay Topic 2
Aryeh Lev risks his health and at times his life to help bring Russian Jews to safety, even though Rivkeh and Asher worry about him intensely. Do you think Aryeh makes a wise decision to travel abroad for the Rebbe, or do you think he would have been wiser to stay in Brooklyn? Write your idea of what might have happened if Aryeh had stayed in Brooklyn during Asher's artistically formative years.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Aryeh Lev's reaction and Yitzchok Lev's reaction to the art Asher creates as a child and teenager. How do you think you would respond if a member of your family chose to do something against everyone's expectations?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)