|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Asher and Jacob Kahn go to view a Van Gogh exhibit?
2. In which university does Rivkeh teach Russian affairs?
3. In what month does Asher meet with Jacob Kahn for the first time?
4. At Jacob Kahn's vacation home, in which part of the house does Asher live?
5. Where did Jacob Kahn first meet Anna Schaeffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jacob Kahn looks in Chapter 14.
2. What does Aryeh look like in Chapter 12, after Rivkeh has spent several years with him in Europe?
3. How does Jacob Kahn respond when Asher asks him if the artist he had just visited was happy?
4. Why does Asher begin carrying messages for the Rebbe?
5. Describe the Brooklyn Crucifixions.
6. What does Jacob Kahn say about the first painting Asher creates of his enemy classmate?
7. What does Asher draw for his enemy classmate? Describe the picture.
8. How does Jacob Kahn talk to God?
9. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
10. Which four people from the Bible does the Pieta portray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asher's street becomes a major subject for his art and a major symbol of security for him. If Asher had been forced to move to Europe with his parents, how do you think that move would have affected his art?
Essay Topic 2
"Vocation" is a word that describes one's choice of career as a way to fulfill one's personhood. This novel heavily emphasizes vocation as a way to follow God. Compare and contrast Aryeh's choice to travel for the Rebbe with Asher's choice to become an artist. Do you think they choose appropriate vocations to express who they are on the inside? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Asher's decision to become an artist is something he could have escaped, if he had wished? Do you think that his decision causes him to lead a more fulfilled or a less fulfilled life?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)