|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of artists did Jacob Kahn know in Paris?
2. Where do Asher's parents eat after the show?
3. In Chapter 11, Asher describes Jacob Kahn's show as which type of "affair"?
4. What day is it when Asher and Aryeh have the discussion about blindness and about the technical language of the critics?
5. What is the title of the book Rivkeh's professor gives to Asher?
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the book, the Rebbe believes that Asher has gone too far in his artwork and is now hurting those who love him, although he claims to understand Asher's work. Do you think the Rebbe would have preferred Asher to stay within the acceptable limits of the Ladover Hasidic faith? What do you imagine a reasonable Ladover Hasidic artist would paint? Try to imagine and explain some symbols other than the crucifixion that Asher could have used to convey ultimate suffering, symbols that would have been better received by Asher's community.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Rebbe's relationship with his people. How would you react if you had to ask a leader for permission to make important decisions? How do the Levs react to the Rebbe's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
Asher's changed eyes cause him to experience the world in a unique way. Describe this way of seeing. How does this way of seeing affect his choices for subjects to draw and paint? How does it shape his perspectives on controversial subjects? Use concrete examples, such as the difference between the way he views a nude and the way Aryeh views a nude.
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)