|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Asher fly with Jacob Kahn to see a Matisse exhibition?
2. In Chapter 14, Asher visits which character who has been ill?
3. When Asher falls asleep in class, the teacher makes fun of him by calling him which name?
4. What type of artists did Jacob Kahn know in Paris?
5. In Chapter 13, after having viewed the Pieta, Asher draws a man surrounded by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Brooklyn Crucifixions.
2. How does Jacob Kahn talk to God?
3. What is Asher's strongest memory of his first art show?
4. What does Aryeh look like in Chapter 12, after Rivkeh has spent several years with him in Europe?
5. Before meeting with Jacob Kahn for the first time, Asher receives an assignment from him to read a story from the New Testament. What is the story? How does Asher feel about reading it?
6. How does Asher describe the difference between a naked woman and a nude?
7. Why does Asher begin carrying messages for the Rebbe?
8. What does Asher draw for his enemy classmate? Describe the picture.
9. What objects does Asher notice in his parents' bedroom?
10. What is the illness that forces Jacob Kahn into bed for a few days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Aryeh Lev's reaction and Yitzchok Lev's reaction to the art Asher creates as a child and teenager. How do you think you would respond if a member of your family chose to do something against everyone's expectations?
Essay Topic 2
The book does not directly address Asher's love life, but it does offer hints, such as Asher's mention of "greetings" with a girl in Paris. In the Ladover community, marriages are arranged through families, although the bride and groom may also offer their consent. Describe Rivkeh's talking to Asher about the possibility of finding a wife. How does Asher handle this discussion? How do you think Asher would unite his duties to art with his duties to a potential wife and children? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Asher's decision to become an artist is something he could have escaped, if he had wished? Do you think that his decision causes him to lead a more fulfilled or a less fulfilled life?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)