Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Asher mentions that which character has passed away?
2. What day is it when Asher and Aryeh have the discussion about blindness and about the technical language of the critics?
3. Which subject shows up on Asher's schedule without his having requested it?
4. Anna Schaeffer describes which character as her "Brooklyn prodigy"?
5. Jacob Kahn takes Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to look at various paintings of which subject?
Describe Aryeh's and Rivkeh's reactions to the Brooklyn Crucifixions. How are their reactions related to their feelings about the Jewish faith, Jewish history, and their community?
Throughout the novel, Asher describes moments of intimacy and estrangement between his parents, such as the intimacy that his parents gain through working in Europe alone together and the estrangement Rivkeh experiences from Aryeh due to Asher's art. Explain some of these moments. Do you think this makes a statement about what a normal marriage is like, or do you think Aryeh and Rivkeh should have treated each other differently? How do you think this affects Asher's development as a person? How does it affect his art?
Asher eventually comes to realize that his mythic ancestor betrayed the Jewish community just as he also is betraying the community. Explain this relationship. How does this affect the way Asher feels about his mythic ancestor and about his heritage? Does it make Asher less fearful of his mythic ancestor, or does the mythic ancestor always have a grip of terror on Asher's dream life? Explain.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)