|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asher's first original creation in Jacob Kahn's studio is in what medium?
2. Where did Jacob Kahn first meet Anna Schaeffer?
3. Whom does Asher meet for the first time when he enters Jacob Kahn's apartment?
4. In the Brooklyn Crucifixions, what structure forms the crucifix?
5. What type of artists did Jacob Kahn know in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
2. Describe the sculpture that Jacob Kahn specifically keeps for himself in Chapter 11, purportedly at his wife's request.
3. Describe how Jacob Kahn looks in Chapter 14.
4. Describe the Brooklyn Crucifixions.
5. How do the strangers at the art show react to the Brooklyn Crucifixions?
6. At the end of Chapter 8, where is Aryeh?
7. How does Jacob Kahn respond when Asher asks him if the artist he had just visited was happy?
8. What objects does Asher notice in his parents' bedroom?
9. What does Aryeh look like in Chapter 12, after Rivkeh has spent several years with him in Europe?
10. What is the illness that forces Jacob Kahn into bed for a few days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anna Schaeffer's role in Asher's life. How do you feel about the way her employees arrive at Asher's apartment, carry away his paintings, and don't let him see them again until the show?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Asher have to move to Paris after his community sees the Brooklyn Crucifixions? Do you think Asher was right to leave Brooklyn, or do you think he should have publicly defended his work? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Asher's street becomes a major subject for his art and a major symbol of security for him. If Asher had been forced to move to Europe with his parents, how do you think that move would have affected his art?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)