|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at Jacob Kahn's vacation home, what type of bird does Asher watch and paint frequently?
2. Jacob Kahn warns Asher not to become a whore due to which part of Asher's dress?
3. In which university does Rivkeh teach Russian affairs?
4. Where does Jacob Kahn live?
5. When the reviewers attack the Brooklyn Crucifixions, Anna Schaeffer calls them what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
2. How does Asher describe the difference between a naked woman and a nude?
3. What is the illness that forces Jacob Kahn into bed for a few days?
4. What is Asher's strongest memory of his first art show?
5. Describe how Anna Schaeffer looks.
6. At the end of Chapter 8, where is Aryeh?
7. What does Aryeh look like in Chapter 12, after Rivkeh has spent several years with him in Europe?
8. Describe how Jacob Kahn looks in Chapter 14.
9. What does Asher do for the summer while Jacob Kahn campaigns for Kennedy?
10. Describe the sculpture that Jacob Kahn specifically keeps for himself in Chapter 11, purportedly at his wife's request.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Aryeh's and Rivkeh's reactions to the Brooklyn Crucifixions. How are their reactions related to their feelings about the Jewish faith, Jewish history, and their community?
Essay Topic 2
Jacob Kahn feels that it is necessary for Asher to learn to paint nudes. What do you think Asher's artistic education would have lost without learning to paint nudes? What value is there in that activity? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Asher's decision to become an artist is something he could have escaped, if he had wished? Do you think that his decision causes him to lead a more fulfilled or a less fulfilled life?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)