|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character leads services at the synagogue?
2. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
3. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
4. Jacob Kahn wears what type of facial hair?
5. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
3. In Chapter 13, Asher's understanding of his mythic ancestor changes. What does Asher realize about him?
4. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
5. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
6. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
7. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
8. Describe the reactions of Aryeh and Rivkeh when Asher announces that he plans to spend the summer in Europe.
9. Describe the sculpture that Jacob Kahn specifically keeps for himself in Chapter 11, purportedly at his wife's request.
10. Describe Asher's surroundings while he lives with Jacob Kahn in Provincetown.
Essay Topic 1
The book does not directly address Asher's love life, but it does offer hints, such as Asher's mention of "greetings" with a girl in Paris. In the Ladover community, marriages are arranged through families, although the bride and groom may also offer their consent. Describe Rivkeh's talking to Asher about the possibility of finding a wife. How does Asher handle this discussion? How do you think Asher would unite his duties to art with his duties to a potential wife and children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Aryeh's and Rivkeh's reactions to the Brooklyn Crucifixions. How are their reactions related to their feelings about the Jewish faith, Jewish history, and their community?
Essay Topic 3
Asher's street becomes a major subject for his art and a major symbol of security for him. If Asher had been forced to move to Europe with his parents, how do you think that move would have affected his art?
This section contains 1,841 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)