|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky spent many years in which geographical region?
2. Where does Asher live?
3. Who does not come to the Lev home on Sundays, leaving Rivkeh and Asher to fix lunch for themselves?
4. Where does Asher's aunt Leah live?
5. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
2. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
3. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
4. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
5. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
6. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
7. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
8. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
9. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
10. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jacob Kahn feels that it is necessary for Asher to learn to paint nudes. What do you think Asher's artistic education would have lost without learning to paint nudes? What value is there in that activity? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Asher's changed eyes cause him to experience the world in a unique way. Describe this way of seeing. How does this way of seeing affect his choices for subjects to draw and paint? How does it shape his perspectives on controversial subjects? Use concrete examples, such as the difference between the way he views a nude and the way Aryeh views a nude.
Essay Topic 3
"Vocation" is a word that describes one's choice of career as a way to fulfill one's personhood. This novel heavily emphasizes vocation as a way to follow God. Compare and contrast Aryeh's choice to travel for the Rebbe with Asher's choice to become an artist. Do you think they choose appropriate vocations to express who they are on the inside? Explain.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)