|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the housekeeper feed Asher as a bedtime snack?
2. Aryeh Lev is particularly concerned for the Jews of which country?
3. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
4. Asher requests to live with which character while Aryeh and Rivkeh are in Europe?
5. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
2. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
3. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
4. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
5. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
6. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
7. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
9. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
10. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Asher's decision to become an artist is something he could have escaped, if he had wished? Do you think that his decision causes him to lead a more fulfilled or a less fulfilled life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Rebbe's relationship with his people. How would you react if you had to ask a leader for permission to make important decisions? How do the Levs react to the Rebbe's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
How does religion affect the daily lives of the Lev family? Provide some examples of the way they think about God throughout the day, remembering to include a discussion of their activities, their conversation, and their world views.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)