|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Asher's aunt Leah live?
2. After looking at what was left on his chair in the Rebbe's waiting room, Asher draws a picture and dates it using which calendar style?
3. In Chapter 3, Aryeh and Rivkeh begin to make plans to move to which European city?
4. What is the prayer Asher recites before going to bed?
5. In which academic discipline does Aryeh have a master's degree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
2. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
3. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
4. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
5. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
6. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
7. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
8. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
9. Why doesn't Asher want to go to Vienna?
10. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jacob Kahn feels that it is necessary for Asher to learn to paint nudes. What do you think Asher's artistic education would have lost without learning to paint nudes? What value is there in that activity? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The book does not directly address Asher's love life, but it does offer hints, such as Asher's mention of "greetings" with a girl in Paris. In the Ladover community, marriages are arranged through families, although the bride and groom may also offer their consent. Describe Rivkeh's talking to Asher about the possibility of finding a wife. How does Asher handle this discussion? How do you think Asher would unite his duties to art with his duties to a potential wife and children? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Aryeh Lev's reaction and Yitzchok Lev's reaction to the art Asher creates as a child and teenager. How do you think you would respond if a member of your family chose to do something against everyone's expectations?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)