|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Asher finishes his visit with the Rebbe, what is lying on his chair in the waiting room?
2. Which museum do Rivkeh and Asher visit together?
3. What is the place where Aryeh goes regularly to have a ritual bath?
4. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
5. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
2. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
3. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
4. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
5. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
6. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
7. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
8. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
9. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
10. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anna Schaeffer's role in Asher's life. How do you feel about the way her employees arrive at Asher's apartment, carry away his paintings, and don't let him see them again until the show?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the book, the Rebbe believes that Asher has gone too far in his artwork and is now hurting those who love him, although he claims to understand Asher's work. Do you think the Rebbe would have preferred Asher to stay within the acceptable limits of the Ladover Hasidic faith? What do you imagine a reasonable Ladover Hasidic artist would paint? Try to imagine and explain some symbols other than the crucifixion that Asher could have used to convey ultimate suffering, symbols that would have been better received by Asher's community.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Aryeh's and Rivkeh's reactions to the Brooklyn Crucifixions. How are their reactions related to their feelings about the Jewish faith, Jewish history, and their community?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)