Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character leads services at the synagogue?
2. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
3. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
4. Jacob Kahn wears what type of facial hair?
5. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
3. In Chapter 13, Asher's understanding of his mythic ancestor changes. What does Asher realize about him?
4. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
5. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
6. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
7. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
8. Describe the reactions of Aryeh and Rivkeh when Asher announces that he plans to spend the summer in Europe.
9. Describe the sculpture that Jacob Kahn specifically keeps for himself in Chapter 11, purportedly at his wife's request.
10. Describe Asher's surroundings while he lives with Jacob Kahn in Provincetown.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Rebbe's relationship with his people. How would you react if you had to ask a leader for permission to make important decisions? How do the Levs react to the Rebbe's wishes?
Essay Topic 2
Asher eventually comes to realize that his mythic ancestor betrayed the Jewish community just as he also is betraying the community. Explain this relationship. How does this affect the way Asher feels about his mythic ancestor and about his heritage? Does it make Asher less fearful of his mythic ancestor, or does the mythic ancestor always have a grip of terror on Asher's dream life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Asher's street becomes a major subject for his art and a major symbol of security for him. If Asher had been forced to move to Europe with his parents, how do you think that move would have affected his art?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)