|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, which person does Asher draw repeatedly?
3. After feeling unable to correctly tint the shadows of Rivkeh's cheek with a pencil, Asher uses what object to create the color of shadow?
4. Which painting does Jacob Kahn command Asher to study first?
5. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
2. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
3. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
4. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
5. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
6. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
7. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
9. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
10. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aryeh Lev risks his health and at times his life to help bring Russian Jews to safety, even though Rivkeh and Asher worry about him intensely. Do you think Aryeh makes a wise decision to travel abroad for the Rebbe, or do you think he would have been wiser to stay in Brooklyn? Write your idea of what might have happened if Aryeh had stayed in Brooklyn during Asher's artistically formative years.
Essay Topic 2
"Vocation" is a word that describes one's choice of career as a way to fulfill one's personhood. This novel heavily emphasizes vocation as a way to follow God. Compare and contrast Aryeh's choice to travel for the Rebbe with Asher's choice to become an artist. Do you think they choose appropriate vocations to express who they are on the inside? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Asher describes moments of intimacy and estrangement between his parents, such as the intimacy that his parents gain through working in Europe alone together and the estrangement Rivkeh experiences from Aryeh due to Asher's art. Explain some of these moments. Do you think this makes a statement about what a normal marriage is like, or do you think Aryeh and Rivkeh should have treated each other differently? How do you think this affects Asher's development as a person? How does it affect his art?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)