Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character leads services at the synagogue?
2. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
3. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
4. Jacob Kahn wears what type of facial hair?
5. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
3. In Chapter 13, Asher's understanding of his mythic ancestor changes. What does Asher realize about him?
4. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
5. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
6. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
7. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
8. Describe the reactions of Aryeh and Rivkeh when Asher announces that he plans to spend the summer in Europe.
9. Describe the sculpture that Jacob Kahn specifically keeps for himself in Chapter 11, purportedly at his wife's request.
10. Describe Asher's surroundings while he lives with Jacob Kahn in Provincetown.
Describe Anna Schaeffer's role in Asher's life. How do you feel about the way her employees arrive at Asher's apartment, carry away his paintings, and don't let him see them again until the show?
World view is an important topic in this novel. For example, Jacob Kahn views the world as an artist, while Aryeh views the world as an observant Jew who obeys his rabbi. Choose a character and explain how his or her world view drives his or her actions and thoughts.
Jacob Kahn feels that it is necessary for Asher to learn to paint nudes. What do you think Asher's artistic education would have lost without learning to paint nudes? What value is there in that activity? Explain.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)