|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prayer Asher recites before going to bed?
2. Which character does Asher meet in the store amidst many boxes of matzos?
3. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
4. In Chapter 6, Asher remembers a conversation between himself as a toddler and Aryeh regarding which publication?
5. After feeling unable to correctly tint the shadows of Rivkeh's cheek with a pencil, Asher uses what object to create the color of shadow?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
2. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
3. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
4. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
5. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
6. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
7. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
8. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
9. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
10. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Aryeh Lev's reaction and Yitzchok Lev's reaction to the art Asher creates as a child and teenager. How do you think you would respond if a member of your family chose to do something against everyone's expectations?
Essay Topic 2
How does religion affect the daily lives of the Lev family? Provide some examples of the way they think about God throughout the day, remembering to include a discussion of their activities, their conversation, and their world views.
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, each major character strives to live out his or her purpose in life, especially as it relates to the Jewish community. Which character do you think accomplishes this the most effectively? Which character accomplishes this the least effectively?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)