|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
2. What does Asher's father make every morning for breakfast?
3. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, which person does Asher draw repeatedly?
5. What type of hat does Yudel Krinsky wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
2. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
3. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
4. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
5. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
6. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
7. Why doesn't Asher want to go to Vienna?
8. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
9. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
10. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anna Schaeffer's role in Asher's life. How do you feel about the way her employees arrive at Asher's apartment, carry away his paintings, and don't let him see them again until the show?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Aryeh Lev's reaction and Yitzchok Lev's reaction to the art Asher creates as a child and teenager. How do you think you would respond if a member of your family chose to do something against everyone's expectations?
Essay Topic 3
Asher eventually comes to realize that his mythic ancestor betrayed the Jewish community just as he also is betraying the community. Explain this relationship. How does this affect the way Asher feels about his mythic ancestor and about his heritage? Does it make Asher less fearful of his mythic ancestor, or does the mythic ancestor always have a grip of terror on Asher's dream life? Explain.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)