|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the phrase used to describe the origin of things that are not holy or good?
2. Where does Asher live?
3. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
4. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
5. Which museum do Rivkeh and Asher visit together?
Short Essay Questions
1. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
2. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
3. Why doesn't Asher want to go to Vienna?
4. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
5. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
6. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
7. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
8. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
9. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
10. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World view is an important topic in this novel. For example, Jacob Kahn views the world as an artist, while Aryeh views the world as an observant Jew who obeys his rabbi. Choose a character and explain how his or her world view drives his or her actions and thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Aryeh Lev risks his health and at times his life to help bring Russian Jews to safety, even though Rivkeh and Asher worry about him intensely. Do you think Aryeh makes a wise decision to travel abroad for the Rebbe, or do you think he would have been wiser to stay in Brooklyn? Write your idea of what might have happened if Aryeh had stayed in Brooklyn during Asher's artistically formative years.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Asher have to move to Paris after his community sees the Brooklyn Crucifixions? Do you think Asher was right to leave Brooklyn, or do you think he should have publicly defended his work? Why?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)