|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Asher and his family spend their summers?
2. Which of the following publications does Aryeh NOT read?
3. What type of work did Aryeh's father perform for the Rebbe's father?
4. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
5. Where does Asher go after school when Aryeh is out of town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
2. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
3. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
4. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
5. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
6. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
7. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
8. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
9. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
10. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, each major character strives to live out his or her purpose in life, especially as it relates to the Jewish community. Which character do you think accomplishes this the most effectively? Which character accomplishes this the least effectively?
Essay Topic 2
Asher eventually comes to realize that his mythic ancestor betrayed the Jewish community just as he also is betraying the community. Explain this relationship. How does this affect the way Asher feels about his mythic ancestor and about his heritage? Does it make Asher less fearful of his mythic ancestor, or does the mythic ancestor always have a grip of terror on Asher's dream life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Rebbe's relationship with his people. How would you react if you had to ask a leader for permission to make important decisions? How do the Levs react to the Rebbe's wishes?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)