|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky spent many years in which geographical region?
2. In order to go to Europe, Asher has to go downtown to obtain which type of document?
3. Which character leads services at the synagogue?
4. Which person's picture is on the wall in every classroom at Asher's school?
5. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
2. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
3. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
4. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
5. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
6. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
7. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
8. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
9. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
10. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Rebbe's relationship with his people. How would you react if you had to ask a leader for permission to make important decisions? How do the Levs react to the Rebbe's wishes?
Essay Topic 2
How does religion affect the daily lives of the Lev family? Provide some examples of the way they think about God throughout the day, remembering to include a discussion of their activities, their conversation, and their world views.
Essay Topic 3
Aryeh Lev risks his health and at times his life to help bring Russian Jews to safety, even though Rivkeh and Asher worry about him intensely. Do you think Aryeh makes a wise decision to travel abroad for the Rebbe, or do you think he would have been wiser to stay in Brooklyn? Write your idea of what might have happened if Aryeh had stayed in Brooklyn during Asher's artistically formative years.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)