|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky spent many years in which geographical region?
2. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
3. Aryeh Lev is particularly concerned for the Jews of which country?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7, the mashpia informs Asher that which person wants to meet with him?
5. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
2. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
3. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
4. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
5. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
6. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
7. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
8. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
9. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
10. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the question arises whether Asher's art is from the Ribbono shel olom, which is a name for God, or from the sitra achra, which is a name for the forces of evil. Asher himself wonders at various times what the source of his art is. Provide some reasons why Asher's art may possibly come from each source, and then explain whether you think Asher's art sides with good or with evil. If you think his art is completely neutral, explain why. Use specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Asher eventually comes to realize that his mythic ancestor betrayed the Jewish community just as he also is betraying the community. Explain this relationship. How does this affect the way Asher feels about his mythic ancestor and about his heritage? Does it make Asher less fearful of his mythic ancestor, or does the mythic ancestor always have a grip of terror on Asher's dream life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Asher have to move to Paris after his community sees the Brooklyn Crucifixions? Do you think Asher was right to leave Brooklyn, or do you think he should have publicly defended his work? Why?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)