|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, which person does Asher draw repeatedly?
2. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
3. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
4. Aryeh Lev is particularly concerned for the Jews of which country?
5. When Asher enters the Rebbe's office, what is the first question the Rebbe asks?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
2. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
3. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
4. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
5. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
6. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
7. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
8. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
9. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
10. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asher eventually comes to realize that his mythic ancestor betrayed the Jewish community just as he also is betraying the community. Explain this relationship. How does this affect the way Asher feels about his mythic ancestor and about his heritage? Does it make Asher less fearful of his mythic ancestor, or does the mythic ancestor always have a grip of terror on Asher's dream life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Rebbe's relationship with his people. How would you react if you had to ask a leader for permission to make important decisions? How do the Levs react to the Rebbe's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Asher have to move to Paris after his community sees the Brooklyn Crucifixions? Do you think Asher was right to leave Brooklyn, or do you think he should have publicly defended his work? Why?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)