|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 5, Asher draws a picture of the burning of which building?
2. The Lev family doctor warns Asher about the lead in which color of paint?
3. What college does Rivkeh enter?
4. Where does Asher live?
5. Which character does not want to leave Brooklyn to go to Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
2. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
3. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
4. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
5. Describe how Anna Schaeffer looks.
6. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
7. Why does the Rebbe want Asher to study Russian?
8. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
9. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
10. Which four people from the Bible does the Pieta portray?
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, each major character strives to live out his or her purpose in life, especially as it relates to the Jewish community. Which character do you think accomplishes this the most effectively? Which character accomplishes this the least effectively?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anna Schaeffer's role in Asher's life. How do you feel about the way her employees arrive at Asher's apartment, carry away his paintings, and don't let him see them again until the show?
Essay Topic 3
Asher's changed eyes cause him to experience the world in a unique way. Describe this way of seeing. How does this way of seeing affect his choices for subjects to draw and paint? How does it shape his perspectives on controversial subjects? Use concrete examples, such as the difference between the way he views a nude and the way Aryeh views a nude.
This section contains 1,800 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)