|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mrs. Rackover speak?
2. In Chapter 2, when Asher begins to go to Yudel Krinsky's store for conversation, he feels that he has to buy something every time. What does he buy first?
3. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
4. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
5. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Anna Schaeffer looks.
2. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
3. Describe the Brooklyn Crucifixions.
4. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
5. At the end of Chapter 8, where is Aryeh?
6. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
7. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
8. How does Jacob Kahn talk to God?
9. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
10. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
Essay Topic 1
Why does Asher have to move to Paris after his community sees the Brooklyn Crucifixions? Do you think Asher was right to leave Brooklyn, or do you think he should have publicly defended his work? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Asher's street becomes a major subject for his art and a major symbol of security for him. If Asher had been forced to move to Europe with his parents, how do you think that move would have affected his art?
Essay Topic 3
"Vocation" is a word that describes one's choice of career as a way to fulfill one's personhood. This novel heavily emphasizes vocation as a way to follow God. Compare and contrast Aryeh's choice to travel for the Rebbe with Asher's choice to become an artist. Do you think they choose appropriate vocations to express who they are on the inside? Explain.
This section contains 1,866 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)