|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does Asher frequently dream?
2. What language does Mrs. Rackover speak?
3. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
4. Who does not come to the Lev home on Sundays, leaving Rivkeh and Asher to fix lunch for themselves?
5. Yudel Krinsky begins to work in a store that sells what type of merchandise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
2. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
3. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
5. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
6. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
7. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
8. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
9. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
10. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Asher's decision to become an artist is something he could have escaped, if he had wished? Do you think that his decision causes him to lead a more fulfilled or a less fulfilled life?
Essay Topic 2
How does religion affect the daily lives of the Lev family? Provide some examples of the way they think about God throughout the day, remembering to include a discussion of their activities, their conversation, and their world views.
Essay Topic 3
When Asher hears about the conditions in which Russian Jews are living, he feels the need to ask Yudel Krinsky many questions about Siberia. The answers to these questions contribute to Asher's growing fear of leaving his Brooklyn street. Write an essay that describes what is happening in Russia and Siberia during the time of this novel, including as many of the novel's details as you can remember, and compare and contrast the characters' reaction to those evens. For example, how does Aryeh's reaction differ from Asher's? With whose opinion do you most sympathize?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)