|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rivkeh is worried for Aryeh's safety, to which relative does she cry out?
2. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
3. What does the housekeeper feed Asher as a bedtime snack?
4. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
5. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
2. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
3. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
4. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
5. Describe how Anna Schaeffer looks.
6. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
7. In Chapter 13, Asher's understanding of his mythic ancestor changes. What does Asher realize about him?
8. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
9. What is the illness that forces Jacob Kahn into bed for a few days?
10. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
Essay Topic 1
Asher eventually comes to realize that his mythic ancestor betrayed the Jewish community just as he also is betraying the community. Explain this relationship. How does this affect the way Asher feels about his mythic ancestor and about his heritage? Does it make Asher less fearful of his mythic ancestor, or does the mythic ancestor always have a grip of terror on Asher's dream life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Asher's decision to become an artist is something he could have escaped, if he had wished? Do you think that his decision causes him to lead a more fulfilled or a less fulfilled life?
Essay Topic 3
Jacob Kahn feels that it is necessary for Asher to learn to paint nudes. What do you think Asher's artistic education would have lost without learning to paint nudes? What value is there in that activity? Explain.
This section contains 1,869 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)