|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Aryeh disappears without a trace for a while, but in the beginning of Chapter 9, he sends Rivkeh and Asher a telegram from which city?
2. In the evenings during the summer, which street do Asher and Jacob Kahn often walk on?
(a) Commercial Street.
(b) Fifth Avenue.
(c) Elm Street.
(d) Main Street.
3. Where does Asher want to go after graduating?
(b) Medical school.
(d) Columbia University.
4. When Jacob Kahn is demanding that Asher consider a different vocation, he describes art as what?
(a) A wife.
(b) A god.
(c) A religion.
(d) A feel-good experience.
5. Where is Asher in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) His street in Brooklyn.
(c) Coney Island.
(d) The hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Jacob Kahn referring when he mentions the "old Spaniard"?
2. At the very end of Chapter 13, to which city does Asher travel?
3. Anna Schaeffer describes which character as her "Brooklyn prodigy"?
4. In Chapter 14, which character does Asher call to ask about his parents?
5. In Chapter 11, where does Asher spend the month of July?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Asher's surroundings while he lives with Jacob Kahn in Provincetown.
2. Before meeting with Jacob Kahn for the first time, Asher receives an assignment from him to read a story from the New Testament. What is the story? How does Asher feel about reading it?
3. What does Asher do for the summer while Jacob Kahn campaigns for Kennedy?
4. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
5. What is the illness that forces Jacob Kahn into bed for a few days?
6. Describe the Brooklyn Crucifixions.
7. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
8. Why does Asher begin carrying messages for the Rebbe?
9. How does Asher describe the difference between a naked woman and a nude?
10. What objects does Asher notice in his parents' bedroom?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)