|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Jacob Kahn's vacation home, in which part of the house does Asher live?
(a) A sun porch.
(b) The attic.
(c) The studio.
(d) The basement.
2. One art critic describes Asher's work as having a "menacing affinity" for what?
(a) The macabre.
(b) "Picassoid forms."
(c) "Chagallian excesses."
(d) The absurd.
3. In Chapter 14, Asher visits which character who has been ill?
(a) Mrs. Rackover.
(b) Rivkeh Lev.
(c) Jacob Kahn.
(d) The mashpia.
4. Where does Asher have his first experience of painting a nude?
(a) At home.
(b) An art class at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
(c) In school.
(d) Jacob Kahn's studio.
5. Jacob Kahn takes Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to look at various paintings of which subject?
(a) The crucifixion.
(c) The madonna and child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Asher meet for the first time when he enters Jacob Kahn's apartment?
2. What kind of hat does Asher wear?
3. Asher's first original creation in Jacob Kahn's studio is in what medium?
4. Which subject shows up on Asher's schedule without his having requested it?
5. When Jacob Kahn is demanding that Asher consider a different vocation, he describes art as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
2. Why does Asher begin carrying messages for the Rebbe?
3. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
4. Describe the person with whom Asher stays in Florence.
5. Which four people from the Bible does the Pieta portray?
6. What does Asher draw for his enemy classmate? Describe the picture.
7. Why does the Rebbe want Asher to study Russian?
8. Describe the sculpture that Jacob Kahn specifically keeps for himself in Chapter 11, purportedly at his wife's request.
9. What objects does Asher notice in his parents' bedroom?
10. Describe the Brooklyn Crucifixions.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)