|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Asher describes Jacob Kahn's show as which type of "affair"?
2. In admiring Asher's first work of art in the Kahn studio, Jacob Kahn calls the work what?
(a) An innovation.
(b) An "eye drawing."
(c) A masterpiece.
(d) A "hand drawing."
3. According to Asher while he is talking with Aryeh in Chapter 14, who buys his paintings?
(a) Wealthy families.
4. In Chapter 12, Rivkeh asks Asher several times if what type of painting will appear in his shows?
(b) Abstract impressionism.
(c) Portraits of people they know.
5. At the very end of Chapter 13, to which city does Asher travel?
(a) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Asher meet with Jacob Kahn for the first time?
2. In Chapter 10, which museum do Jacob Kahn and Asher visit together?
3. Where does Asher have his first experience of painting a nude?
4. In Chapter 14 when Asher cannot find his parents, where are they?
5. Where does Jacob Kahn take Asher for the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reactions of Aryeh and Rivkeh when Asher announces that he plans to spend the summer in Europe.
2. Before meeting with Jacob Kahn for the first time, Asher receives an assignment from him to read a story from the New Testament. What is the story? How does Asher feel about reading it?
3. How do the strangers at the art show react to the Brooklyn Crucifixions?
4. What objects does Asher notice in his parents' bedroom?
5. What does Rivkeh learn from a professor at her university about Jacob Kahn?
6. What does Asher draw for his enemy classmate? Describe the picture.
7. In Chapter 13, Asher's understanding of his mythic ancestor changes. What does Asher realize about him?
8. Why does the Rebbe want Asher to study Russian?
9. Describe how Anna Schaeffer looks.
10. What does Jacob Kahn say about the first painting Asher creates of his enemy classmate?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)