|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
(a) Chalk pastel.
(d) Oil paints.
2. The Lev family doctor warns Asher about the lead in which color of paint?
(b) Flake white.
(c) Cadmium red.
3. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
(a) South Africa.
4. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
(a) One of Asher's paintbrushes.
(b) A pencil.
(c) An eraser.
(d) A gingersnap.
5. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
(a) His brain.
(b) His fingers.
(c) His heart.
(d) His eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, which person does Asher draw repeatedly?
2. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
3. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
4. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
5. Who is Simcha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
2. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
3. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
4. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
5. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
6. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
8. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
9. Why doesn't Asher want to go to Vienna?
10. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)