|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Shabbos songs called?
(b) Krias shema.
2. In Chapter 2, Rivkeh tells Asher about the ancient, tragic event of the burning of what city's library?
3. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
(a) His fingers.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His heart.
(d) His brain.
4. According to the mashpia, which is the type of Jew who attains the greatest measure of righteousness?
(a) The tzaddik.
(b) The Ladover Hasid.
(c) The rosho.
(d) The benoni.
5. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
(a) Asher's brother.
(d) The Rebbe.
Short Answer Questions
1. After feeling unable to correctly tint the shadows of Rivkeh's cheek with a pencil, Asher uses what object to create the color of shadow?
2. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
3. Who does not come to the Lev home on Sundays, leaving Rivkeh and Asher to fix lunch for themselves?
4. Because Rivkeh must study at night, Asher develops the ability to sleep through the noise of what object?
5. Which character does Asher meet in the store amidst many boxes of matzos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
2. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
3. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
4. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
5. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
6. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
7. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
8. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
9. Why doesn't Asher want to go to Vienna?
10. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)