|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stays in Brooklyn with Asher while Aryeh moves to Europe?
(a) The mashpia.
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) Yitzchok Lev.
2. Yudel Krinsky begins to work in a store that sells what type of merchandise?
(a) Kosher baked goods.
3. In Chapter 2, Rivkeh tells Asher about the ancient, tragic event of the burning of what city's library?
4. On Shabbos afternoons, Aryeh returns to the synagogue alone in order to do what?
(a) Eat a meal.
(b) Make phone calls to Europe.
(c) Listen to the Rebbe speak.
(d) Talk to the Rebbe about his work in Europe.
5. In Chapter 3, Aryeh and Rivkeh begin to make plans to move to which European city?
(b) The Hague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
2. Jacob Kahn wears what type of facial hair?
3. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
4. What college does Rivkeh enter?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, the mashpia informs Asher that which person wants to meet with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
2. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
3. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
4. What types of paintings does Jacob Kahn emphasize in his trips with Asher to the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Why?
5. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
6. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
7. Why does Asher begin carrying messages for the Rebbe?
8. What does Asher draw for his enemy classmate? Describe the picture.
9. How does Jacob Kahn talk to God?
10. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)