|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Rebbe's chief of staff?
(a) Reb Joseph Cutler.
(b) Yitzchok Lev.
(c) Rav Mendel Dorochoff.
(d) Jacob Kahn.
2. Yudel Krinsky begins to work in a store that sells what type of merchandise?
(a) Kosher baked goods.
3. In Chapter 4, when Asher goes to Yudel Krinsky to ask him about Russian Jewish history, what is Yudel eating?
(a) Bagels and lox.
(b) Cookies and milk.
(c) A Seder meal.
(d) Hard-boiled eggs and matzos.
4. What job did Yudel Krinsky have in Russia?
(a) Making brooches.
(b) Selling paper and paints.
(c) Fixing furnaces.
(d) Making hatpins.
5. By what name does the Lev family frequently call the Jewish God?
(a) Ribbono Shel Olom.
(d) Krias Shema.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Shabbos songs called?
2. Which character does Asher meet in the store amidst many boxes of matzos?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, the mashpia informs Asher that which person wants to meet with him?
4. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
5. In Chapter 6, in order to please Aryeh, Asher begins to put energy into learning which two subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
2. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
3. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
4. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
5. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
6. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
7. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
8. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
9. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
10. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)