|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6 during class, Asher draws a picture in which book?
(a) His English book.
(b) A Torah.
(c) A Chumash.
(d) His math book.
2. In what language does the mashpia communicate with his students?
3. To which artist does Yitzchok Lev compare Asher?
(a) Van Gogh.
4. Where does Asher live?
(b) Newark, New Jersey.
(c) Orange, New Jersey.
5. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
(a) Asher's brother.
(b) The Rebbe.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
2. What type of hat does Yudel Krinsky wear?
3. In Chapter 2, Aryeh is greatly disturbed at the brutal deaths of which group of people?
4. At the end of Chapter 6, three new Jewish families move to Asher's neighborhood from which country?
5. What does the mashpia call Asher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
2. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
3. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
4. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
5. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
6. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
7. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
8. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
9. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
10. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)