|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following publications does Aryeh NOT read?
(a) The Economist.
(d) The New York Times.
2. By what name does the Lev family frequently call the Jewish God?
(a) Ribbono Shel Olom.
(b) Krias Shema.
3. The Rebbe gives Asher permission to follow which vocation?
4. What are the Shabbos songs called?
(d) Krias shema.
5. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
(c) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky spent many years in which geographical region?
2. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
3. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
4. When Asher finishes his visit with the Rebbe, what is lying on his chair in the waiting room?
5. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
2. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
3. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
4. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
5. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
6. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
7. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
8. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
9. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
10. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)