|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Asher finishes his visit with the Rebbe, what is lying on his chair in the waiting room?
(a) A letter.
(b) A small oil painting.
(c) A folded pencil drawing.
(d) A woodcarving.
2. Who takes care of the Lev family during Rivkeh's incapacitating depression?
(c) Yitzchok Lev's wife.
(d) Mrs. Rackover.
3. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
(b) Jewish universities.
(c) Mishnah centers.
(d) Ladover yeshivos.
4. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
(c) Shaved head.
5. What objects does the mashpia provide in order to see Asher's gift?
(a) A notebook and a pencil.
(b) A piece of paper and a pen.
(c) A chalkboard and some chalk.
(d) A piece of canvas board and some paints.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the mashpia, Jewish souls are like what?
2. In Chapter 3, Aryeh and Rivkeh begin to make plans to move to which European city?
3. In Chapter 2, when Asher begins to go to Yudel Krinsky's store for conversation, he feels that he has to buy something every time. What does he buy first?
4. According to the mashpia, which is the type of Jew who attains the greatest measure of righteousness?
5. By what name does the Lev family frequently call the Jewish God?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
2. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
3. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
4. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
5. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
6. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
7. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
8. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
9. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
10. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)