|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
(c) Shaved head.
2. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
(a) Ladover Hasidism.
(b) Russian language.
(c) Jewish history.
(d) Social studies.
3. What does the mashpia call Asher?
(c) Mr. Lev.
4. In Chapter 4, when Asher goes to Yudel Krinsky to ask him about Russian Jewish history, what is Yudel eating?
(a) Hard-boiled eggs and matzos.
(b) Cookies and milk.
(c) A Seder meal.
(d) Bagels and lox.
5. When Rivkeh is worried for Aryeh's safety, to which relative does she cry out?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Yitzchok Lev.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
2. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
3. Where does Asher go after school when Aryeh is out of town?
4. In Chapter 2, Aryeh is greatly disturbed at the brutal deaths of which group of people?
5. In the first paragraph of Chapter 3, Aryeh announces the death of which world leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
2. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
3. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
4. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
5. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
6. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
7. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
8. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
9. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
10. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)