|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky describes which place as "a city of cafes and waltzes"?
2. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
(a) The New York area.
(b) The United States.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) His street.
3. In Chapter 4, when Asher goes to Yudel Krinsky to ask him about Russian Jewish history, what is Yudel eating?
(a) Cookies and milk.
(b) Hard-boiled eggs and matzos.
(c) Bagels and lox.
(d) A Seder meal.
4. In Chapter 2, Aryeh is greatly disturbed at the brutal deaths of which group of people?
(a) Eastern European yeshiva teachers.
(b) Russian Jewish factory workers.
(c) German Jewish jewelers.
(d) Russian Jewish writers.
5. In Chapter 2, Aryeh becomes ill with what disease?
(d) The flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. After looking at what was left on his chair in the Rebbe's waiting room, Asher draws a picture and dates it using which calendar style?
2. Which character does not want to leave Brooklyn to go to Europe?
3. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher unwittingly draws a picture in his notebook of whom?
4. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
5. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
2. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
3. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
4. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
5. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
6. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
7. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
8. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
9. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
10. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)