|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aryeh Lev is particularly concerned for the Jews of which country?
(d) East Germany.
2. Where does Asher's aunt Leah live?
(a) Orange, New Jersey.
3. Asher Lev introduces himself as being the painter of which great painting?
(c) Crucifixion at Dawn.
(d) Brooklyn Crucifixion.
4. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
(a) South Africa.
5. Who stays in Brooklyn with Asher while Aryeh moves to Europe?
(a) Yitzchok Lev.
(b) The mashpia.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which museum do Rivkeh and Asher visit together?
2. Which character does not want to leave Brooklyn to go to Europe?
3. Who is Simcha?
4. After feeling unable to correctly tint the shadows of Rivkeh's cheek with a pencil, Asher uses what object to create the color of shadow?
5. In order to go to Europe, Asher has to go downtown to obtain which type of document?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
2. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
3. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
4. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
5. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
6. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
7. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
8. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
9. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
10. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)