|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Shabbos afternoons, Aryeh returns to the synagogue alone in order to do what?
(a) Make phone calls to Europe.
(b) Eat a meal.
(c) Talk to the Rebbe about his work in Europe.
(d) Listen to the Rebbe speak.
2. In Chapter 2, when Asher begins to go to Yudel Krinsky's store for conversation, he feels that he has to buy something every time. What does he buy first?
(a) Oil paints.
(b) A box of stationery.
(c) A notebook and a pencil.
(d) A pen.
3. When Rivkeh is worried for Aryeh's safety, to which relative does she cry out?
(b) Yitzchok Lev.
(c) Her mother.
4. In Chapter 2, Aryeh becomes ill with what disease?
(c) The flu.
5. Who stays in Brooklyn with Asher while Aryeh moves to Europe?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(b) The mashpia.
(c) Yitzchok Lev.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Asher and his family spend their summers?
2. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
3. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
4. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
5. Who takes care of the Lev family during Rivkeh's incapacitating depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
2. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
3. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
4. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
5. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
6. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
7. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
9. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
10. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)