|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, Asher hears that which Russian prisoners have been released?
(a) Yudel Krinsky's coworkers.
(b) Everyone in debtors' prison.
(c) The Jewish doctors.
(d) The Jewish bakers.
2. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
(a) Chalk pastel.
(c) Oil paints.
3. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
4. Because Rivkeh must study at night, Asher develops the ability to sleep through the noise of what object?
5. In Chapter 3, Aryeh and Rivkeh begin to make plans to move to which European city?
(a) The Hague.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
2. After completing her undergraduate degree, Rivkeh pursues a master's degree in which academic discipline?
3. To which artist does Yitzchok Lev compare Asher?
4. According to the mashpia, which is the type of Jew who attains the greatest measure of righteousness?
5. What objects does the mashpia provide in order to see Asher's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
2. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
3. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
5. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
6. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
7. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
8. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
9. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
10. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)