|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher unwittingly draws a picture in his notebook of whom?
(c) The Rebbe.
(d) His mythic ancestor.
2. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(a) Playing tennis.
(d) Throwing darts.
3. Who is Simcha?
(a) A writer from Bucharest.
(b) A Jew from Kiev.
(c) A painter from Brooklyn.
(d) A Jew from East Berlin.
4. What college does Rivkeh enter?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) Yeshiva College.
(c) New York University.
(d) Brooklyn College.
5. Yudel Krinsky shows Asher how to use a fixative to keep what artistic medium from rubbing off the paper?
(b) Oil paint.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
2. In the first paragraph of Chapter 3, Aryeh announces the death of which world leader?
3. Yudel Krinsky begins to work in a store that sells what type of merchandise?
4. What is Yitzchok Lev's profession?
5. What are the Shabbos songs called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
2. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
3. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
4. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
5. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
6. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
7. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
8. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
9. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
10. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)