|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the mashpia, Jewish souls are like what?
(a) "The commandments of the Torah."
(b) "The flame of a candle."
(c) "The universal element of fire."
(d) "The master of the universe."
2. When Asher enters the Rebbe's office, what is the first question the Rebbe asks?
(a) "How are you?"
(b) "Is school going well?"
(c) "How is your mother?"
(d) "How is your father?"
3. Yudel Krinsky spent many years in which geographical region?
(b) East Germany.
(c) The Yukon.
4. The next time Asher visits that museum, he makes sketches of the paintings that portray which person?
5. By what name does the Lev family frequently call the Jewish God?
(a) Krias Shema.
(b) Ribbono Shel Olom.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, Asher hears that which Russian prisoners have been released?
2. At the end of Chapter 6, three new Jewish families move to Asher's neighborhood from which country?
3. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
4. After feeling unable to correctly tint the shadows of Rivkeh's cheek with a pencil, Asher uses what object to create the color of shadow?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 4, which person does Asher draw repeatedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
2. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
3. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
4. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
5. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
6. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
7. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
8. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
9. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
10. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)