|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky begins to work in a store that sells what type of merchandise?
(b) Kosher baked goods.
2. When Asher enters the Rebbe's office, what is the first question the Rebbe asks?
(a) "How is your mother?"
(b) "How is your father?"
(c) "Is school going well?"
(d) "How are you?"
3. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
(c) South Africa.
4. Who is Simcha?
(a) A writer from Bucharest.
(b) A painter from Brooklyn.
(c) A Jew from Kiev.
(d) A Jew from East Berlin.
5. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
(b) Ladover yeshivos.
(c) Mishnah centers.
(d) Jewish universities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
2. When Rivkeh is worried for Aryeh's safety, to which relative does she cry out?
3. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 5, Asher draws a picture of the burning of which building?
5. According to the mashpia, which is the type of Jew who attains the greatest measure of righteousness?
Short Essay Questions
1. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
2. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
3. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
4. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
5. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
6. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
7. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
8. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
9. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
10. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)