|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher unwittingly draws a picture in his notebook of whom?
(c) The Rebbe.
(d) His mythic ancestor.
2. What college does Rivkeh enter?
(a) New York University.
(b) Columbia University.
(c) Yeshiva College.
(d) Brooklyn College.
3. In the beginning of Chapter 5, Asher draws a picture of the burning of which building?
(a) The Colosseum.
(b) The Parthenon.
(c) Alexandria's library.
(d) The Louvre.
4. Which person's picture is on the wall in every classroom at Asher's school?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) The Rebbe.
5. What type of work did Aryeh's father perform for the Rebbe's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Because Rivkeh must study at night, Asher develops the ability to sleep through the noise of what object?
2. What is the prayer Asher recites before going to bed?
3. To which artist does Yitzchok Lev compare Asher?
4. At the end of Chapter 6, three new Jewish families move to Asher's neighborhood from which country?
5. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
2. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
4. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
5. Why doesn't Asher want to go to Vienna?
6. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
7. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
8. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
9. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
10. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)