|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, when Asher goes to Yudel Krinsky to ask him about Russian Jewish history, what is Yudel eating?
(a) Cookies and milk.
(b) Hard-boiled eggs and matzos.
(c) Bagels and lox.
(d) A Seder meal.
2. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
3. Which of the following publications does Aryeh NOT read?
(b) The Economist.
(c) The New York Times.
4. In Chapter 2, when Asher begins to go to Yudel Krinsky's store for conversation, he feels that he has to buy something every time. What does he buy first?
(a) Oil paints.
(b) A box of stationery.
(c) A pen.
(d) A notebook and a pencil.
5. After feeling unable to correctly tint the shadows of Rivkeh's cheek with a pencil, Asher uses what object to create the color of shadow?
(b) Melted chocolate.
(d) A cigarette.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Asher meet in the store amidst many boxes of matzos?
2. What maintained observant Judaism in Russia during the years before World War II?
3. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
4. The Rebbe gives Asher permission to follow which vocation?
5. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
2. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
3. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
4. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
5. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
6. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
7. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
8. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
9. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
10. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)