|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, when Asher begins to go to Yudel Krinsky's store for conversation, he feels that he has to buy something every time. What does he buy first?
(a) Oil paints.
(b) A notebook and a pencil.
(c) A pen.
(d) A box of stationery.
2. In Chapter 6, Asher remembers a conversation between himself as a toddler and Aryeh regarding which publication?
(a) The Washington Post.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Enquirer.
3. After looking at what was left on his chair in the Rebbe's waiting room, Asher draws a picture and dates it using which calendar style?
4. Where do Asher and his family spend their summers?
(a) Myrtle Beach.
(b) Berkshire Mountains.
5. In Chapter 6, in order to please Aryeh, Asher begins to put energy into learning which two subjects?
(a) Talmud and Bible.
(b) Torah and mathematics.
(c) English and Hebrew.
(d) Hebrew and zemiros.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, Asher hears that which Russian prisoners have been released?
2. In Chapter 2, Rivkeh tells Asher about the ancient, tragic event of the burning of what city's library?
3. When Asher finishes his visit with the Rebbe, what is lying on his chair in the waiting room?
4. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
5. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
2. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
3. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
4. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
5. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
6. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
7. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
8. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
9. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
10. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)