Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the mashpia, which is the type of Jew who attains the greatest measure of righteousness?
(a) The rosho.
(b) The Ladover Hasid.
(c) The benoni.
(d) The tzaddik.
2. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
(c) Shaved head.
3. To which artist does Yitzchok Lev compare Asher?
(a) Van Gogh.
4. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher unwittingly draws a picture in his notebook of whom?
(a) The Rebbe.
(d) His mythic ancestor.
5. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
(a) Jewish history.
(b) Ladover Hasidism.
(c) Russian language.
(d) Social studies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
2. What job did Yudel Krinsky have in Russia?
3. In Chapter 2, Aryeh is greatly disturbed at the brutal deaths of which group of people?
4. The Ukrainian Jewish Communists published a newspaper called what?
5. According to the mashpia, Jewish souls are like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Brooklyn Crucifixions.
2. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
3. What is the illness that forces Jacob Kahn into bed for a few days?
4. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
5. What does Jacob Kahn say about the first painting Asher creates of his enemy classmate?
6. What does Aryeh look like in Chapter 12, after Rivkeh has spent several years with him in Europe?
7. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
8. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
9. Why does Asher begin carrying messages for the Rebbe?
10. Before meeting with Jacob Kahn for the first time, Asher receives an assignment from him to read a story from the New Testament. What is the story? How does Asher feel about reading it?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)