|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stays in Brooklyn with Asher while Aryeh moves to Europe?
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(c) Yitzchok Lev.
(d) The mashpia.
2. On Shabbos afternoons, Aryeh returns to the synagogue alone in order to do what?
(a) Make phone calls to Europe.
(b) Listen to the Rebbe speak.
(c) Eat a meal.
(d) Talk to the Rebbe about his work in Europe.
3. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
(b) The angel Michael.
(d) The Angel of Death.
4. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
(a) Shaved head.
5. Asher Lev introduces himself as being the painter of which great painting?
(b) Brooklyn Crucifixion.
(c) Crucifixion at Dawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Rebbe's chief of staff?
2. What is the place where Aryeh goes regularly to have a ritual bath?
3. Who does not come to the Lev home on Sundays, leaving Rivkeh and Asher to fix lunch for themselves?
4. In which academic discipline does Aryeh have a master's degree?
5. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
2. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
3. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
4. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
5. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
6. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
7. When Aryeh returns to Brooklyn for the Pesach, how does he treat Asher?
8. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
9. Why doesn't Asher want to go to Vienna?
10. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)