|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which painting does Jacob Kahn command Asher to study first?
(a) Chagall's Lovers in the Moonlight.
(b) Munch's The Scream.
(c) Van Gogh's Starry Night.
(d) Picasso's Guernica.
2. The Lev family doctor warns Asher about the lead in which color of paint?
(b) Cadmium red.
(c) Flake white.
3. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh brings Asher a significant gift of all the necessary items for which activity?
(a) Oil painting.
(b) Sketching in color.
(c) Blowing glass.
4. Who stays in Brooklyn with Asher while Aryeh moves to Europe?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(c) The mashpia.
(d) Yitzchok Lev.
5. What type of work did Aryeh's father perform for the Rebbe's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, which person does Asher draw repeatedly?
2. Because Rivkeh must study at night, Asher develops the ability to sleep through the noise of what object?
3. Who killed Aryeh's father?
4. When Asher enters the Rebbe's office, what is the first question the Rebbe asks?
5. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the strangers at the art show react to the Brooklyn Crucifixions?
2. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
3. Why does Jacob Kahn say that Asher is becoming a whore?
4. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
5. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
6. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
7. At the end of Chapter 8, where is Aryeh?
8. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
9. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
10. How does the Rav Dorochoff react to Asher's calling him in the middle of the night?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)