|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After feeling unable to correctly tint the shadows of Rivkeh's cheek with a pencil, Asher uses what object to create the color of shadow?
(c) A cigarette.
(d) Melted chocolate.
2. On Shabbos afternoons, Aryeh returns to the synagogue alone in order to do what?
(a) Talk to the Rebbe about his work in Europe.
(b) Eat a meal.
(c) Make phone calls to Europe.
(d) Listen to the Rebbe speak.
3. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
(c) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) The Rebbe.
4. In Chapter 3, Aryeh and Rivkeh begin to make plans to move to which European city?
(a) The Hague.
5. Which museum do Rivkeh and Asher visit together?
(a) The Brooklyn Museum.
(b) The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
(c) The Smithsonian.
(d) The Brooks Museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first paragraph of Chapter 3, Aryeh announces the death of which world leader?
2. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
3. The Lev family doctor warns Asher about the lead in which color of paint?
4. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
5. In what language does the mashpia communicate with his students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
2. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
3. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
4. Why does the Rebbe want Asher to study Russian?
5. What does Rivkeh learn from a professor at her university about Jacob Kahn?
6. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
7. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
8. Before meeting with Jacob Kahn for the first time, Asher receives an assignment from him to read a story from the New Testament. What is the story? How does Asher feel about reading it?
9. Describe Asher's surroundings while he lives with Jacob Kahn in Provincetown.
10. How does Asher describe the difference between a naked woman and a nude?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)