|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
(a) South Africa.
2. The Ukrainian Jewish Communists published a newspaper called what?
(a) The Kiev Times.
(d) The Chumash.
3. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh brings Asher a significant gift of all the necessary items for which activity?
(a) Oil painting.
(c) Blowing glass.
(d) Sketching in color.
4. What is the phrase used to describe the origin of things that are not holy or good?
(a) Sitra achra.
(c) Ribbono shel olom.
(d) Krias shema.
5. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
(a) Chalk pastel.
(b) Oil paints.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work did Aryeh's father perform for the Rebbe's father?
2. In what language does Asher's school teach religion classes?
3. In Chapter 2, Aryeh is greatly disturbed at the brutal deaths of which group of people?
4. In Chapter 2, Rivkeh tells Asher about the ancient, tragic event of the burning of what city's library?
5. In which academic discipline does Aryeh have a master's degree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
2. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
3. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
4. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
5. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
6. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
7. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
8. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
9. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
10. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)