|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the place where Aryeh goes regularly to have a ritual bath?
(a) The sitra achra.
(b) The mivkeh.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) The mashpia.
2. Where does Asher's aunt Leah live?
(d) Orange, New Jersey.
3. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
(a) Asher's brother.
(b) The Rebbe.
4. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
(b) Chalk pastel.
(c) Oil paints.
5. Where does Asher live?
(a) Newark, New Jersey.
(b) Orange, New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Aryeh becomes ill with what disease?
2. In Chapter 6, in order to please Aryeh, Asher begins to put energy into learning which two subjects?
3. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
4. In which academic discipline does Aryeh have a master's degree?
5. What is the prayer Asher recites before going to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Asher's surroundings while he lives with Jacob Kahn in Provincetown.
2. What does Rivkeh learn from a professor at her university about Jacob Kahn?
3. How does Jacob Kahn respond when Asher asks him if the artist he had just visited was happy?
4. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
5. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
6. What does Asher draw for his enemy classmate? Describe the picture.
7. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
8. Why does the Rebbe want Asher to study Russian?
9. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
10. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)