|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
2. Where do Asher and his family spend their summers?
(b) Berkshire Mountains.
(c) Myrtle Beach.
3. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh brings Asher a significant gift of all the necessary items for which activity?
(a) Sketching in color.
(c) Oil painting.
(d) Blowing glass.
4. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
(a) The Rebbe.
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) Jacob Kahn.
5. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(a) Playing tennis.
(d) Throwing darts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does not want to leave Brooklyn to go to Europe?
2. Of whom does Asher frequently dream?
3. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
4. What is the prayer Asher recites before going to bed?
5. What objects does the mashpia provide in order to see Asher's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
2. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
4. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
5. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
6. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
7. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
8. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
9. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
10. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)