|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character leads services at the synagogue?
(a) The mashpia.
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) The Rebbe.
2. In which academic discipline does Aryeh have a master's degree?
(a) Political science.
(b) Russian history and culture.
(c) Jewish history.
(d) International business.
3. By what name does the Lev family frequently call the Jewish God?
(a) Krias Shema.
(c) Ribbono Shel Olom.
4. What language does Mrs. Rackover speak?
5. When Rivkeh is worried for Aryeh's safety, to which relative does she cry out?
(c) Yitzchok Lev.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not come to the Lev home on Sundays, leaving Rivkeh and Asher to fix lunch for themselves?
2. Of whom does Asher frequently dream?
3. Which museum do Rivkeh and Asher visit together?
4. At the end of Chapter 4, Asher hears that which Russian prisoners have been released?
5. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Asher want to go to Vienna?
2. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
3. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
4. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
5. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
6. Describe Rivkeh's reaction to her loved one's death.
7. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
8. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
9. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher draws a picture of Stalin in his notebook without realizing it. What do you think is happening in Asher's mind when he draws things without being aware of it?
10. Compare Aryeh's reaction to Stalin's death with Yudel Krinsky's reaction.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)