|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
(a) His bedroom.
(b) His street.
(c) The United States.
(d) The New York area.
2. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh brings Asher a significant gift of all the necessary items for which activity?
(a) Oil painting.
(b) Blowing glass.
(d) Sketching in color.
3. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
(a) Oil paints.
(c) Stretched canvas.
(d) Charcoal pencils.
4. Yudel Krinsky begins to work in a store that sells what type of merchandise?
(d) Kosher baked goods.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, the mashpia informs Asher that which person wants to meet with him?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(b) Jacob Kahn.
(c) The Rebbe.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
2. Of whom does Asher frequently dream?
3. In which academic discipline does Aryeh have a master's degree?
4. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
5. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Several times in Chapter 4, Aryeh explains his reasons for wanting to go to Europe to work for the Rebbe. Explain some of those reasons.
2. What does Asher know about his paternal grandfather?
3. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
4. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
5. Why does Asher ask Yudel Krinsky questions about Russia?
6. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
7. Why does Rivkeh want to enter the university?
8. The scene when Asher meets Yudel Krinsky for the first time becomes a very important subject for Asher's art. What is Yudel Krinsky doing at the moment of meeting Asher? How does he act?
9. Whenever Aryeh leaves for a trip, Rivkeh says, "Have a safe journey, Aryeh." In Chapter 5, Asher begins to develop a sensitivity to Rivkeh's underlying emotions. Describe what Rivkeh is feeling when she says goodbye to Aryeh.
10. Yudel Krinsky mentions several differences between Russia and the United States. What is one difference?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)