|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Shabbos afternoons, Aryeh returns to the synagogue alone in order to do what?
(a) Listen to the Rebbe speak.
(b) Talk to the Rebbe about his work in Europe.
(c) Eat a meal.
(d) Make phone calls to Europe.
2. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
(a) A pencil.
(b) An eraser.
(c) A gingersnap.
(d) One of Asher's paintbrushes.
3. Yudel Krinsky describes which place as "a city of cafes and waltzes"?
4. In Chapter 2, Aryeh becomes ill with what disease?
(c) The flu.
5. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
(a) A trombone.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A tallis.
(d) A shofar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
2. What is the dessert Asher wants the housekeeper to make?
3. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
4. What are the Shabbos songs called?
5. At the end of Chapter 4, Asher hears that which Russian prisoners have been released?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Asher draws Stalin many times. How do Aryeh and Rivkeh react to Asher's renewed interest in drawing?
2. Why does Asher miss his father so much on the first Shabbos without him?
3. When Asher first meets Jacob Kahn, what advice does Jacob give him concerning becoming an artist?
4. In Chapter 6 as Rivkeh and Asher adjust to life on their own, Rivkeh begins to talk about her grief over Yaakov's death. Which people in her life died prematurely, and how did she feel when that happened?
5. Where does the Lev family spend their summers? What do they do there?
6. In Chapter 1, Asher sometimes goes with Aryeh to the office. What does Aryeh do there, according to Asher?
7. What happens to the Russian writers? How do the Levs react?
8. How does Rivkeh react to the drawings Asher creates as a toddler?
9. Explain the class's and the teacher's reactions to Asher's drawing in a Chumash. Why do you think they react in this way?
10. Describe Asher's mythic ancestor.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)