|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Aryeh becomes ill with what disease?
(a) The flu.
2. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(b) The Rebbe.
(d) Jacob Kahn.
3. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
(a) Jewish universities.
(c) Mishnah centers.
(d) Ladover yeshivos.
4. Who stays in Brooklyn with Asher while Aryeh moves to Europe?
(b) Yitzchok Lev.
(c) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) The mashpia.
5. Asher Lev introduces himself as being the painter of which great painting?
(b) Brooklyn Crucifixion.
(c) Crucifixion at Dawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Rebbe gives Asher permission to follow which vocation?
2. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
3. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
4. In Chapter 6, Asher remembers a conversation between himself as a toddler and Aryeh regarding which publication?
5. Jacob Kahn wears what type of facial hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the mashpia's instructions, there are three types of Jews. List the types and explain them briefly.
2. Explain the Rebbe's opinion of Asher's desire to be an artist.
3. During Asher's struggles against going to Vienna, he asks why no one is listening to him. Rivkeh replies, "Everyone is listening. [...] There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher." Explain what Rivkeh means by this statement.
4. The mashpia talks with Asher about his behavior in school, such as his drawing the Rebbe in the Chumash. Then, he leaves Asher in the office with a notebook. What happens next?
5. Out of a deep longing to learn to use oil paints, Asher steals several tubes of oil paint and several brushes from Yudel Krinsky's store. What does he do with them? Why do you think he does this?
6. When talking with Asher about Vienna, what does Yudel Krinsky imply when he quotes, "honor your father and mother"?
7. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh takes Asher to the Parkway Museum (also called the Brooklyn Museum). Describe their experience there.
8. What does the mashpia do at Asher's school?
9. What happened to Yudel Krinsky in Russia? Describe some of his life before coming to the United States.
10. How does Aryeh react to the Rebbe's decision to allow Asher to study under Jacob Kahn?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)