|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, which museum do Jacob Kahn and Asher visit together?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) The Brooklyn Museum.
(c) The Chrysler Museum.
(d) The Smithsonian.
2. Where does Asher want to go after graduating?
(b) Columbia University.
(d) Medical school.
3. In Chapter 11, where does Asher spend the month of July?
(a) The Berkshires.
4. One art critic describes Asher's work as having a "menacing affinity" for what?
(a) The macabre.
(b) "Picassoid forms."
(c) "Chagallian excesses."
(d) The absurd.
5. In Chapter 14, Asher visits which character who has been ill?
(a) Jacob Kahn.
(b) The mashpia.
(c) Rivkeh Lev.
(d) Mrs. Rackover.
6. What type of artists did Jacob Kahn know in Paris?
(a) Abstract artists.
7. Which subject shows up on Asher's schedule without his having requested it?
8. Where does Asher move when Rivkeh goes to Europe to be with Aryeh?
(a) Yudel Krinsky's house.
(b) Yitzchok Lev's house.
(c) Boarding school.
(d) Jacob Kahn's apartment.
9. In Chapter 14 when Asher cannot find his parents, where are they?
(a) Out to dinner at a kosher restaurant.
(b) The University of Chicago.
(d) The subway.
10. For how much do Asher's small paintings sell?
11. In the beginning of Chapter 12, Aryeh and Rivkeh share a private joke over which of Rivkeh's habits?
(a) Forgetting where she has laid her book.
(b) Tapping her fingertips on the table.
(c) Biting her fingernails.
(d) Waiting at windows.
12. In Chapter 14, which character does Asher call to ask about his parents?
(a) Rav Dorochoff.
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(c) Avraham Cutler.
(d) The mashpia.
13. In Chapter 11, Asher mentions that which character has passed away?
(a) The mashpia.
(b) Mrs. Rackover.
(c) Yitzchok Lev.
(d) Anna Schaeffer.
14. Where does Asher have his first experience of painting a nude?
(a) Jacob Kahn's studio.
(b) An art class at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
(c) At home.
(d) In school.
15. What language does the Rebbe encourage Asher to study in college?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Asher's parents eat after the show?
2. In the Brooklyn Crucifixions, what structure forms the crucifix?
3. Asher copies which painting as a gift for the classmate who teases him?
4. What is the setting of the beginning of Chapter 14?
5. When the reviewers attack the Brooklyn Crucifixions, Anna Schaeffer calls them what name?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)