|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of artists did Jacob Kahn know in Paris?
(c) Abstract artists.
2. Where do Asher and Avraham Cutler go in Montmartre?
(a) Picasso's studio.
(b) A kosher restaurant.
(c) The cinema.
(d) The Moulin Rouge.
3. One art critic describes Asher's work as having a "menacing affinity" for what?
(a) "Picassoid forms."
(b) "Chagallian excesses."
(c) The macabre.
(d) The absurd.
4. Jacob Kahn describes Asher as "too religious" to be which type of artist?
(d) Abstract Expressionist.
5. In Chapter 14, which character does Asher call to ask about his parents?
(a) The mashpia.
(b) Avraham Cutler.
(c) Rav Dorochoff.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
6. Whom does Asher meet for the first time when he enters Jacob Kahn's apartment?
(b) The mayor of New York City.
(c) Anna Schaeffer.
(d) Isaac Goldstein.
7. In the beginning of Chapter 12, Aryeh and Rivkeh share a private joke over which of Rivkeh's habits?
(a) Tapping her fingertips on the table.
(b) Forgetting where she has laid her book.
(c) Waiting at windows.
(d) Biting her fingernails.
8. In the evenings during the summer, which street do Asher and Jacob Kahn often walk on?
(a) Main Street.
(b) Elm Street.
(c) Commercial Street.
(d) Fifth Avenue.
9. In Chapter 14, Asher helps which person shovel snow?
(a) The mashpia.
(b) Mrs. Rackover.
(c) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) The Rebbe.
10. In Chapter 14, Asher visits which character who has been ill?
(a) Mrs. Rackover.
(b) Jacob Kahn.
(c) The mashpia.
(d) Rivkeh Lev.
11. What city does Jacob Kahn describe as a "gift"?
12. Anna Schaeffer describes which character as her "Brooklyn prodigy"?
(a) Jacob Kahn.
(d) Yitzchok Lev.
13. In Chapter 13, after having viewed the Pieta, Asher draws a man surrounded by what?
(c) Sea gulls.
(d) Fallen leaves.
14. Asher accuses Aryeh of being blind in which way?
15. Where does Asher have his first experience of painting a nude?
(a) An art class at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
(b) At home.
(c) In school.
(d) Jacob Kahn's studio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Asher move when Rivkeh goes to Europe to be with Aryeh?
2. Where does Jacob Kahn live?
3. When Jacob Kahn is demanding that Asher consider a different vocation, he describes art as what?
4. While in Europe, what does Asher receive in the mail from Anna Schaeffer?
5. What day is it when Asher and Aryeh have the discussion about blindness and about the technical language of the critics?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)