|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anna Schaeffer describes which character as her "Brooklyn prodigy"?
(a) Jacob Kahn.
(b) Yitzchok Lev.
2. Which biblical book does the matron of the hotel read continually?
3. According to Asher while he is talking with Aryeh in Chapter 14, who buys his paintings?
(d) Wealthy families.
4. In Chapter 8 while Jacob Kahn is beginning to teach Asher to be an artist, he draws a pen-and-ink drawing of what subject?
(a) A still life.
(d) His home neighborhood.
5. What biblical book does Asher read on the holiday of Tisha b'Av?
6. Where do Asher's parents eat after the show?
(a) Yudel Krinsky's store.
(b) Yitzchok Lev's house.
(c) Their apartment.
(d) A restaurant.
7. What city does Jacob Kahn describe as a "gift"?
8. When the reviewers attack the Brooklyn Crucifixions, Anna Schaeffer calls them what name?
(b) Ignorant people.
9. At the show, Jacob Kahn tells Asher that he wishes he had whose "gall"?
(b) The Rebbe's.
10. In Paris, Jacob Kahn worked with which famous artist?
(b) Van Gogh.
11. Which subject shows up on Asher's schedule without his having requested it?
12. What method of creating art does Asher learn in Chapter 11?
(a) Papier mache.
(d) Glass blowing.
13. Where is Asher in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) The hospital.
(c) Coney Island.
(d) His street in Brooklyn.
14. In Chapter 11, Asher describes Jacob Kahn's show as which type of "affair"?
15. What is the title of the book Rivkeh's professor gives to Asher?
(a) A Biography of Picasso.
(b) Russian Art Through the Centuries.
(c) The Art Spirit.
(d) Great Jewish Artists.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Jacob Kahn's vacation home, in which part of the house does Asher live?
2. When Asher falls asleep in class, the teacher makes fun of him by calling him which name?
3. What day is it when Asher and Aryeh have the discussion about blindness and about the technical language of the critics?
4. When Jacob Kahn is demanding that Asher consider a different vocation, he describes art as what?
5. To whom is Jacob Kahn referring when he mentions the "old Spaniard"?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)