|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9 when Aryeh comes home for a visit, how does he look?
(c) Old and tired.
2. In Chapter 14, which character does Asher call to ask about his parents?
(a) Rav Dorochoff.
(b) Avraham Cutler.
(c) The mashpia.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
3. Which subject shows up on Asher's schedule without his having requested it?
4. When Jacob Kahn is demanding that Asher consider a different vocation, he describes art as what?
(a) A feel-good experience.
(b) A religion.
(c) A wife.
(d) A god.
5. Where does Asher want to go after graduating?
(a) Columbia University.
(d) Medical school.
6. What method of creating art does Asher learn in Chapter 11?
(a) Papier mache.
(d) Glass blowing.
7. While in Europe, what does Asher receive in the mail from Anna Schaeffer?
(a) A beret.
(b) A box of cookies.
(c) An irate letter.
(d) An envelope full of cash.
8. In what month does Asher meet with Jacob Kahn for the first time?
9. One art critic describes Asher's work as having a "menacing affinity" for what?
(a) "Chagallian excesses."
(b) The absurd.
(c) "Picassoid forms."
(d) The macabre.
10. In Paris, Jacob Kahn worked with which famous artist?
(c) Van Gogh.
11. At Jacob Kahn's vacation home, in which part of the house does Asher live?
(a) The basement.
(b) The studio.
(c) A sun porch.
(d) The attic.
12. At the very end of Chapter 13, to which city does Asher travel?
(b) New York City.
13. Where did Jacob Kahn first meet Anna Schaeffer?
(c) West Berlin.
14. Asher accuses Aryeh of being blind in which way?
15. While at Jacob Kahn's vacation home, what type of bird does Asher watch and paint frequently?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Asher describes Jacob Kahn's show as which type of "affair"?
2. Where does Jacob Kahn take Asher for the summer?
3. Jacob Kahn warns Asher not to become a whore due to which part of Asher's dress?
4. Asher copies which painting as a gift for the classmate who teases him?
5. Asher's first original creation in Jacob Kahn's studio is in what medium?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)