|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What biblical book does Asher read on the holiday of Tisha b'Av?
2. Where does Asher have his first experience of painting a nude?
(a) An art class at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
(b) At home.
(c) In school.
(d) Jacob Kahn's studio.
3. In Chapter 9, Jacob Kahn encourages Asher to paint the full depth of his hatred for which person in his life?
(b) A classmate.
4. Asher's first original creation in Jacob Kahn's studio is in what medium?
(b) Plaster of paris.
(c) Oils on canvas.
5. On what day of the week does Asher visit Jacob Kahn?
6. What does Jacob Kahn call the man who talks to them about the art market in Tokyo?
(a) A whore.
(c) A shark.
7. One art critic describes Asher's work as having a "menacing affinity" for what?
(a) The absurd.
(b) "Picassoid forms."
(c) "Chagallian excesses."
(d) The macabre.
8. Asher accuses Aryeh of being blind in which way?
9. Besides learning art, what does Asher learn from Jacob Kahn in Chapter 10?
(c) Playing golf.
(d) Reading French.
10. Where does Jacob Kahn take Asher for the summer?
(b) Myrtle Beach.
(d) The Berkshires.
11. In Chapter 11, Asher mentions that which character has passed away?
(a) Mrs. Rackover.
(b) Anna Schaeffer.
(c) The mashpia.
(d) Yitzchok Lev.
12. Where does Asher fly with Jacob Kahn to see a Matisse exhibition?
13. While in Europe, what does Asher receive in the mail from Anna Schaeffer?
(a) An envelope full of cash.
(b) An irate letter.
(c) A beret.
(d) A box of cookies.
14. In which European city does Asher decide to stay for a year or two?
15. Where do Asher and Avraham Cutler go in Montmartre?
(a) The Moulin Rouge.
(b) Picasso's studio.
(c) The cinema.
(d) A kosher restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. In which university does Rivkeh teach Russian affairs?
3. Who is Avraham Cutler's father?
4. When Jacob Kahn is demanding that Asher consider a different vocation, he describes art as what?
5. Which age does Jacob Kahn say he would like to live past?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)