|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Rivkeh asks Asher several times if what type of painting will appear in his shows?
(a) Abstract impressionism.
(d) Portraits of people they know.
2. Who is Avraham Cutler's father?
(a) The Rebbe.
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(c) Reuben Cutler.
(d) The mashpia.
3. In Chapter 14, Asher helps which person shovel snow?
(a) The Rebbe.
(b) The mashpia.
(c) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) Mrs. Rackover.
4. Jacob Kahn states that all paintings fall into one of which two categories?
(a) Geometry and a flower.
(b) Life and death.
(c) Love and hate.
(d) Impressionism and realism.
5. One art critic describes Asher's work as having a "menacing affinity" for what?
(a) The absurd.
(b) The macabre.
(c) "Chagallian excesses."
(d) "Picassoid forms."
6. Where does Jacob Kahn live?
(b) The Bronx.
(d) Upper Manhattan.
7. Asher accuses Aryeh of being blind in which way?
8. When Jacob Kahn is demanding that Asher consider a different vocation, he describes art as what?
(a) A god.
(b) A feel-good experience.
(c) A wife.
(d) A religion.
9. Aryeh notes that someone in Florence thought he belonged to which religious group?
(b) Greek Orthodoxy.
10. In Chapter 8 while Jacob Kahn is beginning to teach Asher to be an artist, he draws a pen-and-ink drawing of what subject?
(c) A still life.
(d) His home neighborhood.
11. Where do Asher and Jacob Kahn go to view a Van Gogh exhibit?
12. Aryeh makes the statement that which type of people take art very seriously?
(a) Newspaper writers.
(d) Art critics.
13. To whom is Jacob Kahn referring when he mentions the "old Spaniard"?
(b) Don Quixote.
(c) Francisco Franco.
14. Where do Asher and Avraham Cutler go in Montmartre?
(a) The cinema.
(b) A kosher restaurant.
(c) The Moulin Rouge.
(d) Picasso's studio.
15. What type of artists did Jacob Kahn know in Paris?
(d) Abstract artists.
Short Answer Questions
1. While wandering alone through Manhattan, Asher visits whose art gallery?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Asher mention having for lunch regularly?
3. After word has gotten around about the Brooklyn Crucifixions, where does the Rebbe ask Asher to live?
4. What is Jacob Kahn's wife's name?
5. At the show, Jacob Kahn tells Asher that he wishes he had whose "gall"?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)