|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of hat does Asher wear?
(b) Baseball cap.
(c) Fisherman's cap.
2. What is Yitzchok Lev's wife's name?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 12, Aryeh and Rivkeh share a private joke over which of Rivkeh's habits?
(a) Tapping her fingertips on the table.
(b) Forgetting where she has laid her book.
(c) Biting her fingernails.
(d) Waiting at windows.
4. Jacob Kahn describes Asher as "too religious" to be which type of artist?
(b) Abstract Expressionist.
5. To whom is Jacob Kahn referring when he mentions the "old Spaniard"?
(b) Don Quixote.
(c) Francisco Franco.
6. At the show, Jacob Kahn tells Asher that he wishes he had whose "gall"?
(d) The Rebbe's.
7. What type of artists did Jacob Kahn know in Paris?
(d) Abstract artists.
8. In Chapter 14, which character does Asher call to ask about his parents?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(b) Rav Dorochoff.
(c) The mashpia.
(d) Avraham Cutler.
9. According to Asher while he is talking with Aryeh in Chapter 14, who buys his paintings?
(a) Wealthy families.
10. In Chapter 14 when Asher cannot find his parents, where are they?
(a) The subway.
(c) The University of Chicago.
(d) Out to dinner at a kosher restaurant.
11. In which university does Rivkeh teach Russian affairs?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) Bronx University.
(c) New York University.
(d) Brooklyn College.
12. Where does Asher move when Rivkeh goes to Europe to be with Aryeh?
(a) Boarding school.
(b) Yudel Krinsky's house.
(c) Yitzchok Lev's house.
(d) Jacob Kahn's apartment.
13. In Chapter 13, after having viewed the Pieta, Asher draws a man surrounded by what?
(c) Fallen leaves.
(d) Sea gulls.
14. While in Europe, what does Asher receive in the mail from Anna Schaeffer?
(a) A box of cookies.
(b) An envelope full of cash.
(c) An irate letter.
(d) A beret.
15. In admiring Asher's first work of art in the Kahn studio, Jacob Kahn calls the work what?
(a) An "eye drawing."
(b) A "hand drawing."
(c) An innovation.
(d) A masterpiece.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, Asher helps which person shovel snow?
2. In Chapter 8, Aryeh disappears without a trace for a while, but in the beginning of Chapter 9, he sends Rivkeh and Asher a telegram from which city?
3. Where does Jacob Kahn live?
4. In which European city does Asher decide to stay for a year or two?
5. Who is Avraham Cutler's father?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)