|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jacob Kahn live?
(c) The Bronx.
(d) Upper Manhattan.
2. Which subject shows up on Asher's schedule without his having requested it?
3. Jacob Kahn describes Asher as "too religious" to be which type of artist?
(b) Abstract Expressionist.
4. While wandering alone through Manhattan, Asher visits whose art gallery?
(b) Anna Schaeffer's.
(c) Jacob Kahn's.
(d) The Rebbe's.
5. Whom does Asher meet for the first time when he enters Jacob Kahn's apartment?
(b) Anna Schaeffer.
(c) The mayor of New York City.
(d) Isaac Goldstein.
6. In admiring Asher's first work of art in the Kahn studio, Jacob Kahn calls the work what?
(a) An "eye drawing."
(b) A "hand drawing."
(c) A masterpiece.
(d) An innovation.
7. In Chapter 8, Aryeh disappears without a trace for a while, but in the beginning of Chapter 9, he sends Rivkeh and Asher a telegram from which city?
8. In the beginning of Chapter 12, Aryeh and Rivkeh share a private joke over which of Rivkeh's habits?
(a) Tapping her fingertips on the table.
(b) Biting her fingernails.
(c) Forgetting where she has laid her book.
(d) Waiting at windows.
9. When Jacob Kahn is demanding that Asher consider a different vocation, he describes art as what?
(a) A god.
(b) A feel-good experience.
(c) A wife.
(d) A religion.
10. What is Jacob Kahn's wife's name?
11. Where does Asher have his first experience of painting a nude?
(a) Jacob Kahn's studio.
(b) An art class at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
(c) In school.
(d) At home.
12. Who is Avraham Cutler's father?
(a) Reuben Cutler.
(b) The Rebbe.
(c) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) The mashpia.
13. In Chapter 14, Asher visits which character who has been ill?
(a) Mrs. Rackover.
(b) Jacob Kahn.
(c) The mashpia.
(d) Rivkeh Lev.
14. Jacob Kahn compares his sculpting of Asher to which famous piece of art?
(a) The Sistine Chapel.
(b) The David.
(c) American Gothic.
(d) The Mona Lisa.
15. On what day of the week does Asher visit Jacob Kahn?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, which character does Asher call to ask about his parents?
2. Where do Asher's parents eat after the show?
3. What day is it when Asher and Aryeh have the discussion about blindness and about the technical language of the critics?
4. What is the setting of the beginning of Chapter 14?
5. What is Yitzchok Lev's wife's name?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)