|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the mashpia, Jewish souls are like what?
(a) "The universal element of fire."
(b) "The flame of a candle."
(c) "The master of the universe."
(d) "The commandments of the Torah."
2. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
(a) Oil paints.
(c) Stretched canvas.
(d) Charcoal pencils.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, the mashpia informs Asher that which person wants to meet with him?
(a) The Rebbe.
(c) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) Jacob Kahn.
4. Which person's picture is on the wall in every classroom at Asher's school?
(b) The Rebbe.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
5. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
(c) The angel Michael.
(d) The Angel of Death.
6. What are the Shabbos songs called?
(a) Krias shema.
7. In Chapter 2, Aryeh is greatly disturbed at the brutal deaths of which group of people?
(a) Eastern European yeshiva teachers.
(b) German Jewish jewelers.
(c) Russian Jewish writers.
(d) Russian Jewish factory workers.
8. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
(a) Ladover yeshivos.
(b) Jewish universities.
(d) Mishnah centers.
9. Yudel Krinsky shows Asher how to use a fixative to keep what artistic medium from rubbing off the paper?
(b) Oil paint.
10. After completing her undergraduate degree, Rivkeh pursues a master's degree in which academic discipline?
(a) Jewish literature.
(b) Religious studies.
(d) Russian affairs.
11. In Chapter 6 during class, Asher draws a picture in which book?
(a) A Chumash.
(b) His English book.
(c) His math book.
(d) A Torah.
12. What is the place where Aryeh goes regularly to have a ritual bath?
(a) The mivkeh.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) The mashpia.
(d) The sitra achra.
13. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
14. Where does Asher live?
(c) Orange, New Jersey.
(d) Newark, New Jersey.
15. Where does Asher go after school when Aryeh is out of town?
(a) The museum.
(b) The fire station.
(c) The harbor.
(d) The bakery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work did Aryeh's father perform for the Rebbe's father?
2. The next time Asher visits that museum, he makes sketches of the paintings that portray which person?
3. Which character does Asher meet in the store amidst many boxes of matzos?
4. On Shabbos afternoons, Aryeh returns to the synagogue alone in order to do what?
5. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)