|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, the mashpia informs Asher that which person wants to meet with him?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(b) Jacob Kahn.
(d) The Rebbe.
2. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(b) Playing tennis.
(c) Throwing darts.
3. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
(b) The Rebbe.
(d) Asher's brother.
4. At the end of Chapter 4, Asher hears that which Russian prisoners have been released?
(a) Yudel Krinsky's coworkers.
(b) The Jewish bakers.
(c) The Jewish doctors.
(d) Everyone in debtors' prison.
5. According to the mashpia, Jewish souls are like what?
(a) "The flame of a candle."
(b) "The universal element of fire."
(c) "The commandments of the Torah."
(d) "The master of the universe."
6. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh brings Asher a significant gift of all the necessary items for which activity?
(b) Oil painting.
(c) Sketching in color.
(d) Blowing glass.
7. In Chapter 6 during class, Asher draws a picture in which book?
(a) A Chumash.
(b) A Torah.
(c) His math book.
(d) His English book.
8. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
9. What is the phrase used to describe the origin of things that are not holy or good?
(a) Sitra achra.
(b) Krias shema.
(d) Ribbono shel olom.
10. What is the dessert Asher wants the housekeeper to make?
(a) Peanut butter cookies.
(c) Chocolate pudding.
(d) Ice cream sundaes.
11. The Ukrainian Jewish Communists published a newspaper called what?
(c) The Chumash.
(d) The Kiev Times.
12. Which person's picture is on the wall in every classroom at Asher's school?
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(c) The Rebbe.
13. Yudel Krinsky shows Asher how to use a fixative to keep what artistic medium from rubbing off the paper?
(c) Oil paint.
14. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
(d) Shaved head.
15. What does the mashpia call Asher?
(d) Mr. Lev.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which museum do Rivkeh and Asher visit together?
2. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
3. At the end of Chapter 6, three new Jewish families move to Asher's neighborhood from which country?
4. What language does Mrs. Rackover speak?
5. Where does Asher live?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)