|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language does Asher's school teach religion classes?
2. What are the Shabbos songs called?
(d) Krias shema.
3. What maintained observant Judaism in Russia during the years before World War II?
(a) Ladover yeshivos.
(b) The synagogues.
(c) The Rebbe.
(d) The krias shema.
4. Yudel Krinsky shows Asher how to use a fixative to keep what artistic medium from rubbing off the paper?
(b) Oil paint.
5. Which character does not want to leave Brooklyn to go to Europe?
(b) Yitzchok Lev.
(c) The Rebbe.
6. By what name does the Lev family frequently call the Jewish God?
(a) Ribbono Shel Olom.
(b) Krias Shema.
7. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Studying Torah.
(d) Reading a magazine.
8. When Asher enters the Rebbe's office, what is the first question the Rebbe asks?
(a) "How are you?"
(b) "Is school going well?"
(c) "How is your mother?"
(d) "How is your father?"
9. Because Rivkeh must study at night, Asher develops the ability to sleep through the noise of what object?
10. Yudel Krinsky describes which place as "a city of cafes and waltzes"?
11. Where does Asher's aunt Leah live?
(a) Orange, New Jersey.
12. Which person's picture is on the wall in every classroom at Asher's school?
(a) The Rebbe.
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
13. In order to go to Europe, Asher has to go downtown to obtain which type of document?
(a) A passport.
(b) A Social Security card.
(c) A birth certificate.
(d) A plane ticket.
14. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
(a) His street.
(b) His bedroom.
(c) The New York area.
(d) The United States.
15. What type of hat does Yudel Krinsky wear?
(a) A yarmulke.
(b) A toboggan.
(c) A kaskett.
(d) A fez.
Short Answer Questions
1. After completing her undergraduate degree, Rivkeh pursues a master's degree in which academic discipline?
2. On Shabbos afternoons, Aryeh returns to the synagogue alone in order to do what?
3. The Ukrainian Jewish Communists published a newspaper called what?
4. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
5. Who stays in Brooklyn with Asher while Aryeh moves to Europe?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)