|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yudel Krinsky shows Asher how to use a fixative to keep what artistic medium from rubbing off the paper?
(a) Oil paint.
2. What type of hat does Yudel Krinsky wear?
(a) A yarmulke.
(b) A fez.
(c) A toboggan.
(d) A kaskett.
3. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh brings Asher a significant gift of all the necessary items for which activity?
(a) Sketching in color.
(b) Oil painting.
(c) Blowing glass.
4. What does the mashpia call Asher?
(a) Mr. Lev.
5. At the end of Chapter 4, Asher hears that which Russian prisoners have been released?
(a) The Jewish bakers.
(b) The Jewish doctors.
(c) Yudel Krinsky's coworkers.
(d) Everyone in debtors' prison.
6. Who is the Rebbe's chief of staff?
(a) Yitzchok Lev.
(b) Rav Mendel Dorochoff.
(c) Jacob Kahn.
(d) Reb Joseph Cutler.
7. According to the mashpia, Jewish souls are like what?
(a) "The master of the universe."
(b) "The commandments of the Torah."
(c) "The flame of a candle."
(d) "The universal element of fire."
8. What is the phrase used to describe the origin of things that are not holy or good?
(a) Krias shema.
(b) Sitra achra.
(c) Ribbono shel olom.
9. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
(a) A gingersnap.
(b) One of Asher's paintbrushes.
(c) An eraser.
(d) A pencil.
10. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
(b) The Angel of Death.
(c) The angel Michael.
11. Which painting does Jacob Kahn command Asher to study first?
(a) Van Gogh's Starry Night.
(b) Picasso's Guernica.
(c) Munch's The Scream.
(d) Chagall's Lovers in the Moonlight.
12. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
13. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
(a) Studying Torah.
(b) Reading a magazine.
(d) Writing a letter.
14. Asher requests to live with which character while Aryeh and Rivkeh are in Europe?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(b) Jacob Kahn.
(c) The mashpia.
(d) Yitzchok Lev.
15. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(a) Playing tennis.
(b) Throwing darts.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3, Asher unwittingly draws a picture in his notebook of whom?
2. What job did Yudel Krinsky have in Russia?
3. The next time Asher visits that museum, he makes sketches of the paintings that portray which person?
4. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
5. Which museum do Rivkeh and Asher visit together?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)