|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, when Asher goes to Yudel Krinsky to ask him about Russian Jewish history, what is Yudel eating?
(a) Bagels and lox.
(b) Cookies and milk.
(c) A Seder meal.
(d) Hard-boiled eggs and matzos.
2. Aryeh Lev is particularly concerned for the Jews of which country?
(d) East Germany.
3. What is the dessert Asher wants the housekeeper to make?
(a) Chocolate pudding.
(b) Ice cream sundaes.
(d) Peanut butter cookies.
4. Where does Asher go after school when Aryeh is out of town?
(a) The harbor.
(b) The fire station.
(c) The bakery.
(d) The museum.
5. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
(b) Reading a magazine.
(c) Writing a letter.
(d) Studying Torah.
6. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
(a) Stretched canvas.
(b) Charcoal pencils.
(d) Oil paints.
7. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(b) Playing tennis.
(d) Throwing darts.
8. What maintained observant Judaism in Russia during the years before World War II?
(a) Ladover yeshivos.
(b) The krias shema.
(c) The Rebbe.
(d) The synagogues.
9. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
(a) A gingersnap.
(b) A pencil.
(c) One of Asher's paintbrushes.
(d) An eraser.
10. Which person's picture is on the wall in every classroom at Asher's school?
(a) The Rebbe.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
11. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
(b) The Rebbe.
(c) Jacob Kahn.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
12. In the beginning of Chapter 5, Asher draws a picture of the burning of which building?
(a) The Parthenon.
(b) Alexandria's library.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The Colosseum.
13. Where does Asher insist on staying while his parents go to Europe?
(a) The New York area.
(b) His street.
(c) The United States.
(d) His bedroom.
14. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
(a) A shofar.
(b) A trombone.
(c) A tallis.
(d) A whistle.
15. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh brings Asher a significant gift of all the necessary items for which activity?
(a) Oil painting.
(b) Blowing glass.
(d) Sketching in color.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of the Lev family during Rivkeh's incapacitating depression?
2. To which artist does Yitzchok Lev compare Asher?
3. Yudel Krinsky describes which place as "a city of cafes and waltzes"?
4. Who is the Rebbe's chief of staff?
5. What objects does the mashpia provide in order to see Asher's gift?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)