|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Asher finishes his visit with the Rebbe, what is lying on his chair in the waiting room?
(a) A folded pencil drawing.
(b) A letter.
(c) A small oil painting.
(d) A woodcarving.
2. When Rivkeh is worried for Aryeh's safety, to which relative does she cry out?
(a) Yitzchok Lev.
(b) Her mother.
3. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(a) Playing tennis.
(c) Throwing darts.
4. To which artist does Yitzchok Lev compare Asher?
(d) Van Gogh.
5. Which of the following publications does Aryeh NOT read?
(b) The Economist.
(d) The New York Times.
6. According to the mashpia, Jewish souls are like what?
(a) "The commandments of the Torah."
(b) "The master of the universe."
(c) "The universal element of fire."
(d) "The flame of a candle."
7. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
(a) Chalk pastel.
(c) Oil paints.
8. In Chapter 3, Aryeh and Rivkeh begin to make plans to move to which European city?
(c) The Hague.
9. Where does Asher live?
(c) Orange, New Jersey.
(d) Newark, New Jersey.
10. After looking at what was left on his chair in the Rebbe's waiting room, Asher draws a picture and dates it using which calendar style?
11. In order to go to Europe, Asher has to go downtown to obtain which type of document?
(a) A birth certificate.
(b) A passport.
(c) A Social Security card.
(d) A plane ticket.
12. The Ukrainian Jewish Communists published a newspaper called what?
(a) The Kiev Times.
(c) The Chumash.
13. Asher requests to live with which character while Aryeh and Rivkeh are in Europe?
(a) Jacob Kahn.
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(c) Yitzchok Lev.
(d) The mashpia.
14. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A shofar.
(c) A trombone.
(d) A tallis.
15. In what language does Asher's school teach religion classes?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does the Lev family frequently call the Jewish God?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, the mashpia informs Asher that which person wants to meet with him?
3. Which painting does Jacob Kahn command Asher to study first?
4. What language does Mrs. Rackover speak?
5. In Chapter 2, Rivkeh tells Asher about the ancient, tragic event of the burning of what city's library?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)