|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to go to Europe, Asher has to go downtown to obtain which type of document?
(a) A plane ticket.
(b) A Social Security card.
(c) A passport.
(d) A birth certificate.
2. The next time Asher visits that museum, he makes sketches of the paintings that portray which person?
3. After completing her undergraduate degree, Rivkeh pursues a master's degree in which academic discipline?
(a) Jewish literature.
(c) Russian affairs.
(d) Religious studies.
4. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
(b) The Rebbe.
(c) Yudel Krinsky.
5. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
(a) The Angel of Death.
(c) The angel Michael.
6. In Chapter 6, in order to please Aryeh, Asher begins to put energy into learning which two subjects?
(a) Torah and mathematics.
(b) English and Hebrew.
(c) Hebrew and zemiros.
(d) Talmud and Bible.
7. In Chapter 6, Rivkeh brings Asher a significant gift of all the necessary items for which activity?
(b) Blowing glass.
(c) Sketching in color.
(d) Oil painting.
8. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
(a) Charcoal pencils.
(b) Stretched canvas.
(d) Oil paints.
9. Who is Simcha?
(a) A Jew from East Berlin.
(b) A writer from Bucharest.
(c) A Jew from Kiev.
(d) A painter from Brooklyn.
10. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
(b) Jacob Kahn.
(c) Yudel Krinsky.
(d) The Rebbe.
11. Which museum do Rivkeh and Asher visit together?
(a) The Brooks Museum.
(b) The Brooklyn Museum.
(c) The Smithsonian.
(d) The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
12. In Chapter 2, when Asher begins to go to Yudel Krinsky's store for conversation, he feels that he has to buy something every time. What does he buy first?
(a) A notebook and a pencil.
(b) A box of stationery.
(c) Oil paints.
(d) A pen.
13. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(b) Playing tennis.
(d) Throwing darts.
14. What language does Mrs. Rackover speak?
15. In the first paragraph of Chapter 3, Aryeh announces the death of which world leader?
Short Answer Questions
1. After looking at what was left on his chair in the Rebbe's waiting room, Asher draws a picture and dates it using which calendar style?
2. What objects does the mashpia provide in order to see Asher's gift?
3. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
4. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
5. Yudel Krinsky describes which place as "a city of cafes and waltzes"?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)