|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Aryeh and Rivkeh begin to make plans to move to which European city?
(b) The Hague.
2. What does Asher's father make every morning for breakfast?
(b) Scrambled eggs.
(d) Orange juice.
3. Of whom does Asher frequently dream?
(a) The mashpia.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) His mythic ancestor.
(d) The Rebbe.
4. In Chapter 2, Aryeh is greatly disturbed at the brutal deaths of which group of people?
(a) Russian Jewish factory workers.
(b) Russian Jewish writers.
(c) Eastern European yeshiva teachers.
(d) German Jewish jewelers.
5. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
(a) South Africa.
6. What job did Yudel Krinsky have in Russia?
(a) Fixing furnaces.
(b) Selling paper and paints.
(c) Making brooches.
(d) Making hatpins.
7. What college does Rivkeh enter?
(a) New York University.
(b) Yeshiva College.
(c) Brooklyn College.
(d) Columbia University.
8. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
(a) Jacob Kahn.
(b) The Rebbe.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
9. What is Yitzchok Lev's profession?
10. Who does not come to the Lev home on Sundays, leaving Rivkeh and Asher to fix lunch for themselves?
(a) Mrs. Rackover.
(b) Yitzchok Lev.
(c) The Rebbe.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
11. Where does Asher live?
(a) Orange, New Jersey.
(d) Newark, New Jersey.
12. On what subject matter does the mashpia teach?
(a) Russian language.
(b) Jewish history.
(c) Ladover Hasidism.
(d) Social studies.
13. In Chapter 2, Aryeh becomes ill with what disease?
(c) The flu.
14. In Chapter 4, when Asher goes to Yudel Krinsky to ask him about Russian Jewish history, what is Yudel eating?
(a) A Seder meal.
(b) Bagels and lox.
(c) Cookies and milk.
(d) Hard-boiled eggs and matzos.
15. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
(b) The angel Michael.
(c) The Angel of Death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Asher meet in the store amidst many boxes of matzos?
2. On Shabbos afternoons, Aryeh returns to the synagogue alone in order to do what?
3. After looking at what was left on his chair in the Rebbe's waiting room, Asher draws a picture and dates it using which calendar style?
4. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
5. Which person's picture is on the wall in every classroom at Asher's school?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)