|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Aryeh is greatly disturbed at the brutal deaths of which group of people?
(a) Russian Jewish factory workers.
(b) German Jewish jewelers.
(c) Eastern European yeshiva teachers.
(d) Russian Jewish writers.
2. What is the phrase used to describe the origin of things that are not holy or good?
(a) Sitra achra.
(c) Ribbono shel olom.
(d) Krias shema.
3. What instrument does the Rebbe use to make a loud noise on Rosh Hashonoh?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A trombone.
(c) A tallis.
(d) A shofar.
4. What is Yitzchok Lev's profession?
5. What does the mashpia call Asher?
(a) Mr. Lev.
6. The Lev family doctor warns Asher about the lead in which color of paint?
(b) Flake white.
(d) Cadmium red.
7. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
(a) Studying Torah.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Reading a magazine.
8. In Chapter 2, Aryeh's travel becomes hindered by a snowstorm, leaving him stranded in which city?
9. What maintained observant Judaism in Russia during the years before World War II?
(a) The krias shema.
(b) The Rebbe.
(c) Ladover yeshivos.
(d) The synagogues.
10. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(c) Throwing darts.
(d) Playing tennis.
11. Which character does not want to leave Brooklyn to go to Europe?
(a) The Rebbe.
(b) Yitzchok Lev.
12. Which character does Asher meet in the store amidst many boxes of matzos?
(a) Joseph Cutler.
(b) The Rebbe.
(c) Jacob Kahn.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
13. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
(a) A pencil.
(b) One of Asher's paintbrushes.
(c) An eraser.
(d) A gingersnap.
14. What type of hat does Yudel Krinsky wear?
(a) A kaskett.
(b) A yarmulke.
(c) A fez.
(d) A toboggan.
15. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
(a) Stretched canvas.
(b) Charcoal pencils.
(c) Oil paints.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Asher's father make every morning for breakfast?
2. Yudel Krinsky begins to work in a store that sells what type of merchandise?
3. In what language does the mashpia communicate with his students?
4. Where do Asher and his family spend their summers?
5. In what language does Asher's school teach religion classes?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)