|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Asher is waiting to see the Rebbe, the other man in the waiting room is doing what?
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Studying Torah.
(d) Reading a magazine.
2. Of all the drawings Asher makes for the mashpia, which person does he not draw?
(b) Yudel Krinsky.
(c) The Rebbe.
3. When Asher enters the Rebbe's office, what is the first question the Rebbe asks?
(a) "How is your father?"
(b) "How is your mother?"
(c) "Is school going well?"
(d) "How are you?"
4. What maintained observant Judaism in Russia during the years before World War II?
(a) The krias shema.
(b) Ladover yeshivos.
(c) The synagogues.
(d) The Rebbe.
5. When Rivkeh is worried for Aryeh's safety, to which relative does she cry out?
(a) Yitzchok Lev.
(c) Her mother.
6. What does Asher steal in order to use the gift of his artistry?
(b) Charcoal pencils.
(c) Oil paints.
(d) Stretched canvas.
7. Yudel Krinsky describes Siberia as the home of which being?
(a) The Angel of Death.
(c) The angel Michael.
8. Who killed Aryeh's father?
(a) A peasant who was drunk.
(b) An American soldier.
(c) A rich Russian landowner.
9. What does the mashpia call Asher?
(b) Mr. Lev.
10. Which character does Asher meet in the store amidst many boxes of matzos?
(a) Yudel Krinsky.
(b) Jacob Kahn.
(c) Joseph Cutler.
(d) The Rebbe.
11. Asher begins to experience his art more deeply when what part of him changes?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His fingers.
(c) His heart.
(d) His brain.
12. In the first paragraph of Chapter 3, Aryeh announces the death of which world leader?
13. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
(c) South Africa.
14. At the beginning of Chapter 4, which person does Asher draw repeatedly?
(a) The Rebbe.
(c) Jacob Kahn.
(d) His mythic ancestor.
15. Where do Asher and his family spend their summers?
(a) Berkshire Mountains.
(b) Myrtle Beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. After looking at what was left on his chair in the Rebbe's waiting room, Asher draws a picture and dates it using which calendar style?
2. What is the place where Aryeh goes regularly to have a ritual bath?
3. What are the Shabbos songs called?
4. Who does not come to the Lev home on Sundays, leaving Rivkeh and Asher to fix lunch for themselves?
5. Aryeh plans to open which type of school in various places throughout Europe?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)