|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her long weeks of studying and of waiting for Aryeh to return, Rivkeh picks up the habit of gnawing on what object?
(a) An eraser.
(b) One of Asher's paintbrushes.
(c) A gingersnap.
(d) A pencil.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 5, Asher draws a picture of the burning of which building?
(a) Alexandria's library.
(b) The Louvre.
(c) The Parthenon.
(d) The Colosseum.
3. What does the housekeeper feed Asher as a bedtime snack?
(a) Orange juice.
(b) Hot chocolate.
(d) Cookies and milk.
4. According to the mashpia, which is the type of Jew who attains the greatest measure of righteousness?
(a) The rosho.
(b) The tzaddik.
(c) The benoni.
(d) The Ladover Hasid.
5. In Chapter 6, in order to please Aryeh, Asher begins to put energy into learning which two subjects?
(a) Talmud and Bible.
(b) English and Hebrew.
(c) Torah and mathematics.
(d) Hebrew and zemiros.
6. In Chapter 6, Asher begins to want to use which artistic medium and discovers that he cannot afford it?
(a) Chalk pastel.
(c) Oil paints.
7. Which character's unexpected death causes Rivkeh to fall into a serious depression?
(b) Asher's brother.
(d) The Rebbe.
8. Asher Lev introduces himself as being the painter of which great painting?
(b) Crucifixion at Dawn.
(c) Brooklyn Crucifixion.
9. Asher sees strong similarities between the face of the mashpia and the face of which other character?
(a) The Rebbe.
(c) Jacob Kahn.
(d) Yudel Krinsky.
10. What objects does the mashpia provide in order to see Asher's gift?
(a) A notebook and a pencil.
(b) A chalkboard and some chalk.
(c) A piece of canvas board and some paints.
(d) A piece of paper and a pen.
11. Jacob Kahn speaks with a slight accent from which country?
(c) South Africa.
12. In which summer activity do Asher's parents never engage?
(a) Playing tennis.
(d) Throwing darts.
13. Aryeh and Asher wear what type of traditional hairstyle?
(c) Shaved head.
14. When Rivkeh is worried for Aryeh's safety, to which relative does she cry out?
(c) Yitzchok Lev.
(d) Her mother.
15. Which painting does Jacob Kahn command Asher to study first?
(a) Chagall's Lovers in the Moonlight.
(b) Picasso's Guernica.
(c) Munch's The Scream.
(d) Van Gogh's Starry Night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following publications does Aryeh NOT read?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, the mashpia informs Asher that which person wants to meet with him?
3. In which academic discipline does Aryeh have a master's degree?
4. What is the place where Aryeh goes regularly to have a ritual bath?
5. After completing her undergraduate degree, Rivkeh pursues a master's degree in which academic discipline?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)