|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane say she was puzzled about as a five-year-old?
2. Why did Leakey offer Goodall a job?
3. What kind of mammal did Jane have an argument with her aunt about?
4. What was the name of the friend Goodall met in Kenya?
5. Why did Jane find it so difficult to learn German?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Louis Leakey discover a few years after Jane went fossil hunting with him?
2. What does Goodall say she does as an ethologist?
3. Why does Jane know no languages other than English?
4. What did Jane think of school?
5. What are ethologists?
6. What did Rusty teach Jane about animals?
7. How does Goodall say she first became interested in animals?
8. How did Goodall and her family cope during the war?
9. How did Jane learn to ride a horse?
10. In what way was Leakey responsible for starting Jane's obsession with chimpanzees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What regrets does Jane have about life? What pleases Jane about how she lived her life? What can you learn about life from reading Goodall's biography?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How do chimps live together? In what ways are their behaviors similar to those of humans? Can Jane's research into chimp behavior be beneficial for humans and how we live our own lives?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)