|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the grandfather's younger brother?
2. What does James say Mrs. Robertson embraces?
3. What country does Thurber visit one summer?
4. What rank does Thurber rise to in the military?
5. Where does Muggs go when Thurber punishes him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Thurbers do with Muggs when he dies?
2. Why does Muggs stop entering the house?
3. How does Mother respond to accusations that Muggs bites people?
4. Describe the Thurber's other two dogs mentioned in this chapter.
5. Why does Thurber fail to graduate from university?
6. How does Thurber feed the dog?
7. Why does Thurber say he is disappointed in the West Indies?
8. How does the mood if the book change in this chapter?
9. What does Thurber say about hypnotism?
10. Summarize chapter eight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thurber represent his family in the book? Does Thurber have any conflicts with his family and if so, how does he express these problems? How does Thurber's family shaped him as a person?
Essay Topic 2
How accurate do the students think Thurber's representation of World War drafting is? How does he change his representation so it fits in with the story's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Civil War change American society? How does Thurber express these changes?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)