|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Bassum's character?
2. What kind of sounds does Bassum make to help Boleciecwcz?
3. What country does the grandfather want to serve in?
4. Which member of Thurber's family is a veteran of the Battle of Missionary Ridge?
5. In which film did Barrymore play a Russian monk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Muggs deal with mice?
2. What problems does Father have with the servants?
3. Who is Mrs. Robertson?
4. What problems does Grandfather have with the electric roundabout?
5. How does Mother respond to accusations that Muggs bites people?
6. Summarize chapter eight.
7. How does Bassum try to help Bolenciecwcz pass his exams?
8. What happens in General Littlefield's office?
9. Why does Thurber claim that even Lord Jim found it difficult to run away?
10. Summarize chapter nine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Grandfather's reaction to the First World War say about the older generation's attitude to war? What is Thurber's opinion on war and how does he express it? How would Thurber have coped if he was drafted?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does Thurber use real life situations to create humor? What serious statements does Thurber make within his humor?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)