|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes beserk in this section?
2. Which member of Vashti's love triangle proves to be imaginary?
3. What Joseph Conrad character does Thurber reference in this section?
4. What kind of medication is Giddon comparing?
5. What is the name of the doctor that Thurber helps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the book.
2. What happens in General Littlefield's office?
3. Why does Thurber claim that even Lord Jim found it difficult to run away?
4. Who was Jack Johnson?
5. How does Thurber cope with the military drills?
6. Why does Vashti's lover leave her?
7. Why does Thurber have problems with his gymnasium class?
8. Summarize chapter eight.
9. How does Mother respond to accusations that Muggs bites people?
10. What happens when Thurber returns to the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters?
Essay Topic 2
How accurate do the students think Thurber's representation of World War drafting is? How does he change his representation so it fits in with the story's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What problems did Thurber have in his middle years? How does he express these problems in the final chapter? In what way does the final chapter change the tone of the book?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)