|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the residents worried will happen to them if they stay in Columbo?
2. What does someone yell in the theater?
3. How does Aunt Grace claim she scares off burglars?
4. What do Turber's family believe it is dangerous to use during storms?
5. Where does Thurber say he grew up as a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was General Meade?
2. How does Buck deal with his father's accusation that he is suffering from delirium?
3. How does Aunt Grace try to get rid of burglars every evening?
4. How do the family have to start the old REO?
5. Summarize chapter five.
6. How does Grandfather react when the police break into his room?
7. How does Thurber react when he hears the ghost?
8. What happens inside the movie theater?
9. What does Aunt write that she observed from the flood?
10. How does Aunt Sarah Shoaf counter her fear of burglars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thurber represent his family in the book? Does Thurber have any conflicts with his family and if so, how does he express these problems? How does Thurber's family shaped him as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are Thurber's opinions on war and the military? How does he express these opinions?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)