|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Herman and Thurber slam against the thing coming up the stairs?
2. Why does the Victrola annoy father?
3. Who do the police hear in the attic?
4. What does Roy say must have happened to his father?
5. Why did Thurber's father decide to sleep in the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thurber say happened to Zenas?
2. Why does Father dislike pushing the car?
3. How does Buck deal with his father's accusation that he is suffering from delirium?
4. Summarize chapter four.
5. What does Thurber say about earthquakes in this chapter?
6. How did the rumor that the dam had broken start?
7. How does Thurber reassure Briggs?
8. What is Father's relationship with his sons?
9. What do Grandmother and Mother fear about electricity?
10. How did the town react to their mistake about the burst dam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following character and examine how they influence Thurber's life.
Essay Topic 2
How does Thurber represent his family in the book? Does Thurber have any conflicts with his family and if so, how does he express these problems? How does Thurber's family shaped him as a person?
Essay Topic 3
How does Thurber's poor eyesight affect his life? What kind of person do the students think Thurber would have been if he had better eyesight?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)