|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the family dislikes the REO?
2. Why can't Mother use the phone?
3. What enters Thurber's house on 17. November, 1915?
4. What word causes panic among the 2,000 people?
5. What does Mallory confuse with the sound of rushing waters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thurber say about earthquakes in this chapter?
2. How did the town react to their mistake about the burst dam?
3. How does Aunt Grace try to get rid of burglars every evening?
4. Why does the record player wake up Father?
5. Summarize chapter five.
6. How could Grandfather caused the family to drown?
7. How did people react to the claim the dam had burst?
8. What is Briggs's nervous condition?
9. How does Thurber react when he hears the ghost?
10. Why does Mother oppose Father sleeping in the attic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between fiction and non-fiction in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 3
In what way could Thurber's memoirs be described as farce? How despite the farce does Thurber communicate the deep and at time complicated relationships he has with his family?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)