|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Thurber say he grew up as a boy?
2. What does Mother insist on talking about the next morning?
3. What is the only thing Thurber is wearing when the police arrive?
4. What word causes panic among the 2,000 people?
5. What is the name of Thurber's next door neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Grandmother and Mother fear about electricity?
2. What does Aunt write that she observed from the flood?
3. How did people react to the claim the dam had burst?
4. Summarize chapter four.
5. How does Aunt Grace try to get rid of burglars every evening?
6. How could Grandfather caused the family to drown?
7. Why does Mother oppose Father sleeping in the attic?
8. Why does the record player wake up Father?
9. What happens inside the movie theater?
10. How does Roy scare his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thurber represent his family in the book? Does Thurber have any conflicts with his family and if so, how does he express these problems? How does Thurber's family shaped him as a person?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Civil War change American society? How does Thurber express these changes?
Essay Topic 3
How did Thuber's time at Ohio State influence his later life? What indications are there that Thurber did not enjoy university?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)