|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dresses up as Zenas in this section?
2. How do the locals get the grandfather out of the town?
3. What item of his mother's clothes does Thurber put on before he speaks to the police?
4. What is Briggs afraid will happen to him if he falls asleep?
5. What is Aunt Sarah afraid will happen if she falls asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens inside the movie theater?
2. Summarize chapter four.
3. How did people react to the claim the dam had burst?
4. How could Grandfather caused the family to drown?
5. How does Aunt Sarah Shoaf counter her fear of burglars?
6. How did the rumor that the dam had broken start?
7. How do the family have to start the old REO?
8. Describe how the family erupts into chaos in the first chapter.
9. How does Thurber react when he hears the ghost?
10. Who was General Meade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following character and examine how they influence Thurber's life.
Essay Topic 2
What does Grandfather's reaction to the First World War say about the older generation's attitude to war? What is Thurber's opinion on war and how does he express it? How would Thurber have coped if he was drafted?
Essay Topic 3
How does Thurber represent his family in the book? Does Thurber have any conflicts with his family and if so, how does he express these problems? How does Thurber's family shaped him as a person?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)