|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has someone stolen from Thurber?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His ring.
(d) His pants.
2. When is Muggs particularly nasty?
(a) After dinner.
(b) In the mornings.
(c) Before bed.
(d) In the afternoon.
3. What sport does one of Thurber's colleagues help him to pass?
4. What does Gertie Straub pretend she is doing when she comes home drunk one night?
(d) Washing clothes.
5. What is the title of this chapter?
(a) Hard Times.
(b) A Note at the End.
(c) Middle Years.
(d) Country of the Blind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kramer fear being hypnotized?
2. What does the agricultural student decide to take up?
3. What do people swallow to avoid the army?
4. Which member of Vashti's love triangle proves to be imaginary?
5. What war is ending in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thurber say he is disappointed in the West Indies?
2. Summarize chapter nine.
3. How does riding the roller coaster affect Thurber?
4. Who was Jack Johnson?
5. How does Thurber feed the dog?
6. What happens when Thurber returns to the ship?
7. How does the mood if the book change in this chapter?
8. What do the Thurbers do with Muggs when he dies?
9. How do people try to avoid the army?
10. Why does Thurber fail to graduate from university?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)