|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thurber say keeps him tethered to physicians?
(a) His arthritis.
(b) His bunions.
(c) His weak eyes.
(d) His athlete's foot.
2. What does Gertie Straub pretend she is doing when she comes home drunk one night?
(d) Washing clothes.
3. Which member of Thurber's family is a veteran of the Battle of Missionary Ridge?
(a) Uncle Jimmy.
(b) Uncle Horatio.
4. What does Thurber say he lacks the proper perspective to do in his middle years?
5. What word best describes Bassum's character?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ride is the Scarlet Tornado?
2. What is General Littlefield doing when Thurber enters his office?
3. Where does Thurber say he previously get all his information about the West Indies?
4. What does Thurber say the cloud of his special discomfiture followed him like?
5. What does Thurber say he dislikes doing while naked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thurber claim happen to all men from Columbus who try to travel?
2. Why does Vashti's lover leave her?
3. What do the Thurbers do with Muggs when he dies?
4. What happens when Thurber returns to the ship?
5. How do people try to avoid the army?
6. Summarize chapter six.
7. What happens in General Littlefield's office?
8. What does Thurber say about hypnotism?
9. Why does Thurber claim that even Lord Jim found it difficult to run away?
10. Summarize the book.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)