|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the family use to knock the grandfather unconscious?
(a) An ironing board.
(b) A brick.
(c) An axe handle.
(d) A rock.
2. What fell on Thurber's father?
(a) A bowling ball.
(b) A book.
(c) A brick.
(d) A bed.
3. What do the Columbus believe has broken?
(a) The buses.
(b) The dam.
(c) The well.
(d) The sewage system.
4. What do Herman and Thurber slam against the thing coming up the stairs?
(a) A door.
(b) A tennis racket.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) A plank.
5. What is the name of Thurber's younger brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Briggs Breal related to Thurber?
2. Which member of the Thurber family usually sleeps in the attic?
3. What does Mother throw through the neighbor's window?
4. Why can't Mother use the phone?
5. What does Thurber say his mother enjoys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the family erupts into chaos in the first chapter.
2. How does Thurber reassure Briggs?
3. How did the rumor that the dam had broken start?
4. What is Father's relationship with his sons?
5. How do the family have to start the old REO?
6. How does Buck deal with his father's accusation that he is suffering from delirium?
7. What does Thurber say about earthquakes in this chapter?
8. How does Thurber react when he hears the ghost?
9. Why does Mother oppose Father sleeping in the attic?
10. How does Thurber's mother get overexcited in this chapter?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)