|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do people complain to about Muggs?
(a) The dog home.
(b) The local council.
(c) The fire brigade.
(d) The police.
2. What is the name of the grandfather's younger brother?
3. Where does the grandfather practice with the electric runabout?
(a) Franklin Park.
(b) Central Park.
(c) Jellystone Park.
(d) Lincoln Park.
4. When is Muggs in a good mood?
(a) After a meal.
(b) Before bed.
(d) In the morning.
5. What does Juanamma Kramer fear?
(a) Being hypnotized.
(b) Being the center of attention.
(c) Being locking in a cupboard.
(d) Cooking a family dinner.
6. What country does the grandfather want to serve in?
7. What does Thurber say the cloud of his special discomfiture followed him like?
(a) A pup.
(b) A cat.
(c) A fly.
(d) A child.
8. What university did Thurber attend?
(a) New York State.
(b) Ohio State.
9. What does Mrs. Robertson think the cricket in the basement is watching?
(d) The devil.
10. What word best describes Bassum's character?
11. What problems does Mugs have shortly before his death?
(a) He starts hearing voices.
(b) He goes blind.
(c) He starts seeing things.
(d) He goes death.
12. Which of the following words best describes the agricultural student's prose?
13. What does Thurber say not even Lord Jim can run away from?
(a) His dream world.
(b) His love life.
(c) His wife.
(d) His own special discomfiture.
14. What is Dora doing when the police arrive?
(a) Barricading her room.
(b) Beating her lover.
(c) Shooting a gun.
(d) Talking to her mother on the phone.
15. Who are the immortals?
(a) The local boys.
(b) The gardeners.
(c) The family servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes shortly after Thurber's last failed examination?
2. What Joseph Conrad character does Thurber reference in this section?
3. Who does Dora Gedd injure in her bedroom?
4. What country does Thurber visit one summer?
5. What writer does Thurber reference in this section?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)