|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people name the day everyone fled the town?
(a) Day of the Phantom Dam.
(b) Fire, Dam and Help.
(c) Silly Beggars.
(d) Afternoon of the Great Run.
2. What kind of car do the family own?
(a) An REO.
(b) A cadillac.
(c) A station wagon.
(d) A mini.
3. What does Thurber say he is fresh from at 1.15 am?
(a) A bath.
(b) A run.
(c) A walk.
(d) A shower.
4. What wakes up Father at 10.30 pm?
(a) The boys' victola.
(b) A cat fight.
(c) Mother's complaining.
(d) The dog's barking.
5. What is the name of Thurber's next door neighbors?
(a) The Bodwells.
(b) The Yearlys.
(c) The Regals.
(d) The Petersens.
6. What war was Zenas trying to avoid?
(a) World War One
(b) The Boer War.
(c) The War of Independence.
(d) The Civil War.
7. What is the name of the town's doctor?
8. Who do the police hear in the attic?
(a) The ghost.
(d) The burglar.
9. Which member of the family dislikes the REO?
(b) The father.
(c) The mother.
10. What are the residents worried will happen to them if they stay in Columbo?
(a) They will be shot.
(b) They be drafted.
(c) They will be electrocuted.
(d) They will drown.
11. Why did Thurber's father decide to sleep in the attic?
(a) So he could read.
(b) So he could get away from his wife.
(c) So he could think.
(d) So he could watch the stars.
12. What does Mallory confuse with the sound of rushing waters?
(a) Rolling skates.
(c) A child's scream.
13. What does Roy pretend to be suffering from when he shouts in his father's ear?
14. What does Mother throw through the neighbor's window?
(a) A plate.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A shoe.
(d) A brick.
15. What do the Columbus believe has broken?
(a) The dam.
(b) The buses.
(c) The well.
(d) The sewage system.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Father threaten to get?
2. What is Aunt Sarah afraid will happen if she falls asleep?
3. Who does Thurber wake up to ask about New Jersey towns?
4. What is the name of Thurber's younger brother?
5. Why does Thurber's mother oppose the idea of Turber's father sleeping in the attic?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)