|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The villagers in the outer regions of Tibet were forced to join a kind of militia but were called into service only for what?
(a) Perimeter security.
(b) Initial lines of defense.
(c) Necessary situations.
(d) Final lines of defense.
2. Whom was David-Neel a guest of in Tibet for a time prior to her Lhasa trip?
(a) The Dalai Lama.
(b) The Penchen Lama.
(c) The Lama Yongden.
(d) The Red Cap Lama.
3. The Dalai Lama had heard of David-Neel's scholarship in what field before they met?
(a) Tibetan government.
(b) Tibetan history.
(c) Tibetan customs.
(d) Tibetan religion.
4. As a lama might, what did David-Neel do before this well-dressed man who greeted her and moved on without a word?
(a) She laid her hand on his head.
(b) She laid her hand on his arm.
(c) She laid her hand on his left shoulder.
(d) She laid her hand on his right shoulder.
5. Once at the shrine, the pilgrims were instructed by Yongden to remain for how long, walking around it daily as they recited prayers?
(a) Five days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man David-Neel and Yongden shared their morning meal with invited them to spend that night at his home located where?
2. What river did David-Neel and Yongden initially follow on their trek?
3. Yongden's success at "curing" the pilgrim's legs made him a bit of a what in the next village?
4. What was it David-Neel's trip to Lhasa came about as a result of?
5. When David-Neel and Yongden returned to their path where they had first seen the unexpected village, what did they discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did David-Neel initially discover when she crossed the pass into Tibet for the first time?
2. How did David-Neel describe the scenery of the Nu Valley?
3. Why did the locals use the phrase "Vulture's Cemetery" to describe the highest peak in the Kha Karpo range?
4. As David-Neel and Yongden approached the Pedo monastery, what transpired?
5. Why were David-Neel and Yongden advised by a local man to go to the Pedo monastery?
6. What frightened David-Neel and Yongden at the opening of Chapter III?
7. What event that David-Neel described as both "comical" and "unpleasant" transpired when she dyed her hair with Chinese ink to complete her disguise?
8. Why was it in Chapter III, Yongden became quite anxious after he spoke with some pilgrims and then rejoined David-Neel on their journey?
9. What was one concern David-Neel noted near the start of Chapter I that would follow her and Yongden during much of their journey, especially the initial half?
10. What was it Alexandra David-Neel wrote she craved to do as a young child?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)