|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. David-Neel and Yongden reached the mountain pass as a blizzard came over and forced them to endure the snow for how long?
(a) 1 full day.
(b) 3 full days.
(c) 2 full days.
(d) Nearly a week.
2. Yongden was continually stopped and asked to perform what type of rituals along their way?
3. When David-Neel and Yongden returned to their path where they had first seen the unexpected village, what did they discover?
(a) It was no longer there.
(b) It was similar to others but cleaner.
(c) It was like others but larger.
(d) It was typical of others.
4. As David-Neel and Yongden ate one morning, a man they recognized approached from what group of individuals that gave them alms earlier?
(a) Village chiefs.
(b) Religious leaders.
(c) Tibetan soldiers.
(d) Wealthy landowners.
5. Yongden and David-Neel arranged to travel in Tibet disguised as what type of pilgrims?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did David-Neel and Lama Yongden pose themselves as to enter Tibet undetected?
2. David-Neel and the other passenger hung suspended over the gorge until one of the ferrymen did what?
3. What ruse did David-Neel use to conceal her crossing with Yongden at the border into Tibet without her two Chinese servants knowing?
4. Yongden was what type of lama widely recognized as having the ability to tell fortunes and perform exorcisms and other mystic rites?
5. Yongden belonged to a sect that did not recognize superstitious beliefs, so what was his course?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the locals use the phrase "Vulture's Cemetery" to describe the highest peak in the Kha Karpo range?
2. When David-Neel and Yongden came down from the pass called Tong la, what did she learn about the river she found in front of her?
3. Why was it David-Neel was not altogether unfamiliar with Tibet when she went on a research expedition to the East in 1910?
4. As David-Neel and Yongden approached the Pedo monastery, what transpired?
5. Why were David-Neel and Yongden advised by a local man to go to the Pedo monastery?
6. How did David-Neel describe the scenery of the Nu Valley?
7. How did David-Neel describe travel in Tibet as she approached the pass called Tong la?
8. Why was it in Chapter III, Yongden became quite anxious after he spoke with some pilgrims and then rejoined David-Neel on their journey?
9. What event that David-Neel described as both "comical" and "unpleasant" transpired when she dyed her hair with Chinese ink to complete her disguise?
10. What was one concern David-Neel noted near the start of Chapter I that would follow her and Yongden during much of their journey, especially the initial half?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)