|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. David-Neel and Yongden continued to trek along what river as they got ever nearer their goal?
(a) The Kyi.
(b) The Brahmaputra.
(c) The Saptakoshi.
(d) The Mekong.
2. What was the pageant David-Neel described at the end of Chapter VII called?
(c) Sho Dun.
(d) Tsong Khapa.
3. David-Neel and a boarder's wife became embroiled in a domestic fight when they aided the wife of their drunkard host, a matter that ended with David-Neel being informed she would have to do what?
(a) Find another place to stay.
(b) Testify for the drunkard host's wife.
(c) Testify for both wives.
(d) Testify for the boarder's wife.
4. After their guide left and he and David-Neel hike through the pass, Yongden's chief concerns were snow and what else?
(a) Possible bands of thieves.
(b) Their dwindling food supply.
(c) Being disscovered.
(d) Their dwindling water supply.
5. When the lean-to failed, David-Neel and Yongden went on until noon when they found what to keep reasonably warm in?
(a) An empty summer barn.
(b) An earthen cave
(c) An abandoned camp.
(d) An empty summer cabin.
6. At what village were David-Neel and Yongden able to replenish their provisions after their encounter with the strange lama?
7. On the night David-Neel had returned to their shelter near the fence, she awoke and imagined she heard what?
(b) Fog horns.
(d) Musical instruments.
8. As David-Neel and Yongden moved along the mountain path, what did they learn about high passes from villagers they begged shelter from?
(a) One was probably closed.
(b) One was definitely closed.
(c) All were probably closed,
(d) All were probably open.
9. While David-Neel and Yongden found protection from the weather around noon, they had but a little dried Tibetan grain food called what?
(b) Tshu lu ma.
(c) Shing tog.
(d) Star kha.
10. How was it David-Neel found the palace on the hill in Lhasa to appear from the exterior beyond enormous?
(a) Artistically painted.
(b) Having many Buddha statues and prayer flags.
(c) Colorfully decorated for the New Year.
(d) Somewhat crude and plain.
11. Where were David-Neel and Yongden drifting off to sleep as Chapter IV came to an end?
(a) In the house of a well-off farm family.
(b) In a camp built near a mountain stream.
(c) In the barn of an abandoned farm.
(d) In the house of a mountain villager.
12. The day after they got water, David-Neel and Yongden hiked toward their mountain pass top but were stunned to see a huge what ahead?
(a) River gorge.
(b) Expanse of snow.
(c) Jagged ridge.
(d) Placid lake.
13. Using her pistol would not scare these armed robbers who would shoot back, so instead David-Neel did what?
(a) She yelled out that it was unforgiveable for the men to rob a lama.
(b) She called out that it was disgraceful for the men to rob a lama.
(c) She pleaded with the men who would take the last money of a lama.
(d) She cried out upon various terrible Tibetan deities to curse the men.
14. What sudden, loud noise awakened David-Neel at the camp made after she and Yongden found the ridge marker and hiked down?
(a) Melting ice on a nearby river had cracked.
(b) Yongden had fired a shot to scare away a wolf.
(c) Close thunder had rumbled through the valley.
(d) A Tibetan hunter had fired his gun not far off.
15. Afraid the two strangers David-Neel ran off might return with support, she and Yongden quickly packed up and fled and were fortunate to find a group of what with which they could safely travel?
Short Answer Questions
1. David-Neel wore a head cover as she entered the Lhasa palace, but who scolded her to remove it as hats were not to be worn inside?
2. David-Neel and Yongden built a lean-to to protect against the snow, but she awoke and found what?
3. On the third day after Yongden incurred his injury, he and David-Neel slowly limped how long before they realize they had gone the wrong way?
4. On the evening David-Neel and Yongden had returned to their shelter near the fence, she checked her calendar and discovered it was what date?
5. At the start of Chapter IV, David-Neel and Yongden approached the region known as Po with how many roads across it?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)