|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what village were David-Neel and Yongden able to replenish their provisions after their encounter with the strange lama?
2. The day after David-Neel and Yongden camped following their descent from the ridge marker, how did the terrain affect their trek?
(a) It was rocky, and its slope greatly impeded them.
(b) It was sandy, and its slope greatly hindered them.
(c) It was neither hard nor sandy, but its slope slowed them.
(d) It was neither hard nor sandy, and its slope aided them.
3. One night a strange lama came up to the pair's fire seemingly out of nowhere, crouched near them, and remained silent for how long?
(a) Not at all.
(b) A long time.
(c) A few minutes.
(d) Only a minute.
4. On the night David-Neel had returned to their shelter near the fence, she awoke and imagined she heard what?
(b) Fog horns.
(d) Musical instruments.
5. What temple was the second most important place David-Neel wished to visit, as there she could view a statue of the Buddha that reportedly was from India?
(a) The JTo Khang.
(b) The Jo Sakya.
(c) The Kagyu.
(d) The Nyingma.
6. How was it David-Neel found the palace on the hill in Lhasa to appear from the exterior beyond enormous?
(a) Artistically painted.
(b) Having many Buddha statues and prayer flags.
(c) Somewhat crude and plain.
(d) Colorfully decorated for the New Year.
7. After David-Neel and Yongden slept the rest of the day and night out of the snow, Yongden hurt himself how the next day?
(a) He sprained his knee.
(b) He sprained his ankle.
(c) He broke his hip.
(d) He sprained his toes.
8. While David-Neel and Yongden found protection from the weather around noon, they had but a little dried Tibetan grain food called what?
(a) Shing tog.
(b) Star kha.
(d) Tshu lu ma.
9. At the start of Chapter IV, David-Neel and Yongden approached the region known as Po with how many roads across it?
10. On the unmapped path, David-Neel and Yongden risked running into bands of thieves who might kill them to keep what secret?
(a) Their methods.
(b) Their hiding places.
(c) Their identities.
(d) Their stolen goods.
11. The stranger supposedly went to get his cheese, but he quickly came back with another man and they began to barter for what?
(a) The tent and the common spoons.
(b) The needles and the small compass.
(c) The small compass and the tent.
(d) The common spoons and the needles.
12. David-Neel and Yongden agreed to trade what in exchange for cheese the stranger who spied their open packs had?
(a) Two spoons.
13. Where were David-Neel and Yongden drifting off to sleep as Chapter IV came to an end?
(a) In the house of a well-off farm family.
(b) In the house of a mountain villager.
(c) In the barn of an abandoned farm.
(d) In a camp built near a mountain stream.
14. At the village where the pair replenished their provisions following their encounter with the strange lama, what did Yongden replace?
(a) His medicinal healing bracelet.
(b) His lama cap.
(c) His ragged clothing.
(d) His prayer flag.
15. Yongden could stand the day after David-Neel returned, so she helped him down to the forest and found what about the path?
(a) It was only sporadically marked.
(b) It was well marked.
(c) It was nearly unmarked.
(d) It was fairly well marked.
Short Answer Questions
1. David-Neel and Yongden walked through the pass after the guide left, and Yongden's fear that it would snow materialized when?
2. After their guide left and he and David-Neel hike through the pass, Yongden's chief concerns were snow and what else?
3. Many pilgrims had arrived in Lhasa for the New Year celebrations, so how long was it until David-Neel obtained a place to stay?
4. Afraid the two strangers David-Neel ran off might return with support, she and Yongden quickly packed up and fled and were fortunate to find a group of what with which they could safely travel?
5. David-Neel and Yongden had a narrow escape when he was stopped by armed robbers on the path ahead of her when they took how many rupes and began to open his pack?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)