|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was it David-Neel managed to meet the Dalai Lama?
(a) Through her persistence.
(b) Through her bribery.
(c) Through her subterfuge.
(d) Through her double-dealing.
2. David-Neel was alarmed when a villager who stopped to share food noticed her pale hands and remarked they were like what?
(a) A philing's.
(b) A white flower.
(c) The moon.
(d) Fresh snow.
3. On the day after the blizzard cleared, how long did David-Neel and Yongden walk before they unexpectedly came upon a village?
(a) About the time they usually took to hiding.
(b) Roughly an hour after they started.
(c) Well past the time they usually took to hiding.
(d) Well before the time they usually took to hiding.
4. How did David-Neel and Yongden perceive a village they unexpectedly came upon following the blizzard different from other villages?
(a) It was like a small city with villas, parks, and palaces.
(b) It was like a small city with modern buildings and outlying cottages.
(c) It was like a quasi-industrial setting with small mills and factories.
(d) It was like a small town with outlying farms and cottages.
5. How was this incident where the pilgrim's legs were "cured" indicative of David-Neel and Yongden's approach to Tibetan spirituality?
(a) They believed all mystical elements and saw none as superstition.
(b) They believed two mystical elements but saw remainder as superstition.
(c) They believed no mystical elements and saw all as superstition.
(d) They believed some mystical elements but saw others as superstition.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Dalai Lama had heard of David-Neel's scholarship in what field before they met?
2. As Chapter II ended, how did David-Neel salute an official after he gave Yongden a coin when she begged for alms?
3. What excuse did Yongden give why David-Neel did not eat or speak when they came upon the group that passed earlier later at lunch?
4. What did the wealthy woman traveling by horse and with several servants question David-Neel and Yongden about?
5. Whom did David-Neel identify as having carried a concealed revolver on the journey to Lhasa?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)