|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flooring is in Granny's apartment?
2. In Chapter 34, how many Harry Potter movies does Elsa tell her dad that there are?
3. In Chapter 30, when Alf says that a young medical student moved into the apartment building when he was a child, how did the medical student say she could live on the top floor?
4. In Chapter 27, what does Elsa not like on her veggie burgers?
5. In Chapter 33, what does Ulrika say that Elsa has from her grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alf suggest that Elsa and her father get to the hospital in Chapter 31?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 26, what does Elsa know about the best stories?
3. What is a moo-gun?
4. Why is it difficult to end a fairy tale?
5. In Chapter 33, who is the doctor that Elsa thinks she recognizes when she goes to the hospital?
6. In Chapter 19, what does Elsa remember Granny doing with the free newspapers that she asked not to be delivered to her?
7. What is Mipardonus?
8. In Chapter 30, what do Alf and Elsa buy when they go out in Taxi?
9. What are fears in the Land-of-Almost-Awake?
10. Why did Ulrika not want to hear the stories of the Land-of-Almost-Awake when she was younger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Granny’s death, Elsa has fluctuating feelings for her grandmother. How do Elsa’s grief and what she learns about her grandmother cause her to hate and love her grandmother?
Essay Topic 2
The tenants at the apartment house are all connected in some way. What connections are there between the tenants and how do those connections make their lives easier or more difficult?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Elsa has a closer relationship to Granny than to her parents. How do Elsa’s relationships with her parents change through the experiences that Elsa has in the novel?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)