|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7 what font is used on a sign forbidding strollers in the vestibule?
2. When is Elsa's birthday?
3. In Chapter 6, how many bags of chocolates does Elsa stuff through the mail slot for Our Friend?
4. In Chapter 18, who does the accountant call about a tenants' meeting?
5. What is the name of the woman who lives with Elsa's dad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does The Monster's flat look like?
2. What events happened the same day that Elsa was born?
3. How is Granny described in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 6, why does Elsa hate Mondays?
5. In Chapter 3, who lives in the flat below Lennart and Maud?
6. What happens in the apartment building where Elsa's family lives at the end of Chapter 4?
7. In Chapter 18 in Elsa's dream, who does she see wandering in the shadows?
8. What does Alf do when he comes to pick up Elsa in Chapter 17?
9. What is Britt-Marie upset in Chapter 7?
10. Who does Britt-Marie say was looking for Elsa in Chapter 18, and what did she tell the person to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Granny’s stories are full of symbolism. Who and what does the princess in the kingdom of sorrow represent in real life and what is the importance of the symbolism in the story?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Elsa has a closer relationship to Granny than to her parents. How do Elsa’s relationships with her parents change through the experiences that Elsa has in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Granny is Elsa’s only friend. How is Elsa different from children her age, and why does that make Granny Elsa’s only friend?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)