|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II: Chapter 11, The Enchanted Archipelago, what addition is made to the Sea Cow?
2. Aside from the sirocco, what impedes Margo's return from the island where she seeks solitude?
3. What is the name of Gerry's book that he starts writing in Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies?
4. What colors are the cyclamen that grow under the olive trees?
5. What event gets Margo out of the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
2. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
3. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
4. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
5. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
6. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
7. At the end of Part III: Chapter 13, The Snow-White Villa, why does Theodore ponder the idea of having the toads swallow swords?
8. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
9. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
10. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerry's education, or lack thereof, is almost a constant consideration of Mother's and the family. Throughout the book, Gerry has several tutors, George, the Belgian consul, Peter, and Mr. Kralefsky. Compare and contrast their methods of trying to tutor Gerry. How did Gerry teach them?
Essay Topic 2
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
In Part II: Chapter 7, The Daffodil-Yellow Villa, Gerry watches two couples of swallows building nests and feeding their young. Compare and contrast the swallow's fathering behaviors to that of a human father.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)