|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What languages do the magenpies learn to speak?
2. What does Gerry name the gecko that takes up residence in his bedroom?
3. Where does Spiro obtain Gerry's goldfish?
4. Who is Gerry's tutor in the beginning of Part III: Chapter 14, The Talking Flowers?
5. Who does Gerry walk to the sea with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
2. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
3. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
4. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
5. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
6. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
7. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
8. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
9. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
10. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
Essay Topic 2
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
The Durrell family children, although siblings, are all very unique in their own ways. Select two of the Durrell children and compare and contrast their characteristics. For example, what affect has Mother's parenting played in their attitudes?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)