|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Durrell family described on the train back to England?
2. How does winter come to the island of Corfu?
3. Why does Gerry go to the sea in Part 3, Chapter 17?
4. What is the name given to Gerry's boat?
5. What are the Chessboard Fields named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
2. How did Mr. Kralefsky's tall tales of saving ladies from danger get him two broken ribs?
3. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
4. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
5. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
6. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
7. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
8. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
9. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
10. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme throughout the book is that of discovery. Every chapter is filled with numerous natural history finds by Gerry, whether they be in the garden, countryside, or at Theodore's home. From chapter to chapter, each discovery seems more exciting than the next. Explain the series and succession of Gerry's natural history discoveries and how they exemplify the theme of discovery.
Essay Topic 2
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Durrell family's entry onto the island of Corfu. Why do you think it was important to Larry to enter with majestic pose? Did Mother or Larry's siblings share his idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)