|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II: Chapter 11, The Enchanted Archipelago, what addition is made to the Sea Cow?
2. How does the family feel about Great Aunt Hermione?
3. Where is the Durrell family planning to move in Part II: Conversation?
4. Why are the sea fauna greatly attracted to the archipelago?
5. What are the Chessboard Fields named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
2. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
3. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
4. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
5. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
6. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
7. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
8. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
9. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
10. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the Durrell family argues over much, but only once do they agree on something. What is it that they agree on, and what is the significance of this event to the family and the story?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways was Spiro the Durrell family's guardian throughout the book? Cite examples throughout the book. Why did Spiro choose to take on the family to look after?
Essay Topic 3
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)