|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Spiro obtain Gerry's goldfish?
2. How many baby magpies does Gerry take from the nest?
3. What does Larry find in the matchbox when he wants to light his cigarette?
4. What does the crumbling wall that surrounded the sunken garden provide Gerry?
5. What is Kralefsky's special interest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
2. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
3. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
4. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
5. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
6. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
7. How did Mr. Kralefsky's tall tales of saving ladies from danger get him two broken ribs?
8. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
9. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
10. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother oftentimes let the children argue amongst themselves until the words became harsh and mean. What does this say about her mothering style? How was it effective or not? If not, how do you think it would have been best to handle Larry, Leslie, Margo, and Gerry? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways was Spiro the Durrell family's guardian throughout the book? Cite examples throughout the book. Why did Spiro choose to take on the family to look after?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Theodore Stephanides is socially awkward, especially with greeting people and then parting ways. Discuss your theory as to why he has this social awkwardness.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)