|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What riveting news does Mother receive in a letter from Great Aunt Hermione?
2. What colors are the cyclamen that grow under the olive trees?
3. Instead of catching Old Plop, what does Gerry catch?
4. What event occurs at the end of Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter that causes the family great distress?
5. Why does Gerry go to the sea in Part 3, Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
2. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
3. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
4. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
5. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
6. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
7. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
8. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
9. How did Mr. Kralefsky's tall tales of saving ladies from danger get him two broken ribs?
10. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Durrell family children were young when the arrived on the island of Corfu, Larry was twenty-three, Leslie nineteen, Margo eighteen, and Gerry ten. Five years later they left the island bound for England. How were the children portrayed at the beginning of the book? At the end? Explain their character growth, if any over the five year span on Corfu.
Essay Topic 2
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)