|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies, who tutors Gerry in the summer?
2. What does Mother name her Dandy Dinmont?
3. Why do Gerry and Kralefsky go to the top of his house?
4. What is the name of the black-backed gull Gerry acquires from the criminal?
5. Where is the Durrell family planning to move in Part II: Conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
2. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
3. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
4. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
5. At the end of Part III: Chapter 13, The Snow-White Villa, why does Theodore ponder the idea of having the toads swallow swords?
6. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
7. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
8. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
9. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
10. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margo is dramatic throughout the book. Cite some of her more dramatic entrances or exits. Were her emotions warranted, or do you think she was overly dramatic?
Essay Topic 2
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Durrell family's entry onto the island of Corfu. Why do you think it was important to Larry to enter with majestic pose? Did Mother or Larry's siblings share his idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)