|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gerry reaches the nest at the top of the olive tree, what do his dogs below look like?
2. Under the loose plaster of the crumbing wall, what does Gerry find?
3. How does Kralefsky teach Gerry the French language?
4. What is Kralefsky's special interest?
5. Which two Durrell family members get motion sickness in the boats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
2. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
3. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
4. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
5. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
6. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
7. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
8. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
9. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
10. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerry places great significance in the family assisting him in christening all the creatures he brings home with a name. Why is it important to Gerry to have the family help name his animals, especially when they rarely agree on anything?
Essay Topic 2
The Durrell family children, although siblings, are all very unique in their own ways. Select two of the Durrell children and compare and contrast their characteristics. For example, what affect has Mother's parenting played in their attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Durrell family's entry onto the island of Corfu. Why do you think it was important to Larry to enter with majestic pose? Did Mother or Larry's siblings share his idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)