|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kralefsky end up with two broken ribs?
2. In Part II: Conversation, where does the family spend most of its time eating, sleeping, reading, and/or arguing?
3. Where does Mother say she wants to be buried?
4. At the snow-white villa, what does Gerry get on intimate terms with?
5. What is wrong with Theodore's friend's house when another floor is added?
Short Essay Questions
1. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
2. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
3. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
4. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
5. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
6. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
7. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
8. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
9. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
10. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
Essay Topic 2
Mother oftentimes let the children argue amongst themselves until the words became harsh and mean. What does this say about her mothering style? How was it effective or not? If not, how do you think it would have been best to handle Larry, Leslie, Margo, and Gerry? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 3
On the second morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, Larry is disturbed by a donkey braying. He requires someone, besides himself, to remedy the problem. When Leslie asks why they should handle it when it is not bothering them, Larry calls the family selfish, and blames Mother for bringing them up that way. Do you agree with Larry's assessment of the family? Why or why not? Do you agree that it is Mother's fault? Why or why not?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)