|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Leslie's bath impeded in Part 3, Chapter 18?
2. Who does Gerry walk to the sea with?
3. From what union does Dodo bear a puppy?
4. Who does Gerry ask to build him a boat so he can visit the archipelago?
5. What is the name of Gerry's book that he starts writing in Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
2. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
3. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
4. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
5. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
6. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
7. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
8. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
9. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
10. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
Essay Topic 2
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
In Part II: Chapter 7, The Daffodil-Yellow Villa, Gerry watches two couples of swallows building nests and feeding their young. Compare and contrast the swallow's fathering behaviors to that of a human father.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)