|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gerry's tutor in the beginning of Part III: Chapter 14, The Talking Flowers?
2. Why does Mother dispense of Peter's services?
3. What does Kralefsky's mother think about flowers?
4. Which two Durrell family members get motion sickness in the boats?
5. When returning to the villa with his horn blaring, what does Spiro have with him for the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
2. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
3. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
4. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
5. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
6. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
7. At the end of Part III: Chapter 13, The Snow-White Villa, why does Theodore ponder the idea of having the toads swallow swords?
8. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
9. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
10. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Gerry places great significance in the family assisting him in christening all the creatures he brings home with a name. Why is it important to Gerry to have the family help name his animals, especially when they rarely agree on anything?
Essay Topic 3
Gerry is very descriptive of seasons, people, events, and places on Corfu. Why do you think he chose such elaborate detail for his book? Do you think this helps the reader get a better picture of what is going on? Do you think the description is distracting to the reader?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)