|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the sea fauna greatly attracted to the archipelago?
2. At the end of Part II: Conversation, what proverb does Margo share about change?
3. Aside from the sirocco, what impedes Margo's return from the island where she seeks solitude?
4. When Spiro brings the mail, what does the bulk of Margo's mail consist of?
5. How does winter come to the island of Corfu?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
2. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
3. At the end of Part III: Chapter 13, The Snow-White Villa, why does Theodore ponder the idea of having the toads swallow swords?
4. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
5. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
6. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
7. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
8. How did Mr. Kralefsky's tall tales of saving ladies from danger get him two broken ribs?
9. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
10. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on Corfu, the Durrell family lived in three different villas. Explain the differences in each villa by comparing the home, gardens, and countryside of each. In theory, which was Gerry's favorite villa and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Durrell family's entry onto the island of Corfu. Why do you think it was important to Larry to enter with majestic pose? Did Mother or Larry's siblings share his idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)