|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Chessboard Fields named after?
2. How does the family feel about Great Aunt Hermione?
3. Why is the snow-white villa given its name?
4. How does winter come to the island of Corfu?
5. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
2. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
3. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
4. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
5. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
6. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
7. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
8. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
9. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
10. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the Durrell family argues over much, but only once do they agree on something. What is it that they agree on, and what is the significance of this event to the family and the story?
Essay Topic 3
While on Corfu, the Durrell family lived in three different villas. Explain the differences in each villa by comparing the home, gardens, and countryside of each. In theory, which was Gerry's favorite villa and why?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)