|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Old Plop?
2. Where does Mother say she wants to be buried?
3. What is Kralefsky's special interest?
4. What is the name of the black-backed gull Gerry acquires from the criminal?
5. As a result of the matchbox incident, what happens to Gerry?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
2. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
3. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
4. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
5. How did Mr. Kralefsky's tall tales of saving ladies from danger get him two broken ribs?
6. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
7. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
8. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
9. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
10. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on Corfu, the Durrell family lived in three different villas. Explain the differences in each villa by comparing the home, gardens, and countryside of each. In theory, which was Gerry's favorite villa and why?
Essay Topic 2
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gerry places great significance in the family assisting him in christening all the creatures he brings home with a name. Why is it important to Gerry to have the family help name his animals, especially when they rarely agree on anything?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)