|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry say "danced and twisted like wind-blown confetti" in the summer?
2. In Part II: Chapter 11, The Enchanted Archipelago, what addition is made to the Sea Cow?
3. What does Larry find in the matchbox when he wants to light his cigarette?
4. From what union does Dodo bear a puppy?
5. What does Kralefsky's mother think about flowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
2. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
3. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
4. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
5. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
6. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
7. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
8. At the end of Part III: Chapter 13, The Snow-White Villa, why does Theodore ponder the idea of having the toads swallow swords?
9. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
10. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the weather in England and Corfu during the month of August, and the effects on the family.
Essay Topic 3
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)