|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
2. After their swim in Chapter 5, where do Gerry and Roger go for a snack?
3. Larry becomes overweight in the spring. Which of the following is one of Margo's suggested diets?
4. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
5. Who explores the countryside with Gerry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
2. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
3. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
4. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
5. Who instigates the move to Corfu and why?
6. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
7. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
8. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
9. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
10. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spiro had a belligerent side and a loveable one too. The taxi drivers and customs officials felt his wrath, while the Durrell family only received his love and kindness. Compare and contrast these too very different sides of Spiro.
Essay Topic 2
The Durrell family children, although siblings, are all very unique in their own ways. Select two of the Durrell children and compare and contrast their characteristics. For example, what affect has Mother's parenting played in their attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)