|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
2. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
3. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
4. Who, out of the Durrell family, does Spiro adore the most?
5. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 4, what does Gerry's Mother decide for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
2. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
3. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
4. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
5. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
6. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
7. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
8. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
9. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
10. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Durrell family children, although siblings, are all very unique in their own ways. Select two of the Durrell children and compare and contrast their characteristics. For example, what affect has Mother's parenting played in their attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
This section contains 1,567 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)