|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gerry's most exciting discovery?
2. How many years does the Durrell family stay on Corfu?
3. What is the name of the family dog?
4. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
5. What does Roger do with the pebbles Gerry found in the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
2. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
3. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
4. How did spring affect Mother, when left undisturbed by Larry? What affect did this have on Larry?
5. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
6. Who instigates the move to Corfu and why?
7. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
8. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
9. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
10. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the second morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, Larry is disturbed by a donkey braying. He requires someone, besides himself, to remedy the problem. When Leslie asks why they should handle it when it is not bothering them, Larry calls the family selfish, and blames Mother for bringing them up that way. Do you agree with Larry's assessment of the family? Why or why not? Do you agree that it is Mother's fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways was Spiro the Durrell family's guardian throughout the book? Cite examples throughout the book. Why did Spiro choose to take on the family to look after?
Essay Topic 3
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)