|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is interesting about Quasimodo?
2. What does spring mean for Leslie?
3. What does Larry liken the Durrell family's entry to?
4. What kind of books are on Mother's bedside table?
5. What is Gerry's most exciting discovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Larry's attitude upon reaching the island of Corfu?
2. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
3. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
4. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
5. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
6. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
7. How were Lugaretzia and her husband like the Daffodil-Yellow Villa, and why were they there?
8. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
9. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
10. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margo is dramatic throughout the book. Cite some of her more dramatic entrances or exits. Were her emotions warranted, or do you think she was overly dramatic?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Durrell family's entry onto the island of Corfu. Why do you think it was important to Larry to enter with majestic pose? Did Mother or Larry's siblings share his idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Spiro had a belligerent side and a loveable one too. The taxi drivers and customs officials felt his wrath, while the Durrell family only received his love and kindness. Compare and contrast these too very different sides of Spiro.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)