|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
2. How many years does Spiro spend in America?
3. Who does Larry blame for his siblings being selfish?
4. Why does Spiro take complete control the the Durrell's affairs?
5. What does Gerry think about Theodore's library?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
2. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
3. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
4. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
5. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
6. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
7. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
8. What was Larry's attitude upon reaching the island of Corfu?
9. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
10. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the Durrell family argues over much, but only once do they agree on something. What is it that they agree on, and what is the significance of this event to the family and the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Durrell family's entry onto the island of Corfu. Why do you think it was important to Larry to enter with majestic pose? Did Mother or Larry's siblings share his idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the weather in England and Corfu during the month of August, and the effects on the family.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)