|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
2. Who, out of the Durrell family, does Spiro adore the most?
3. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
4. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
5. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
2. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
3. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
4. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
5. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
6. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
7. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
8. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
9. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
10. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
Essay Topic 1
Gerry's education, or lack thereof, is almost a constant consideration of Mother's and the family. Throughout the book, Gerry has several tutors, George, the Belgian consul, Peter, and Mr. Kralefsky. Compare and contrast their methods of trying to tutor Gerry. How did Gerry teach them?
Essay Topic 2
Spiro had a belligerent side and a loveable one too. The taxi drivers and customs officials felt his wrath, while the Durrell family only received his love and kindness. Compare and contrast these too very different sides of Spiro.
Essay Topic 3
Gerry places great significance in the family assisting him in christening all the creatures he brings home with a name. Why is it important to Gerry to have the family help name his animals, especially when they rarely agree on anything?
This section contains 1,567 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)