|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, out of the Durrell family, does Spiro adore the most?
2. What kind of people does Mother not like?
3. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
4. What is the villa called that Spiro shows the family in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
5. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
2. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
3. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
4. Gerry ponders what insect movements, on top of the trapdoor, must sound like to a trapdoor spider. What were some of his ideas?
5. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
6. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
7. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
8. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
9. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
10. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways was Spiro the Durrell family's guardian throughout the book? Cite examples throughout the book. Why did Spiro choose to take on the family to look after?
Essay Topic 2
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
Essay Topic 3
In Part II: Chapter 7, The Daffodil-Yellow Villa, Gerry watches two couples of swallows building nests and feeding their young. Compare and contrast the swallow's fathering behaviors to that of a human father.
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)