|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Gerry suffer from in the English weather?
2. What is Mother doing at the onset of Larry's attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
3. What kind of people does Mother not like?
4. Who does Larry decide to attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
5. What is the name of the family dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
2. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
3. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
4. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
5. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
6. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
7. How were Lugaretzia and her husband like the Daffodil-Yellow Villa, and why were they there?
8. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
9. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
10. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the second morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, Larry is disturbed by a donkey braying. He requires someone, besides himself, to remedy the problem. When Leslie asks why they should handle it when it is not bothering them, Larry calls the family selfish, and blames Mother for bringing them up that way. Do you agree with Larry's assessment of the family? Why or why not? Do you agree that it is Mother's fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Durrell family's entry onto the island of Corfu. Why do you think it was important to Larry to enter with majestic pose? Did Mother or Larry's siblings share his idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)