|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Leslie suffer from in the English weather?
2. What does Theodore offer to show Gerry at tea on Thursday?
3. Where does Mother suggest Larry's friends stay?
4. What does Gerry take, for his collection, from one of the tortoises?
5. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
2. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
3. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
4. What was Larry's attitude upon reaching the island of Corfu?
5. How were Lugaretzia and her husband like the Daffodil-Yellow Villa, and why were they there?
6. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
7. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
8. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
9. Gerry ponders what insect movements, on top of the trapdoor, must sound like to a trapdoor spider. What were some of his ideas?
10. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on Corfu, the Durrell family lived in three different villas. Explain the differences in each villa by comparing the home, gardens, and countryside of each. In theory, which was Gerry's favorite villa and why?
Essay Topic 2
Gerry's education, or lack thereof, is almost a constant consideration of Mother's and the family. Throughout the book, Gerry has several tutors, George, the Belgian consul, Peter, and Mr. Kralefsky. Compare and contrast their methods of trying to tutor Gerry. How did Gerry teach them?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Theodore Stephanides is socially awkward, especially with greeting people and then parting ways. Discuss your theory as to why he has this social awkwardness.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)