|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Leslie suffer from in the English weather?
2. Why can Gerry hear the Rose-Beetle Man before he sees him?
3. What does Roger do with the pebbles Gerry found in the sand?
4. Instead to taking his goats to Gastouri, what does Yani do?
5. What special day is it when Spiro drives Gerry, Mother, and Margo to town to buy furniture?
Short Essay Questions
1. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
2. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
3. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
4. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
5. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
6. How did spring affect Mother, when left undisturbed by Larry? What affect did this have on Larry?
7. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
8. How do the islanders see Spiro?
9. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
10. How are the trapdoor spiders and Dr. Theodore Stephanides two significant finds for Gerry?
Essay Topic 1
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Spiro had a belligerent side and a loveable one too. The taxi drivers and customs officials felt his wrath, while the Durrell family only received his love and kindness. Compare and contrast these too very different sides of Spiro.
Essay Topic 3
Mother oftentimes let the children argue amongst themselves until the words became harsh and mean. What does this say about her mothering style? How was it effective or not? If not, how do you think it would have been best to handle Larry, Leslie, Margo, and Gerry? Cite examples.
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)