Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
2. Who, out of the Durrell family, does Spiro adore the most?
3. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
4. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
5. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
2. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
3. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
4. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
5. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
6. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
7. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
8. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
9. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
10. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
Essay Topic 1
On the second morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, Larry is disturbed by a donkey braying. He requires someone, besides himself, to remedy the problem. When Leslie asks why they should handle it when it is not bothering them, Larry calls the family selfish, and blames Mother for bringing them up that way. Do you agree with Larry's assessment of the family? Why or why not? Do you agree that it is Mother's fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways was Spiro the Durrell family's guardian throughout the book? Cite examples throughout the book. Why did Spiro choose to take on the family to look after?
Essay Topic 3
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)