|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Gerry meet with Theodore?
2. Who teaches Gerry some of the most beautiful and haunting peasant songs?
3. What does Theodore offer to show Gerry at tea on Thursday?
4. What does George teach Gerry about natural history?
5. Who explores the countryside with Gerry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
2. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
3. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
4. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
5. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
6. Was Mother's request to be shown a villa with a bathroom unreasonable?
7. What mishap occurred, in front of the Greek King, at the stage show of Battle of Thermopylae?
8. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
9. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
10. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Theodore Stephanides is socially awkward, especially with greeting people and then parting ways. Discuss your theory as to why he has this social awkwardness.
Essay Topic 2
While on Corfu, the Durrell family lived in three different villas. Explain the differences in each villa by comparing the home, gardens, and countryside of each. In theory, which was Gerry's favorite villa and why?
Essay Topic 3
Mother oftentimes let the children argue amongst themselves until the words became harsh and mean. What does this say about her mothering style? How was it effective or not? If not, how do you think it would have been best to handle Larry, Leslie, Margo, and Gerry? Cite examples.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)