|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insects does Gerry find that can change colors, like chameleons?
2. What does Larry liken the Durrell family's entry to?
3. Who does the family decide will teach Gerry?
4. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
5. Where is the Island of Corfu located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
2. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
3. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
4. How do the islanders see Spiro?
5. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
6. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
7. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
8. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
9. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
10. How did spring affect Mother, when left undisturbed by Larry? What affect did this have on Larry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
Essay Topic 2
While on Corfu, the Durrell family lived in three different villas. Explain the differences in each villa by comparing the home, gardens, and countryside of each. In theory, which was Gerry's favorite villa and why?
Essay Topic 3
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)