|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Gerry and George win points in their game in the bay?
2. How does George go about teaching Gerry mathematics?
3. What special day is it when Spiro drives Gerry, Mother, and Margo to town to buy furniture?
4. How is Spiro known by the people on the island?
5. What does Larry say the family needs in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mishap occurred, in front of the Greek King, at the stage show of Battle of Thermopylae?
2. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
3. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
4. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
5. Was Mother's request to be shown a villa with a bathroom unreasonable?
6. How did spring affect Mother, when left undisturbed by Larry? What affect did this have on Larry?
7. In the spring, what is the first amazing event Gerry witnesses on Tortoise Hill?
8. Who instigates the move to Corfu and why?
9. How do the islanders see Spiro?
10. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Durrell family's entry onto the island of Corfu. Why do you think it was important to Larry to enter with majestic pose? Did Mother or Larry's siblings share his idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the Durrell family argues over much, but only once do they agree on something. What is it that they agree on, and what is the significance of this event to the family and the story?
Essay Topic 3
Mother oftentimes let the children argue amongst themselves until the words became harsh and mean. What does this say about her mothering style? How was it effective or not? If not, how do you think it would have been best to handle Larry, Leslie, Margo, and Gerry? Cite examples.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)