|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Quasimodo during Gerry's lessons?
2. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
3. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
4. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
5. What is the name of the family dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mishap occurred, in front of the Greek King, at the stage show of Battle of Thermopylae?
2. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
3. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
4. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
5. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
6. Was Mother's request to be shown a villa with a bathroom unreasonable?
7. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
8. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
9. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
10. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
Essay Topic 2
Gerry is very descriptive of seasons, people, events, and places on Corfu. Why do you think he chose such elaborate detail for his book? Do you think this helps the reader get a better picture of what is going on? Do you think the description is distracting to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways was Spiro the Durrell family's guardian throughout the book? Cite examples throughout the book. Why did Spiro choose to take on the family to look after?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)