|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roger do during Gerry's lessons?
2. Who rescues the Durrells from the Greek cab drivers?
3. What does Larry liken the Durrell family's entry to?
4. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
5. What does Margo's Turkish suitor think he can do superbly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
2. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
3. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
4. What was Larry's attitude upon reaching the island of Corfu?
5. How does Gerry come to the conclusion to visit Yani after his swim?
6. How are the trapdoor spiders and Dr. Theodore Stephanides two significant finds for Gerry?
7. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
8. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
9. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
10. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Theodore Stephanides is socially awkward, especially with greeting people and then parting ways. Discuss your theory as to why he has this social awkwardness.
Essay Topic 3
The Durrell family children were young when the arrived on the island of Corfu, Larry was twenty-three, Leslie nineteen, Margo eighteen, and Gerry ten. Five years later they left the island bound for England. How were the children portrayed at the beginning of the book? At the end? Explain their character growth, if any over the five year span on Corfu.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)