|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who explores the countryside with Gerry?
2. What do the olive groves echo with?
3. What does George find helpful in teaching Gerry?
4. What is wrong with the furniture in the villa?
5. Who does the family decide will teach Gerry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
2. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
3. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
4. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
5. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
6. How do the islanders see Spiro?
7. Who instigates the move to Corfu and why?
8. How does Gerry come to the conclusion to visit Yani after his swim?
9. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
10. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on Corfu, the Durrell family lived in three different villas. Explain the differences in each villa by comparing the home, gardens, and countryside of each. In theory, which was Gerry's favorite villa and why?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways was Spiro the Durrell family's guardian throughout the book? Cite examples throughout the book. Why did Spiro choose to take on the family to look after?
Essay Topic 3
Gerry is very descriptive of seasons, people, events, and places on Corfu. Why do you think he chose such elaborate detail for his book? Do you think this helps the reader get a better picture of what is going on? Do you think the description is distracting to the reader?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)