|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Gerry meet with Theodore?
2. How many species of cyclops are found on Corfu?
3. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
4. Where is Quasimodo during Gerry's lessons?
5. How many years does Spiro spend in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the spring, what is the first amazing event Gerry witnesses on Tortoise Hill?
2. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
3. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
4. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
5. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
6. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
7. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
8. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
9. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
10. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
Essay Topic 1
Gerry places great significance in the family assisting him in christening all the creatures he brings home with a name. Why is it important to Gerry to have the family help name his animals, especially when they rarely agree on anything?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the Durrell family argues over much, but only once do they agree on something. What is it that they agree on, and what is the significance of this event to the family and the story?
Essay Topic 3
Gerry is very descriptive of seasons, people, events, and places on Corfu. Why do you think he chose such elaborate detail for his book? Do you think this helps the reader get a better picture of what is going on? Do you think the description is distracting to the reader?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)