|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
2. What does Larry liken the Durrell family's entry to?
3. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, in the morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, where is the family eating breakfast?
4. Who, out of the Durrell family, does Spiro adore the most?
5. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 4, what does Gerry's Mother decide for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
2. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
3. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
4. How does Gerry come to the conclusion to visit Yani after his swim?
5. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
6. Who instigates the move to Corfu and why?
7. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
8. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
9. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
10. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Rose-Beetle Man was a very interesting character to Gerry. What was the tone in the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, The Rose-Beetle Man with the introduction of his character? What was the tone set by the Gerry the last time he saw the Rose-Beetle Man? How does the tone differ, and how is this difference conveyed?
Essay Topic 3
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)