|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part II: Chapter 8, Tortoise Hills, what does Theodore say can happen in Corfu?
2. What is the name of Gerry's tortoise?
3. What illness does Larry suffer from in the English weather?
4. What wakes Yani up from his siesta in Chapter 5?
5. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, in the morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, where is the family eating breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
2. How does Gerry come to the conclusion to visit Yani after his swim?
3. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
4. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
5. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
6. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
7. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
8. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
9. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
10. What mishap occurred, in front of the Greek King, at the stage show of Battle of Thermopylae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on Corfu, the Durrell family lived in three different villas. Explain the differences in each villa by comparing the home, gardens, and countryside of each. In theory, which was Gerry's favorite villa and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the weather in England and Corfu during the month of August, and the effects on the family.
Essay Topic 3
The Durrell family children were young when the arrived on the island of Corfu, Larry was twenty-three, Leslie nineteen, Margo eighteen, and Gerry ten. Five years later they left the island bound for England. How were the children portrayed at the beginning of the book? At the end? Explain their character growth, if any over the five year span on Corfu.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)