|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of hat does Theodore wear?
2. What hobby does Margo take up after settling into the villa?
3. What is Gerry's most exciting discovery?
4. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
5. What do Gerry and George use as water-pistols in the bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the islanders see Spiro?
2. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
3. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
4. Was Mother's request to be shown a villa with a bathroom unreasonable?
5. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
6. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
7. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
8. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
9. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
10. How are the trapdoor spiders and Dr. Theodore Stephanides two significant finds for Gerry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the second morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, Larry is disturbed by a donkey braying. He requires someone, besides himself, to remedy the problem. When Leslie asks why they should handle it when it is not bothering them, Larry calls the family selfish, and blames Mother for bringing them up that way. Do you agree with Larry's assessment of the family? Why or why not? Do you agree that it is Mother's fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Theodore Stephanides is socially awkward, especially with greeting people and then parting ways. Discuss your theory as to why he has this social awkwardness.
Essay Topic 3
Chaos often ensues in the Durrell family, such as that caused by Gerry's animals, or the fire in Larry's room. Would you theorize that on some level they enjoy the chaos? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)