|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the villa called that Spiro shows the family in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
2. At the end of Part II: Chapter 8, Tortoise Hills, what does Theodore say can happen in Corfu?
3. Who does Larry blame for his siblings being selfish?
4. What illness does Larry suffer from in the English weather?
5. What is the tale of the cypress trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Larry's attitude upon reaching the island of Corfu?
2. Was Mother's request to be shown a villa with a bathroom unreasonable?
3. How do the islanders see Spiro?
4. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
5. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
6. Who instigates the move to Corfu and why?
7. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
8. How does Gerry come to the conclusion to visit Yani after his swim?
9. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
10. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Larry is often an instigator in the family, especially when it comes to moving. What else does Larry instigate the family to do? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
The Durrell family children, although siblings, are all very unique in their own ways. Select two of the Durrell children and compare and contrast their characteristics. For example, what affect has Mother's parenting played in their attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
The Durrell family children were young when the arrived on the island of Corfu, Larry was twenty-three, Leslie nineteen, Margo eighteen, and Gerry ten. Five years later they left the island bound for England. How were the children portrayed at the beginning of the book? At the end? Explain their character growth, if any over the five year span on Corfu.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)