|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies, who tutors Gerry in the summer?
2. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
(c) Peasant women.
3. What illuminates the family's nighttime picnic at the bay?
(a) Lanterns and a fire.
(b) Fireflies and lanterns.
(c) Fireflies and phosphorus.
(d) Phosphorus and cigarettes.
4. Which two Durrell family members get motion sickness in the boats?
(a) Theodore and Puke.
(b) Puke and Peter.
(c) Theodore and Dodo.
(d) Mother and Dodo.
5. How does winter come to the island of Corfu?
(a) Slowly and steadily.
(d) With a howl and a shriek.
Short Answer Questions
1. What uncharacteristic thing does Larry do in Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter?
2. How is the Durrell family described on the train back to England?
3. Why does Mother dispense of Peter's services?
4. In Part II: Chapter 11, The Enchanted Archipelago, what addition is made to the Sea Cow?
5. Aside from the sirocco, what impedes Margo's return from the island where she seeks solitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
2. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
3. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
4. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
5. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
6. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
7. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
8. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
9. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
10. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)