|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the snow-white villa given its name?
(a) Snow White lived there.
(b) Its color is white as snow.
(c) It is snowing.
(d) The paperwhite surrounding it are in full bloom.
2. How does winter come to the island of Corfu?
(c) Slowly and steadily.
(d) With a howl and a shriek.
3. When Gerry reaches the nest at the top of the olive tree, what do his dogs below look like?
(a) The size of ants.
(b) As small as a toad.
(c) They look like their regular size.
(d) The size of pimpernel flowers.
4. What riveting news does Mother receive in a letter from Great Aunt Hermione?
(a) Henry broke his leg.
(b) Henry passed away.
(c) That she wants to come and stay.
(d) That Aunt Mabel moved to Sussex.
5. What is wrong with Theodore's friend's house when another floor is added?
(a) There are no stairs.
(b) They use poor materials.
(c) The windows will not open.
(d) They do not have zoning permits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most striking attribute of the Belgian consul?
2. Who does Gerry ask to build him a boat so he can visit the archipelago?
3. What uncharacteristic thing does Larry do in Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter?
4. Who does Gerry walk to the sea with?
5. How does Kralefsky teach Gerry the French language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
2. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
3. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
4. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
5. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
6. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
7. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
8. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
9. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
10. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)