|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother name her Dandy Dinmont?
2. Why is the snow-white villa given its name?
(a) The paperwhite surrounding it are in full bloom.
(b) Snow White lived there.
(c) Its color is white as snow.
(d) It is snowing.
3. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
(a) Peasant women.
4. What does the crumbling wall that surrounded the sunken garden provide Gerry?
(a) A great view of the Tortoise Hills.
(b) Something to spackle.
(c) A rich hunting ground.
(d) An imaginary world of make-believe.
5. Whose room do the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest disrupt?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Durrell family described on the train back to England?
2. What gives Spiro a weak stomach?
3. What languages do the magenpies learn to speak?
4. At the end of Part II: Conversation, what proverb does Margo share about change?
5. Who does Gerry walk to the sea with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
2. How did Mr. Kralefsky's tall tales of saving ladies from danger get him two broken ribs?
3. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
4. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
5. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
6. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
7. At the end of Part III: Chapter 13, The Snow-White Villa, why does Theodore ponder the idea of having the toads swallow swords?
8. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
9. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
10. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)