|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kralefsky's special interest?
(b) Aquatic life.
2. What does Kralefsky consider to be "the ticket"?
(b) Natural history.
3. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
(b) Peasant women.
4. What does the crumbling wall that surrounded the sunken garden provide Gerry?
(a) An imaginary world of make-believe.
(b) A great view of the Tortoise Hills.
(c) A rich hunting ground.
(d) Something to spackle.
5. The toads that Gerry finds are the size of:
(a) A small tortoise.
(b) A teacup.
(c) A large plate.
(d) An average size saucer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Gerry and Kralefsky go to the top of his house?
2. What names are given to the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest?
3. How many baby magpies does Gerry take from the nest?
4. What event gets Margo out of the attic?
5. What does Gerry say "danced and twisted like wind-blown confetti" in the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
2. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
3. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
4. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
5. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
6. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
7. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
8. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
9. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
10. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)