|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Leslie's bath impeded in Part 3, Chapter 18?
(a) He has to help save Dodo from the angry dogs.
(b) Gerry has his water-snakes in the bath.
(c) The water is shut off.
(d) Margo had used all the towels.
2. What is the name of Gerry's book that he starts writing in Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies?
(a) Natural History of Corfu.
(b) My Adventures with Roger.
(c) Fauna of Corfu.
(d) Boy's Own Paper.
3. What illuminates the family's nighttime picnic at the bay?
(a) Fireflies and lanterns.
(b) Phosphorus and cigarettes.
(c) Fireflies and phosphorus.
(d) Lanterns and a fire.
4. Who is Old Plop?
(a) A big old fish in the bay.
(b) A criminal.
(c) An old Greecian peasant man who makes a plopping noise when he sits.
(d) A large and ancient terrapin.
5. How is the Durrell family described on the train back to England?
(a) "The Durrell Family Circus."
(b) "One traveling circus and staff."
(c) "A staff of circus goers."
(d) "The Durrells."
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part II: Conversation, what proverb does Margo share about change?
2. When Gerry reaches the nest at the top of the olive tree, what do his dogs below look like?
3. What does Gerry name the gecko that takes up residence in his bedroom?
4. What does Gerry say "danced and twisted like wind-blown confetti" in the summer?
5. Why do Gerry and Kralefsky go to the top of his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
2. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
3. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
4. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
5. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
6. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
7. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
8. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
9. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
10. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)