|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Gerry's tutor in the beginning of Part III: Chapter 14, The Talking Flowers?
(d) Mr. Kralefsky.
2. What does Larry find in the matchbox when he wants to light his cigarette?
(a) A female scorpion.
(b) An earwig.
(c) Baby scorpions.
(d) A female scorpion and her babies.
3. What does the crumbling wall that surrounded the sunken garden provide Gerry?
(a) Something to spackle.
(b) An imaginary world of make-believe.
(c) A rich hunting ground.
(d) A great view of the Tortoise Hills.
4. The toads that Gerry finds are the size of:
(a) An average size saucer.
(b) A small tortoise.
(c) A teacup.
(d) A large plate.
5. From what union does Dodo bear a puppy?
(a) Her union with Puke.
(b) Her union with Widdle.
(c) Her union with Ulysses.
(d) Her union with Roger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most striking attribute of the Belgian consul?
2. Who does Gerry walk to the sea with?
3. What languages do the magenpies learn to speak?
4. Who are Widdle and Puke?
5. What is the one thing that Roger, Widdle, and Puke find interesting about Dodo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event causes the eldest Durrell children for once to agree? What do they agree on?
2. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
3. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
4. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
5. How did Mr. Kralefsky's tall tales of saving ladies from danger get him two broken ribs?
6. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
7. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
8. The moon did not shine the night of Mother's inaugural swim. What lit up the night in the air and in the water?
9. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
10. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)