|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crumbling wall that surrounded the sunken garden provide Gerry?
(a) An imaginary world of make-believe.
(b) Something to spackle.
(c) A great view of the Tortoise Hills.
(d) A rich hunting ground.
2. What does Kralefsky's mother think about flowers?
(a) That birds prefer daisies.
(b) They smell beautiful.
(c) That they can talk.
(d) They are wonderful to work with.
3. Which two Durrell family members get motion sickness in the boats?
(a) Theodore and Puke.
(b) Puke and Peter.
(c) Mother and Dodo.
(d) Theodore and Dodo.
4. What languages do the magenpies learn to speak?
(a) French and English.
(b) English and Spanish.
(c) French and Greek.
(d) Greek and English.
5. What event gets Margo out of the attic?
(a) Mother's delicious meals.
(b) Peter returning for her.
(c) Gerry pleading with her.
(d) Leslie's burglar trap going off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What riveting news does Mother receive in a letter from Great Aunt Hermione?
2. What does Gerry name the gecko that takes up residence in his bedroom?
3. What colors are the cyclamen that grow under the olive trees?
4. What does Mother name her Dandy Dinmont?
5. What is the name of Gerry's book that he starts writing in Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
2. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
3. What does the introduction of Dodo say about Mother's character?
4. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
5. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
6. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
7. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
8. How are Dodo and Margo alike?
9. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
10. Why did Gerry's trips to the archipelago in the Sea Cow become less frequent?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)