|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What uncharacteristic thing does Larry do in Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter?
(a) Take dancing lessons.
(b) Go on a diet.
(c) Go hunting.
(d) Help Mother in the kitchen.
2. Whose room do the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest disrupt?
3. Who does Gerry ask to build him a boat so he can visit the archipelago?
4. What does Kralefsky's mother think about flowers?
(a) That birds prefer daisies.
(b) They are wonderful to work with.
(c) They smell beautiful.
(d) That they can talk.
5. When returning to the villa with his horn blaring, what does Spiro have with him for the party?
(a) Three cooked turkeys.
(b) The doctor for Kralefsky.
(c) Larry's manuscript from the publisher.
(d) The Greek King.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part II: Conversation, what proverb does Margo share about change?
2. What gives Spiro a weak stomach?
3. What illuminates the family's nighttime picnic at the bay?
4. In Part II: Conversation, where does the family spend most of its time eating, sleeping, reading, and/or arguing?
5. What colors are the cyclamen that grow under the olive trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kosti warns Gerry about Alecko too late, as Gerry is already stroking his feathers. Alecko does not fuss. What does this say about Gerry's character?
2. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
3. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
4. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
5. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
6. What is the final event, revisited oppositely, that Spiro helps the family with?
7. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
8. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
9. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
10. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)