|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Larry find in the matchbox when he wants to light his cigarette?
(a) Baby scorpions.
(b) A female scorpion and her babies.
(c) A female scorpion.
(d) An earwig.
2. From what union does Dodo bear a puppy?
(a) Her union with Puke.
(b) Her union with Widdle.
(c) Her union with Roger.
(d) Her union with Ulysses.
3. When Gerry reaches the nest at the top of the olive tree, what do his dogs below look like?
(a) The size of ants.
(b) They look like their regular size.
(c) As small as a toad.
(d) The size of pimpernel flowers.
4. What does Gerry name the gecko that takes up residence in his bedroom?
5. What does the crumbling wall that surrounded the sunken garden provide Gerry?
(a) Something to spackle.
(b) A great view of the Tortoise Hills.
(c) An imaginary world of make-believe.
(d) A rich hunting ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most striking attribute of the Belgian consul?
2. Who are Widdle and Puke?
3. Why are the sea fauna greatly attracted to the archipelago?
4. In Part II: Chapter 11, The Enchanted Archipelago, what addition is made to the Sea Cow?
5. Where does Geronimo live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
2. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
3. Mr. Kralefsky's mother believes flowers can talk and have personality. How does Gerry respond to this idea?
4. The Belgian consul exterminated emaciated cats as a humane act of kindness. What does Gerry think about this?
5. How did Gerry apply psychology to get his family on board with the idea of him getting a boat for his birthday?
6. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
7. What battle between a gecko and mantis takes place in Gerry's room? What is the outcome?
8. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
9. How does Gerry describe the Chessboard Fields?
10. At the end of Part III: Chapter 13, The Snow-White Villa, why does Theodore ponder the idea of having the toads swallow swords?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)