|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the August weather in England described?
(a) A biting wind and cold temperatures.
(b) A biting wind and stinging drizzle.
(c) A stinging drizzle and freezing temperatures.
(d) Sunny skies and gentle breezes.
2. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
(a) The "dreadful puns."
(b) The magenpies.
(c) His spelling.
(d) His family.
3. Where does Mother suggest Larry's friends stay?
(b) At Pension Suisse.
(c) On the veranda.
(d) In her room.
4. Why can Gerry hear the Rose-Beetle Man before he sees him?
(a) The rose-beetles are singing.
(b) The Rose-Beetle Man is singing.
(c) He can hear his car in the distance.
(d) He plays a sheperd's pipe.
5. What wakes Yani up from his siesta in Chapter 5?
(a) Gerry throwing stones.
(b) Roger chasing a cat.
(c) Gerry willing him awake.
(d) Gerry shaking him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the tortoises does Gerry find very interesting?
2. When Larry goes to light a cigarette, what flies out of the box?
3. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
4. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
5. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
2. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
3. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
4. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
5. How does Gerry come to the conclusion to visit Yani after his swim?
6. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
7. What intriguing creature did Gerry find in the crumbling wall, and why did this upset Larry?
8. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
9. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
10. Was Mother's request to be shown a villa with a bathroom unreasonable?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)