|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Quasimodo during Gerry's lessons?
(a) Sitting in Gerry's lap.
(b) Flying around the room.
(c) Marching to music.
(d) Sitting on the table.
2. One day Mother and Gerry buy the Rose-Beetle Man's entire stock of rose-beetles, what do they do with them?
(a) Feed them to the frogs.
(b) Tie them to their hats.
(c) Release them into the garden.
(d) Tie them to the lamps in the house.
3. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
(a) Add on a guest room to the villa.
(b) Build a cottage on their property.
(c) Send Margo, Leslie, and Gerry away for the summer.
(d) Move to a bigger villa.
4. Why does Yani tell Gerry the scorpion is drowned in olive oil?
(a) If stung by a scorpion, rub the oil on the spot and there will be hardly any discomfort.
(b) The oil preserves the body.
(c) Scorpion oil cures acne.
(d) It is an old Greek superstition to ward off scorpions from your home.
5. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
(a) "Like a tiny, harassed missionary in an uprising."
(b) "Like a prim and proper English woman, dressed for tea."
(c) "Like a Greek godess, trailing muslin and scent."
(d) "Like a weary traveler, no worse for the wear."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerry take, for his collection, from one of the tortoises?
2. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
3. When Larry goes to light a cigarette, what flies out of the box?
4. Instead to taking his goats to Gastouri, what does Yani do?
5. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gerry ponders what insect movements, on top of the trapdoor, must sound like to a trapdoor spider. What were some of his ideas?
2. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
3. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
4. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
5. In the garden, Gerry finds an earwig's nest, and posts a sign for passers by to beware and keep quiet. What words were spelled correctly on the sign, and why is that significant to his character?
6. What mishap occurred, in front of the Greek King, at the stage show of Battle of Thermopylae?
7. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
8. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
9. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
10. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)