|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
(a) In the olive groves.
(b) In the bay.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In the grape vines.
2. Who, out of the Durrell family, does Spiro adore the most?
3. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
(a) One of the pelicans.
(b) The scarlet ibis.
(c) The vulture.
(d) One of the monkeys.
4. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
(a) Move to a bigger villa.
(b) Build a cottage on their property.
(c) Add on a guest room to the villa.
(d) Send Margo, Leslie, and Gerry away for the summer.
5. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
(a) Two taxi cabs.
(b) Spiro picked them up in his Suburban.
(c) One stretch limo.
(d) Two horse-drawn cabs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the tortoises does Gerry find very interesting?
2. Where does Mother suggest Larry's friends stay?
3. How often does Gerry meet with Theodore?
4. What illness does Margo suffer from in the English weather?
5. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
2. What two ways did Peter teach Gerry English?
3. Why does Larry go snipe hunting?
4. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
5. What is Margo's reaction to Peter having to leave the island because they are getting too close?
6. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
7. Why was Gerry initially suspicious when his family told him his new tutor, Mr. Kralefsky, was interested in birds?
8. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
9. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
10. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)