|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yani never sleep in the hills?
(a) Because his goats would get away.
(b) Because Aphrodite told him not to.
(c) Because the cypress trees will steal his brains.
(d) Because a scorpion stung a fellow shepherd in the ear and killed him.
2. What does spring mean for Leslie?
(a) Getting rid of Margo's suitors.
(d) Building a boat.
3. Zatopec is one of the first of Larry's guests to arrive for a visit, what is his occupation?
(a) Armenian artist.
(b) Armenian poet.
(c) Greecian novelist.
(d) Armenian novelist.
4. What hobby does Margo take up after settling into the villa?
5. What does Gerry think about Theodore's library?
(a) The Darwin books are dusty.
(b) It is full of natural history books.
(c) It does not have enough Sherlock Holmes.
(d) It is thoroughly well-balanced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
2. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
3. Why does Yani tell Gerry the scorpion is drowned in olive oil?
4. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
5. What does Larry say his mother is starting to look like in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
2. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
3. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
4. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
5. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
6. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
7. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
8. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
9. Who instigates the move to Corfu and why?
10. In the spring, what is the first amazing event Gerry witnesses on Tortoise Hill?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)