|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
(a) Medium sized ones.
(b) Big ones and little ones.
(c) Teacup sized ones only.
(d) Large ones only.
2. What kind of people does Mother not like?
(a) Highbrow ones.
(b) Lowbrow ones.
(c) Stagnate ones.
3. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
(a) A pigeon.
(b) A tortoise.
(c) A magpie.
(d) A flute.
4. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
(a) The Rose-Beetle Man.
5. One day Mother and Gerry buy the Rose-Beetle Man's entire stock of rose-beetles, what do they do with them?
(a) Tie them to their hats.
(b) Tie them to the lamps in the house.
(c) Feed them to the frogs.
(d) Release them into the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
2. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
3. Why does Yani never sleep in the hills?
4. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
5. What does Spiro not like about the man that Margo goes swimming with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
2. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
3. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
4. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
5. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
6. What was Larry's attitude upon reaching the island of Corfu?
7. How were Lugaretzia and her husband like the Daffodil-Yellow Villa, and why were they there?
8. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
9. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
10. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)