|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness does Larry suffer from in the English weather?
2. How is Spiro known by the people on the island?
(a) He is well-known and respected.
(b) He is known for his long mustache.
(c) He is respected and feared.
(d) He is well-known and feared by all.
3. One day Mother and Gerry buy the Rose-Beetle Man's entire stock of rose-beetles, what do they do with them?
(a) Tie them to their hats.
(b) Release them into the garden.
(c) Tie them to the lamps in the house.
(d) Feed them to the frogs.
4. What kind of books are on Mother's bedside table?
(a) Cooking, gardening, and natural history books.
(b) Mysteries, cooking, and poetry books.
(c) Poetry, natural history, and dieting books.
(d) Cooking, gardening, and mystery books.
5. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the tortoises does Gerry find very interesting?
2. What does Spiro not like about the man that Margo goes swimming with?
3. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
4. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
5. What is the name of Gerry's tortoise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
2. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
3. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
4. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
5. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
6. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
7. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
8. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
9. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
10. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)