|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
(a) The Rose-Beetle Man.
2. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
(b) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
(d) His wife.
3. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
(a) In the olive groves.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In the bay.
(d) In the grape vines.
4. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
(a) A magpie.
(b) A pigeon.
(c) A tortoise.
(d) A flute.
5. Who teaches Gerry some of the most beautiful and haunting peasant songs?
(d) The Rose-Beetle Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Spiro spend in America?
2. What does Larry say his mother is starting to look like in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
3. What do the olive groves echo with?
4. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
5. What kind of books are on Mother's bedside table?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
2. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
3. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
4. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
5. Was Mother's request to be shown a villa with a bathroom unreasonable?
6. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
7. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
8. How does Gerry come to the conclusion to visit Yani after his swim?
9. Gerry ponders what insect movements, on top of the trapdoor, must sound like to a trapdoor spider. What were some of his ideas?
10. What mishap occurred, in front of the Greek King, at the stage show of Battle of Thermopylae?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)