|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the August weather in England described?
(a) Sunny skies and gentle breezes.
(b) A stinging drizzle and freezing temperatures.
(c) A biting wind and cold temperatures.
(d) A biting wind and stinging drizzle.
2. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) Saint Assisi.
(b) A guardian angel.
(c) A watchdog.
(d) An ugly angel.
3. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
(b) Doctor Theodore Stephanides.
4. What hobby does Margo take up after settling into the villa?
5. What is the villa called that Spiro shows the family in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
(a) Tortoise-green Villa.
(b) Rose-beetle Villa.
(c) Strawberry-pink Villa.
(d) Daffodil-yellow Villa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who names Gerry's pigeon?
2. How does Gerry describe the Corfu winter?
3. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
4. Who rescues the Durrells from the Greek cab drivers?
5. How do Gerry and George win points in their game in the bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gerry ponders what insect movements, on top of the trapdoor, must sound like to a trapdoor spider. What were some of his ideas?
2. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
3. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
4. Who instigates the move to Corfu and why?
5. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
6. What was Larry's attitude upon reaching the island of Corfu?
7. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
8. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
9. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
10. In the garden, Gerry finds an earwig's nest, and posts a sign for passers by to beware and keep quiet. What words were spelled correctly on the sign, and why is that significant to his character?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)