|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
(a) Not one has a balcony.
(b) They are infested with crickets.
(c) They are not close enough to the sea.
(d) Not one has a bathroom.
2. Why does Yani tell Gerry the scorpion is drowned in olive oil?
(a) It is an old Greek superstition to ward off scorpions from your home.
(b) Scorpion oil cures acne.
(c) If stung by a scorpion, rub the oil on the spot and there will be hardly any discomfort.
(d) The oil preserves the body.
3. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
(a) The common earwig.
(b) The trapdoor spider.
(c) The earwig spider.
(d) The trapdoor earwig.
4. Why does Yani never sleep in the hills?
(a) Because a scorpion stung a fellow shepherd in the ear and killed him.
(b) Because the cypress trees will steal his brains.
(c) Because his goats would get away.
(d) Because Aphrodite told him not to.
5. What do the olive groves echo with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larry liken the Durrell family's entry to?
2. What hobby does Margo take up after settling into the villa?
3. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
4. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
5. What does George find helpful in teaching Gerry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
2. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
3. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
4. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
5. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
6. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
7. How did spring affect Mother, when left undisturbed by Larry? What affect did this have on Larry?
8. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
9. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
10. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)