|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Larry say his mother is starting to look like in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
(a) A plate of scarlet porridge.
(b) A widow.
(c) An Irish washerwoman.
(d) A ray of sunshine in the gloomy climate.
2. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
(a) The tortoises.
(b) Gerry, because he names it Tortoise Hill.
(c) Madame Cyclops.
(d) The island of Corfu.
3. What does Roger do with the pebbles Gerry found in the sand?
(a) Drops them back into the water.
(b) Buries them in the sand.
(c) Eats them.
(d) Barks at them.
4. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) A watchdog.
(b) Saint Assisi.
(c) An ugly angel.
(d) A guardian angel.
5. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
(a) As a conservative doctor of medicine.
(b) As an eccentric nature-lover.
(c) As a countryside expert on trapdoor spiders.
(d) As an excellent fencer and dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbs Larry's writing on the second morning in the villa?
2. Who does Larry blame for his siblings being selfish?
3. How does George go about teaching Gerry mathematics?
4. What does Roger do during Gerry's lessons?
5. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
2. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
3. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
4. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
5. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
6. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
7. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
8. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
9. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
10. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)