|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Durrell family stay their first night on Corfu?
(a) Pension Suisse.
(b) La Masion.
(c) The strawberry-pink villa.
(d) Spiro's home.
2. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
(a) As an eccentric nature-lover.
(b) As an excellent fencer and dancer.
(c) As a countryside expert on trapdoor spiders.
(d) As a conservative doctor of medicine.
3. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
4. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
(a) His wife.
(b) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
5. Zatopec is one of the first of Larry's guests to arrive for a visit, what is his occupation?
(a) Greecian novelist.
(b) Armenian novelist.
(c) Armenian artist.
(d) Armenian poet.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
2. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
3. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
4. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 4, what does Gerry's Mother decide for him?
5. How many people does Larry tell Mother to budget for food and lodging, concerning his summer guests that will be arriving within a few weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
2. How are the trapdoor spiders and Dr. Theodore Stephanides two significant finds for Gerry?
3. In the garden, Gerry finds an earwig's nest, and posts a sign for passers by to beware and keep quiet. What words were spelled correctly on the sign, and why is that significant to his character?
4. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
5. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
6. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
7. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
8. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
9. What was Larry's attitude upon reaching the island of Corfu?
10. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)