|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
(a) He has to keep up his reputation as Spiro the Great.
(b) He does not want them to get swindled.
(c) He is subsidizing them until their money arrives.
(d) Everything in Greece is overpriced.
2. Gerry brings four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and ______ to Corfu.
(a) A microscope
(b) A jam jar full of caterpillars
(c) Two magpies
(d) A pelican
3. What does George find helpful in teaching Gerry?
(a) Relating everything to birds.
(b) Never leaving the house for an exploration of nature.
(c) Placing a sprig of zoology into every subject.
(d) Relating everything to caterpillars.
4. Zatopec is one of the first of Larry's guests to arrive for a visit, what is his occupation?
(a) Greecian novelist.
(b) Armenian novelist.
(c) Armenian artist.
(d) Armenian poet.
5. Who does Gerald dedicate this book to?
(a) His mother.
(b) The Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
(c) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family dog?
2. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
3. What does Gerry take, for his collection, from one of the tortoises?
4. How does Gerry describe the bay?
5. What is the villa called that Spiro shows the family in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
2. Gerry ponders what insect movements, on top of the trapdoor, must sound like to a trapdoor spider. What were some of his ideas?
3. How does Gerry describe the Daffodil-Yellow Villa?
4. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
5. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
6. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
7. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
8. How were Lugaretzia and her husband like the Daffodil-Yellow Villa, and why were they there?
9. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
10. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)