|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gerry and George win points in their game in the bay?
(a) By finding the most sea-slugs.
(b) By discovering the most sea fauna.
(c) By squirting the sea-slug the farthest.
(d) By applying mathematic applications to the sea fauna.
2. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) Saint Assisi.
(b) A watchdog.
(c) An ugly angel.
(d) A guardian angel.
3. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
(a) As a countryside expert on trapdoor spiders.
(b) As an eccentric nature-lover.
(c) As a conservative doctor of medicine.
(d) As an excellent fencer and dancer.
4. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
(a) Doctor Theodore Stephanides.
5. What is the tale of the cypress trees?
(a) They will give you pleasant dreams.
(b) They will give you nightmares.
(c) They will steal your brains if you sleep under them.
(d) You will have a good rest if you sleep under them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theodore send Gerry to assist him in his field work?
2. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
3. What brings a smile to Lugaretzia?
4. What is wrong with the furniture in the villa?
5. After their swim in Chapter 5, where do Gerry and Roger go for a snack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Lugaretzia and her husband like the Daffodil-Yellow Villa, and why were they there?
2. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
3. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
4. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
5. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
6. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
7. Gerry ponders what insect movements, on top of the trapdoor, must sound like to a trapdoor spider. What were some of his ideas?
8. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
9. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
10. How do the islanders see Spiro?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)