|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
(a) "Like a weary traveler, no worse for the wear."
(b) "Like a tiny, harassed missionary in an uprising."
(c) "Like a Greek godess, trailing muslin and scent."
(d) "Like a prim and proper English woman, dressed for tea."
2. Who rescues the Durrells from the Greek cab drivers?
(c) The British Consul.
3. What does spring mean for Leslie?
(b) Building a boat.
(d) Getting rid of Margo's suitors.
4. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
(a) Like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas.
(b) Like living in the Garden of Eden.
(c) Like living in a dream.
(d) Like living with the three stooges.
5. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
(a) He is subsidizing them until their money arrives.
(b) He does not want them to get swindled.
(c) He has to keep up his reputation as Spiro the Great.
(d) Everything in Greece is overpriced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roger do with the pebbles Gerry found in the sand?
2. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
3. Larry becomes overweight in the spring. Which of the following is one of Margo's suggested diets?
4. What insects does Gerry find that can change colors, like chameleons?
5. Who does Gerald dedicate this book to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mishap occurred, in front of the Greek King, at the stage show of Battle of Thermopylae?
2. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
3. How do the islanders see Spiro?
4. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
5. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
6. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
7. In the garden, Gerry finds an earwig's nest, and posts a sign for passers by to beware and keep quiet. What words were spelled correctly on the sign, and why is that significant to his character?
8. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
9. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
10. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)