|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gerald dedicate this book to?
(a) His mother.
(b) The Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
(c) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
2. Who does Larry decide to attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
3. What does Gerry take, for his collection, from one of the tortoises?
(a) One of her eggs.
(b) His shell.
(c) One of his eggs.
(d) A piece of his shell.
4. Who rescues the Durrells from the Greek cab drivers?
(b) The British Consul.
5. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
(a) "Like a weary traveler, no worse for the wear."
(b) "Like a Greek godess, trailing muslin and scent."
(c) "Like a tiny, harassed missionary in an uprising."
(d) "Like a prim and proper English woman, dressed for tea."
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Gerry suffer from in the English weather?
2. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
3. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
4. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
5. Where does the Durrell family stay their first night on Corfu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
2. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
3. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
4. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
5. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
6. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
7. In the spring, what is the first amazing event Gerry witnesses on Tortoise Hill?
8. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
9. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
10. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)