|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disturbs Larry's writing on the second morning in the villa?
(a) A donkey braying.
(b) Gerry's magenpies.
(c) Bees buzzing.
(d) Lawnmowers cutting grass.
2. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
(a) The common earwig.
(b) The trapdoor earwig.
(c) The earwig spider.
(d) The trapdoor spider.
3. What is the original intent of Gerald Durrell for this book?
(a) Account of the natural history on the island of Corfu.
(b) Account of the birds on the island of Corfu.
(c) Account of the interesting people on the island of Corfu.
(d) Account of his family.
4. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
(a) Big ones and little ones.
(b) Teacup sized ones only.
(c) Medium sized ones.
(d) Large ones only.
5. One day Mother and Gerry buy the Rose-Beetle Man's entire stock of rose-beetles, what do they do with them?
(a) Feed them to the frogs.
(b) Tie them to their hats.
(c) Release them into the garden.
(d) Tie them to the lamps in the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Yani up from his siesta in Chapter 5?
2. What does Larry say his mother is starting to look like in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
3. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
4. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
5. How many species of cyclops are found on Corfu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
2. Why was Thursday tea with Theodore an appointment Gerry would not have missed for anything?
3. How did George get Gerry interested in history?
4. How did spring affect Mother, when left undisturbed by Larry? What affect did this have on Larry?
5. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
6. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
7. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
8. How does it come about that George becomes Gerry's tutor?
9. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
10. Gerry ponders what insect movements, on top of the trapdoor, must sound like to a trapdoor spider. What were some of his ideas?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)