|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
(a) As an eccentric nature-lover.
(b) As an excellent fencer and dancer.
(c) As a conservative doctor of medicine.
(d) As a countryside expert on trapdoor spiders.
2. Why does Margo kiss the saint's feet?
(a) To cure her acne.
(b) To lose weight.
(c) To get a boyfriend.
(d) For good luck.
3. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
(a) Build a cottage on their property.
(b) Add on a guest room to the villa.
(c) Send Margo, Leslie, and Gerry away for the summer.
(d) Move to a bigger villa.
4. What brings a smile to Lugaretzia?
(a) Her children.
(d) Talking about her ailments.
5. What do Gerry and George use as water-pistols in the bay?
(c) Sea slugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
2. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
3. At the end of Part II: Chapter 8, Tortoise Hills, what does Theodore say can happen in Corfu?
4. What insects does Gerry find that can change colors, like chameleons?
5. Why does Yani never sleep in the hills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
2. Why was Yani one of the people Gerry liked best?
3. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
4. What was Theodore's opinion about life on Mars?
5. In the spring, what is the first amazing event Gerry witnesses on Tortoise Hill?
6. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
7. How was the health of the Durrell family in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
8. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
9. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
10. How does Margo act as a hypochondriac in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)