|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
(a) The common earwig.
(b) The trapdoor spider.
(c) The earwig spider.
(d) The trapdoor earwig.
2. After their swim in Chapter 5, where do Gerry and Roger go for a snack?
(a) Spiro's Diner.
(b) Yani's house.
(c) Leonora's house.
3. What does Theodore offer to show Gerry at tea on Thursday?
(a) Microscope slides.
(b) His collection of scorpion bottles.
(c) His birds.
(d) A book about trapdoor spiders.
4. What illness does Margo suffer from in the English weather?
5. Who explores the countryside with Gerry?
(c) Widdle and Puke.
(d) No one, he went alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zatopec is one of the first of Larry's guests to arrive for a visit, what is his occupation?
2. Where is the Durrell family living at the beginning of Part II: Chapter 7?
3. When Larry goes to light a cigarette, what flies out of the box?
4. What is Mother doing at the onset of Larry's attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
5. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
2. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
3. What is the significance of Yani's scorpion in the bottle of olive oil?
4. How did Gerry and Mother's opinions regarding the pace for eating breakfast differ?
5. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
6. How does Gerry describe the weather in England during August?
7. How did Larry attempt to help his family regain their pose, after it was shattered by Roger and the pack of dogs?
8. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
9. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
10. How do the islanders see Spiro?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)