|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
(a) His spelling.
(b) The "dreadful puns."
(c) His family.
(d) The magenpies.
2. How is the August weather in England described?
(a) Sunny skies and gentle breezes.
(b) A stinging drizzle and freezing temperatures.
(c) A biting wind and stinging drizzle.
(d) A biting wind and cold temperatures.
3. Who rescues the Durrells from the Greek cab drivers?
(d) The British Consul.
4. What do Gerry and George use as water-pistols in the bay?
(d) Sea slugs.
5. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) An ugly angel.
(b) A guardian angel.
(c) Saint Assisi.
(d) A watchdog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
2. What is the name of Gerry's tortoise?
3. How many years does the Durrell family stay on Corfu?
4. While still on the boat, approaching Corfu, what does Gerry hear?
5. What is the name of the family dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
2. In Part II: Conversation, how does Gerry describe the arrival of spring?
3. Gerry's magpies, or magenpies, are from the crow tribe of birds. How do they live up to the crow tribe stereo type in the Durrell family house, especially in Larry's room?
4. When George instituted outdoor lessons, what game did he and Gerry play in the bay, and how did this further his learning?
5. Why does Gerry have difficulties with mathematical problems?
6. How did spring affect Mother, when left undisturbed by Larry? What affect did this have on Larry?
7. Why are the Durrells having a party in Part 3?
8. How did Gerry compress five years into one book?
9. How did Spiro act as the Durrell family's caretaker?
10. Was Mother's request to be shown a villa with a bathroom unreasonable?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)