|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the family dog?
2. One day Mother and Gerry buy the Rose-Beetle Man's entire stock of rose-beetles, what do they do with them?
(a) Tie them to the lamps in the house.
(b) Release them into the garden.
(c) Tie them to their hats.
(d) Feed them to the frogs.
3. What is the villa called that Spiro shows the family in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
(a) Tortoise-green Villa.
(b) Strawberry-pink Villa.
(c) Rose-beetle Villa.
(d) Daffodil-yellow Villa.
4. What does Spiro not like about the man that Margo goes swimming with?
(a) He does not have a job.
(b) He is a prisoner.
(c) He cuts peoples throats.
(d) He is a Turk.
5. Who does the family decide will teach Gerry?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does George go about teaching Gerry mathematics?
2. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
3. How is the August weather in England described?
4. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
5. Who does Larry decide to attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gerry describe his first glimpse and sounds of Corfu and its waters?
2. Gerald's original intent for his book was an account of the natural history on the island of Corfu. Why did that change?
3. How does Gerry describe the Strawberry-Pink Villa?
4. How does the Durrell family breakfast play out?
5. Why was it important to Gerry's mother that he mention she was a widow?
6. What did Gerry think about his family's contribution to the book?
7. Why is the Rose-Beetle Man described as one of the most weird and fascinating characters Gerry met?
8. Why is Mother concerned about Larry's friends being highbrow?
9. What does it say about Larry's character that he has invited friends to stay at the villa when there is not enough room, and he does not tell Mother until they are almost there?
10. What bonding event do Gerry and Leslie share? Why do you think this is appealing to Gerry?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)