|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of catching Old Plop, what does Gerry catch?
(a) The flu.
(b) A criminal.
(c) Two water-snakes.
(d) A big old fish in the bay.
2. When Spiro brings the mail, what does the bulk of Margo's mail consist of?
(a) Fashion magazines.
(b) Dieting magazines.
(c) Gun catalogues.
(d) Romance novels.
3. In Part II: Conversation, where does the family spend most of its time eating, sleeping, reading, and/or arguing?
(a) The bay.
(b) The garden.
(c) The olive groves.
(d) The veranda.
4. Why is the snow-white villa given its name?
(a) The paperwhite surrounding it are in full bloom.
(b) Snow White lived there.
(c) It is snowing.
(d) Its color is white as snow.
5. What are the Chessboard Fields named after?
(a) Mr. Chessboard, a Englishman who once lived on Corfu.
(b) A field where the peasants play chess every Sunday.
(c) Fields sprawling with flowers in a chessboard pattern.
(d) Fields sprawling with small square crops.
6. What is the name of the black-backed gull Gerry acquires from the criminal?
7. Why does Mother dispense of Peter's services?
(a) Because his wage is too high for them to pay while in the bigger house.
(b) Because he and Margo are getting too close.
(c) Because he is rude to Larry.
(d) Because Gerry is not learning anything.
8. Why does Gerry go to the sea in Part 3, Chapter 17?
(a) To wash and get a bird.
(b) To wash and fish.
(c) To eat fish and cockles.
(d) To wash and eat cockles.
9. As a result of the matchbox incident, what happens to Gerry?
(a) He is grounded for ten days.
(b) He receives Greek lessons with Spiro.
(c) He receives French lessons with the Belgian consul.
(d) He has to get a job.
10. What does Gerry name the gecko that takes up residence in his bedroom?
11. How does Kralefsky end up with two broken ribs?
(a) Carrying an overweight lady and then slipping on a wet stone.
(b) Falling down stairs.
(c) Wrestling with Gerry.
(d) Fighting with a bull-terrier.
12. What event occurs at the end of Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter that causes the family great distress?
(a) Leslie's burglar alarm.
(b) The magenpies get out.
(c) A fire in the house.
(d) Gerry's scorpion's babies get out of the matchboxes.
13. What names are given to the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest?
(b) Achilles and Ulysses.
(c) Widdle and Puke.
(d) Dee and Dum.
14. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
(a) Peasant women.
15. What is the family preparing for in Part III: Chapter 18, An Entertainment with Animals?
(a) A going away party.
(b) A circus.
(c) A party.
(d) A birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Widdle and Puke?
2. How does the family feel about Great Aunt Hermione?
3. When Gerry reaches the nest at the top of the olive tree, what do his dogs below look like?
4. How does winter come to the island of Corfu?
5. Who does Gerry ask to build him a boat so he can visit the archipelago?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)