|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Durrell family described on the train back to England?
(a) "One traveling circus and staff."
(b) "A staff of circus goers."
(c) "The Durrell Family Circus."
(d) "The Durrells."
2. What are the Chessboard Fields named after?
(a) A field where the peasants play chess every Sunday.
(b) Mr. Chessboard, a Englishman who once lived on Corfu.
(c) Fields sprawling with small square crops.
(d) Fields sprawling with flowers in a chessboard pattern.
3. While squirrel hunting, what does Gerry find instead?
(a) A baby bat.
(b) A large tortoise.
(c) A baby racoon.
(d) A baby owl.
4. What is the family preparing for in Part III: Chapter 18, An Entertainment with Animals?
(a) A party.
(b) A birthday.
(c) A circus.
(d) A going away party.
5. What riveting news does Mother receive in a letter from Great Aunt Hermione?
(a) That she wants to come and stay.
(b) That Aunt Mabel moved to Sussex.
(c) Henry broke his leg.
(d) Henry passed away.
6. When Spiro brings the mail, what does the bulk of Margo's mail consist of?
(a) Gun catalogues.
(b) Fashion magazines.
(c) Romance novels.
(d) Dieting magazines.
7. Who is Old Plop?
(a) A big old fish in the bay.
(b) An old Greecian peasant man who makes a plopping noise when he sits.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A large and ancient terrapin.
8. What does the crumbling wall that surrounded the sunken garden provide Gerry?
(a) A great view of the Tortoise Hills.
(b) A rich hunting ground.
(c) An imaginary world of make-believe.
(d) Something to spackle.
9. What illuminates the family's nighttime picnic at the bay?
(a) Fireflies and phosphorus.
(b) Fireflies and lanterns.
(c) Phosphorus and cigarettes.
(d) Lanterns and a fire.
10. How does Kralefsky end up with two broken ribs?
(a) Falling down stairs.
(b) Carrying an overweight lady and then slipping on a wet stone.
(c) Wrestling with Gerry.
(d) Fighting with a bull-terrier.
11. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
(b) Peasant women.
12. What event occurs at the end of Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter that causes the family great distress?
(a) The magenpies get out.
(b) Gerry's scorpion's babies get out of the matchboxes.
(c) A fire in the house.
(d) Leslie's burglar alarm.
13. As a result of the matchbox incident, what happens to Gerry?
(a) He has to get a job.
(b) He receives French lessons with the Belgian consul.
(c) He receives Greek lessons with Spiro.
(d) He is grounded for ten days.
14. What does Kralefsky's mother think about flowers?
(a) They are wonderful to work with.
(b) That they can talk.
(c) They smell beautiful.
(d) That birds prefer daisies.
15. What languages do the magenpies learn to speak?
(a) French and Greek.
(b) Greek and English.
(c) English and Spanish.
(d) French and English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother name her Dandy Dinmont?
2. In Part II: Conversation, where does the family spend most of its time eating, sleeping, reading, and/or arguing?
3. What names are given to the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest?
4. Why are the sea fauna greatly attracted to the archipelago?
5. Why does Gerry go to the sea in Part 3, Chapter 17?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)