|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does winter come to the island of Corfu?
(b) With a howl and a shriek.
(d) Slowly and steadily.
2. What uncharacteristic thing does Larry do in Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter?
(a) Take dancing lessons.
(b) Go on a diet.
(c) Help Mother in the kitchen.
(d) Go hunting.
3. What names are given to the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest?
(a) Dee and Dum.
(b) Achilles and Ulysses.
(d) Widdle and Puke.
4. Instead of catching Old Plop, what does Gerry catch?
(a) A criminal.
(b) Two water-snakes.
(c) A big old fish in the bay.
(d) The flu.
5. What is the name of the black-backed gull Gerry acquires from the criminal?
6. Where is the Durrell family planning to move in Part II: Conversation?
(a) To another island in Greece.
(b) To a smaller villa.
(c) To a bigger villa.
(d) To England.
7. What is the name given to Gerry's boat?
(a) The Sea Calf.
(b) The Bootle.
(c) The Bumtrinket.
(d) The Bootle-Bumtrinket.
8. How does Kralefsky teach Gerry the French language?
(a) With a set of zoology books.
(b) By repetition and drills.
(c) With a set of bird books.
(d) By walking around town and naming things.
9. When Gerry reaches the nest at the top of the olive tree, what do his dogs below look like?
(a) The size of pimpernel flowers.
(b) They look like their regular size.
(c) As small as a toad.
(d) The size of ants.
10. How many baby magpies does Gerry take from the nest?
11. In Part II: Chapter 11, The Enchanted Archipelago, what addition is made to the Sea Cow?
(a) A bell.
(c) Additional oars.
(d) An outboard engine.
12. As a result of the matchbox incident, what happens to Gerry?
(a) He receives French lessons with the Belgian consul.
(b) He receives Greek lessons with Spiro.
(c) He has to get a job.
(d) He is grounded for ten days.
13. How is the Durrell family described on the train back to England?
(a) "One traveling circus and staff."
(b) "The Durrell Family Circus."
(c) "A staff of circus goers."
(d) "The Durrells."
14. What is the name of Gerry's book that he starts writing in Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies?
(a) Fauna of Corfu.
(b) My Adventures with Roger.
(c) Boy's Own Paper.
(d) Natural History of Corfu.
15. In Part II: Conversation, where does the family spend most of its time eating, sleeping, reading, and/or arguing?
(a) The garden.
(b) The bay.
(c) The veranda.
(d) The olive groves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gerry go to the sea in Part 3, Chapter 17?
2. At the snow-white villa, what does Gerry get on intimate terms with?
3. From what union does Dodo bear a puppy?
4. Who is Gerry's tutor in the beginning of Part III: Chapter 14, The Talking Flowers?
5. What does Kralefsky consider to be "the ticket"?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)