|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When returning to the villa with his horn blaring, what does Spiro have with him for the party?
(a) The doctor for Kralefsky.
(b) Larry's manuscript from the publisher.
(c) Three cooked turkeys.
(d) The Greek King.
2. Why do the Durrells decide to move back to England?
(a) Great Aunt Hermione died.
(b) The bank demands their presence.
(c) For Gerry's education.
(d) Because they miss merry ole England.
3. Aside from the sirocco, what impedes Margo's return from the island where she seeks solitude?
(a) Her puffy sunburned eyelids.
(b) The Sea Cow.
(c) The dogs barking.
4. How does Kralefsky teach Gerry the French language?
(a) By repetition and drills.
(b) By walking around town and naming things.
(c) With a set of zoology books.
(d) With a set of bird books.
5. What is the most striking attribute of the Belgian consul?
(a) His accent.
(b) His three-point beard.
(c) His immaculate clothing.
(d) His tall stature.
6. What is the name of Gerry's book that he starts writing in Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies?
(a) Boy's Own Paper.
(b) My Adventures with Roger.
(c) Natural History of Corfu.
(d) Fauna of Corfu.
7. What does Gerry say "danced and twisted like wind-blown confetti" in the summer?
(d) Olive leaves.
8. What colors are the cyclamen that grow under the olive trees?
(a) Magenta and white.
(b) Red-wine and white.
(c) Magenta and red-wine.
(d) White and purple.
9. At the end of Part II: Conversation, what proverb does Margo share about change?
(a) Change is always painful at first, but then rewarding as a blue ribbon.
(b) Change is as good as a feast.
(c) Change is necessary.
(d) Change is always present in our lives.
10. Who does Gerry ask to build him a boat so he can visit the archipelago?
11. Why is Leslie's bath impeded in Part 3, Chapter 18?
(a) Gerry has his water-snakes in the bath.
(b) Margo had used all the towels.
(c) The water is shut off.
(d) He has to help save Dodo from the angry dogs.
12. Who are Widdle and Puke?
(a) Two owls Gerry receives for his birthday.
(b) Two magenpies Gerry receives for his birthday.
(c) Two puppies Gerry receives for his birthday.
(d) Two tortoises Gerry receives for his birthday.
13. Under the loose plaster of the crumbing wall, what does Gerry find?
(b) A black beetle.
(c) A white scorpion.
(d) A black scorpion.
14. The toads that Gerry finds are the size of:
(a) A large plate.
(b) A small tortoise.
(c) A teacup.
(d) An average size saucer.
15. How does the family feel about Great Aunt Hermione?
(a) They do not like her.
(b) She is their favorite relative.
(c) They love her and look forward to her visits.
(d) They do not like her taste in modern music.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kralefsky end up with two broken ribs?
2. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
3. As a result of the matchbox incident, what happens to Gerry?
4. What event occurs at the end of Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter that causes the family great distress?
5. How many guest RSVP to Gerry's birthday party?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)