|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kralefsky consider to be "the ticket"?
(b) Natural history.
2. How many guest RSVP to Gerry's birthday party?
3. As a result of the matchbox incident, what happens to Gerry?
(a) He receives Greek lessons with Spiro.
(b) He receives French lessons with the Belgian consul.
(c) He has to get a job.
(d) He is grounded for ten days.
4. What does Mother name her Dandy Dinmont?
5. Who is Old Plop?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A big old fish in the bay.
(c) A large and ancient terrapin.
(d) An old Greecian peasant man who makes a plopping noise when he sits.
6. What does Gerry say "danced and twisted like wind-blown confetti" in the summer?
(b) Olive leaves.
7. What is the one thing that Roger, Widdle, and Puke find interesting about Dodo?
(a) She comes into season regularly.
(b) She can jump high.
(c) She can catch her tail.
(d) She can sneak treats for them.
8. Who is Gerry's tutor in the beginning of Part III: Chapter 14, The Talking Flowers?
(b) Mr. Kralefsky.
9. What is wrong with Theodore's friend's house when another floor is added?
(a) The windows will not open.
(b) They use poor materials.
(c) They do not have zoning permits.
(d) There are no stairs.
10. What event occurs at the end of Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter that causes the family great distress?
(a) Leslie's burglar alarm.
(b) The magenpies get out.
(c) Gerry's scorpion's babies get out of the matchboxes.
(d) A fire in the house.
11. Whose room do the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest disrupt?
12. Where does Mother say she wants to be buried?
(c) Lake Ocarina.
(d) Lake Antinoitissa.
13. What does the crumbling wall that surrounded the sunken garden provide Gerry?
(a) A rich hunting ground.
(b) A great view of the Tortoise Hills.
(c) An imaginary world of make-believe.
(d) Something to spackle.
14. Aside from the sirocco, what impedes Margo's return from the island where she seeks solitude?
(a) Her puffy sunburned eyelids.
(b) The Sea Cow.
(d) The dogs barking.
15. What is Kralefsky's special interest?
(c) Aquatic life.
Short Answer Questions
1. When returning to the villa with his horn blaring, what does Spiro have with him for the party?
2. How does the family feel about Great Aunt Hermione?
3. Which two Durrell family members get motion sickness in the boats?
4. How does Kralefsky teach Gerry the French language?
5. In Part II: Conversation, where does the family spend most of its time eating, sleeping, reading, and/or arguing?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)