|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kralefsky end up with two broken ribs?
(a) Carrying an overweight lady and then slipping on a wet stone.
(b) Falling down stairs.
(c) Fighting with a bull-terrier.
(d) Wrestling with Gerry.
2. Who does Gerry ask to build him a boat so he can visit the archipelago?
3. Instead of catching Old Plop, what does Gerry catch?
(a) The flu.
(b) A criminal.
(c) Two water-snakes.
(d) A big old fish in the bay.
4. Which two Durrell family members get motion sickness in the boats?
(a) Theodore and Dodo.
(b) Theodore and Puke.
(c) Puke and Peter.
(d) Mother and Dodo.
5. Where does Spiro obtain Gerry's goldfish?
(a) The palace of Spirodian.
(b) The pet store.
(c) The palace of the Greek King.
(d) The bay.
6. Where is the Durrell family planning to move in Part II: Conversation?
(a) To England.
(b) To a smaller villa.
(c) To another island in Greece.
(d) To a bigger villa.
7. Who are Widdle and Puke?
(a) Two magenpies Gerry receives for his birthday.
(b) Two puppies Gerry receives for his birthday.
(c) Two tortoises Gerry receives for his birthday.
(d) Two owls Gerry receives for his birthday.
8. At the end of Part II: Conversation, what proverb does Margo share about change?
(a) Change is necessary.
(b) Change is as good as a feast.
(c) Change is always painful at first, but then rewarding as a blue ribbon.
(d) Change is always present in our lives.
9. In Part II: Chapter 11, The Enchanted Archipelago, what addition is made to the Sea Cow?
(a) An outboard engine.
(c) A bell.
(d) Additional oars.
10. As a result of the matchbox incident, what happens to Gerry?
(a) He receives French lessons with the Belgian consul.
(b) He receives Greek lessons with Spiro.
(c) He is grounded for ten days.
(d) He has to get a job.
11. Whose room do the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest disrupt?
12. What is wrong with Theodore's friend's house when another floor is added?
(a) They use poor materials.
(b) There are no stairs.
(c) The windows will not open.
(d) They do not have zoning permits.
13. How does Kralefsky teach Gerry the French language?
(a) With a set of bird books.
(b) By walking around town and naming things.
(c) By repetition and drills.
(d) With a set of zoology books.
14. What does Gerry name the gecko that takes up residence in his bedroom?
15. What illuminates the family's nighttime picnic at the bay?
(a) Phosphorus and cigarettes.
(b) Fireflies and phosphorus.
(c) Fireflies and lanterns.
(d) Lanterns and a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that Roger, Widdle, and Puke find interesting about Dodo?
2. In Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies, who tutors Gerry in the summer?
3. At the snow-white villa, what does Gerry get on intimate terms with?
4. What event gets Margo out of the attic?
5. Why does Mother dispense of Peter's services?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)