|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Part II: Conversation, what proverb does Margo share about change?
(a) Change is always painful at first, but then rewarding as a blue ribbon.
(b) Change is necessary.
(c) Change is always present in our lives.
(d) Change is as good as a feast.
2. Why does Gerry go to the sea in Part 3, Chapter 17?
(a) To eat fish and cockles.
(b) To wash and get a bird.
(c) To wash and fish.
(d) To wash and eat cockles.
3. Why are the sea fauna greatly attracted to the archipelago?
(a) The water around the archipelago is rich in minerals.
(b) The reason is never discovered.
(c) The sea fauna is actually stuck there from low tides.
(d) The archipelago provides the sea fauna a safe haven from predators.
4. Why do the Durrells decide to move back to England?
(a) Because they miss merry ole England.
(b) For Gerry's education.
(c) The bank demands their presence.
(d) Great Aunt Hermione died.
5. As a result of the matchbox incident, what happens to Gerry?
(a) He receives French lessons with the Belgian consul.
(b) He receives Greek lessons with Spiro.
(c) He is grounded for ten days.
(d) He has to get a job.
6. Why is the snow-white villa given its name?
(a) Snow White lived there.
(b) It is snowing.
(c) The paperwhite surrounding it are in full bloom.
(d) Its color is white as snow.
7. At the snow-white villa, what does Gerry get on intimate terms with?
8. What is the name of Gerry's book that he starts writing in Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies?
(a) Natural History of Corfu.
(b) Boy's Own Paper.
(c) My Adventures with Roger.
(d) Fauna of Corfu.
9. What languages do the magenpies learn to speak?
(a) English and Spanish.
(b) Greek and English.
(c) French and English.
(d) French and Greek.
10. When Gerry reaches the nest at the top of the olive tree, what do his dogs below look like?
(a) The size of ants.
(b) The size of pimpernel flowers.
(c) As small as a toad.
(d) They look like their regular size.
11. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
(b) Peasant women.
12. Where does Geronimo live?
(a) In the snow-white villa.
(b) In Mother's room.
(c) With Spiro.
(d) In the zinna bed.
13. Whose room do the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest disrupt?
14. Aside from the sirocco, what impedes Margo's return from the island where she seeks solitude?
(b) The Sea Cow.
(c) The dogs barking.
(d) Her puffy sunburned eyelids.
15. What uncharacteristic thing does Larry do in Part II: Chapter 12, the Woodcock Winter?
(a) Go hunting.
(b) Go on a diet.
(c) Take dancing lessons.
(d) Help Mother in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What riveting news does Mother receive in a letter from Great Aunt Hermione?
2. What is Kralefsky's special interest?
3. What colors are the cyclamen that grow under the olive trees?
4. What is wrong with Theodore's friend's house when another floor is added?
5. Who does Gerry ask to build him a boat so he can visit the archipelago?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)