|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While squirrel hunting, what does Gerry find instead?
(a) A baby bat.
(b) A large tortoise.
(c) A baby owl.
(d) A baby racoon.
2. What does Kralefsky consider to be "the ticket"?
(a) Natural history.
3. Instead of catching Old Plop, what does Gerry catch?
(a) Two water-snakes.
(b) The flu.
(c) A big old fish in the bay.
(d) A criminal.
4. When returning to the villa with his horn blaring, what does Spiro have with him for the party?
(a) Three cooked turkeys.
(b) The Greek King.
(c) Larry's manuscript from the publisher.
(d) The doctor for Kralefsky.
5. In Part II: Conversation, where does the family spend most of its time eating, sleeping, reading, and/or arguing?
(a) The veranda.
(b) The garden.
(c) The bay.
(d) The olive groves.
6. When Spiro brings the mail, what does the bulk of Margo's mail consist of?
(a) Fashion magazines.
(b) Gun catalogues.
(c) Dieting magazines.
(d) Romance novels.
7. Why is the snow-white villa given its name?
(a) The paperwhite surrounding it are in full bloom.
(b) Snow White lived there.
(c) Its color is white as snow.
(d) It is snowing.
8. What names are given to the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest?
(a) Dee and Dum.
(b) Achilles and Ulysses.
(d) Widdle and Puke.
9. Why does Gerry go to the sea in Part 3, Chapter 17?
(a) To wash and eat cockles.
(b) To eat fish and cockles.
(c) To wash and fish.
(d) To wash and get a bird.
10. In Part II: Chapter 10, Pageant of the Fireflies, who tutors Gerry in the summer?
11. Whose room do the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest disrupt?
12. When Gerry reaches the nest at the top of the olive tree, what do his dogs below look like?
(a) The size of ants.
(b) The size of pimpernel flowers.
(c) They look like their regular size.
(d) As small as a toad.
13. What riveting news does Mother receive in a letter from Great Aunt Hermione?
(a) That she wants to come and stay.
(b) Henry passed away.
(c) That Aunt Mabel moved to Sussex.
(d) Henry broke his leg.
14. What colors are the cyclamen that grow under the olive trees?
(a) Magenta and red-wine.
(b) White and purple.
(c) Red-wine and white.
(d) Magenta and white.
15. How does winter come to the island of Corfu?
(c) Slowly and steadily.
(d) With a howl and a shriek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Durrells decide to move back to England?
2. Where does Geronimo live?
3. Under the loose plaster of the crumbing wall, what does Gerry find?
4. How does the family feel about Great Aunt Hermione?
5. Where is the Durrell family planning to move in Part II: Conversation?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)