|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two Durrell family members get motion sickness in the boats?
(a) Theodore and Dodo.
(b) Mother and Dodo.
(c) Puke and Peter.
(d) Theodore and Puke.
2. What event gets Margo out of the attic?
(a) Leslie's burglar trap going off.
(b) Peter returning for her.
(c) Gerry pleading with her.
(d) Mother's delicious meals.
3. Under the loose plaster of the crumbing wall, what does Gerry find?
(a) A black scorpion.
(b) A white scorpion.
(c) A black beetle.
4. How does Kralefsky end up with two broken ribs?
(a) Wrestling with Gerry.
(b) Carrying an overweight lady and then slipping on a wet stone.
(c) Fighting with a bull-terrier.
(d) Falling down stairs.
5. While squirrel hunting, what does Gerry find instead?
(a) A baby bat.
(b) A baby owl.
(c) A baby racoon.
(d) A large tortoise.
6. Where is the Durrell family planning to move in Part II: Conversation?
(a) To another island in Greece.
(b) To a bigger villa.
(c) To a smaller villa.
(d) To England.
7. What is wrong with Theodore's friend's house when another floor is added?
(a) They do not have zoning permits.
(b) There are no stairs.
(c) They use poor materials.
(d) The windows will not open.
8. In Part II: Conversation, where does the family spend most of its time eating, sleeping, reading, and/or arguing?
(a) The veranda.
(b) The olive groves.
(c) The bay.
(d) The garden.
9. At the end of Part II: Conversation, what proverb does Margo share about change?
(a) Change is as good as a feast.
(b) Change is always painful at first, but then rewarding as a blue ribbon.
(c) Change is necessary.
(d) Change is always present in our lives.
10. Where does Geronimo live?
(a) In Mother's room.
(b) In the snow-white villa.
(c) With Spiro.
(d) In the zinna bed.
11. What does Gerry say "danced and twisted like wind-blown confetti" in the summer?
(b) Olive leaves.
12. What does Kralefsky's mother think about flowers?
(a) That birds prefer daisies.
(b) That they can talk.
(c) They smell beautiful.
(d) They are wonderful to work with.
13. Where does Mother say she wants to be buried?
(a) Lake Ocarina.
(c) Lake Antinoitissa.
14. Instead of catching Old Plop, what does Gerry catch?
(a) A big old fish in the bay.
(b) A criminal.
(c) The flu.
(d) Two water-snakes.
15. Who does Gerry ask to build him a boat so he can visit the archipelago?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the summer, what makes the island vibrate with their cries?
2. What is the name given to Gerry's boat?
3. Whose room do the magpies that Gerry takes from the nest disrupt?
4. How does the family feel about Great Aunt Hermione?
5. Why does Gerry go to the sea in Part 3, Chapter 17?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)