|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spiro not like about the man that Margo goes swimming with?
(a) He is a Turk.
(b) He does not have a job.
(c) He is a prisoner.
(d) He cuts peoples throats.
2. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
(a) The Rose-Beetle Man.
3. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
(a) As an excellent fencer and dancer.
(b) As an eccentric nature-lover.
(c) As a conservative doctor of medicine.
(d) As a countryside expert on trapdoor spiders.
4. What wakes Yani up from his siesta in Chapter 5?
(a) Gerry willing him awake.
(b) Roger chasing a cat.
(c) Gerry shaking him.
(d) Gerry throwing stones.
5. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
(a) Spiro picked them up in his Suburban.
(b) One stretch limo.
(c) Two taxi cabs.
(d) Two horse-drawn cabs.
6. What does Margo's Turkish suitor think he can do superbly?
(a) Write, swim, and ride.
(b) Cook, sail, and write.
(c) Dance, fence, and type.
(d) Swim, ride, and sail.
7. What illness does Leslie suffer from in the English weather?
(c) Bleeding ears.
(d) Whooping cough.
8. After their swim in Chapter 5, where do Gerry and Roger go for a snack?
(a) Spiro's Diner.
(b) Leonora's house.
(d) Yani's house.
9. What insects does Gerry find that can change colors, like chameleons?
(b) Crab spiders.
(c) Rose beetles.
10. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
(a) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
(c) His wife.
11. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
(a) Mother's recipe books.
(b) Leslie's gun books.
(d) Bed linens.
12. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
(a) The trapdoor earwig.
(b) The trapdoor spider.
(c) The common earwig.
(d) The earwig spider.
13. What do Gerry and George use as water-pistols in the bay?
(c) Sea slugs.
14. What illness does Margo suffer from in the English weather?
15. What do the olive groves echo with?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
2. In the beginning of Part I: Conversation, what does Larry do that upsets Mother?
3. What is the name of Gerry's tortoise?
4. What does Larry liken the Durrell family's entry to?
5. Gerry brings four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and ______ to Corfu.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)