|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who names Gerry's pigeon?
2. Who is the most weird and fascinating character Gerry meets on his explorations?
(b) The Rose-Beetle Man.
3. Why do the Durrell's want to leave the hotel as soon as possible?
(a) They want to settle down soon.
(b) The state of the lavatory.
(c) It is a dusty hotel.
(d) The food is awful.
4. Who does the family decide will teach Gerry?
5. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
(a) She can never remember the date of her birth.
(b) Her birth certificate is damaged in a move.
(c) She will not tell them her age.
(d) Her mother did not tell her the date she was born.
6. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
(d) The Rose-Beetle Man.
7. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
(a) Big ones and little ones.
(b) Teacup sized ones only.
(c) Large ones only.
(d) Medium sized ones.
8. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
(a) One of the monkeys.
(b) The vulture.
(c) One of the pelicans.
(d) The scarlet ibis.
9. What kind of books are on Mother's bedside table?
(a) Poetry, natural history, and dieting books.
(b) Mysteries, cooking, and poetry books.
(c) Cooking, gardening, and natural history books.
(d) Cooking, gardening, and mystery books.
10. Why does Gerry's mother insist he explain she is a widow?
(a) She wants men to know she is available.
(b) She does not want people to think ill of her.
(c) She wants her story told accurately.
(d) She wants the reader's sympathy.
11. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
(a) A tortoise.
(b) A pigeon.
(c) A magpie.
(d) A flute.
12. Who suggests to Larry that Corfu is wonderful?
(d) His friend George.
13. How is the August weather in England described?
(a) A biting wind and stinging drizzle.
(b) Sunny skies and gentle breezes.
(c) A biting wind and cold temperatures.
(d) A stinging drizzle and freezing temperatures.
14. How do Gerry and George win points in their game in the bay?
(a) By squirting the sea-slug the farthest.
(b) By applying mathematic applications to the sea fauna.
(c) By discovering the most sea fauna.
(d) By finding the most sea-slugs.
15. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
(b) Doctor Theodore Stephanides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Gerry hear the Rose-Beetle Man before he sees him?
2. Zatopec is one of the first of Larry's guests to arrive for a visit, what is his occupation?
3. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
4. Who accompanies Margo and the Turkish boy on their date?
5. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)