|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
(a) Everything in Greece is overpriced.
(b) He does not want them to get swindled.
(c) He has to keep up his reputation as Spiro the Great.
(d) He is subsidizing them until their money arrives.
2. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
3. What illness does Margo suffer from in the English weather?
4. What does Gerald's secretary, Sophie, eradicate from his book?
(c) Dreadful puns.
(d) Split infinitives.
5. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) A watchdog.
(b) A guardian angel.
(c) Saint Assisi.
(d) An ugly angel.
6. What insects does Gerry find that can change colors, like chameleons?
(a) Rose beetles.
(d) Crab spiders.
7. After their swim in Chapter 5, where do Gerry and Roger go for a snack?
(a) Yani's house.
(c) Leonora's house.
(d) Spiro's Diner.
8. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
(a) One stretch limo.
(b) Two horse-drawn cabs.
(c) Two taxi cabs.
(d) Spiro picked them up in his Suburban.
9. What about the tortoises does Gerry find very interesting?
(a) Their leathered skin.
(b) Their mating ritual.
(c) Their food choices.
(d) Their shells.
10. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
(a) Mother's recipe books.
(c) Bed linens.
(d) Leslie's gun books.
11. Where is Quasimodo during Gerry's lessons?
(a) Flying around the room.
(b) Marching to music.
(c) Sitting in Gerry's lap.
(d) Sitting on the table.
12. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
(c) Doctor Theodore Stephanides.
13. What does Margo's Turkish suitor think he can do superbly?
(a) Dance, fence, and type.
(b) Write, swim, and ride.
(c) Swim, ride, and sail.
(d) Cook, sail, and write.
14. Where does Mother suggest Larry's friends stay?
(b) At Pension Suisse.
(c) In her room.
(d) On the veranda.
15. Who does Gerald dedicate this book to?
(a) His mother.
(c) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
(d) The Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gerry describe the bay?
2. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
3. Who rescues the Durrells from the Greek cab drivers?
4. What does Theodore offer to show Gerry at tea on Thursday?
5. Who accompanies Margo and the Turkish boy on their date?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)