|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of hat does Theodore wear?
(a) A beret.
(b) A Homburg.
(c) A derby.
(d) A cowboy hat.
2. Who suggests to Larry that Corfu is wonderful?
(b) His friend George.
3. When Spring came, Larry purchases a guitar and a large barrel of strong red wine. What kind of songs does he play?
(a) Island peasant songs.
(b) Elizabethan love songs.
(c) English melodies.
(d) Island folk songs.
4. What does Larry say the family needs in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
(b) More money.
(c) Better literature.
(d) A better doctor.
5. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
(a) Madame Cyclops.
(b) Gerry, because he names it Tortoise Hill.
(c) The island of Corfu.
(d) The tortoises.
6. What does Gerald's secretary, Sophie, eradicate from his book?
(b) Split infinitives.
(d) Dreadful puns.
7. How many years does the Durrell family stay on Corfu?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Four and a half years.
(d) Six years.
8. Where does Theodore suggest they go in the spring to explore ditches?
(a) Val de Ropa.
(b) His backyard.
(c) The Corfu bay.
(d) The strawberry-pink villa.
9. How many species of cyclops are found on Corfu?
10. When Larry goes to light a cigarette, what flies out of the box?
(a) A fire-fly.
(b) A bumble-bee.
(c) A grashopper.
(d) A mantis.
11. What special day is it when Spiro drives Gerry, Mother, and Margo to town to buy furniture?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(b) Saint Spiridon Day.
(d) Saint Assisi Day.
12. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) A watchdog.
(b) Saint Assisi.
(c) A guardian angel.
(d) An ugly angel.
13. What does Margo's Turkish suitor think he can do superbly?
(a) Write, swim, and ride.
(b) Cook, sail, and write.
(c) Dance, fence, and type.
(d) Swim, ride, and sail.
14. Where does Mother suggest Larry's friends stay?
(a) On the veranda.
(b) In her room.
(c) At Pension Suisse.
15. What is Mother doing at the onset of Larry's attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
(a) Petting Dodo.
(b) Reading a cooking book.
(c) Washing dishes.
(d) Reading a gardening book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George do while waiting for Gerry to solve a math problem?
2. Larry becomes overweight in the spring. Which of the following is one of Margo's suggested diets?
3. What about the tortoises does Gerry find very interesting?
4. What is interesting about Quasimodo?
5. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)