|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gerry and George win points in their game in the bay?
(a) By discovering the most sea fauna.
(b) By squirting the sea-slug the farthest.
(c) By finding the most sea-slugs.
(d) By applying mathematic applications to the sea fauna.
2. What do Gerry and George use as water-pistols in the bay?
(d) Sea slugs.
3. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
(d) The Rose-Beetle Man.
4. What illness does Leslie suffer from in the English weather?
(b) Bleeding ears.
(d) Whooping cough.
5. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 4, what does Gerry's Mother decide for him?
(a) It is time for him to study literature.
(b) It is time for him to join the Merchant Navy.
(c) It is time for him to take dancing lessons.
(d) It is time for him to have some sort of education.
6. What does Gerry think about Theodore's library?
(a) It is thoroughly well-balanced.
(b) It does not have enough Sherlock Holmes.
(c) The Darwin books are dusty.
(d) It is full of natural history books.
7. Who does Larry blame for his siblings being selfish?
(d) Their father.
8. Who teaches Gerry some of the most beautiful and haunting peasant songs?
(c) The Rose-Beetle Man.
9. What illness does Margo suffer from in the English weather?
10. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
(a) His wife.
(c) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
11. How many years does the Durrell family stay on Corfu?
(a) Four and a half years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
12. Gerry brings four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and ______ to Corfu.
(a) A jam jar full of caterpillars
(b) A pelican
(c) A microscope
(d) Two magpies
13. Who names Gerry's pigeon?
14. Why can Gerry hear the Rose-Beetle Man before he sees him?
(a) He can hear his car in the distance.
(b) The rose-beetles are singing.
(c) The Rose-Beetle Man is singing.
(d) He plays a sheperd's pipe.
15. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
(a) A tortoise.
(b) A magpie.
(c) A flute.
(d) A pigeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special day is it when Spiro drives Gerry, Mother, and Margo to town to buy furniture?
2. Who does Larry decide to attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
3. When Larry goes to light a cigarette, what flies out of the box?
4. What kind of books are on Mother's bedside table?
5. How does George go about teaching Gerry mathematics?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)