|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who explores the countryside with Gerry?
(a) No one, he went alone.
(b) Widdle and Puke.
2. What does Theodore send Gerry to assist him in his field work?
(a) A compass.
(b) A magnifying glass.
(c) A pocket microscope.
(d) A notebook and pen.
3. Who does Larry blame for his siblings being selfish?
(c) Their father.
4. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
(a) Two taxi cabs.
(b) Two horse-drawn cabs.
(c) One stretch limo.
(d) Spiro picked them up in his Suburban.
5. Where is the Island of Corfu located?
(a) Val de Ropa.
6. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
(a) Leslie's gun books.
(b) Mother's recipe books.
(c) Bed linens.
7. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
(a) His family.
(b) His spelling.
(c) The magenpies.
(d) The "dreadful puns."
8. How does George go about teaching Gerry mathematics?
(a) With rhythmic rhymes.
(b) By repetition of examples.
(c) With flash cards.
(d) Through natural history examples.
9. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
(a) Not one has a balcony.
(b) Not one has a bathroom.
(c) They are not close enough to the sea.
(d) They are infested with crickets.
10. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
(a) A magpie.
(b) A tortoise.
(c) A flute.
(d) A pigeon.
11. Zatopec is one of the first of Larry's guests to arrive for a visit, what is his occupation?
(a) Armenian artist.
(b) Greecian novelist.
(c) Armenian novelist.
(d) Armenian poet.
12. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
(a) Gerry, because he names it Tortoise Hill.
(b) Madame Cyclops.
(c) The island of Corfu.
(d) The tortoises.
13. What does Larry say his mother is starting to look like in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
(a) An Irish washerwoman.
(b) A ray of sunshine in the gloomy climate.
(c) A plate of scarlet porridge.
(d) A widow.
14. What do Gerry and George use as water-pistols in the bay?
(a) Sea slugs.
15. How many years does Spiro spend in America?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
2. Where is the Durrell family living at the beginning of Part II: Chapter 7?
3. What is interesting about Quasimodo?
4. What insects does Gerry find that can change colors, like chameleons?
5. What do the olive groves echo with?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)