|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness does Leslie suffer from in the English weather?
(a) Bleeding ears.
(c) Whooping cough.
2. What does Larry liken the Durrell family's entry to?
(a) A traveling circus.
(b) A traveling circus of medieval tumblers.
(c) A troupe of medieval tumblers.
(d) Gracious majesty of English nobels.
3. Why do the Durrell's want to leave the hotel as soon as possible?
(a) They want to settle down soon.
(b) The food is awful.
(c) The state of the lavatory.
(d) It is a dusty hotel.
4. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
(a) They are infested with crickets.
(b) Not one has a balcony.
(c) Not one has a bathroom.
(d) They are not close enough to the sea.
5. What does Roger do with the pebbles Gerry found in the sand?
(a) Barks at them.
(b) Eats them.
(c) Drops them back into the water.
(d) Buries them in the sand.
6. What wakes Yani up from his siesta in Chapter 5?
(a) Gerry throwing stones.
(b) Gerry shaking him.
(c) Roger chasing a cat.
(d) Gerry willing him awake.
7. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
(a) The vulture.
(b) One of the pelicans.
(c) One of the monkeys.
(d) The scarlet ibis.
8. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
(a) Her mother did not tell her the date she was born.
(b) She can never remember the date of her birth.
(c) She will not tell them her age.
(d) Her birth certificate is damaged in a move.
9. What does George do while waiting for Gerry to solve a math problem?
(a) Taps his pencil on the table.
(b) Hums the tune to Jeopardy.
(c) Practices dancing and fencing moves.
(d) Sits silently and waits patiently.
10. How does George go about teaching Gerry mathematics?
(a) With rhythmic rhymes.
(b) With flash cards.
(c) By repetition of examples.
(d) Through natural history examples.
11. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
(a) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
(b) His wife.
12. How many people does Larry tell Mother to budget for food and lodging, concerning his summer guests that will be arriving within a few weeks?
(a) Ten or Twelve.
(c) Two or three.
(d) Seven or eight.
13. What does Theodore send Gerry to assist him in his field work?
(a) A notebook and pen.
(b) A magnifying glass.
(c) A compass.
(d) A pocket microscope.
14. What illness does Larry suffer from in the English weather?
15. What is interesting about Quasimodo?
(a) She eats strawberries.
(b) She marches to music.
(c) She sleeps in the house.
(d) She lays an egg.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
2. Who does Gerald dedicate this book to?
3. What is the villa called that Spiro shows the family in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
4. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
5. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)