|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the family dog?
2. Where does Mother suggest Larry's friends stay?
(a) On the veranda.
(c) In her room.
(d) At Pension Suisse.
3. How old is Gerry when the family moves to Corfu?
4. Why does Spiro take complete control the the Durrell's affairs?
(a) He loves the English.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) To swindle them.
(d) To make sure they are not swindled.
5. Instead to taking his goats to Gastouri, what does Yani do?
(a) Tastes Taki's white wine.
(b) Tastes Taki's red wine.
(c) Goes fishing.
(d) Eats figs all day.
6. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
(a) Like living with the three stooges.
(b) Like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas.
(c) Like living in a dream.
(d) Like living in the Garden of Eden.
7. What is Gerry's most exciting discovery?
(b) Crab spiders.
(c) Rose beetles.
(d) An earwig's nest.
8. What wakes Yani up from his siesta in Chapter 5?
(a) Roger chasing a cat.
(b) Gerry throwing stones.
(c) Gerry shaking him.
(d) Gerry willing him awake.
9. Why can Gerry hear the Rose-Beetle Man before he sees him?
(a) He plays a sheperd's pipe.
(b) The rose-beetles are singing.
(c) The Rose-Beetle Man is singing.
(d) He can hear his car in the distance.
10. Who explores the countryside with Gerry?
(b) Widdle and Puke.
(d) No one, he went alone.
11. Who teaches Gerry some of the most beautiful and haunting peasant songs?
(b) The Rose-Beetle Man.
12. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
(a) Everything in Greece is overpriced.
(b) He is subsidizing them until their money arrives.
(c) He does not want them to get swindled.
(d) He has to keep up his reputation as Spiro the Great.
13. Where does Theodore suggest they go in the spring to explore ditches?
(a) The strawberry-pink villa.
(b) His backyard.
(c) Val de Ropa.
(d) The Corfu bay.
14. In the beginning of Part I: Conversation, what does Larry do that upsets Mother?
(a) Invites all his friends to come and stay with them on the island.
(b) Tells Leslie, Margo, Gerry, and Mother they will have to sleep outside while his friends are here.
(c) Invites all his friends to visit and stay at Pension Suisse.
(d) Invites all his friends to visit and sleep on the veranda.
15. What brings a smile to Lugaretzia?
(a) Her children.
(c) Talking about her ailments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who names Gerry's pigeon?
2. Why does Margo kiss the saint's feet?
3. Who does Gerald dedicate this book to?
4. Zatopec is one of the first of Larry's guests to arrive for a visit, what is his occupation?
5. What does Gerald's secretary, Sophie, eradicate from his book?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)