|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George find helpful in teaching Gerry?
(a) Relating everything to caterpillars.
(b) Never leaving the house for an exploration of nature.
(c) Relating everything to birds.
(d) Placing a sprig of zoology into every subject.
2. When Larry goes to light a cigarette, what flies out of the box?
(a) A bumble-bee.
(b) A fire-fly.
(c) A mantis.
(d) A grashopper.
3. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
(a) Not one has a balcony.
(b) Not one has a bathroom.
(c) They are not close enough to the sea.
(d) They are infested with crickets.
4. What wakes Yani up from his siesta in Chapter 5?
(a) Gerry throwing stones.
(b) Gerry shaking him.
(c) Gerry willing him awake.
(d) Roger chasing a cat.
5. What does Larry say the family needs in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
(a) A better doctor.
(c) More money.
(d) Better literature.
6. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
(b) The Rose-Beetle Man.
7. Who lives at the cottage?
(a) Leslie moves into the cottage.
(b) Lots of insect life for Gerry to explore.
(c) No one, it is for Larry's guests.
(d) A elderly gardener and his wife.
8. What kind of hat does Theodore wear?
(a) A Homburg.
(b) A derby.
(c) A beret.
(d) A cowboy hat.
9. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
(a) Her birth certificate is damaged in a move.
(b) Her mother did not tell her the date she was born.
(c) She can never remember the date of her birth.
(d) She will not tell them her age.
10. Who accompanies Margo and the Turkish boy on their date?
11. What is wrong with the furniture in the villa?
(a) It is Victorian, the wrong style.
(b) It is uncomfortable.
(c) The family does not like the color scheme.
(d) It is twenty years old and falling apart.
12. How does George go about teaching Gerry mathematics?
(a) With rhythmic rhymes.
(b) With flash cards.
(c) By repetition of examples.
(d) Through natural history examples.
13. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
(a) The Turkish boy.
14. How does Gerry describe the Corfu winter?
(a) Cold and wet.
(b) Cold and dry.
(c) Warm and wet.
(d) Warm and dry.
15. While still on the boat, approaching Corfu, what does Gerry hear?
(c) The ships engines.
(d) Church bells.
Short Answer Questions
1. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
2. How many species of cyclops are found on Corfu?
3. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
4. What does Roger do with the pebbles Gerry found in the sand?
5. What kind of people does Mother not like?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)