|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Part II: Chapter 8, Tortoise Hills, what does Theodore say can happen in Corfu?
(b) A wine shortage.
(d) Tropical storms.
2. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
(a) He has to keep up his reputation as Spiro the Great.
(b) He is subsidizing them until their money arrives.
(c) Everything in Greece is overpriced.
(d) He does not want them to get swindled.
3. Who teaches Gerry some of the most beautiful and haunting peasant songs?
(b) The Rose-Beetle Man.
4. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
(a) The magenpies.
(b) His family.
(c) The "dreadful puns."
(d) His spelling.
5. What kind of hat does Theodore wear?
(a) A cowboy hat.
(b) A Homburg.
(c) A derby.
(d) A beret.
6. What is wrong with the furniture in the villa?
(a) It is Victorian, the wrong style.
(b) It is twenty years old and falling apart.
(c) The family does not like the color scheme.
(d) It is uncomfortable.
7. Who lives at the cottage?
(a) Lots of insect life for Gerry to explore.
(b) No one, it is for Larry's guests.
(c) A elderly gardener and his wife.
(d) Leslie moves into the cottage.
8. What does George find helpful in teaching Gerry?
(a) Relating everything to birds.
(b) Never leaving the house for an exploration of nature.
(c) Relating everything to caterpillars.
(d) Placing a sprig of zoology into every subject.
9. What illness does Larry suffer from in the English weather?
10. When Spring came, Larry purchases a guitar and a large barrel of strong red wine. What kind of songs does he play?
(a) Island folk songs.
(b) Island peasant songs.
(c) English melodies.
(d) Elizabethan love songs.
11. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) A guardian angel.
(b) A watchdog.
(c) An ugly angel.
(d) Saint Assisi.
12. After their swim in Chapter 5, where do Gerry and Roger go for a snack?
(a) Spiro's Diner.
(c) Yani's house.
(d) Leonora's house.
13. What does Gerald's secretary, Sophie, eradicate from his book?
(c) Dreadful puns.
(d) Split infinitives.
14. Who accompanies Margo and the Turkish boy on their date?
15. What is interesting about Quasimodo?
(a) She lays an egg.
(b) She marches to music.
(c) She sleeps in the house.
(d) She eats strawberries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
2. Where does the Durrell family stay their first night on Corfu?
3. What about the tortoises does Gerry find very interesting?
4. Where does Theodore suggest they go in the spring to explore ditches?
5. What illness does Margo suffer from in the English weather?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)