|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Larry decide to attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
2. How is the August weather in England described?
(a) A biting wind and cold temperatures.
(b) A stinging drizzle and freezing temperatures.
(c) A biting wind and stinging drizzle.
(d) Sunny skies and gentle breezes.
3. What does Gerry take, for his collection, from one of the tortoises?
(a) One of her eggs.
(b) One of his eggs.
(c) His shell.
(d) A piece of his shell.
4. Who does Gerald dedicate this book to?
(a) The Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
(b) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
(c) His mother.
5. Gerry brings four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and ______ to Corfu.
(a) Two magpies
(b) A microscope
(c) A jam jar full of caterpillars
(d) A pelican
6. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
(d) The Turkish boy.
7. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
(a) Her birth certificate is damaged in a move.
(b) She can never remember the date of her birth.
(c) Her mother did not tell her the date she was born.
(d) She will not tell them her age.
8. What is wrong with the furniture in the villa?
(a) The family does not like the color scheme.
(b) It is twenty years old and falling apart.
(c) It is Victorian, the wrong style.
(d) It is uncomfortable.
9. What does Theodore offer to show Gerry at tea on Thursday?
(a) His collection of scorpion bottles.
(b) A book about trapdoor spiders.
(c) Microscope slides.
(d) His birds.
10. What is the tale of the cypress trees?
(a) You will have a good rest if you sleep under them.
(b) They will give you nightmares.
(c) They will give you pleasant dreams.
(d) They will steal your brains if you sleep under them.
11. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
(b) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
(d) His wife.
12. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
(a) Not one has a balcony.
(b) They are not close enough to the sea.
(c) Not one has a bathroom.
(d) They are infested with crickets.
13. What is the name of the family dog?
14. Aside from being Greek and adoring bargaining, why does Spiro haggle so over prices for the Durrells?
(a) Everything in Greece is overpriced.
(b) He has to keep up his reputation as Spiro the Great.
(c) He does not want them to get swindled.
(d) He is subsidizing them until their money arrives.
15. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) A guardian angel.
(b) An ugly angel.
(c) Saint Assisi.
(d) A watchdog.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
2. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
3. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, in the morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, where is the family eating breakfast?
4. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
5. What illness does Leslie suffer from in the English weather?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)