|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In the bay.
(c) In the olive groves.
(d) In the grape vines.
2. How many years does the Durrell family stay on Corfu?
(a) Five years.
(b) Four and a half years.
(c) Six years.
(d) One year.
3. Why does Yani never sleep in the hills?
(a) Because a scorpion stung a fellow shepherd in the ear and killed him.
(b) Because Aphrodite told him not to.
(c) Because his goats would get away.
(d) Because the cypress trees will steal his brains.
4. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
(a) The common earwig.
(b) The earwig spider.
(c) The trapdoor spider.
(d) The trapdoor earwig.
5. What does spring mean for Leslie?
(c) Building a boat.
(d) Getting rid of Margo's suitors.
6. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
(a) As an eccentric nature-lover.
(b) As an excellent fencer and dancer.
(c) As a conservative doctor of medicine.
(d) As a countryside expert on trapdoor spiders.
7. While still on the boat, approaching Corfu, what does Gerry hear?
(c) The ships engines.
(d) Church bells.
8. What is the name of the family dog?
9. What is the original intent of Gerald Durrell for this book?
(a) Account of the natural history on the island of Corfu.
(b) Account of the birds on the island of Corfu.
(c) Account of his family.
(d) Account of the interesting people on the island of Corfu.
10. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
(a) Move to a bigger villa.
(b) Build a cottage on their property.
(c) Add on a guest room to the villa.
(d) Send Margo, Leslie, and Gerry away for the summer.
11. What is wrong with the furniture in the villa?
(a) It is twenty years old and falling apart.
(b) The family does not like the color scheme.
(c) It is uncomfortable.
(d) It is Victorian, the wrong style.
12. Where is the Durrell family living at the beginning of Part II: Chapter 7?
(a) In the Pension Suisse.
(b) In the Snow-White Villa.
(c) In the Daffodil-Yellow Villa.
(d) In the Strawberry-Pink Villa.
13. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, in the morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, where is the family eating breakfast?
(a) In the kitchen underneath the Tiffany chandelier.
(b) In the garden underneath the small tangerine trees.
(c) In the back yard beside the pools of water lilies.
(d) In the garden beside the fragrant strawberry plants.
14. What brings a smile to Lugaretzia?
(a) Talking about her ailments.
(d) Her children.
15. What does Spiro not like about the man that Margo goes swimming with?
(a) He is a Turk.
(b) He cuts peoples throats.
(c) He does not have a job.
(d) He is a prisoner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larry say his mother is starting to look like in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
2. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
3. What is Mother doing at the onset of Larry's attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
4. Why does Yani tell Gerry the scorpion is drowned in olive oil?
5. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)