|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gerry find at George's home when he goes to ask him about the trapdoor?
(d) Doctor Theodore Stephanides.
2. Where is the Durrell family living at the beginning of Part II: Chapter 7?
(a) In the Strawberry-Pink Villa.
(b) In the Pension Suisse.
(c) In the Snow-White Villa.
(d) In the Daffodil-Yellow Villa.
3. What does Theodore send Gerry to assist him in his field work?
(a) A magnifying glass.
(b) A compass.
(c) A pocket microscope.
(d) A notebook and pen.
4. One day Mother and Gerry buy the Rose-Beetle Man's entire stock of rose-beetles, what do they do with them?
(a) Feed them to the frogs.
(b) Tie them to the lamps in the house.
(c) Tie them to their hats.
(d) Release them into the garden.
5. How does George go about teaching Gerry mathematics?
(a) By repetition of examples.
(b) With rhythmic rhymes.
(c) With flash cards.
(d) Through natural history examples.
6. Who does the family decide will teach Gerry?
7. Instead to taking his goats to Gastouri, what does Yani do?
(a) Eats figs all day.
(b) Goes fishing.
(c) Tastes Taki's red wine.
(d) Tastes Taki's white wine.
8. At the end of Part II: Chapter 8, Tortoise Hills, what does Theodore say can happen in Corfu?
(a) Tropical storms.
(b) A wine shortage.
9. What kind of books are on Mother's bedside table?
(a) Mysteries, cooking, and poetry books.
(b) Cooking, gardening, and mystery books.
(c) Cooking, gardening, and natural history books.
(d) Poetry, natural history, and dieting books.
10. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
11. Who is the most weird and fascinating character Gerry meets on his explorations?
(b) The Rose-Beetle Man.
12. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
(a) Large ones only.
(b) Big ones and little ones.
(c) Teacup sized ones only.
(d) Medium sized ones.
13. What illness does Gerry suffer from in the English weather?
(c) Ear infections.
14. What illness does Larry suffer from in the English weather?
15. Why does Gerry's mother insist he explain she is a widow?
(a) She wants the reader's sympathy.
(b) She wants men to know she is available.
(c) She wants her story told accurately.
(d) She does not want people to think ill of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Leslie suffer from in the English weather?
2. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
3. What wakes Yani up from his siesta in Chapter 5?
4. What does Theodore tell Gerry made the trapdoors?
5. What does Margo's Turkish suitor think he can do superbly?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)