|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gerry and George win points in their game in the bay?
(a) By applying mathematic applications to the sea fauna.
(b) By finding the most sea-slugs.
(c) By discovering the most sea fauna.
(d) By squirting the sea-slug the farthest.
2. Why does Yani tell Gerry the scorpion is drowned in olive oil?
(a) If stung by a scorpion, rub the oil on the spot and there will be hardly any discomfort.
(b) The oil preserves the body.
(c) Scorpion oil cures acne.
(d) It is an old Greek superstition to ward off scorpions from your home.
3. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
(a) Like living in a dream.
(b) Like living with the three stooges.
(c) Like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas.
(d) Like living in the Garden of Eden.
4. When Larry goes to light a cigarette, what flies out of the box?
(a) A fire-fly.
(b) A grashopper.
(c) A mantis.
(d) A bumble-bee.
5. What does Gerry think about Theodore's library?
(a) It does not have enough Sherlock Holmes.
(b) It is full of natural history books.
(c) The Darwin books are dusty.
(d) It is thoroughly well-balanced.
6. What about the tortoises does Gerry find very interesting?
(a) Their mating ritual.
(b) Their leathered skin.
(c) Their food choices.
(d) Their shells.
7. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, in the morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, where is the family eating breakfast?
(a) In the garden underneath the small tangerine trees.
(b) In the back yard beside the pools of water lilies.
(c) In the garden beside the fragrant strawberry plants.
(d) In the kitchen underneath the Tiffany chandelier.
8. Who does Larry blame for his siblings being selfish?
(b) Their father.
9. Larry becomes overweight in the spring. Which of the following is one of Margo's suggested diets?
(a) Brown bread and olives.
(b) Orange juice and salad.
(c) Milk and cooked vegetables.
10. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
(c) The Rose-Beetle Man.
11. Who accompanies Margo and the Turkish boy on their date?
12. What does Theodore send Gerry to assist him in his field work?
(a) A magnifying glass.
(b) A pocket microscope.
(c) A notebook and pen.
(d) A compass.
13. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
(a) In the bay.
(b) In the grape vines.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In the olive groves.
14. Where does Theodore suggest they go in the spring to explore ditches?
(a) The strawberry-pink villa.
(b) The Corfu bay.
(c) Val de Ropa.
(d) His backyard.
15. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
(a) His family.
(b) His spelling.
(c) The magenpies.
(d) The "dreadful puns."
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part II: Chapter 8, Tortoise Hills, what does Theodore say can happen in Corfu?
2. How many years does Spiro spend in America?
3. One day Mother and Gerry buy the Rose-Beetle Man's entire stock of rose-beetles, what do they do with them?
4. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
5. What is Mother doing at the onset of Larry's attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)