|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Spring came, Larry purchases a guitar and a large barrel of strong red wine. What kind of songs does he play?
(a) Island folk songs.
(b) English melodies.
(c) Elizabethan love songs.
(d) Island peasant songs.
2. What illness does Gerry suffer from in the English weather?
(d) Ear infections.
3. Where is the Durrell family living at the beginning of Part II: Chapter 7?
(a) In the Strawberry-Pink Villa.
(b) In the Daffodil-Yellow Villa.
(c) In the Pension Suisse.
(d) In the Snow-White Villa.
4. Who explores the countryside with Gerry?
(c) Widdle and Puke.
(d) No one, he went alone.
5. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
(a) Like living in the Garden of Eden.
(b) Like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas.
(c) Like living in a dream.
(d) Like living with the three stooges.
6. How is Spiro known by the people on the island?
(a) He is respected and feared.
(b) He is known for his long mustache.
(c) He is well-known and feared by all.
(d) He is well-known and respected.
7. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
(b) Bed linens.
(c) Mother's recipe books.
(d) Leslie's gun books.
8. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
(a) The magenpies.
(b) His spelling.
(c) The "dreadful puns."
(d) His family.
9. Who is the most weird and fascinating character Gerry meets on his explorations?
(d) The Rose-Beetle Man.
10. What illness does Larry suffer from in the English weather?
11. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
(a) Add on a guest room to the villa.
(b) Send Margo, Leslie, and Gerry away for the summer.
(c) Build a cottage on their property.
(d) Move to a bigger villa.
12. What does Roger do with the pebbles Gerry found in the sand?
(a) Drops them back into the water.
(b) Buries them in the sand.
(c) Eats them.
(d) Barks at them.
13. What hobby does Margo take up after settling into the villa?
14. How is the August weather in England described?
(a) A biting wind and cold temperatures.
(b) A stinging drizzle and freezing temperatures.
(c) Sunny skies and gentle breezes.
(d) A biting wind and stinging drizzle.
15. Where does Gerry settle into and spend his days at the villa?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In the grape vines.
(c) In the olive groves.
(d) In the bay.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gerry describe the Corfu winter?
2. What brings a smile to Lugaretzia?
3. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
4. What does Larry say the family needs in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
5. One day Mother and Gerry buy the Rose-Beetle Man's entire stock of rose-beetles, what do they do with them?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)