|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Gerry when the family moves to Corfu?
2. Where does the Durrell family stay their first night on Corfu?
(a) Spiro's home.
(b) The strawberry-pink villa.
(c) La Masion.
(d) Pension Suisse.
3. What is Mother doing at the onset of Larry's attack about England's climate and the family's illnesses?
(a) Petting Dodo.
(b) Reading a gardening book.
(c) Reading a cooking book.
(d) Washing dishes.
4. What is Gerry's most exciting discovery?
(b) Crab spiders.
(c) Rose beetles.
(d) An earwig's nest.
5. What is the villa called that Spiro shows the family in Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
(a) Tortoise-green Villa.
(b) Daffodil-yellow Villa.
(c) Strawberry-pink Villa.
(d) Rose-beetle Villa.
6. What does Larry say his mother is starting to look like in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
(a) A plate of scarlet porridge.
(b) A ray of sunshine in the gloomy climate.
(c) An Irish washerwoman.
(d) A widow.
7. What size of tortoise are on the hill?
(a) Teacup sized ones only.
(b) Medium sized ones.
(c) Big ones and little ones.
(d) Large ones only.
8. While still on the boat, approaching Corfu, what does Gerry hear?
(a) Church bells.
(d) The ships engines.
9. Why does Yani tell Gerry the scorpion is drowned in olive oil?
(a) The oil preserves the body.
(b) Scorpion oil cures acne.
(c) It is an old Greek superstition to ward off scorpions from your home.
(d) If stung by a scorpion, rub the oil on the spot and there will be hardly any discomfort.
10. What is the name of Gerry's tortoise?
11. What does Gerry liken Spiro to as he looks over and takes care of the family?
(a) A guardian angel.
(b) Saint Assisi.
(c) A watchdog.
(d) An ugly angel.
12. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
(a) The island of Corfu.
(b) The tortoises.
(c) Gerry, because he names it Tortoise Hill.
(d) Madame Cyclops.
13. What does George find helpful in teaching Gerry?
(a) Placing a sprig of zoology into every subject.
(b) Never leaving the house for an exploration of nature.
(c) Relating everything to caterpillars.
(d) Relating everything to birds.
14. Who does Gerald dedicate this book to?
(a) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
(c) The Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
(d) His mother.
15. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
(a) Her mother did not tell her the date she was born.
(b) She can never remember the date of her birth.
(c) Her birth certificate is damaged in a move.
(d) She will not tell them her age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first item the Rose-Beetle Man sells Gerry?
2. What special day is it when Spiro drives Gerry, Mother, and Margo to town to buy furniture?
3. Larry becomes overweight in the spring. Which of the following is one of Margo's suggested diets?
4. What illness does Gerry suffer from in the English weather?
5. What hobby does Margo take up after settling into the villa?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)