|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Larry goes to light a cigarette, what flies out of the box?
(a) A mantis.
(b) A fire-fly.
(c) A bumble-bee.
(d) A grashopper.
2. How is the August weather in England described?
(a) A stinging drizzle and freezing temperatures.
(b) A biting wind and stinging drizzle.
(c) Sunny skies and gentle breezes.
(d) A biting wind and cold temperatures.
3. At the end of Part II: Chapter 8, Tortoise Hills, what does Theodore say can happen in Corfu?
(b) A wine shortage.
(d) Tropical storms.
4. Where does Spiro live, and learn English, while in America?
5. Why does Spiro take complete control the the Durrell's affairs?
(a) To swindle them.
(b) He loves the English.
(c) He needs the money.
(d) To make sure they are not swindled.
6. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
(a) "Like a weary traveler, no worse for the wear."
(b) "Like a prim and proper English woman, dressed for tea."
(c) "Like a tiny, harassed missionary in an uprising."
(d) "Like a Greek godess, trailing muslin and scent."
7. Why does Gerry's mother insist he explain she is a widow?
(a) She wants the reader's sympathy.
(b) She wants her story told accurately.
(c) She wants men to know she is available.
(d) She does not want people to think ill of her.
8. What does Roger do with the pebbles Gerry found in the sand?
(a) Drops them back into the water.
(b) Buries them in the sand.
(c) Eats them.
(d) Barks at them.
9. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
(a) Spiro picked them up in his Suburban.
(b) Two horse-drawn cabs.
(c) One stretch limo.
(d) Two taxi cabs.
10. After their swim in Chapter 5, where do Gerry and Roger go for a snack?
(a) Yani's house.
(c) Leonora's house.
(d) Spiro's Diner.
11. Who is the most weird and fascinating character Gerry meets on his explorations?
(d) The Rose-Beetle Man.
12. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 4, what does Gerry's Mother decide for him?
(a) It is time for him to have some sort of education.
(b) It is time for him to study literature.
(c) It is time for him to take dancing lessons.
(d) It is time for him to join the Merchant Navy.
13. Gerry brings four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and ______ to Corfu.
(a) Two magpies
(b) A microscope
(c) A jam jar full of caterpillars
(d) A pelican
14. What kind of books are on Mother's bedside table?
(a) Mysteries, cooking, and poetry books.
(b) Cooking, gardening, and mystery books.
(c) Cooking, gardening, and natural history books.
(d) Poetry, natural history, and dieting books.
15. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
(a) One of the pelicans.
(b) The scarlet ibis.
(c) One of the monkeys.
(d) The vulture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tale of the cypress trees?
2. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
3. Who does Larry blame for his siblings being selfish?
4. How is Spiro known by the people on the island?
5. What do Gerry and George use as water-pistols in the bay?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)