|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Larry say his mother is starting to look like in Part I: Prologue, The Migration?
(a) A plate of scarlet porridge.
(b) A ray of sunshine in the gloomy climate.
(c) A widow.
(d) An Irish washerwoman.
2. What is the name of the family dog?
3. How many species of cyclops are found on Corfu?
4. Who is the most weird and fascinating character Gerry meets on his explorations?
(c) The Rose-Beetle Man.
5. What illness does Gerry suffer from in the English weather?
(b) Ear infections.
6. What is the tale of the cypress trees?
(a) They will give you pleasant dreams.
(b) You will have a good rest if you sleep under them.
(c) They will give you nightmares.
(d) They will steal your brains if you sleep under them.
7. Who lives at the cottage?
(a) No one, it is for Larry's guests.
(b) Leslie moves into the cottage.
(c) A elderly gardener and his wife.
(d) Lots of insect life for Gerry to explore.
8. What does Theodore offer to show Gerry at tea on Thursday?
(a) A book about trapdoor spiders.
(b) His birds.
(c) His collection of scorpion bottles.
(d) Microscope slides.
9. Why does Margo kiss the saint's feet?
(a) For good luck.
(b) To get a boyfriend.
(c) To lose weight.
(d) To cure her acne.
10. In the beginning of Part I: Chapter 3, in the morning at the Strawberry-Pink Villa, where is the family eating breakfast?
(a) In the kitchen underneath the Tiffany chandelier.
(b) In the back yard beside the pools of water lilies.
(c) In the garden beside the fragrant strawberry plants.
(d) In the garden underneath the small tangerine trees.
11. Where does the Durrell family stay their first night on Corfu?
(a) La Masion.
(b) The strawberry-pink villa.
(c) Spiro's home.
(d) Pension Suisse.
12. What illness does Margo suffer from in the English weather?
13. What does Gerald say living on Corfu is like?
(a) Like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas.
(b) Like living in a dream.
(c) Like living in the Garden of Eden.
(d) Like living with the three stooges.
14. According to Gerry, to whom or what does Tortoise Hill belong?
(a) The island of Corfu.
(b) The tortoises.
(c) Gerry, because he names it Tortoise Hill.
(d) Madame Cyclops.
15. What is Larry's suggestion when Mother tells him they cannot fit the number of guests he has invited in their house?
(a) Add on a guest room to the villa.
(b) Build a cottage on their property.
(c) Send Margo, Leslie, and Gerry away for the summer.
(d) Move to a bigger villa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mother suggest Larry's friends stay?
2. What does George do while waiting for Gerry to solve a math problem?
3. What does Margo's Turkish suitor think he can do superbly?
4. Why does Gerry's mother insist he explain she is a widow?
5. Gerry brings four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and ______ to Corfu.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)