|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness does Leslie suffer from in the English weather?
(b) Bleeding ears.
(c) Whooping cough.
2. What insects does Gerry find that can change colors, like chameleons?
(b) Crab spiders.
(d) Rose beetles.
3. Why does Margo kiss the saint's feet?
(a) To lose weight.
(b) To cure her acne.
(c) To get a boyfriend.
(d) For good luck.
4. What does George teach Gerry about natural history?
(a) How to apply mathematics to natural history.
(b) How to not frighten the big tortoise.
(c) The mating cycle of the earwig.
(d) How to observe and write notes in a diary.
5. Where is the Island of Corfu located?
(c) Val de Ropa.
6. What illness does Gerry suffer from in the English weather?
(d) Ear infections.
7. What does Roger do during Gerry's lessons?
(a) Chases butterflies.
(b) Dances in the drawing room.
(c) Sleeps under the table.
(d) Roams the countryside.
8. Gerry brings four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and ______ to Corfu.
(a) A pelican
(b) A microscope
(c) A jam jar full of caterpillars
(d) Two magpies
9. Gerald's mother receives a shipment of two pelicans, a scarlet ibis, a vulture, and eight monkeys. Which one gives her trouble?
(a) The vulture.
(b) One of the monkeys.
(c) One of the pelicans.
(d) The scarlet ibis.
10. What disturbs Larry's writing on the second morning in the villa?
(a) Lawnmowers cutting grass.
(b) Bees buzzing.
(c) Gerry's magenpies.
(d) A donkey braying.
11. What about the tortoises does Gerry find very interesting?
(a) Their mating ritual.
(b) Their food choices.
(c) Their leathered skin.
(d) Their shells.
12. Who is the goat shepherd who tells Gerry the tale of the cypress tree?
(d) The Rose-Beetle Man.
13. What does George find helpful in teaching Gerry?
(a) Placing a sprig of zoology into every subject.
(b) Relating everything to birds.
(c) Relating everything to caterpillars.
(d) Never leaving the house for an exploration of nature.
14. What does Spiro not like about the man that Margo goes swimming with?
(a) He does not have a job.
(b) He is a Turk.
(c) He is a prisoner.
(d) He cuts peoples throats.
15. Instead to taking his goats to Gastouri, what does Yani do?
(a) Tastes Taki's red wine.
(b) Eats figs all day.
(c) Tastes Taki's white wine.
(d) Goes fishing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Durrell family living at the beginning of Part II: Chapter 7?
2. What is the name of Gerry's tortoise?
3. Who rescues the Durrells from the Greek cab drivers?
4. What special day is it when Spiro drives Gerry, Mother, and Margo to town to buy furniture?
5. What is Gerry's most exciting discovery?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)