|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes turtledove hunting with Leslie?
(c) The Turkish boy.
2. How does George introduce Theodore to Gerry?
(a) As an excellent fencer and dancer.
(b) As a countryside expert on trapdoor spiders.
(c) As a conservative doctor of medicine.
(d) As an eccentric nature-lover.
3. What are in the two cases the customs officials are holding of the Durrells?
(a) Leslie's gun books.
(c) Bed linens.
(d) Mother's recipe books.
4. Who explores the countryside with Gerry?
(a) No one, he went alone.
(c) Widdle and Puke.
5. Why can Gerry hear the Rose-Beetle Man before he sees him?
(a) The Rose-Beetle Man is singing.
(b) He plays a sheperd's pipe.
(c) He can hear his car in the distance.
(d) The rose-beetles are singing.
6. What makes Gerald's wife laugh when reading his manuscript?
(a) The "dreadful puns."
(b) The magenpies.
(c) His family.
(d) His spelling.
7. What is wrong with every villa Mr. Beeler shows the Durrells?
(a) They are infested with crickets.
(b) They are not close enough to the sea.
(c) Not one has a balcony.
(d) Not one has a bathroom.
8. Who supplies Gerald with several "dreadful puns" in the book?
(a) Dr. Theodore Stephanides.
(d) His wife.
9. Who lives at the cottage?
(a) Leslie moves into the cottage.
(b) No one, it is for Larry's guests.
(c) A elderly gardener and his wife.
(d) Lots of insect life for Gerry to explore.
10. What is wrong with the furniture in the villa?
(a) It is twenty years old and falling apart.
(b) It is Victorian, the wrong style.
(c) The family does not like the color scheme.
(d) It is uncomfortable.
11. How do Gerry and George win points in their game in the bay?
(a) By squirting the sea-slug the farthest.
(b) By applying mathematic applications to the sea fauna.
(c) By finding the most sea-slugs.
(d) By discovering the most sea fauna.
12. What insects does Gerry find that can change colors, like chameleons?
(a) Crab spiders.
(d) Rose beetles.
13. Who suggests to Larry that Corfu is wonderful?
(a) His friend George.
14. When Spring came, Larry purchases a guitar and a large barrel of strong red wine. What kind of songs does he play?
(a) Island peasant songs.
(b) English melodies.
(c) Elizabethan love songs.
(d) Island folk songs.
15. What do Gerry and George use as water-pistols in the bay?
(c) Sea slugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Durrell children not know the age of their mother?
2. What kind of transportation do the Durrell's use to get to town?
3. Who names Gerry's pigeon?
4. How does Gerry describe his mother at the beginning of Part I: Chapter 1, The Unsuspected Isle?
5. Where is the Durrell family living at the beginning of Part II: Chapter 7?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)