|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Liz and Maggie wear out in Chapter 14?
2. Who berates Liz in Chapter 9?
3. How does Maggie feel about Liz's pregnancy?
4. Which of the following words best describes Sean's father?
5. Describe the car ride back from the abortion clinic.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
2. Why do the girls wear their prom gowns to the clinic?
3. Why do Sean and Liz want to get married?
4. How does Liz feel about getting married?
5. Why does Liz decide to have an abortion?
6. Why does Liz decide that she is in no hurry to get home in Chapter 9?
7. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
8. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
9. Why does Maggie decide not to go to the prom with Dennis?
10. Describe Sean's essay in Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are blind loyalty demonstrated in the story? Which characters are loyal? What consequences will be faced by the fiercely loyal characters and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does foreshadowing play in the story? Consider the theme of suicide in Chapter 3 and the astrological readings that Liz fears. What do these events foreshadow? How does the reader know that these are elements of foreshadowing? How does foreshadowing build tension?
Essay Topic 3
What are the important elements of the graduation scene? What symbolism is represented in the graduation scene? Why is this an important part of the story?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)