|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is evidence that Liz's plan has gotten out of hand?
2. What does Liz's mother compliment about her in Chapter 11?
3. What has happened to the letter Liz wrote to Sean?
4. Who does Liz hope to catch sight of at the dance?
5. How much time does it take for the car to get to the doctor's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Liz reacts to Sean's rejection of marriage. Why does she behave this way?
2. What is ironic in Chapter 9?
3. Why does Maggie decide not to go to the prom with Dennis?
4. Why does Liz tell Maggie to let her die?
5. How does Liz feel about getting married?
6. In what ways is Maggie a good friend? How is she a bad friend?
7. Why does Sean assume that his father intercepted Liz's letter to him?
8. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
9. Why does Liz decide to have an abortion?
10. Why does Maggie go to the clinic with Rod and Liz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the chapters in the story end with a note from one character to another. What is the author's purpose in including these notes? Is it an effective storytelling technique? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
How does Maggie's life change from the beginning of the story to end? How much confidence has she gained? What has she lost over the course of the story? How does this change her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the way that relationships deteriorate in the story. What is the cause of deterioration? What elements cause this to happen? Do you think the story could have been different if factors were changed? Why or why not?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)