|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sean claim must have intercepted Liz's letter to him?
2. What does Maggie worry that Dennis will do?
3. When does Liz plan to get married?
4. What physical symptom does Dennis feel in Chapter 11?
5. What does Sean tell Liz in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Maggie a good friend? How is she a bad friend?
2. Why does Maggie go to the clinic with Rod and Liz?
3. Describe the way Liz behaves toward Sean in Chapter 11.
4. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
5. How does Liz feel about getting married?
6. Why do the girls wear their prom gowns to the clinic?
7. Why does Sean assume that his father intercepted Liz's letter to him?
8. Why does Liz tell Maggie to let her die?
9. Why do Sean and Liz want to get married?
10. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some elements of irony present in the story? How are Liz's parents examples of irony? What purpose does irony serve in this particular story?
Essay Topic 2
What role does peer pressure play in the novel? what message about peer pressure does the author wish to send? How do the characters cope with peer pressure? Do you think the author meant for the characters to serve as a model for peer pressure and the ideal way for teens to deal with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Maggie's life change from the beginning of the story to end? How much confidence has she gained? What has she lost over the course of the story? How does this change her?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)