|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What embarrasses Maggie in Chapter 10?
2. Which of the following does Sean say he does not understand about Liz?
3. Who does Sean claim must have intercepted Liz's letter to him?
4. What is the weather like after the dance?
5. What does Liz plan to do after she moves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
2. Why do the girls wear their prom gowns to the clinic?
3. What is ironic in Chapter 9?
4. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
5. Describe the way Liz reacts to Sean's rejection of marriage. Why does she behave this way?
6. Why do Sean and Liz want to get married?
7. Why does Liz tell Maggie to let her die?
8. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
9. Why does Sean decide to talk to his father? What are the results?
10. Why does Sean assume that his father intercepted Liz's letter to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is realism important in the story? How does realism give the reader a way to connect with the writing? What is the downfall to a story that does not contain realism? How do these questions apply to this specific story?
Essay Topic 2
What role does foreshadowing play in the story? Consider the theme of suicide in Chapter 3 and the astrological readings that Liz fears. What do these events foreshadow? How does the reader know that these are elements of foreshadowing? How does foreshadowing build tension?
Essay Topic 3
What are the important elements of the graduation scene? What symbolism is represented in the graduation scene? Why is this an important part of the story?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)