|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following frustrates Sean in Chapter 9?
2. What does Maggie think of Dennis's clothes for the dance?
3. What does Liz scream when Maggie tries to help her in Chapter 14?
4. What does Sean give Liz in Chapter 13?
5. According to Maggie, which of the following people are impressed with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic in Chapter 9?
2. Describe the tone of the note at the end of Chapter 12 from Liz to Maggie. In what tone might the reader find the note?
3. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
4. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
5. How does Rod behave toward Liz in Chapter 8?
6. How does Liz feel about getting married?
7. Describe the way Liz behaves toward Sean in Chapter 11.
8. What does Maggie need from Liz?
9. Why do you think Maggie and Liz have planned an urgent meeting?
10. Why does Liz decide to have an abortion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three literary devices used in the story, citing specific references. Some literary devices to explore include: symbolism, irony, allegory, conflict, figurative language, and mood.
Essay Topic 2
What role does peer pressure play in the novel? what message about peer pressure does the author wish to send? How do the characters cope with peer pressure? Do you think the author meant for the characters to serve as a model for peer pressure and the ideal way for teens to deal with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)