|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liz plan to do after she moves?
2. Which of the following words best describes Sean's behavior in Chapter 13?
3. What is evidence that Liz's plan has gotten out of hand?
4. What is it that Maggie can no longer buy in Chapter 11?
5. Who does Maggie break off a prom date with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Liz reacts to Sean's rejection of marriage. Why does she behave this way?
2. What insecurities does Dennie have? Why?
3. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
4. Why do you think Maggie and Liz have planned an urgent meeting?
5. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
6. Why does Liz decide to have an abortion?
7. Why do Sean and Liz want to get married?
8. Why does Maggie decide not to go to the prom with Dennis?
9. Describe the way Liz behaves toward Sean in Chapter 11.
10. Why do the girls wear their prom gowns to the clinic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What transitions are present in the story? Why are transitions necessary? How can the reader tell that a transition is in place?
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the third person omniscient point of view important in the story? What elements of a third person omniscient point of view make the story connect with the reader? How would the story change if the book were not written in this point of view?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)