|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Sean's car in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 10, what does Liz plan to do about her pregnancy?
3. Who are the notes in Chapter 10 written by?
4. How long does it take for Liz to get her abortion?
5. Which of the following does Maggie want to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liz decide to have an abortion?
2. How does Sean show his feelings for Liz in Chapter 8?
3. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
4. Why does Sean decide that he does not want to marry Liz?
5. What insecurities does Dennie have? Why?
6. How does Liz feel about getting married?
7. What is ironic in Chapter 9?
8. What does Maggie need from Liz?
9. How does Rod behave toward Liz in Chapter 8?
10. Why does Liz decide that she is in no hurry to get home in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the chapters in the story end with a note from one character to another. What is the author's purpose in including these notes? Is it an effective storytelling technique? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three literary devices used in the story, citing specific references. Some literary devices to explore include: symbolism, irony, allegory, conflict, figurative language, and mood.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)