|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie ask Liz to do in Chapter 10?
2. Who are the notes in Chapter 10 written to?
3. What emotion does Dennis feel when he finds out he is not going to prom?
4. According to Maggie, which of the following people are impressed with her?
5. Which of the following is the title of Sean's essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tone of the note at the end of Chapter 12 from Liz to Maggie. In what tone might the reader find the note?
2. Describe Sean's essay in Chapter 14.
3. Why does Maggie go to the clinic with Rod and Liz?
4. How does Liz feel about getting married?
5. Describe the way Liz behaves toward Sean in Chapter 11.
6. How is Pierre introduced in Chapter 10 and what is the purpose of this?
7. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
8. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
9. What does Maggie need from Liz?
10. Why do Sean and Liz want to get married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two major relationships in the story: Maggie and Dennis, then Liz and Sean. How and why are the relationships so different? How does each relationship cause conflict? How do characters behave, grow, and develop as a result of the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What social commentary does the author include in the story? What message about society and today's culture might the author be trying to send?
Essay Topic 3
What are some elements of irony present in the story? How are Liz's parents examples of irony? What purpose does irony serve in this particular story?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)