|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liz plan to do after she moves?
2. What happens to Sean's car in Chapter 9?
3. Who does Sean claim must have intercepted Liz's letter to him?
4. What does Liz attack Rod with?
5. What emotion does Dennis feel when he finds out he is not going to prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liz decide that she is in no hurry to get home in Chapter 9?
2. What is ironic in Chapter 9?
3. Describe the way Liz behaves toward Sean in Chapter 11.
4. Why does Liz tell Maggie to let her die?
5. How is Pierre introduced in Chapter 10 and what is the purpose of this?
6. In what ways is Maggie a good friend? How is she a bad friend?
7. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
8. What insecurities does Dennie have? Why?
9. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
10. Why does Maggie go to the clinic with Rod and Liz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is symbolic about the Madonna statue that Liz's mother gives to Liz? What other symbols are represented in the story? How does the reader know that symbolism is being used in the context of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the motivations of each character? Describe how each of the four main characters are driven by their motivation.
Essay Topic 3
What role does peer pressure play in the novel? what message about peer pressure does the author wish to send? How do the characters cope with peer pressure? Do you think the author meant for the characters to serve as a model for peer pressure and the ideal way for teens to deal with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)