|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Liz hope to catch sight of at the dance?
2. What does Liz scream when Maggie tries to help her in Chapter 14?
3. Who wants to marry Liz?
4. Which of the following does Sean say he does not understand about Liz?
5. Who is absent from school in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
2. Describe the way Liz reacts to Sean's rejection of marriage. Why does she behave this way?
3. Why does Sean decide to talk to his father? What are the results?
4. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
5. What does Maggie need from Liz?
6. Why do the girls wear their prom gowns to the clinic?
7. Why does Liz decide that she is in no hurry to get home in Chapter 9?
8. In what ways is Maggie a good friend? How is she a bad friend?
9. Why does Maggie go to the clinic with Rod and Liz?
10. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the important elements of the graduation scene? What symbolism is represented in the graduation scene? Why is this an important part of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two major relationships in the story: Maggie and Dennis, then Liz and Sean. How and why are the relationships so different? How does each relationship cause conflict? How do characters behave, grow, and develop as a result of the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three literary devices used in the story, citing specific references. Some literary devices to explore include: symbolism, irony, allegory, conflict, figurative language, and mood.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)