|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following frustrates Sean in Chapter 9?
2. Who is the only other person who knows that Liz is pregnant in Chapter 10?
3. What does Maggie think of Dennis's clothes for the dance?
4. Which of the following literary devices are included in Chapter 9?
5. Where do Liz and Rod retreat during the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
2. Why does Sean decide that he does not want to marry Liz?
3. Why does Sean assume that his father intercepted Liz's letter to him?
4. Why does Liz decide that she is in no hurry to get home in Chapter 9?
5. Why do Sean and Liz want to get married?
6. Why does Sean decide to talk to his father? What are the results?
7. Why does Maggie decide not to go to the prom with Dennis?
8. Why does Maggie go to the clinic with Rod and Liz?
9. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
10. Describe the tone of the note at the end of Chapter 12 from Liz to Maggie. In what tone might the reader find the note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the way that relationships deteriorate in the story. What is the cause of deterioration? What elements cause this to happen? Do you think the story could have been different if factors were changed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the chapters in the story end with a note from one character to another. What is the author's purpose in including these notes? Is it an effective storytelling technique? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are blind loyalty demonstrated in the story? Which characters are loyal? What consequences will be faced by the fiercely loyal characters and why?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)