|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many drinks does Sean's father have before Sean asks him a question in Chapter 12?
2. Who are the notes in Chapter 10 written to?
3. Who does Liz call from a pay phone in Chapter 9?
4. Who does Sean claim must have intercepted Liz's letter to him?
5. How much money does Liz ask Sean for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sean show his feelings for Liz in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Liz tell Maggie to let her die?
3. Why does Liz decide to have an abortion?
4. What is ironic in Chapter 9?
5. How does Liz feel about getting married?
6. Why do Sean and Liz want to get married?
7. What insecurities does Dennie have? Why?
8. Why does Sean assume that his father intercepted Liz's letter to him?
9. Why does Maggie go to the clinic with Rod and Liz?
10. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three literary devices used in the story, citing specific references. Some literary devices to explore include: symbolism, irony, allegory, conflict, figurative language, and mood.
Essay Topic 2
What role does foreshadowing play in the story? Consider the theme of suicide in Chapter 3 and the astrological readings that Liz fears. What do these events foreshadow? How does the reader know that these are elements of foreshadowing? How does foreshadowing build tension?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the way that relationships deteriorate in the story. What is the cause of deterioration? What elements cause this to happen? Do you think the story could have been different if factors were changed? Why or why not?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)