|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following frustrates Sean in Chapter 9?
2. What is it that Maggie can no longer buy in Chapter 11?
3. What emotion does Dennis feel when he finds out he is not going to prom?
4. Who wants to marry Liz?
5. What has happened to the letter Liz wrote to Sean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
2. How does Liz feel about getting married?
3. How does Sean show his feelings for Liz in Chapter 8?
4. What insecurities does Dennie have? Why?
5. Why does Sean assume that his father intercepted Liz's letter to him?
6. Why does Maggie decide not to go to the prom with Dennis?
7. What is ironic in Chapter 9?
8. Why does Sean decide that he does not want to marry Liz?
9. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
10. Why does Liz decide to have an abortion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are blind loyalty demonstrated in the story? Which characters are loyal? What consequences will be faced by the fiercely loyal characters and why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the motivations of each character? Describe how each of the four main characters are driven by their motivation.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three literary devices used in the story, citing specific references. Some literary devices to explore include: symbolism, irony, allegory, conflict, figurative language, and mood.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)