|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Maggie given to Liz to help her?
2. How many drinks does Sean's father have before Sean asks him a question in Chapter 12?
3. What is the weather like after the dance?
4. What does Liz attack Rod with?
5. What does Liz's mother compliment about her in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sean decide that he does not want to marry Liz?
2. How is Pierre introduced in Chapter 10 and what is the purpose of this?
3. What insecurities does Dennie have? Why?
4. How does Maggie show that she cares for Liz in Chapter 8?
5. What does Maggie need from Liz?
6. How does Liz feel about getting married?
7. How does Rod behave toward Liz in Chapter 8?
8. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
9. Describe the way Liz reacts to Sean's rejection of marriage. Why does she behave this way?
10. Why do the girls wear their prom gowns to the clinic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two major relationships in the story: Maggie and Dennis, then Liz and Sean. How and why are the relationships so different? How does each relationship cause conflict? How do characters behave, grow, and develop as a result of the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the protagonist and antagonist in the story. How does the antagonist create conflict? How does the protagonist attempt to solve conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the way that relationships deteriorate in the story. What is the cause of deterioration? What elements cause this to happen? Do you think the story could have been different if factors were changed? Why or why not?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)