|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Liz hope to catch sight of at the dance?
2. Where do Sean and Liz go in Chapter 11?
3. How much money does Liz ask Sean for?
4. Who does the writer of the first note in Chapter 10 ask about?
5. Who does Sean claim must have intercepted Liz's letter to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie decide not to go to the prom with Dennis?
2. Why does Sean decide to talk to his father? What are the results?
3. How is Pierre introduced in Chapter 10 and what is the purpose of this?
4. Why does Sean assume that his father intercepted Liz's letter to him?
5. Why does Liz tell Maggie to let her die?
6. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
7. How does Liz feel about getting married?
8. Describe the way Liz behaves toward Sean in Chapter 11.
9. Why does Sean decide that he does not want to marry Liz?
10. Describe the way Liz reacts to Sean's rejection of marriage. Why does she behave this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Maggie's life change from the beginning of the story to end? How much confidence has she gained? What has she lost over the course of the story? How does this change her?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two major relationships in the story: Maggie and Dennis, then Liz and Sean. How and why are the relationships so different? How does each relationship cause conflict? How do characters behave, grow, and develop as a result of the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What are some elements of irony present in the story? How are Liz's parents examples of irony? What purpose does irony serve in this particular story?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)