|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like after the dance?
2. Which of the following words best describes Sean's behavior in Chapter 13?
3. What is it that Maggie can no longer buy in Chapter 11?
4. Who does the writer of the first note in Chapter 10 ask about?
5. Who berates Liz in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie decide not to go to the prom with Dennis?
2. Why does Liz decide to have an abortion?
3. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
4. Why do the girls wear their prom gowns to the clinic?
5. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
6. Describe the way Liz behaves toward Sean in Chapter 11.
7. Describe Sean's essay in Chapter 14.
8. Why do you think Maggie and Liz have planned an urgent meeting?
9. How does Maggie show that she cares for Liz in Chapter 8?
10. Why does Sean decide to talk to his father? What are the results?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the main conflict in My Darling, My Hamburger? Identify the sub-plots in the story. How do the sub-plots contribute to the underlying themes and the overall conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What is symbolic about the Madonna statue that Liz's mother gives to Liz? What other symbols are represented in the story? How does the reader know that symbolism is being used in the context of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the chapters in the story end with a note from one character to another. What is the author's purpose in including these notes? Is it an effective storytelling technique? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)