|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is hidden in Rod's jacket?
2. Describe Liz's condition when she arrives back at home in Chapter 14.
3. Which of the following frustrates Sean in Chapter 9?
4. What does Sean tell Liz in Chapter 13?
5. Who is the note from in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Liz reacts to Sean's rejection of marriage. Why does she behave this way?
2. How is Liz an ill-fated character?
3. Why does Sean decide that he does not want to marry Liz?
4. How is Pierre introduced in Chapter 10 and what is the purpose of this?
5. What is ironic in Chapter 9?
6. How does Liz feel about getting married?
7. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
8. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
9. How does Maggie show that she cares for Liz in Chapter 8?
10. Why do you think Maggie and Liz have planned an urgent meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Maggie's life change from the beginning of the story to end? How much confidence has she gained? What has she lost over the course of the story? How does this change her?
Essay Topic 2
What role does peer pressure play in the novel? what message about peer pressure does the author wish to send? How do the characters cope with peer pressure? Do you think the author meant for the characters to serve as a model for peer pressure and the ideal way for teens to deal with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the chapters in the story end with a note from one character to another. What is the author's purpose in including these notes? Is it an effective storytelling technique? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)