|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Liz's mother?
2. What does Liz compare Maggie's hair to?
3. What is the name of the film Maggie sees in Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of Maggie's biology teacher?
5. Which of the following literary devices is used in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maggie's mother say about physical attractiveness?
2. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
3. How does Sean show his feelings for Liz in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
5. Why does Liz claim that her dates with Sean are no longer fun?
6. How is diction used in Chapter 1 to enhance the reading experience?
7. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
8. Describe the tone of the note at the end of Chapter 12 from Liz to Maggie. In what tone might the reader find the note?
9. How is Pierre introduced in Chapter 10 and what is the purpose of this?
10. What does Liz need from Maggie. Can Maggie provide this for her?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the way that relationships deteriorate in the story. What is the cause of deterioration? What elements cause this to happen? Do you think the story could have been different if factors were changed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the motivations of each character? Describe how each of the four main characters are driven by their motivation.
Essay Topic 3
What are some elements of irony present in the story? How are Liz's parents examples of irony? What purpose does irony serve in this particular story?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)