|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dennis at Maggie's house in Chapter 2?
2. What are the names of the two boys in the car in Chapter 5?
3. What is Dennis's last name?
4. Where does Liz convince Maggie to go?
5. What does Sean want the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the third person omniscient point of view helpful in the first chapter?
2. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
3. Why does Liz berate Maggie?
4. How does Liz try to improve her relationship with her parents?
5. What does Maggie feel insecure about in Chapter 2?
6. Why is Liz uncomfortable around her stepfather? How is it shown that this affects her?
7. What does Dennis think about Maggie while they are on their first date?
8. Describe Maggie's loyalty to Liz.
9. How is it shown that Liz feels the need to be validated?
10. Why does Liz decide against having sex with Sean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is symbolic about the Madonna statue that Liz's mother gives to Liz? What other symbols are represented in the story? How does the reader know that symbolism is being used in the context of the story?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are blind loyalty demonstrated in the story? Which characters are loyal? What consequences will be faced by the fiercely loyal characters and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role does foreshadowing play in the story? Consider the theme of suicide in Chapter 3 and the astrological readings that Liz fears. What do these events foreshadow? How does the reader know that these are elements of foreshadowing? How does foreshadowing build tension?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)