|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sean's father?
2. What is the name of Liz's boyfriend in Chapter 1?
3. Which of the following is a subject that Sean often contemplates?
4. What does Dennis try to figure out in Chapter 4?
5. What car do the two boys pull up in in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liz decide against having sex with Sean?
2. Describe Liz's tough exterior versus her softer interior.
3. What is the main conflict in Chapter 5?
4. What is significant about Liz's astrological reading?
5. How does Liz try to improve her relationship with her parents?
6. Why does Liz end up going to the dance with Rod?
7. What elements of foreshadowing are included in the letter that Liz writes to Sean in Chapter 6?
8. Why does Liz berate Maggie?
9. Why does Liz claim that her dates with Sean are no longer fun?
10. How is the Madonna statue being moved a symbol? What does it symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the way that relationships deteriorate in the story. What is the cause of deterioration? What elements cause this to happen? Do you think the story could have been different if factors were changed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the third person omniscient point of view important in the story? What elements of a third person omniscient point of view make the story connect with the reader? How would the story change if the book were not written in this point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What social commentary does the author include in the story? What message about society and today's culture might the author be trying to send?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)