|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Liz say she does not want to end up like in Chapter 6?
2. What does Dennis decide not to do in Chapter 2 so that he does not have to kiss his date?
3. What has Liz been warned of?
4. Which of the following is introduced in Chapter 5?
5. What does Maggie fear in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Liz uncomfortable around her stepfather? How is it shown that this affects her?
2. How is diction used in Chapter 1 to enhance the reading experience?
3. Why does Liz end up going to the dance with Rod?
4. Why does Liz decide against having sex with Sean?
5. Describe the high school setting in Chapter 1.
6. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
7. What are the contents of the memo at the end of Chapter 3?
8. Why does Liz claim that her dates with Sean are no longer fun?
9. What mean things does Liz say to Maggie and how do they make her feel?
10. What foreshadowing is present in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is symbolic about the Madonna statue that Liz's mother gives to Liz? What other symbols are represented in the story? How does the reader know that symbolism is being used in the context of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why is realism important in the story? How does realism give the reader a way to connect with the writing? What is the downfall to a story that does not contain realism? How do these questions apply to this specific story?
Essay Topic 3
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)