|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liz say the boys in the car would "beat their mother" for?
2. How would Dennis describe Sean's home?
3. Who does Liz's mother disapprove of?
4. On their date, where do Maggie and Dennis sit in Chapter 3?
5. What does Sean believe is his only thing to live for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dennis think about Maggie while they are on their first date?
2. What does Maggie feel insecure about in Chapter 2?
3. What does Maggie's mother say about physical attractiveness?
4. How is diction used in Chapter 1 to enhance the reading experience?
5. Describe the high school setting in Chapter 1.
6. What foreshadowing is present in Chapter 3?
7. What is the main conflict in Chapter 5?
8. At what point is the transition between the characters' thoughts most intense? Why?
9. On her date with Dennis in Chapter 3, what does Maggie hope?
10. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the motivations of each character? Describe how each of the four main characters are driven by their motivation.
Essay Topic 2
What role does foreshadowing play in the story? Consider the theme of suicide in Chapter 3 and the astrological readings that Liz fears. What do these events foreshadow? How does the reader know that these are elements of foreshadowing? How does foreshadowing build tension?
Essay Topic 3
What does each character gain in the story? What does each character lose? What are the results and reasons for these gains and losses?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)