|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liz feel that Sea is giving her?
2. What did Sean and Liz do on a first date?
3. On their date, where do Maggie and Dennis sit in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Liz say that a girl has been attacked?
5. Who does Liz's mother disapprove of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Liz's tough exterior versus her softer interior.
2. What is the main conflict in Chapter 5?
3. How is it shown that Liz feels the need to be validated?
4. Compare and contrast Dennis and Sean.
5. What is Sean's main problem in Chapter 5?
6. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
7. What does Dennis think about Maggie while they are on their first date?
8. What is significant about Liz's astrological reading?
9. How is the Madonna statue being moved a symbol? What does it symbolize?
10. What does Maggie feel insecure about in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Maggie's life change from the beginning of the story to end? How much confidence has she gained? What has she lost over the course of the story? How does this change her?
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the way that relationships deteriorate in the story. What is the cause of deterioration? What elements cause this to happen? Do you think the story could have been different if factors were changed? Why or why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)