|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the school assembly about that Maggie attends in Chapter 1?
2. What are the names of the two boys in the car in Chapter 5?
3. What is the name of Maggie's class advisor?
4. What does Liz say the boys in the car would "beat their mother" for?
5. What is the first topic that Maggie is concerned with at the assembly?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what point is the transition between the characters' thoughts most intense? Why?
2. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
3. What is significant about Liz's astrological reading?
4. What is Sean's main problem in Chapter 5?
5. Compare and contrast Dennis and Sean.
6. What does Dennis think about Maggie while they are on their first date?
7. Describe the high school setting in Chapter 1.
8. How does Liz try to improve her relationship with her parents?
9. What are the contents of the memo at the end of Chapter 3?
10. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some elements of irony present in the story? How are Liz's parents examples of irony? What purpose does irony serve in this particular story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the important elements of the graduation scene? What symbolism is represented in the graduation scene? Why is this an important part of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the protagonist and antagonist in the story. How does the antagonist create conflict? How does the protagonist attempt to solve conflict?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)