|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sean's father?
2. What is Liz getting ready for in Chapter 7?
3. What color dress does Liz wear in Chapter 7?
4. Who is the note at the end of Chapter 4 written to?
5. Who does Liz's mother disapprove of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mean things does Liz say to Maggie and how do they make her feel?
2. How is diction used in Chapter 1 to enhance the reading experience?
3. On her date with Dennis in Chapter 3, what does Maggie hope?
4. At what point is the transition between the characters' thoughts most intense? Why?
5. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
6. Compare and contrast Dennis and Sean.
7. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
8. How is it shown that Liz feels the need to be validated?
9. Describe Liz's tough exterior versus her softer interior.
10. What are the contents of the memo at the end of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the protagonist and antagonist in the story. How does the antagonist create conflict? How does the protagonist attempt to solve conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What are the important elements of the graduation scene? What symbolism is represented in the graduation scene? Why is this an important part of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Maggie's life change from the beginning of the story to end? How much confidence has she gained? What has she lost over the course of the story? How does this change her?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)