|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sean conclude about girls in Chapter 5?
2. What are the names of the two boys in the car in Chapter 5?
3. What is the name of Maggie's biology teacher?
4. What is the statue of that Liz's mother gives her?
5. Which of the following is introduced in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Liz's tough exterior versus her softer interior.
2. What does Dennis think about Maggie while they are on their first date?
3. What foreshadowing is present in Chapter 3?
4. How is diction used in Chapter 1 to enhance the reading experience?
5. Why does Liz decide against having sex with Sean?
6. Why is Liz uncomfortable around her stepfather? How is it shown that this affects her?
7. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
8. What does Maggie feel insecure about in Chapter 2?
9. Compare and contrast Dennis and Sean.
10. Describe the high school setting in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are blind loyalty demonstrated in the story? Which characters are loyal? What consequences will be faced by the fiercely loyal characters and why?
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
Essay Topic 3
How does Maggie's life change from the beginning of the story to end? How much confidence has she gained? What has she lost over the course of the story? How does this change her?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)