|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the note from at the end of Chapter 2?
2. Where does Liz convince Maggie to go?
3. What is Rod's last name?
4. What does Dennis try to figure out in Chapter 4?
5. What is the genre of the film Maggie watches in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liz try to improve her relationship with her parents?
2. On her date with Dennis in Chapter 3, what does Maggie hope?
3. What is the main conflict in Chapter 5?
4. Describe the high school setting in Chapter 1.
5. Describe Liz's tough exterior versus her softer interior.
6. Why does Liz claim that her dates with Sean are no longer fun?
7. What elements of foreshadowing are included in the letter that Liz writes to Sean in Chapter 6?
8. What is significant about Liz's astrological reading?
9. What mean things does Liz say to Maggie and how do they make her feel?
10. What are the contents of the memo at the end of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does peer pressure play in the novel? what message about peer pressure does the author wish to send? How do the characters cope with peer pressure? Do you think the author meant for the characters to serve as a model for peer pressure and the ideal way for teens to deal with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the third person omniscient point of view important in the story? What elements of a third person omniscient point of view make the story connect with the reader? How would the story change if the book were not written in this point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)