|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress does Liz wear in Chapter 7?
2. What does Liz compare Maggie's hair to?
3. What does Liz no longer do that has met with her mother's disapproval?
4. What has Liz been warned of?
5. What does Liz claim to be no longer fun in chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie decide not to go to the prom with Dennis?
2. Why does Liz decide that she is in no hurry to get home in Chapter 9?
3. What foreshadowing is present in Chapter 3?
4. Why do Sean and Liz want to get married?
5. What is the central cause of deterioration in the relationship between Maggie and Dennis?
6. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
7. Why does Liz tell Maggie to let her die?
8. What mean things does Liz say to Maggie and how do they make her feel?
9. Why is Liz uncomfortable around her stepfather? How is it shown that this affects her?
10. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is realism important in the story? How does realism give the reader a way to connect with the writing? What is the downfall to a story that does not contain realism? How do these questions apply to this specific story?
Essay Topic 2
What is symbolic about the Madonna statue that Liz's mother gives to Liz? What other symbols are represented in the story? How does the reader know that symbolism is being used in the context of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What social commentary does the author include in the story? What message about society and today's culture might the author be trying to send?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)