|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dennis decide not to do in Chapter 2 so that he does not have to kiss his date?
2. What car do the two boys pull up in in Chapter 5?
3. What does Sean believe is his only thing to live for?
4. What does Liz say that she does not want to have in Chapter 6?
5. What does Sean buy in Chapter 3 before a date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
2. Why does Liz end up going to the dance with Rod?
3. Why is Liz uncomfortable around her stepfather? How is it shown that this affects her?
4. How does Liz try to improve her relationship with her parents?
5. Why is the third person omniscient point of view helpful in the first chapter?
6. At what point is the transition between the characters' thoughts most intense? Why?
7. How is the Madonna statue being moved a symbol? What does it symbolize?
8. Compare and contrast Dennis and Sean.
9. How is it shown that Liz feels the need to be validated?
10. What mean things does Liz say to Maggie and how do they make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the chapters in the story end with a note from one character to another. What is the author's purpose in including these notes? Is it an effective storytelling technique? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the protagonist and antagonist in the story. How does the antagonist create conflict? How does the protagonist attempt to solve conflict?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)