|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liz no longer do that has met with her mother's disapproval?
2. Who does Liz say she does not want to end up like in Chapter 6?
3. Who does Liz suggest might ask Maggie to the prom?
4. What does Maggie suggest to Dennis that they get?
5. Who convinces Dennis to ask Maggie out in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liz berate Maggie?
2. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
3. How is it shown that Liz feels the need to be validated?
4. What are the contents of the memo at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What does Dennis think about Maggie while they are on their first date?
6. At what point is the transition between the characters' thoughts most intense? Why?
7. How does Liz try to improve her relationship with her parents?
8. What does Maggie feel insecure about in Chapter 2?
9. Compare and contrast Dennis and Sean.
10. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
Essay Topic 2
What are the motivations of each character? Describe how each of the four main characters are driven by their motivation.
Essay Topic 3
What role does foreshadowing play in the story? Consider the theme of suicide in Chapter 3 and the astrological readings that Liz fears. What do these events foreshadow? How does the reader know that these are elements of foreshadowing? How does foreshadowing build tension?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)