|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is there a notice about in Chapter 6?
2. What is Liz's emotion as she leaves in Chapter 7?
3. What does Liz's mother claim to see changed in Liz in Chapter 7?
4. Why is Dennis at Maggie's house in Chapter 2?
5. Which of the following literary devices is used in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadowing is present in Chapter 3?
2. Describe Maggie's emotions in the final chapter.
3. What improvements are made to the relationship between Dennis and Maggie in Chapter 8?
4. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
5. Why does Liz not graduate in the story?
6. Describe the tone of the note at the end of Chapter 12 from Liz to Maggie. In what tone might the reader find the note?
7. What is Sean's main problem in Chapter 5?
8. How is symbolism used in Chapter 15?
9. Why does Sean decide to talk to his father? What are the results?
10. Why does Maggie go to the clinic with Rod and Liz?
Essay Topic 1
What role does foreshadowing play in the story? Consider the theme of suicide in Chapter 3 and the astrological readings that Liz fears. What do these events foreshadow? How does the reader know that these are elements of foreshadowing? How does foreshadowing build tension?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two major relationships in the story: Maggie and Dennis, then Liz and Sean. How and why are the relationships so different? How does each relationship cause conflict? How do characters behave, grow, and develop as a result of the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)