|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word might Sean use to describe the human race?
2. Who convinces Dennis to ask Maggie out in Chapter 3?
3. What is the result of Liz's mother's comments in Chapter 7?
4. Which of the following does Dennis contemplate in Chapter 2?
5. What does Dennis decide not to do in Chapter 2 so that he does not have to kiss his date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liz want to go to the Red Pub Inn?
2. What elements of foreshadowing are included in the letter that Liz writes to Sean in Chapter 6?
3. How is diction used in Chapter 1 to enhance the reading experience?
4. Describe Maggie's loyalty to Liz.
5. On her date with Dennis in Chapter 3, what does Maggie hope?
6. What does Maggie feel insecure about in Chapter 2?
7. What is the disparity in the definitions of love between the characters in the story?
8. Why does Liz decide against having sex with Sean?
9. How is it shown that Liz feels the need to be validated?
10. How is the Madonna statue being moved a symbol? What does it symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the motivations of each character? Describe how each of the four main characters are driven by their motivation.
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism is present in Sean's essay? What is the significance of the title of his essay, "The Circus of Darkness"? What can the reader learn from Sean as a result?
Essay Topic 3
What is symbolic about the Madonna statue that Liz's mother gives to Liz? What other symbols are represented in the story? How does the reader know that symbolism is being used in the context of the story?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)