Chapters 1 - 5
• Philip talks about his life as a child, growing up with his older cousin Ambrose as a guardian.
• Philip had no female influences in his life because Ambrose was mistrustful of women.
• He wonders if being like Ambrose caused the disaster that happened with Rachel.
• Philip remembers talking to Ambrose before he left for Italy and that it seemed like Ambrose knew he would die.
• Philip later received a letter from Ambrose saying he had met a woman named Rachel.
• Rachel was a distant cousin of Ambrose and Philip.
• Nick Kendall, Philip’s godfather, remembered the family as being irresponsible with money.
• Another letter from Ambrose announced that he and Rachel had married.
• Philip worried that having a woman in the house would change everything.
• Still another letter said that Ambrose would not be coming home in the summer because Rachel had some business to take...
This section contains 2,848 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)