|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There really was a ____________ family in Redding.
2. What does Tim call out when he sees the cow-boys?
3. What is a major problem for the people in Redding now?
4. How does Tim feel after Sam leaves?
5. How many cows do Mrs. Meeker and Tim have to sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tim exhibit that he has the qualities to become the man of the house?
2. Describe the reunion of Sam, Tim and Mother.
3. What disturbing news do Mother and Tim receive in June of 1777?
4. How has Mother evolved in the story to this point?
5. Describe Mother's state of mind at this point in the story.
6. What happens to Tim and Mother after the war is over?
7. Explain why Tim feels trapped in an impossible situation.
8. What are Tim's options when faced with the critical decision after his father disappears?
9. Explain Tim's philosophies on his country and the war that took so much from his family.
10. What happens that makes Tim feel he is no longer a Tory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description of Sam Meeker. What are his motivations and convictions? What are his character flaws? In what ways is he heroic?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 1 opens with a pounding rain that sounds like drums foreshadowing the coming of war. Explain foreshadowing. Why is this example considered to be foreshadowing? Can you cite two other examples of foreshadowing in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the novel. Be sure to include major locations, dates and places in your description and be as thorough as possible.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)