|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tim realize now that his father is gone?
2. On what day will Sam be executed?
3. What does Mrs. Meeker talk to Colonel Read about?
4. What does Mrs. Meeker admit for the first time?
5. What happens to anyone caught stealing cattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Tim feels trapped in an impossible situation.
2. What happens to Tim and Mother after the war is over?
3. Explain Tim's philosophies on his country and the war that took so much from his family.
4. What are Tim's personal frustrations as the war drags on and on?
5. How does Tim exhibit that he has the qualities to become the man of the house?
6. In what ways do people show courage other than actually fighting in the war?
7. What are Tim and Mother's attempts to free Sam from his imprisonment?
8. Characterize the demeanor and outlooks of the soldiers at this point in the war.
9. What disturbing news do Mother and Tim receive in June of 1777?
10. What effort did Sam make to try to save Father after he heard about his capture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Sam's being arrested and eventually killed for being a cattle thief.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Tim's philosophy of life in 1826, 50 years after the Revolutionary War. Is he bitter? Is he resigned? What was the purpose of his life? Does he think the sacrifices were warranted for what he has?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Tim Meeker. What are his motivations and convictions? What are his character flaws? In what ways is he heroic?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)