|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has Sam been dead?
2. Why does Tim go to Sam's execution?
3. What is it about Sam that Tim still cannot figure out?
4. What happens on December 3, 1778?
5. Where is Mr. Meeker buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Tim feel he is no longer a Tory?
2. What are Tim's options when faced with the critical decision after his father disappears?
3. What disturbing news do Mother and Tim receive in June of 1777?
4. What are Tim and Mother's attempts to free Sam from his imprisonment?
5. What happens to Tim and Mother after the war is over?
6. Explain why Tim feels trapped in an impossible situation.
7. What are the dire straits for people like Mother and Tim?
8. How does Sam respond to Mother's pleas that Sam return home?
9. What is an irony related to Sam's trial?
10. Why does Tim begin to resent his new life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Sam's sudden appearance at the Meeker Tavern so unsettling? Where is Sam supposed to be? How is he dressed? What is his demeanor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the maturity that Tim shows during Sam's last few days and then the execution. What does he do to show that he is truly a man now both physically and emotionally?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life of the Meeker family at the beginning of the book. Include their occupation, their home life and family members. How do these elements evolve as the story progresses to the end?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)