|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares the cow-boys away?
2. Instead of going to the tavern, where do a few of the British soldiers go?
3. Who later arrives at the tavern to discuss the war?
4. What does the wounded man say that the British soldiers were after?
5. The Meeker family learns that General Putnam ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is General Putnam's final decision regarding clemency for Sam?
2. Explain Tim's philosophies on his country and the war that took so much from his family.
3. Characterize the demeanor and outlooks of the soldiers at this point in the war.
4. Describe the reunion of Sam, Tim and Mother.
5. What are Tim and Mother's attempts to free Sam from his imprisonment?
6. What is an irony related to Sam's trial?
7. What are the dire straits for people like Mother and Tim?
8. In what ways do people show courage other than actually fighting in the war?
9. What happens to Tim and Mother after the war is over?
10. What impact has the war had on Mother as seen through Tim's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Sam's sudden appearance at the Meeker Tavern so unsettling? Where is Sam supposed to be? How is he dressed? What is his demeanor?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of religion in the American Revolution? Who were the Anglicans? Who were the Presbyterians? What political significance did the Anglican Church have in America?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the personality similarities between Sam and Tim. How does each manage boy exhibit rebelliousness? Loyalty? Envy? Desire for glory?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)