|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Tim find time to play with after his chores?
2. According to Mr. Platt, thievery and _____________ have taken over their county.
3. What has Sam stolen from the family home?
4. What does Tim sense about his father?
5. The town of Redding is divided into how many parts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the religious split in Redding?
2. Explain Tim's internal conflicts about Sam's disobedience.
3. How does the threat of war finally arrive in Redding?
4. How involved in the war is Redding in the summer of 1775?
5. How does the author use religion as a theme in this book?
6. How is the author showing how Tim is more like Sam than he might want to think?
7. How is Tim showing more maturity than Sam at this point in the story?
8. What is the difficult decision that Father must make in Chapter 7?
9. What is so mysterious about Mr. Heron?
10. How does the author show the reality of war for Tim and Father in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. Be sure to include major locations, dates and places in your description and be as thorough as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Father means when he says, "In war the dead pay the debts for the living." Cite examples to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life of the Meeker family at the beginning of the book. Include their occupation, their home life and family members. How do these elements evolve as the story progresses to the end?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)