|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Mr. Meeker's newspaper?
2. How many letters has Mrs. Meeker received from Sam?
3. How long has Sam Meeker been away from home?
4. What does the person in #68 think Tim is carrying?
5. Who spends a lot of time hanging out at the tavern this summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the arguments and sides that people are taking regarding England?
2. How does the author show the reality of war for Tim and Father in Chapter 7?
3. Explain the nature of Tim's quandary regarding his position on the war.
4. How does the author show the close bond between Tim and Sam even during this time of conflict?
5. In addition to uncertainty, how is powerlessness an important element in what the people of Redding are experiencing?
6. How do Father and Tim interact now that Sam is gone?
7. What is the religious split in Redding?
8. How does the author use religion as a theme in this book?
9. How is the author showing how Tim is more like Sam than he might want to think?
10. How does the author characterize Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For much of the novel, Tim is torn between his loyalty to the family and his loyalty to his brother, Sam. Describe the turning point when Tim realizes on which side his loyalties lie.
Essay Topic 2
As the war wages on, Tim becomes less enamored of the glory he had hoped to have one day and focuses on the reality of surviving. Explain why Tim's efforts at home were just as noble as Sam's in the field.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of religion in the American Revolution? Who were the Anglicans? Who were the Presbyterians? What political significance did the Anglican Church have in America?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)