|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Meeker claim about Continental soldiers?
(a) She wishes she could give them meals
(b) She hopes they rot in hell
(c) She will never serve another one again
(d) She thinks they are very brave
2. Who is the only person who can change Sam's verdict?
(a) Colonel Read
(b) General Washington
(c) General Parsons
(d) General Putnam
3. Which of the following things has not worn down Mrs. Meeker's spirit?
(a) Mr. Meeker's death
(b) Taking in sewing
(d) Sam's arrest
4. How many years after Sam's death does the war end?
5. Who is Tim's teacher?
(a) Mr. MacKenzie
(b) Mr. Heron
(c) Mr. Morgan
(d) Mr. Beach
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cows do Mrs. Meeker and Tim have to sell?
2. What happens to anyone caught stealing cattle?
3. Who accompanies Tim to Sam's execution?
4. How did General Putnam react to Mrs. Meeker's story about the cattle?
5. Which of the following does Tim not see which would indicate an altercation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tim's overwhelming sense of futility related to the war?
2. Why does Tim begin to resent his new life?
3. What is General Putnam's final decision regarding clemency for Sam?
4. Explain why Tim feels trapped in an impossible situation.
5. How do the authors balance reality and fiction in this book?
6. What are Tim's personal frustrations as the war drags on and on?
7. Explain Tim's philosophies on his country and the war that took so much from his family.
8. Why is this chapter so graphic in its description and abrupt end?
9. What happens that makes Tim feel he is no longer a Tory?
10. What are Tim's options when faced with the critical decision after his father disappears?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)