|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe Tim as he waits for his father at the wagon?
(a) He looks for places to hide
(b) He whistles
(c) He does not like being alone
(d) He checks behind him to look for the cow-boys
2. In addition to his chores, Sam also has to __________________.
(a) Clean the guns
(b) Go to school
(c) Butcher the cattle
(d) Plow the field
3. Who accompanies Tim to Sam's execution?
(a) No one
(c) Mrs. Meeker
(d) Mr. Beach
4. What does Tim tell Mrs. Meeker to get her to go to the barn?
(a) The cow is hurt
(b) Mr. Meeker has come home
(c) A wounded man is inside
(d) A fire has started
5. Why does Tim go to Sam's execution?
(a) He knows Sam would want someone there
(b) He plans to rescue him
(c) He needs to see it to believe it
(d) He hopes for an appeal
6. How many cows do Mrs. Meeker and Tim have to sell?
7. What would Mr. Meeker and Tim do if they see cow-boys?
8. What does Mrs. Meeker talk to Colonel Read about?
(c) The tavern
(d) Mr. Meeker
9. Of what did Mr. Meeker die?
(c) Gun shot
10. The lives and deaths of many of the characters, including Jerry Sanford and _________, were written here as they were recorded.
11. What does Tim think about Sam's being taken away as a cattle thief?
(a) It is a death sentence for Sam
(b) Sam will need a good lawyer
(c) Sam is guilty of the crime
(d) It is a misunderstanding and easy to straighten out
12. In what year does Tim write this story?
13. What is the outcome of Sam's trial?
(a) He is exonerated
(b) He is to be executed
(c) He is sent to a prison camp
(d) He is sentenced to hard labor
14. Why is Tim rude to General Parsons when he visits him again?
(a) He approved Sam's execution sentence
(b) He does not want to talk to Tim
(c) He insults Tim
(d) He knows Sam is innocent
15. Why is it good that Tim's wound is superficial?
(a) Penicillin had not been invented yet
(b) His mother would not survive if he were wounded
(c) Dr. Hobart can't come to the tavern tonight
(d) No one can prove he was at the stockade
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tim sent to bring back to the tavern?
2. Who is Colonel Read?
3. What news do Mrs. Meeker and Tim receive in June of 1777?
4. Who is one of the people taken away by the British soldiers?
5. As Tim approaches the stockade, he __________________ and throws the bayonet over the wall.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)