|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Redding, _______ is a topic of constant discussion.
2. Tim finds that it is hard to ___________________.
(a) Read his school books
(b) Keep up with his chores
(c) Find time for fishing
(d) Decide who is an enemy and who is a friend
3. The town of Redding is divided into how many parts?
4. What do the men accuse Mr. Meeker of being?
(a) A Tory
(b) A spy
(c) A Rebel
(d) An atheist
5. What do soldiers on both sides of the war now steal?
6. Who does Tim try to avoid by the end of summer?
(a) Mr. Heron
(b) Betsy Read
(c) Mr. Meeker
(d) Mr. Beach
7. Right now, to Tim, glory seems more important than _____________.
8. How does Betsy signal to Tim that Sam has returned?
(a) A small nod
(b) A fire at dawn
(c) A rap on the window
(d) A secret code
9. Sam believes that people should be ready to die for _____________________.
(a) Their principles
10. Why will Mr. Meeker not allow Mrs. Meeker to write letters to Sam?
(a) They might be intercepted
(b) Ink costs too much
(c) Paper is scarce
(d) Sam needs to be taught a lesson
11. What does Tim do in secret that he knows his father would not approve of?
(a) Takes candy from the store
(b) Tells Mr. Heron he wants to deliver his messages
(c) Skips school
(d) Kisses a girl
12. When Mr. Meeker does not give up the gun, what does the soldier do?
(a) Cuts off his thumbs
(b) Shoots him
(c) Stabs him
(d) Cuts his face with a sword
13. What has Sam stolen from the family home?
(c) Legal papers
(d) A gun
14. What does Betsy ask Tim one day?
(a) If he will chop wood for the family
(b) If he will teach her to fish
(c) If he can keep a secret should Sam come back
(d) If he will walk her to school
15. What does Tim sense about his father?
(a) He is a Rebel at heart
(b) He cannot decide which side of the war to support
(c) He is very sick
(d) He does not want to lose another son
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the younger boy from church who talks to Tim about Sam's fight with their father?
2. According to Mr. Platt, thievery and _____________ have taken over their county.
3. Why is Betsy making this trip?
4. What kind of fish do Tim and Jerry catch?
5. Who does Tim see approach the Meeker tavern?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)