|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rino's father agree to do with the shoes Rino and Lila created in Adolescence: Chapter 28?
2. What does Lila do when Marcello comes to visit Rino in Adolescence: Chapter 27?
3. At what time of day does Elena depart the summer home to return to her family in Adolescence: Chapter 35?
4. Who sexually assaults Elena in Adolescence: Chapter 35?
5. What is Antonio's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs in Adolescence: Chapter 53 that gives Elena a feeling of purpose?
2. How does Lila and Rino's father respond to the shoes they have designed? What is significant about his reaction?
3. How has the relationship between Elena and Lila evolved in Adolescence: Chapters 49-54?
4. How does Elena respond to the engagement of Lila? Why?
5. What is significant about Lila's action of having Elena's glasses repaired by Stefano in the novel?
6. What is foreshadowed in the end of Adolescence: Chapter 36? How does this foreshadowing develop tension in the narrative?
7. What is revealed to the reader through Donato's sexual assault of Elena?
8. How do the neighborhood youths feel about the engagement of Stefano and Lila in Adolescence: Chapters 43-48?
9. Who are Elena's romantic suitors after school begins in Adolescence: Chapter 41?
10. Why does Stefano win Lila's hand instead of Marcello?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the phenomena referred to by Lila as "dissolving margins." What mental and physical experience does Lila describe in these instances? What does the discussion of dissolving margins foreshadow in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative style and framing device established for My Brilliant Friend in the Prologue and first chapters. From whose perspective is the narrative related? Why is the narrative related by this character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Lila's behavior in school when she is young. Why do you think that Lila acts out in class? How does the teacher respond to Lila's behavior? What is discovered about Lila's abilities?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)