|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who supposedly invited Nino to Lila's wedding?
2. What does Stefano intend to do with the drawings of Lila's that he buys in Adolescence: Chapter 38?
3. Why does Marcello not want to buy the shoes Lila and Rino created in Adolescence: Chapter 28?
4. What internal conflict does Lila express to Elena in her letter in Adolescence: Chapter 34?
5. Whom does Stefano say he's secured as the speech master for his and Lila's wedding in Adolescence: Chapter 56?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lila's character impacted by the conflicts with her family regarding Marcello in Adolescence: Chapters 25-30?
2. Who are Elena's romantic suitors after school begins in Adolescence: Chapter 41?
3. What is revealed to the reader through Donato's sexual assault of Elena?
4. How does Lila and Rino's father respond to the shoes they have designed? What is significant about his reaction?
5. What significant plot points emerge in Adolescence: Chapters 25-30?
6. How does Elena respond to the engagement of Lila? Why?
7. Why does Stefano win Lila's hand instead of Marcello?
8. What is significant about the New Year's Eve party that is referenced throughout the narrative?
9. What propels Elena across the room to Nino at the reception in Adolescence: Chapter 60?
10. What irony can be seen in the dependence of the shoe store's success on the Solaras?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What caused the conflict between Lila and Enzo that involved throwing rocks? How does the conflict become resolved? What impact does this conflict and its resolution have on their future friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative style and framing device established for My Brilliant Friend in the Prologue and first chapters. From whose perspective is the narrative related? Why is the narrative related by this character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's allusions to the novel Little Women in My Brilliant Friend. What impact does this novel have on Lila and Elena? How does it influence their actions? What are common themes between Little Women and My Brilliant Friend?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)