|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Adolescence: Chapter 22 means extremely poor or povery-stricken?
2. What does Rino show his father on a feast day in Adolescence: Chapter 23?
3. What is the name of Nino's sister that arrives at the summer house in Adolescence: Chapter 31?
4. What does the word "expiate" mean in the narrative?
5. What rumors are spread about Lila in Adolescence: Chapter 46?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stefano win Lila's hand instead of Marcello?
2. How does Lila and Rino's father respond to the shoes they have designed? What is significant about his reaction?
3. How do the neighborhood youths feel about the engagement of Stefano and Lila in Adolescence: Chapters 43-48?
4. What significant plot points emerge in Adolescence: Chapters 25-30?
5. What revelations does Elena experience during the wedding and ride to the reception in Adolescence: Chapters 58 and 59?
6. What causes Elena depression and dissatisfaction in Adolescence: Chapters 25-30?
7. What occurrences take place in Ishia that Elena never reveals to Lila?
8. What do the actions of the Solara brothers reveal about their characters during the fireworks competition at the New Year's Eve party?
9. How does Elena respond to the engagement of Lila? Why?
10. What is revealed to the reader through Donato's sexual assault of Elena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting where Lila and Elena grow up. What year is it when the narrative of their childhood begins? What is Naples like at this time? Where in Naples do Elena and Lila live?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the political ideals that are explored and discussed in My Brilliant Friend. How would you define Communism and Fascism? What are the history of these political ideals in Italy? How do they reflect upon the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the shoes that Lila and Rino design and create. What do the shoes represent symbolically for these characters in the novel? What do they represent to Elena and to the other characters? What is the significance of the appearance of the shoes in the end of the narrative?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)