|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs the grocery that has been made in the old carpenter shop in Adolescence: Chapter 7?
2. At whose house are Lila and Elena at during their conversation in the beginning of Adolescence: Chapter 1?
3. Who is the neighborhood don that heads the neighborhood where Lila and Elena grow up?
4. Elena's mother tells her teacher that she does not want to pay for extra tutoring for Elena so that she can pass what exam in Childhood: Chapter 13?
5. What advice does Elena give to Lila's son in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exposition does the author reveal in the Prologue and Chapters 1-3?
2. What role does Don Achille play in the plot of My Brilliant Friend?
3. What is significant about Lila's inability to continue in school past elementary school in the narrative?
4. How does Lila's behavior toward Elena change once Lila is no longer in school?
5. How would you describe the development of Lila and Elena's relationship in Adolescence: Chapters 7-12?
6. How would you describe Elena's relationship with her parents in the novel?
7. How is Lila's sense of competition illustrated in Adolescence: Chapters 13-18?
8. How does Elena's first menstruation influence her relationship with Lila?
9. What is discovered of Lila's belongings and mementos in Chapters 2 and 3?
10. What is foreshadowed by the encounter between Lila, Elena, and the Solara brothers in Adolescence: Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's allusions to the novel Little Women in My Brilliant Friend. What impact does this novel have on Lila and Elena? How does it influence their actions? What are common themes between Little Women and My Brilliant Friend?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elena's relationship with Nino Saratorre in the novel. When does this relationship begin? How does it evolve? What about Nino is Elena attracted to? What happens to their relationship in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lila's wedding in the end of the novel. What revelations does Elena reach during the wedding? What revelations does Lila reach? How would you describe the character arcs of these two main characters from their introduction to the wedding?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)