|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lila's full name?
2. Where is Elena from?
3. What does Nino say to Elena on their way to school in Childhood: Chapter 11?
4. Why are Elena and Lila going into Don Achille's apartment building in Childhood: Chapter 10?
5. What has Lila become obsessed with in Adolescence: Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Lila's inability to continue in school past elementary school in the narrative?
2. What questions does Donato Sarratore's book of poetry elicit after its publication?
3. What information does Elena learn from Rino in Chapter 3? How does she react to this information?
4. How does Lila respond to jealousies over Elena in Adolescence: Chapters 3 and 4?
5. How does Elena's first menstruation influence her relationship with Lila?
6. What book do Lila and Elena purchase with the money from Don Achille in Childhood: Chapter 15? How does the book influence them?
7. What is discovered when Lila's mother is called to school in Childhood: Chapter 6? Why is this significant?
8. What is discovered of Lila's belongings and mementos in Chapters 2 and 3?
9. How would you describe Elena's relationship with her parents in the novel?
10. How would you describe Lila's demeanor at the age of six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the story of Donato Sarratore and Melina Cappuccio. What happened between these characters? How did the encounter between them influence their lives and reputations in the neighborhood?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the shoes that Lila and Rino design and create. What do the shoes represent symbolically for these characters in the novel? What do they represent to Elena and to the other characters? What is the significance of the appearance of the shoes in the end of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting where Lila and Elena grow up. What year is it when the narrative of their childhood begins? What is Naples like at this time? Where in Naples do Elena and Lila live?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)