|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nino say to Elena on their way to school in Childhood: Chapter 11?
2. What political party is the subject of discussion in Adolescence: Chapter 17?
3. Why do Elena and Lila set out to write a novel in Childhood: Chapter 15?
4. When was Little Women published?
5. How does Elena describe Lila injuring Enzo in Childhood: Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exposition does the author reveal in the Prologue and Chapters 1-3?
2. What is significant about Lila's inability to continue in school past elementary school in the narrative?
3. How would you describe Elena's relationship with her parents in the novel?
4. How does the onset of adolescence affect both Lila and Elena?
5. What romantic gestures are seen in Lila and Elena's narratives in Childhood: Chapter 11?
6. What is discovered of Lila's belongings and mementos in Chapters 2 and 3?
7. What is discovered when Lila's mother is called to school in Childhood: Chapter 6? Why is this significant?
8. What is foreshadowed by Lila's newfound obsession with shoemaking in Adolescence: Chapters 4-6?
9. How would you describe the development of Lila and Elena's relationship in Adolescence: Chapters 7-12?
10. How does Don Achille respond to Lila asking for their dolls in Childhood: Chapter 14? What is revealed of his character through is response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative style and framing device established for My Brilliant Friend in the Prologue and first chapters. From whose perspective is the narrative related? Why is the narrative related by this character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the story of Donato Sarratore and Melina Cappuccio. What happened between these characters? How did the encounter between them influence their lives and reputations in the neighborhood?
Essay Topic 3
What caused the conflict between Lila and Enzo that involved throwing rocks? How does the conflict become resolved? What impact does this conflict and its resolution have on their future friendship?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)