|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Latin Disciples had the leaders of which gang arrested?
2. In Chapter 34, Reymundo still played basketball with __________________.
3. What prevented Reymundo from getting out of the gang?
4. Reymundo began to have nightmares about ________________________.
5. Which area did the Latin Disciples take over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Reymundo no longer want to join a gang, and why did he go through with it anyway?
2. How did Loco show that he had a lot of faith in Reymundo who was such a new gang member?
3. What did Reymundo and Loca do as an act of revenge for Juni's death?
4. What did Reymundo do when Morena was killed in a drive-by shooting?
5. Why did Reymundo brutally shoot and wound Agila and how did Loca get Reymundo's life spared for the incident?
6. What role did Loca take on in Reymundo's life?
7. What logic did Cindy try to use on Reymundo about getting out of the gang lifestyle?
8. What happened to Rosie for trying to set up Reymundo for a hit?
9. How does Reymundo threaten Blanca into having sex with him?
10. Why did Rosie pretend to be in love with Reymundo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Sanchez use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of the gangs fighting violence with violence. Why was violence perpetuated in these circumstances? What would have been better solutions for addressing violence?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)