|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reymundo acted as lookout for _________________ who bought rifles and pistols from southern Illinois white guys.
2. Why did the girl in #91 change her mind about having sex with Reymundo?
3. What did the white guys give to Reymundo after the gun deal?
4. Reymundo sustained a wound in his arm which took __________________ to heal.
5. On what day of the week was Reymundo's initiation held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was meant by "violating out"?
2. What did Reymundo learn about Spanky when Reymundo was in the Cook County Jail, and what kind of time was Reymundo looking at for his crimes?
3. How does Reymundo threaten Blanca into having sex with him?
4. Who offered to help Reymundo get out of gang life?
5. Why did the Kings decide to get revenge on a coalition of other gangs for Morena's death instead of the Imperials who actually killed her?
6. What was the incredible bit of luck Reymundo had when viciously confronted by a Latin Lovers gang member?
7. What happened at Reymundo's gang initiation and what was his Latin King name now?
8. How did Loco show that he had a lot of faith in Reymundo who was such a new gang member?
9. Why did King Dino have to go to jail for the crime that Reymundo committed in retaliation for Morena's death?
10. What did Reymundo do when Morena was killed in a drive-by shooting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Maria. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Sanchez use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of the narrator and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)