|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reymundo met a girl named Cindy in Chinatown whose nickname was ________________.
2. Why did the girl in #109 pretend to be in love with Reymundo?
3. Who did Reymundo have sex with at Humboldt Park?
4. What did Loco give to Reymundo for Reymundo to sell?
5. Which one of Reymundo's old friends tried to kill Reymunco in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the white, middle-class kids in the suburbs not make it in gangs?
2. How did Speedy and Julio treat Reymundo differently during the Kings' war on the coalition?
3. Why did Reymundo no longer want to join a gang, and why did he go through with it anyway?
4. Why did Maria kick Reymundo out of her apartment and where did he live after that?
5. Why did Rosie pretend to be in love with Reymundo?
6. What was meant by "violating out"?
7. What logic did Cindy try to use on Reymundo about getting out of the gang lifestyle?
8. What was life like now for Reymundo since the Puerto Rican gangs were at war with each other?
9. How did Loco show that he had a lot of faith in Reymundo who was such a new gang member?
10. Why did Jenny not want to have sex with Reymundo, and who did he have sex with instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Reymundo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in America in the 1970s and 1980s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about women was evident in how the women in gangs behaved and how they were treated? Explain.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)