|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The gang member of which gang was run over by a van?
2. For the first time, the gangs expanded to _______________________.
3. In Chapter 29 a Spanish Cobras chief was gunned down while holding ________________ in his arms.
4. Which area did the Latin Disciples take over?
5. Which one of Reymundo's friends let Reymundo escape from an attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Kings' leadership deal with Lucky who began to violate gang rules and confront gang leadership?
2. How did Speedy and Julio treat Reymundo differently during the Kings' war on the coalition?
3. What was life like now for Reymundo since the Puerto Rican gangs were at war with each other?
4. What role did Loca take on in Reymundo's life?
5. Why did Maria kick Reymundo out of her apartment and where did he live after that?
6. Why did Reymundo brutally shoot and wound Agila and how did Loca get Reymundo's life spared for the incident?
7. Why did Rosie pretend to be in love with Reymundo?
8. What did Reymundo and Loca do as an act of revenge for Juni's death?
9. Why did the white, middle-class kids in the suburbs not make it in gangs?
10. Why did the Kings decide to get revenge on a coalition of other gangs for Morena's death instead of the Imperials who actually killed her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Reymundo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about the narrator?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)