|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Reymundo's old friends tried to kill Reymunco in Chapter 36?
2. At sixteen, Reymundo was offered the position of the ___________________ for the second time.
3. How did Reymundo make the girl in #91 have sex with him?
4. How many times was Rosie stabbed in the face and chest?
5. What drug had Lucky started to use which was a violation of gang rules?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who offered to help Reymundo get out of gang life?
2. Why were gang coalitions formed as a result of a shoot-out at the Wisconsin Dells one summer?
3. Why did Rosie pretend to be in love with Reymundo?
4. Why did Reymundo no longer want to join a gang, and why did he go through with it anyway?
5. What was life like now for Reymundo since the Puerto Rican gangs were at war with each other?
6. What were Reymundo's life and status in the gang when he started to hang out with the Kings' leaders?
7. What logic did Cindy try to use on Reymundo about getting out of the gang lifestyle?
8. What impact did Juni have on Reymundo's life and what eventually happened to Juni?
9. How did Speedy and Julio treat Reymundo differently during the Kings' war on the coalition?
10. What happened at Reymundo's gang initiation and what was his Latin King name now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Violence takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the violence? How pervasive was the violence among the gangs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact of gang life in the 1970s and 1980s. Compare and contrast the gang lifestyle in America during this time to America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)