|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the sentence of the person in #129?
2. What did Reymundo begin to do again to earn money?
3. Reymundo was ordered to make a hit on a new rival gang called _________________ in Chapter 32.
4. Who did Reymundo have sex with at Humboldt Park?
5. The gang member of which gang was run over by a van?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who offered to help Reymundo get out of gang life?
2. Why did the Kings decide to get revenge on a coalition of other gangs for Morena's death instead of the Imperials who actually killed her?
3. How did Loco show that he had a lot of faith in Reymundo who was such a new gang member?
4. What did Reymundo and Loca do as an act of revenge for Juni's death?
5. What happened at Reymundo's gang initiation and what was his Latin King name now?
6. What impact did Juni have on Reymundo's life and what eventually happened to Juni?
7. How did Speedy and Julio treat Reymundo differently during the Kings' war on the coalition?
8. What did Reymundo learn about Spanky when Reymundo was in the Cook County Jail, and what kind of time was Reymundo looking at for his crimes?
9. What were Reymundo's life and status in the gang when he started to hang out with the Kings' leaders?
10. Why did Reymundo no longer want to join a gang, and why did he go through with it anyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Violence takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the violence? How pervasive was the violence among the gangs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)