|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reymundo's best friend, __________________, was killed in a drive-by shooting by Imperial Gangsters in Chapter 36.
2. Reymundo realized that the Kings' real purpose was to ____________________.
3. What did Cindy try to convince Reymundo to do?
4. What was Reymundo's gang name at this time?
5. What was the location of the shoot-our in #148?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were gang coalitions formed as a result of a shoot-out at the Wisconsin Dells one summer?
2. What role did Loca take on in Reymundo's life?
3. Why did Rosie pretend to be in love with Reymundo?
4. What impact did Juni have on Reymundo's life and what eventually happened to Juni?
5. What did Reymundo do when Morena was killed in a drive-by shooting?
6. Why did the white, middle-class kids in the suburbs not make it in gangs?
7. What was the incredible bit of luck Reymundo had when viciously confronted by a Latin Lovers gang member?
8. How does Reymundo threaten Blanca into having sex with him?
9. What did Reymundo and Loca do as an act of revenge for Juni's death?
10. Why did Reymundo no longer want to join a gang, and why did he go through with it anyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the violence? How pervasive was the violence among the gangs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Sanchez is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)