|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which gang member went to prison for the killing and maiming of the Imperial Gangsters members shot by Reymundo?
2. Reymundo acted as lookout for _________________ who bought rifles and pistols from southern Illinois white guys.
3. Which childhood friend did Reymundo run into in prison?
4. Which girl warned Reymundo about an ambush in Chapter 31?
5. Which of the following was NOT in Reymundo's possession when he was caught and sent to jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Reymundo threaten Blanca into having sex with him?
2. What was the incredible bit of luck Reymundo had when viciously confronted by a Latin Lovers gang member?
3. Why did the white, middle-class kids in the suburbs not make it in gangs?
4. What did Reymundo do when Morena was killed in a drive-by shooting?
5. What happened at Reymundo's gang initiation and what was his Latin King name now?
6. What was life like now for Reymundo since the Puerto Rican gangs were at war with each other?
7. Why were gang coalitions formed as a result of a shoot-out at the Wisconsin Dells one summer?
8. What impact did Juni have on Reymundo's life and what eventually happened to Juni?
9. What happened to Rosie for trying to set up Reymundo for a hit?
10. Why did Reymundo no longer want to join a gang, and why did he go through with it anyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of the narrator and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)