|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At sixteen, Reymundo was offered the position of the ___________________ for the second time.
2. How old is Reymundo in Chapter 32?
3. Reymundo began to have nightmares about ________________________.
4. How old was Reymundo in Chapter 42 when he learned how to drive a car?
5. What drug had Lucky started to use which was a violation of gang rules?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the incredible bit of luck Reymundo had when viciously confronted by a Latin Lovers gang member?
2. Why did Reymundo no longer want to join a gang, and why did he go through with it anyway?
3. Why did the white, middle-class kids in the suburbs not make it in gangs?
4. What was life like now for Reymundo since the Puerto Rican gangs were at war with each other?
5. What happened at Reymundo's gang initiation and what was his Latin King name now?
6. How did Speedy and Julio treat Reymundo differently during the Kings' war on the coalition?
7. What was meant by "violating out"?
8. Why did Jenny not want to have sex with Reymundo, and who did he have sex with instead?
9. How does Reymundo threaten Blanca into having sex with him?
10. Who offered to help Reymundo get out of gang life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in America in the 1970s and 1980s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about women was evident in how the women in gangs behaved and how they were treated? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact of gang life in the 1970s and 1980s. Compare and contrast the gang lifestyle in America during this time to America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)