|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Reymundo saw the NRA sticker on the white guys' car he though it meant ____________________.
2. What was the reason for Rosie's attack?
3. Reymundo's best friend, __________________, was killed in a drive-by shooting by Imperial Gangsters in Chapter 36.
4. On what holiday did the Kings and Cobras get into a shoot-out resulting in the death of several innocent bystanders?
5. What was Reymundo's gang name at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rosie pretend to be in love with Reymundo?
2. Why did Jenny not want to have sex with Reymundo, and who did he have sex with instead?
3. Why did King Dino have to go to jail for the crime that Reymundo committed in retaliation for Morena's death?
4. What role did Loca take on in Reymundo's life?
5. What logic did Cindy try to use on Reymundo about getting out of the gang lifestyle?
6. How does Reymundo threaten Blanca into having sex with him?
7. How did the Kings' leadership deal with Lucky who began to violate gang rules and confront gang leadership?
8. Why did Reymundo brutally shoot and wound Agila and how did Loca get Reymundo's life spared for the incident?
9. What was life like now for Reymundo since the Puerto Rican gangs were at war with each other?
10. Why did Maria kick Reymundo out of her apartment and where did he live after that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Sanchez use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book, then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)