|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Reymundo rape the girl in #91?
2. On what holiday did the Kings and Cobras get into a shoot-out resulting in the death of several innocent bystanders?
3. Why was Loca mad that Reymundo pulled a gun and escaped from the big Kings meeting?
4. How old was Reymundo in Chapter 42 when he learned how to drive a car?
5. How old is Reymundo in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who offered to help Reymundo get out of gang life?
2. What happened to Rosie for trying to set up Reymundo for a hit?
3. How did Loco show that he had a lot of faith in Reymundo who was such a new gang member?
4. What logic did Cindy try to use on Reymundo about getting out of the gang lifestyle?
5. What was life like now for Reymundo since the Puerto Rican gangs were at war with each other?
6. What impact did Juni have on Reymundo's life and what eventually happened to Juni?
7. Why did Maria kick Reymundo out of her apartment and where did he live after that?
8. How did the Kings' leadership deal with Lucky who began to violate gang rules and confront gang leadership?
9. What were Reymundo's life and status in the gang when he started to hang out with the Kings' leaders?
10. Why did Jenny not want to have sex with Reymundo, and who did he have sex with instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of the narrator and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Sanchez is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)