|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the member of the Latin Lovers order Reymundo to shout as he held a gun to Reymundo's head?
2. Why did the girl in #109 pretend to be in love with Reymundo?
3. Which one of Reymundo's friends let Reymundo escape from an attack?
4. Why did Maria kick Reymundo out of her apartment in Chapter 33?
5. When Reymundo was eighteen, he had a relationship with Loca who was how old?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the 1970s and 1980s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about women was evident in how the women in gangs behaved and how they were treated? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Violence takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the violence? How pervasive was the violence among the gangs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)