|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19 Reymundo, Papo and Speedy badly beat up a classmate who was a ________________.
2. Where did the family move when they left Puerto Rico?
3. What did Reymundo's best friend, Papo, suggest to the Spanish Lords?
4. What did Hector buy for the apartment so Reymundo would have a place to stay?
5. What item of Pedro's did Reymundo sell to get booze and marijuana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Flaco's Insane Spanish Cobras beat Papo and not Reymundo?
2. What did both Maria and Hector do to help Reymundo go to school and live a relatively normal life?
3. Why was Reymundo exempt from the usual act of violence to join a group when he decided on the Latin Kings?
4. What did Reymundo have to do in Imperial Gangsters territory as part of his initiation into the Latin Kings?
5. Describe Reymundo's violent life after the family moved back to Puerto Rico.
6. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
7. Describe the violent encounter between the Chi-Wests and Reymundo, Mouse and Morena. What advice did Morena later give Reymundo about being a leader?
8. Where did Reymundo meet China, a girl he really liked?
9. What is the premise of "My Bloody Life"?
10. Why was the gang lifestyle so attractive to Reymundo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the violence? How pervasive was the violence among the gangs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the 1970s and 1980s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about women was evident in how the women in gangs behaved and how they were treated? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Sanchez is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)