|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the woman in #27?
2. China wanted to go to college to become a _______________.
3. Who was the leader of the Unknowns?
4. Who was the leader of the Insane Spanish Cobras?
5. Who was the Spanish Lord gang member who Reymundo got into a fistfight with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Reymundo meet China, a girl he really liked?
2. Where did Reymundo's family move to in America and what did Reymundo especially like about it?
3. Describe the incident where Pedro severely beats Reymundo who appeals to his mother -- who also beats him.
4. What options was Reymundo given regarding getting the sweater back or killing a gang member and what was the potential consequence?
5. What was Reymundo's life like when he lived with Hector?
6. Describe the violent encounter between the Chi-Wests and Reymundo, Mouse and Morena. What advice did Morena later give Reymundo about being a leader?
7. What was Reymundo's relationship with Morena and what did he think might destroy that relationship?
8. What impact did Pedro's beatings of Reymundo have on Reymundo's life?
9. What did Reymundo have to do in Imperial Gangsters territory as part of his initiation into the Latin Kings?
10. How did Reymundo's life change after he was branded a coward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book, then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)