|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reymundo and the boy in #39 saw some members of which white gang walking down the street in Chapter 11?
2. How did the girl in #79 treat Reymundo?
3. What was a nickel bag?
4. How old was Reymundo when he was raped by a cousin?
5. Where was Reymundo born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Reymundo's introduction to sex like and who was his partner?
2. Who were Reymundo's friends at his new school and what were some of the things they did together?
3. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
4. How did Reymundo rationalize his first killing spree and what gang accepted him after that?
5. How did Reymundo's life change after he was branded a coward?
6. What options was Reymundo given regarding getting the sweater back or killing a gang member and what was the potential consequence?
7. What did Jenny tell Reymundo about her and Speedy that made him so angry that he put his life at risk and ended up badly beaten in the hospital?
8. Describe the incident in which Reymundo was kicked out of the Spanish Lords clubhouse because a Chi-West member stole Crazy's gang sweater.
9. Describe the violent encounter between the Chi-Wests and Reymundo, Mouse and Morena. What advice did Morena later give Reymundo about being a leader?
10. Describe the time when Reymundo was pulled into a murder with Jenny's brother, Lil Man, who wanted to teach the Gaylords gang a lesson after they beat an old couple simply for being Puerto Rican. What did Reymundo learn from this experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of the gangs fighting violence with violence. Why was violence perpetuated in these circumstances? What would have been better solutions for addressing violence?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the 1970s and 1980s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about women was evident in how the women in gangs behaved and how they were treated? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)