|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Spanish Lord gang member who Reymundo got into a fistfight with?
2. With what did Pedro threaten Reymundo all the time?
3. Which of the following was NOT something that fascinated Reymundo about his new city?
4. What was the nickname of the girl in #79?
5. What was so appealing about the gang to Reymundo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Rosie for trying to set up Reymundo for a hit?
2. How did Reymundo's life change after he was branded a coward?
3. What is the premise of "My Bloody Life"?
4. What did Reymundo learn about Spanky when Reymundo was in the Cook County Jail, and what kind of time was Reymundo looking at for his crimes?
5. What was Reymundo's life like when he lived with Hector?
6. Why was the gang lifestyle so attractive to Reymundo?
7. What impact did Pedro's beatings of Reymundo have on Reymundo's life?
8. Who was Rosie and why was Reymundo happy when China moved out of Maria's house?
9. Why did the Kings decide to get revenge on a coalition of other gangs for Morena's death instead of the Imperials who actually killed her?
10. Describe the time when Reymundo was pulled into a murder with Jenny's brother, Lil Man, who wanted to teach the Gaylords gang a lesson after they beat an old couple simply for being Puerto Rican. What did Reymundo learn from this experience?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sanchez's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Sanchez used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Sanchez use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,666 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)