|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Reymundo NOT crave about the gang?
2. What did Reymundo do when he moved back to the United States?
3. What continued for Reymundo when the family moved to Puerto Rico?
4. Why did Reymundo not have sex with the girl in #30 even though she agreed to it?
5. What did the boy in #39 ask Reymundo to hold so he could fight the white gang members?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Reymundo's violent life after the family moved back to Puerto Rico.
2. Describe the time when Reymundo was pulled into a murder with Jenny's brother, Lil Man, who wanted to teach the Gaylords gang a lesson after they beat an old couple simply for being Puerto Rican. What did Reymundo learn from this experience?
3. How did Reymundo's life change after he was branded a coward?
4. Describe the violent encounter between the Chi-Wests and Reymundo, Mouse and Morena. What advice did Morena later give Reymundo about being a leader?
5. What sleeping arrangements did Reymundo and China have at Maria's?
6. Describe the altercation between the Latin Kings and Latin Queens and the police at Montrose Harbor.
7. What was Reymundo's introduction to sex like and who was his partner?
8. Why was Reymundo exempt from the usual act of violence to join a group when he decided on the Latin Kings?
9. Describe the incident in which Reymundo was kicked out of the Spanish Lords clubhouse because a Chi-West member stole Crazy's gang sweater.
10. How did Reymundo rationalize his first killing spree and what gang accepted him after that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Reymundo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact of gang life in the 1970s and 1980s. Compare and contrast the gang lifestyle in America during this time to America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)