|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19 Reymundo, Papo and Speedy badly beat up a classmate who was a ________________.
2. Why did Reymundo decide he didn't want to be a part of the gang in #77?
3. After a ____________ egg fight between gangs, the Spanish Lords gunned down an innocent kid claiming he was a Cobra.
4. What bad news did Reymundo get the day after he was beaten quite severely?
5. What item of Pedro's did Reymundo sell to get booze and marijuana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the violent encounter between the Chi-Wests and Reymundo, Mouse and Morena. What advice did Morena later give Reymundo about being a leader?
2. Who was Rosie and why was Reymundo happy when China moved out of Maria's house?
3. Describe the traumatic and dysfunctional beginning of Reymundo's life in Puerto Rico.
4. What did both Maria and Hector do to help Reymundo go to school and live a relatively normal life?
5. Where did Reymundo's family move to in America and what did Reymundo especially like about it?
6. What impact did Pedro's beatings of Reymundo have on Reymundo's life?
7. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
8. What was Reymundo's life like when he lived with Hector?
9. What options was Reymundo given regarding getting the sweater back or killing a gang member and what was the potential consequence?
10. Describe the altercation between the Latin Kings and Latin Queens and the police at Montrose Harbor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact of gang life in the 1970s and 1980s. Compare and contrast the gang lifestyle in America during this time to America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)