|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Reymundo hide after being branded a coward?
2. How old was Reymundo when he was raped by a cousin?
3. What was the name of the store where Reymundo and his friends stole candy?
4. With which friend did Reymundo go to a high school hangout in Chapter 11?
5. Reymundo and the boy in #39 saw some members of which white gang walking down the street in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Reymundo's life and status in the gang when he started to hang out with the Kings' leaders?
2. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
3. What was the process for Reymundo to get out of the Latin Kings gang?
4. Describe the violent encounter between the Chi-Wests and Reymundo, Mouse and Morena. What advice did Morena later give Reymundo about being a leader?
5. Why was Reymundo exempt from the usual act of violence to join a group when he decided on the Latin Kings?
6. Why did the Kings decide to get revenge on a coalition of other gangs for Morena's death instead of the Imperials who actually killed her?
7. What did China share with Reymundo regarding her difficult home life?
8. Describe Reymundo's violent life after the family moved back to Puerto Rico.
9. Who offered to help Reymundo get out of gang life?
10. What is the premise of "My Bloody Life"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact of gang life in the 1970s and 1980s. Compare and contrast the gang lifestyle in America during this time to America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title--"My Bloody Life". Why did Sanchez choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,714 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)