|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who registered Reymundo in school and bought him school clothes?
2. After a ____________ egg fight between gangs, the Spanish Lords gunned down an innocent kid claiming he was a Cobra.
3. Why did the person in #37 fight with Reymundo?
4. To what neighborhood did Reymundo's family move?
5. Why did China hate her stepfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Reymundo rationalize his first killing spree and what gang accepted him after that?
2. What was Reymundo's relationship with Morena and what did he think might destroy that relationship?
3. What options was Reymundo given regarding getting the sweater back or killing a gang member and what was the potential consequence?
4. Where did Reymundo's family move to in America and what did Reymundo especially like about it?
5. Describe the altercation between the Latin Kings and Latin Queens and the police at Montrose Harbor.
6. Describe the violent encounter between the Chi-Wests and Reymundo, Mouse and Morena. What advice did Morena later give Reymundo about being a leader?
7. What was Reymundo's first experience with a gang war -- the one between the Spanish Cobras and the Spanish Lords?
8. What did Reymundo have to do in Imperial Gangsters territory as part of his initiation into the Latin Kings?
9. What is the premise of "My Bloody Life"?
10. Where did Reymundo meet China, a girl he really liked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of the gangs fighting violence with violence. Why was violence perpetuated in these circumstances? What would have been better solutions for addressing violence?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)