|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Reymundo's best friend, Papo, suggest to the Spanish Lords?
2. Which girl in school did Reymundo develop a crush on?
3. What bad news did Reymundo get the day after he was beaten quite severely?
4. What did Hector buy for the apartment so Reymundo would have a place to stay?
5. Which gang nearly wiped out the gang in #20 on one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Flaco's Insane Spanish Cobras beat Papo and not Reymundo?
2. What sleeping arrangements did Reymundo and China have at Maria's?
3. Describe the traumatic and dysfunctional beginning of Reymundo's life in Puerto Rico.
4. What options was Reymundo given regarding getting the sweater back or killing a gang member and what was the potential consequence?
5. Why did Speedy's own gang members beat him brutally for what Speedy did to Reymundo during a fight?
6. Describe Reymundo's violent life after the family moved back to Puerto Rico.
7. Where did Reymundo's family move to in America and what did Reymundo especially like about it?
8. What was Reymundo's introduction to sex like and who was his partner?
9. What is the premise of "My Bloody Life"?
10. Who were Reymundo's friends at his new school and what were some of the things they did together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Sanchez's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Sanchez used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of demographics in the makeup of gangs. What was the racial demographic? What was the age demographic? Why were youths in poverty-level households more susceptible to gang influence?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)