|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was so appealing about the gang to Reymundo?
2. How did Reymundo feel about China's moving out?
3. Reymundo and Papo hung out in the clubhouse of which gang?
4. For how long was Reymundo to be kicked out of the clubhouse, homeless and friendless?
5. Why was Reymundo called a coward in the Chi-West shooting episode?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Reymundo's relationship with Morena and what did he think might destroy that relationship?
2. Why was the gang lifestyle so attractive to Reymundo?
3. What was Reymundo's life like when he lived with Hector?
4. Where did Reymundo meet China, a girl he really liked?
5. How did Reymundo rationalize his first killing spree and what gang accepted him after that?
6. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
7. Describe the violent encounter between the Chi-Wests and Reymundo, Mouse and Morena. What advice did Morena later give Reymundo about being a leader?
8. Describe the traumatic and dysfunctional beginning of Reymundo's life in Puerto Rico.
9. What did China share with Reymundo regarding her difficult home life?
10. Why did Speedy's own gang members beat him brutally for what Speedy did to Reymundo during a fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Reymundo's mother. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Reymundo's mother?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book, then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)