|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the nickname of the girl in #79?
2. How old was the woman in #27?
3. What did Reymundo's best friend, Papo, suggest to the Spanish Lords?
4. Why did Reymundo decide he didn't want to be a part of the gang in #77?
5. For how long was Reymundo to be kicked out of the clubhouse, homeless and friendless?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Reymundo's introduction to sex like and who was his partner?
2. Why did Speedy's own gang members beat him brutally for what Speedy did to Reymundo during a fight?
3. What was Reymundo's first experience with a gang war -- the one between the Spanish Cobras and the Spanish Lords?
4. Describe the incident in which Reymundo was kicked out of the Spanish Lords clubhouse because a Chi-West member stole Crazy's gang sweater.
5. What sleeping arrangements did Reymundo and China have at Maria's?
6. Who were Reymundo's friends at his new school and what were some of the things they did together?
7. What did China share with Reymundo regarding her difficult home life?
8. Describe the incident where Pedro severely beats Reymundo who appeals to his mother -- who also beats him.
9. Where did Reymundo meet China, a girl he really liked?
10. Describe the time when Reymundo was pulled into a murder with Jenny's brother, Lil Man, who wanted to teach the Gaylords gang a lesson after they beat an old couple simply for being Puerto Rican. What did Reymundo learn from this experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact of gang life in the 1970s and 1980s. Compare and contrast the gang lifestyle in America during this time to America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the 1970s and 1980s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about women was evident in how the women in gangs behaved and how they were treated? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book, then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)