|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Reymundo branded a faggot in Chapter 14?
2. How old was Reymundo when he was raped by a cousin?
3. With which friend did Reymundo go to a high school hangout in Chapter 11?
4. What was the nickname of the girl in #79?
5. How did the girl in #79 treat Reymundo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Reymundo have to do in Imperial Gangsters territory as part of his initiation into the Latin Kings?
2. What did Jenny tell Reymundo about her and Speedy that made him so angry that he put his life at risk and ended up badly beaten in the hospital?
3. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
4. Why was Reymundo exempt from the usual act of violence to join a group when he decided on the Latin Kings?
5. What sleeping arrangements did Reymundo and China have at Maria's?
6. What impact did Pedro's beatings of Reymundo have on Reymundo's life?
7. What was Reymundo's introduction to sex like and who was his partner?
8. What was Reymundo's relationship with Morena and what did he think might destroy that relationship?
9. Describe the altercation between the Latin Kings and Latin Queens and the police at Montrose Harbor.
10. Describe the incident in which Reymundo was kicked out of the Spanish Lords clubhouse because a Chi-West member stole Crazy's gang sweater.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sanchez's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Sanchez used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book, then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)