|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of Pedro's did Reymundo sell to get booze and marijuana?
2. Which one of the Spanish Kings went with Reymundo to answer to the Unknowns about beating Speedy?
3. China wanted to go to college to become a _______________.
4. Why was Reymundo branded a faggot in Chapter 14?
5. How old was Reymundo when he had sex with the woman in #27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
2. Describe the time when Reymundo was pulled into a murder with Jenny's brother, Lil Man, who wanted to teach the Gaylords gang a lesson after they beat an old couple simply for being Puerto Rican. What did Reymundo learn from this experience?
3. Describe the incident where Pedro severely beats Reymundo who appeals to his mother -- who also beats him.
4. Describe the traumatic and dysfunctional beginning of Reymundo's life in Puerto Rico.
5. What did Reymundo have to do in Imperial Gangsters territory as part of his initiation into the Latin Kings?
6. Describe Reymundo's violent life after the family moved back to Puerto Rico.
7. What sleeping arrangements did Reymundo and China have at Maria's?
8. Why was the gang lifestyle so attractive to Reymundo?
9. Who was Rosie and why was Reymundo happy when China moved out of Maria's house?
10. How did Reymundo's life change after he was branded a coward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Reymundo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title--"My Bloody Life". Why did Sanchez choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)