|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Reymundo when he was raped by a cousin?
2. Why did Speedy's gang members beat him brutally for beating Reymundo?
3. Reymundo's father died before Reymundo turned what age?
4. What continued for Reymundo when the family moved to Puerto Rico?
5. Who was the Spanish Lord gang member who Reymundo got into a fistfight with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Reymundo's first experience with a gang war -- the one between the Spanish Cobras and the Spanish Lords?
2. Who was Rosie and why was Reymundo happy when China moved out of Maria's house?
3. What did both Maria and Hector do to help Reymundo go to school and live a relatively normal life?
4. What did China share with Reymundo regarding her difficult home life?
5. Describe Reymundo's violent life after the family moved back to Puerto Rico.
6. What options was Reymundo given regarding getting the sweater back or killing a gang member and what was the potential consequence?
7. Describe the incident in which Reymundo was kicked out of the Spanish Lords clubhouse because a Chi-West member stole Crazy's gang sweater.
8. What did Jenny tell Reymundo about her and Speedy that made him so angry that he put his life at risk and ended up badly beaten in the hospital?
9. How did Reymundo's life change after he was branded a coward?
10. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of the narrator and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Reymundo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about the narrator?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)