|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Jenny have sex with out of revenge when she learned that Reymundo was seeing China?
2. Which gang did Reymundo decide to never be a member of?
3. Who still did not have sex with Reymundo in Chapter 21?
4. Where did Reymundo hide all night to avoid more beatings?
5. Where was Reymundo born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Reymundo exempt from the usual act of violence to join a group when he decided on the Latin Kings?
2. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
3. Describe the time when Reymundo was pulled into a murder with Jenny's brother, Lil Man, who wanted to teach the Gaylords gang a lesson after they beat an old couple simply for being Puerto Rican. What did Reymundo learn from this experience?
4. What sleeping arrangements did Reymundo and China have at Maria's?
5. What did Reymundo have to do in Imperial Gangsters territory as part of his initiation into the Latin Kings?
6. How did Reymundo rationalize his first killing spree and what gang accepted him after that?
7. What was Reymundo's life like when he lived with Hector?
8. Why did Flaco's Insane Spanish Cobras beat Papo and not Reymundo?
9. How did Reymundo's life change after he was branded a coward?
10. What options was Reymundo given regarding getting the sweater back or killing a gang member and what was the potential consequence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Reymundo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the 1970s and 1980s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about women was evident in how the women in gangs behaved and how they were treated? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the cultural climate in America in the late 1970s and 1980s and why the time was right for gangs to become more prevalent in cities like Chicago. What were the trends in America at the time? Why was gang life the only option for so many young people in America's large cities?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)