|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maria agreed to pose as Reymundo's mother so he could ________________________.
2. The Cobras held Reymundo while they brutally beat ________________.
3. Who was the leader of the Unknowns?
4. In Chapter 16, Reymundo still wanted to enroll in ___________________.
5. Where did the family move when they left Puerto Rico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Reymundo have to do in Imperial Gangsters territory as part of his initiation into the Latin Kings?
2. Describe Reymundo's violent life after the family moved back to Puerto Rico.
3. What did both Maria and Hector do to help Reymundo go to school and live a relatively normal life?
4. Who were Reymundo's friends at his new school and what were some of the things they did together?
5. What did Reymundo learn that changed his mind about the Spanish Lords after his encounter with Snake?
6. Why was the gang lifestyle so attractive to Reymundo?
7. Describe the incident in which Reymundo was kicked out of the Spanish Lords clubhouse because a Chi-West member stole Crazy's gang sweater.
8. Why was Reymundo exempt from the usual act of violence to join a group when he decided on the Latin Kings?
9. What sleeping arrangements did Reymundo and China have at Maria's?
10. What was Reymundo's first experience with a gang war -- the one between the Spanish Cobras and the Spanish Lords?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sanchez's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Sanchez used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact of gang life in the 1970s and 1980s. Compare and contrast the gang lifestyle in America during this time to America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of the narrator and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)