|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Reymundo hide all night to avoid more beatings?
2. Why did Reymundo decide he didn't want to be a part of the gang in #77?
3. After a ____________ egg fight between gangs, the Spanish Lords gunned down an innocent kid claiming he was a Cobra.
4. Which girl in school did Reymundo develop a crush on?
5. Why did China hate her stepfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Reymundo exempt from the usual act of violence to join a group when he decided on the Latin Kings?
2. Why did Reymundo no longer want to join a gang, and why did he go through with it anyway?
3. What impact did Juni have on Reymundo's life and what eventually happened to Juni?
4. Why did Maria kick Reymundo out of her apartment and where did he live after that?
5. What did China share with Reymundo regarding her difficult home life?
6. How did Reymundo's life change after he was branded a coward?
7. What did Reymundo have to do in Imperial Gangsters territory as part of his initiation into the Latin Kings?
8. What was Reymundo's first experience with a gang war -- the one between the Spanish Cobras and the Spanish Lords?
9. What sleeping arrangements did Reymundo and China have at Maria's?
10. Why did Jenny not want to have sex with Reymundo, and who did he have sex with instead?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for acceptance. Identify at least two themes about acceptance in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of the narrator and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,625 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)