* Reymundo Sanchez was born in 1963 in a hilltop farming community in central Puerto Rico.
* Reymundo's elderly father died before Reymundo was five, and his mother soon married a man named Emilio.
* Reymundo and his brothers and sisters were left with their aunt while their mother went on her honeymoon, and Reymundo was beaten every day and even raped by an eighteen-year-old cousin.
* Reymundo's mother gave birth to another daughter and the family moved to the U.S. to live in a Mexican neighborhood in Chicago.
* Six-year-old Reymundo was fascinated by city life but had trouble learning English.
* Emilio eventually left the family and Reymundo's mother took up with Pedro, an older man who sold illegal lottery tickets.
* The family moved to a north side neighborhood called Humboldt Park where Reymundo quickly made friends and got good grades.
* Reymundo and his friends spent their time playing sports...
This section contains 2,947 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)