|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens Victor at the secret lab?
2. What does Victor discover about the liver cancer that has killed several people?
3. Where is Victor when he regains consciousness?
4. Where were Gephardt's fraudulent purchases delivered?
5. How are VJ's personal security guards paid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Victor when he's searching the clock tower?
2. What are Victor's feelings about Marsha's attitude toward what they discover about VJ?
3. How much of the secret lab does Victor see?
4. What does Victor finally admit to his wife in Chapter 9?
5. Why does VJ let his father out of imprisonment?
6. How do VJ and Victor interact, when they go to VJ's lab in Chapter 13?
7. Describe Marsha and Victor's conflicting views of VJ during Chapter 12.
8. What is the result of Marsha's discussion with her colleagues about VJ during Chapter 9?
9. What do the police do about the dead body Marsha finds when she arrives home?
10. What does Victor ask the IT staff to do for him, regarding the files that have been found missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
VJ is described as evil by some of the characters in the novel. Discuss the novel's portrayal of evil.
1) What is the nature of evil in the novel, and how does the novel address the nature of evil? Is VJ truly evil, and how is he defined as evil?
2) Are Victor's actions evil? Is Victor an evil character? Is Victor more evil than VJ, or less? Why?
3) What other elements of evil, like the Colombian drug cartel, exist in the novel? In what ways are they evil? How does their evil compare to VJ.
Essay Topic 2
Marsha is the main female character in the novel, but the novel also includes minor female characters such as Janice and Josephine. Discuss the portrayal of women in the novel.
1) Is Victor's treatment of Marsha and her opinions different from his treatment of men? How does Victor treat women in general in the novel?
2) How is Marsha's perspective as a woman different from Victor's as a man? What do Marsha and Victor's perspectives say about men and women in general?
3) How are other women in the novel, aside from Marsha, portrayed? What commonalities are there among the female characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of knowledge in the novel.
1) How do scientists in the novel make discoveries? What are the limitations of their knowledge about what they are doing and the consequences of their actions?
2) What can and cannot be known in the novel? What different types of knowledge are there?
3) What should and should not be known in the novel? Are certain types of knowledge dangerous?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)