|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marsha wake early in the morning at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. Who does VJ say he's tested his discovery on?
3. What are Victor's last words to VJ?
4. Where was the fatal drug likely administered to Maurice and Mark?
5. Where does Victor go, after Kaspwicz tells Victor what he's found on Victor's home computer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Victor's feelings about Marsha's attitude toward what they discover about VJ?
2. How did Janice feel about VJ?
3. How much of the secret lab does Victor see?
4. What does Marsha learn about Richie Blakemore?
5. Why does VJ let his father out of imprisonment?
6. What seems to have prompted VJ to stop going to daycare?
7. What does Victor realize about the threatening attacks on the Frank home by Gephardt?
8. What do the police do about the dead body Marsha finds when she arrives home?
9. What does Marsha learn about David and VJ's relationship before David died?
10. How do VJ and Victor interact, when they go to VJ's lab in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss power in the novel.
1) What gives a person power in the novel? How does money affect power? How does technology affect power? How does emotion affect power?
2) How does VJ get what he wants during the novel? What methods of getting what he wants, like cooperation, does VJ reject? Why?
3) What is the relationship between Victor and VJ? Who has power in the relationship, and at what times? How does Victor defeat VJ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the novel's portrayal of intelligence.
1) What does high intelligence change about a person? How does VJ's intelligence affect him? How are Maurice and Mark' affected by their genius-level intelligence?
2) How does low intelligence affect a person? Discuss the portrayal of Philip, who is mentally handicapped.
3) How are the characters with normal-range intelligence affected by their intellectual abilities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) Why does the author choose the particular scenes in the prologue and epilogue? How are they important to the story?
2) Why does the author tell the bulk of the novel over the course of a few days? How does the timeline affect the experience of reading the novel?
3) What are the moments of major revelation, crisis, and change in the novel? When do they occur, and how does the action build and resolve?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)