|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Victor feel about what VJ reveals to him?
2. What does VJ say that he needs, which drove him into his own secret space?
3. How does Marsha discover David felt about VJ?
4. What does Louis Kaspwicz find on Victor's computer?
5. Whose medical records does Marsha look up at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Marsha's discussion with her colleagues about VJ during Chapter 9?
2. Why does VJ let his father out of imprisonment?
3. When Victor returns to the lab, what does he try to convince VJ to do?
4. Why did VJ want to appear to be less intelligent?
5. Describe how Victor destroys the secret lab.
6. What conclusion does Marsha form about the security employees at VJ's lab?
7. How does Marsha's conversation with Philip at the beginning of Chapter 12 end?
8. Describe Marsha and Victor's conflicting views of VJ during Chapter 12.
9. What seems to have prompted VJ to stop going to daycare?
10. What are Victor's feelings about Marsha's attitude toward what they discover about VJ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss hubris in the novel.
1) In what ways is Victor taking on the role of a god? Do his actions reflect hubris? Why or why not?
2) How does VJ mimic Victor in his genetic work? Does VJ also show hubris? Does VJ consider himself a kind of god?
3) What is the line between scientific advancement and hubris? How can it be judged when science is going too far? How does the novel address these issues?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the genre of the novel.
1) In what ways is Mutation a thriller? How does it utilize elements of the thriller genre?
2) In what ways is Mutation a science fiction novel? How does it utilize elements of the science fiction genre?
3) What other genre elements, such as horror, are found in the novel? How do the elements of different genres work together, and what do they add to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea in the novel of special privilege for the gifted.
1) Why does Victor believe that VJ should have special privileges? What special privileges does Victor want for VJ?
2) Why does Marsha disagree with Victor about special privileges for VJ, and to what extent? What are Marsha's arguments?
3) What does the author imply about the danger of special privileges for the gifted?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)