|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Victor isolate NGF from?
2. What is Marsha's field of specialization?
3. How does Victor feel when he sees the baby?
4. What is thrown through VJ's window?
5. Where is the baby, VJ, born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Victor's emotional reaction to the deleted files?
2. What are Marsha's concerns about VJ?
3. What interrupts Marsha and Victor at the end of Chapter 6?
4. What disagreement do Marsha and Victor have about the remaining embryos?
5. What is Victor's attitude toward Marsha?
6. What might VJ's motivation be for how he performed during the race with Victor?
7. What does Victor do with the tissue samples he brings back from the hospital?
8. What does the baby do with the object it grabs when it is first born?
9. What is the implication of Mark and Maurice's illnesses?
10. What is the company's conflict with George Gephardt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the ending of the novel.
1) Why does Victor choose to kill himself in the process of killing VJ? How is this decision appropriate or inappropriate?
2) Does VJ need to be killed? Is a violent death the best, or only, solution to the problem?
3) How is the manner of VJ's death appropriate to the story? What is the author trying to communicate through the manner of VJ's death?
4) What does the epilogue add to the novel? Why does the author introduce another super-intelligent child at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Marsha is the main female character in the novel, but the novel also includes minor female characters such as Janice and Josephine. Discuss the portrayal of women in the novel.
1) Is Victor's treatment of Marsha and her opinions different from his treatment of men? How does Victor treat women in general in the novel?
2) How is Marsha's perspective as a woman different from Victor's as a man? What do Marsha and Victor's perspectives say about men and women in general?
3) How are other women in the novel, aside from Marsha, portrayed? What commonalities are there among the female characters?
Essay Topic 3
The novel Mutation addresses the ethics of scientific experimentation. Discuss this aspect of the novel.
1) What types of questionable ethical decisions does Victor make? What are the consequences of these decisions? What is Victor's point of view about the morality of his experimentation?
2) How does VJ approach ethical and moral questions? Does he consider ethics? Why or why not? What are his considerations when deciding what the right thing to do is?
3) What role does ethics and morality play in science in general in the novel? Do any scientists consider ethical questions?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)