|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do The Real People choose to end their lives?
2. Where do Time Keeper and Memory Keeper lead the author?
3. What are totems reminders of?
4. What word is ref-defined for the author?
5. What does the author hear as she prays to the Oneness for help in finding water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author get released back into society?
2. How does the author go about realizing the "grace" of the universe?
3. What is the significance of the green leaf?
4. Why does the tribe sit in a circle after an evening meal?
5. What gifts do Time Keeper and Memory Keeper hold?
6. What does the killing of the snakes for food represent to the tribe?
7. What do the tribes know about Jesus?
8. What does Ooota say is the way The Real People understand the word talent?
9. How does the tribe define the term "talent"?
10. What does Kindred to Large Animals make an offer for and what happens as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the Aboriginal People from the middle of the 20th century to today. What has been their major causes of societal ills and concerns? What politics have played a part in their social position? How has racism affected their very way of life? What does their future look like, even with sweeping changes (or lack thereof). Use references from the text to cross-analyze your findings with that of your research.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of animals in MUTANT MESSAGE DOWN UNDER? Describe how animals have messages of their own to share with the Aboriginal people and the Mutants. In what ways do the animals help to dismantle the fear in the author? Discuss the slayed camel, the snakes, and other animals relative to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of the literary element of foreshadowing, most evident in the rock. Also discuss how the Aborigine named Tribal Elder proves to be an important link to the author's past and present. What does the author hope to gain by using this literary device? Use examples of the text to support your answer.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)