|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cave represent?
2. What is the definition of "dream" to the Aborigines?
3. What kind of games does the author teach the tribes people?
4. With whom does the author share her destiny?
5. What does the author create that the tribe has great fun using?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Aboriginal teachings help the author adjust back into civilization?
2. Why does the tribe sit in a circle after an evening meal?
3. How does the tribe treat the elderly female camel after she is killed?
4. What do the animals represent, according to The Real People?
5. What happens to the author by the third day of the walk in which she leads?
6. How does the tribe define the term "talent"?
7. What does the author lose track of and one day wakes up thinking about?
8. How does the author get released back into society?
9. What is the significance of the green leaf?
10. Describe the walk that the author is told to take the lead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the healing of Great Stone Hunter and how the bone in his leg slid back into place after chanting and hymns. What other religions and cultures advocate this type of healing? (i.e. Christian Science, Native Americans, etc). How would Western Medicine respond to this type of healing? Is it a sham? Is it considered a dangerous way of thinking and naive hope? Are there any valid points to this type of healing? Tie in as many examples as possible and compare them with dialogue from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of animals in MUTANT MESSAGE DOWN UNDER? Describe how animals have messages of their own to share with the Aboriginal people and the Mutants. In what ways do the animals help to dismantle the fear in the author? Discuss the slayed camel, the snakes, and other animals relative to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary genre: Memoir. Discuss the 3 major ways in which Memoir differs from fiction and non-fiction. Next, discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Memoir. Is this current trend something that is attracting bloggers, diary writers, and other such writers to the field? When is a Memoir considered a literary work of art?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)