|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of narrative is the book?
2. Where does the setting of the book take place?
3. What is the name of the author's guide?
4. What sort of creatures surround the author and cleanse her body of dead skin, her nose of obstructions, and her ears of wax?
5. What is the main issue that is explored in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author learn she has been accepted by the natives?
2. Explain what Ooota means when he says that mental telepathy is the preferred means of communication for The Real People (Aborigines)?
3. What do the Aborigines speak of doing as a desire to change the trajectory of their future?
4. What does the young man who reads her palm tell the author about why she has come to Australia?
5. What is the one experience in Australia that has made the author unhappy?
6. Desribe the journey Marlo is about to undertake?
7. Why does the author write that the flower the girl wore throughout the day "had meaning" and that her friend's diamonds "had value".
8. Why does the author give herself the talent-name of "Dung-Collector"?
9. Why does the tribe separate into two groups?
10. What is Tribal Elder being told by the young man as he sits on the ground and falls silent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary genre: Memoir. Discuss the 3 major ways in which Memoir differs from fiction and non-fiction. Next, discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Memoir. Is this current trend something that is attracting bloggers, diary writers, and other such writers to the field? When is a Memoir considered a literary work of art?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of animals in MUTANT MESSAGE DOWN UNDER? Describe how animals have messages of their own to share with the Aboriginal people and the Mutants. In what ways do the animals help to dismantle the fear in the author? Discuss the slayed camel, the snakes, and other animals relative to the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is the setting of MUTANT MESSAGE DOWN UNDER? How does the setting ultimately feed into the theme of the book? Provide 4 details of the setting that are crucial for the lessons learned from the book. Finally, if the setting were changed, how would it affect the books spiritual nature?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)