|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are people hesitant to register Musui for a job once he is released from his cage?
2. During what time of day does Musui run away the second time?
3. Musui makes pilgrimages to ____________.
4. What is the second association Musui creates?
5. What does Musui threaten to do to get the help of the officials for Maigoichiro?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Musui get revenge on Saburoemon?
2. What funny thing happened during the fight with Kuma?
3. What surprises Kiheiji when Musui sees him after his marriage?
4. What does Musui do before running away a second time?
5. Why does Musui agree to help in the conflict between Josuke and Magoichiro?
6. Why does Musui say the gods have smiled on him at the end of the book?
7. Why does Musui not share more of his great fight stories?
8. Why does Musui have to stop his wife from killing someone?
9. How does Musui corrupt a samurai?
10. What happens when Rintaro is attacked by a dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Kokichi have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Musui when he runs away, and how does this affect the rest of the plot?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)