|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musui injure badly when he falls down a cliff?
2. Why does Musui go to the Ise Shrine?
3. Musui says his reputation paints him as________________.
4. Who raised Musui when he was born?
5. What art does Musui say all girls should know?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Musui's father do when Musui comes home after running away?
2. What does Musui say about the social ladder?
3. How does Musui get revenge on the boys at his Judo school?
4. What skill does Musui learn at age eleven, and how does he feel about it?
5. What does Musui's father do for him when he turns eighteen?
6. What does a brothel owner do for Musui after he runs away?
7. What does Musui do after being beaten by twenty boys at a young age?
8. What does Musui's father do when he steals money from his first job? Why?
9. What does Musui say everyone should be grateful for?
10. Why is Musui so fond of picking duels when he is seventeen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Musui made money in his life, and what do each of these endeavors reveal about his nature?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)