|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Musui's classmates do to torture him when he is nine years old?
2. What does Musui hope to teach by in this book?
3. How old is Musui when Hikoshiro hires him?
4. What does Musui say he spent most of his life pursuing?
5. Whom does Musui credit for his reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a brothel owner do for Musui after he runs away?
2. How does Musui feel about his reputation?
3. What do the boys at Musui's Judo school do? Why?
4. What job is Musui given at age seventeen?
5. What skill does Musui learn at age eleven, and how does he feel about it?
6. How does Musui lose all his belongings after running away?
7. What happens to Musui at age twelve?
8. What does Musui say his grandmother did to his as a child?
9. What happens when Musui encounters some Samurai after he runs away?
10. Whom does Musui greatly praise at the beginning of the book? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)