|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Musui says that he once spent a day swimming in_______________.
2. What causes Musui to lose all his money after he is married?
3. Who raised Musui when he was born?
4. What does Kihieji treat Musui like?
5. Where does Genebei want to fight with Musui?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Musui leave Kiheiji's house?
2. What does Musui refuse to do when he comes home after running away, and what does this do to him?
3. What does Musui's father do when he steals money from his first job? Why?
4. What does a brothel owner do for Musui after he runs away?
5. Why does Musui's family move at age eight?
6. How does Musui feel about his reputation?
7. How is Musui injured when he falls off a cliff?
8. What happens when Musui encounters some Samurai after he runs away?
9. Whom does Musui greatly praise at the beginning of the book? Why?
10. What does Musui do after being beaten by twenty boys at a young age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of punishments does Musui undergo in this book, and what does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of these themes, and how did the presence of these themes affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Musui when he runs away, and how does this affect the rest of the plot?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)