|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is taught at the Otani school?
2. How old is Musui when he loses all his money after getting married?
3. How does Musui meet the shady man?
4. What does Musui get sick with after running away?
5. What does Musui hope to teach by in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Musui lose all his belongings after running away?
2. What skill does Musui learn at age eleven, and how does he feel about it?
3. What does Musui say his grandmother did to his as a child?
4. What do the boys at Musui's Judo school do? Why?
5. Whom does Musui greatly praise at the beginning of the book? Why?
6. What happens to Musui at age twelve?
7. How is Musui injured when he falls off a cliff?
8. What does Musui refuse to do when he comes home after running away, and what does this do to him?
9. What advice does Musui give to young women?
10. What is Musui's reputation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Musui when he runs away, and how does this affect the rest of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)