|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iora say has attacked the nearby village?
2. Which two characters does Iori overhear talking?
3. Which member of Jinnai's party is missing?
4. To where is Jinnai traveling?
5. What does Gonnosuke study?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Musashi attack Denshichiro and his followers on the mountain?
2. What has happened in the fight between Seijuro and Musashi?
3. What revelation does Musashi have when watching the drummer?
4. What is Kojiro's attitude towards his hosts at the beginning of this section?
5. Why is Musashi happy he is not accepted to an official position?
6. Why is Matahachi happy with his punishment?
7. Why does Ichinomiya want to kill Matahachi?
8. What is Kojiro motivation for becoming a samurai?
9. Why do Matahachi and Osugi want to claim a lock of Musashi's hair?
10. How does Matahachi mistakenly kill the man who stole from him earlier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Muashi and Matachi fall out with each other during the novel? What does it say about there friendship that they eventually reconcile? What does the novel say about friendship in general?
Essay Topic 3
How does Yoshikawa represent Japanese culture? How does it compare to other representations of Japanese culture?Does anyone criticize Yoshikaw's representation of Japanese culture?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)