|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is currently living with Matahachi?
2. Where do Mukashi and Sannosuke bury Sannosuke's father's body?
3. What does the drummer make Musashi realize about fighting?
4. Which member of the criminal faction does Musashi kill?
5. Who does Daizo like to help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kojiro motivation for becoming a samurai?
2. What is Kojiro's attitude towards his hosts at the beginning of this section?
3. How does Sannosuke become Muasashi's student?
4. How does Daizo con Matahachi in this section?
5. What does Jo admit under questioning from Takuan?
6. How does Musashi test Sannosuke's skills?
7. What does Musashi learn about Kosuke?
8. How does Musashi help the village defeat the bandits?
9. Why does Musashi agree to stay with Yoshino at her teahouse?
10. What sacrifices does Sannosuke have to make to become Musashi's student?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the life of a samurai warrior.
1. Who are samurai warriors and how do they view life?
2. What influence have samurai warriors had on popular culture?
3. How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of samurai life? How has samurai values shaped the lives of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why is honor such an important theme in the book? What does the theme of honor say about Japanese culture?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)