|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Iora related to Sannosuke?
2. How does Kojiro agree to help Yajibei?
3. Why does Musashi say he eventually left the village?
4. What is the samurai posing as?
5. What kind of food is Matahachi selling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Musashi agree to stay with Yoshino at her teahouse?
2. What has happened in the fight between Seijuro and Musashi?
3. Why is Musashi happy he is not accepted to an official position?
4. Why is Matahachi happy with his punishment?
5. How does Musashi attack Denshichiro and his followers on the mountain?
6. What is Kojiro's attitude towards his hosts at the beginning of this section?
7. How does Sannosuke become Muasashi's student?
8. How does Musashi help the village defeat the bandits?
9. What revelation does Musashi have when watching the drummer?
10. How does Geki help Musashi in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Takuan's role in the books? How would the book change if he were not one of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Yoshikawa represent Japanese culture? How does it compare to other representations of Japanese culture?Does anyone criticize Yoshikaw's representation of Japanese culture?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)