|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musashi tell the villages they are not?
2. What is the name of Kojiro's sword?
3. Who does Iora say has attacked the nearby village?
4. What does Myoshu drop when she runs away?
5. Where does Matahachi find Akemi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Musashi know that Kojiro is in town?
2. What is Kojiro motivation for becoming a samurai?
3. How does Kojiro prove to be a bad teacher?
4. What sacrifices does Sannosuke have to make to become Musashi's student?
5. How does Musashi test Sannosuke's skills?
6. How does Matahachi mistakenly kill the man who stole from him earlier?
7. How does Daizo con Matahachi in this section?
8. What does Jo admit under questioning from Takuan?
9. How does Musashi help the village defeat the bandits?
10. What is Kojiro's attitude towards his hosts at the beginning of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Japanese and American culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
How do the books work as a series? Why did Eiji Yoshikawa decided to write a series of books instead of just one? How does Eiji Yoshikawa develop the story and character throughout the series?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)