|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ogin related to Takezo?
2. Who does Osugi demand moves in with her?
3. What does Matahachi want to find work as?
4. How does Otsu react when she sees Musashi at the end of this section?
5. What do the rumors say that Matahachi has jumped to escape his capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the priest say they killed the men?
2. How does Oko prepare for Tsujikaze's visit?
3. What advice does Nikkan give to Musashi?
4. How does Musashi escape Osugi and Gon?
5. What signs are there that stealing from corpses is becoming a lucrative business?
6. Who is Jotaro?
7. What are the reasons Seijuro cannot fight in this chapter?
8. Why is Musashi initially ridiculed?
9. How does Jo's father show his torment in this section?
10. How do the villagers punish Takuan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Yoshikawa develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
How do the books work as a series? Why did Eiji Yoshikawa decided to write a series of books instead of just one? How does Eiji Yoshikawa develop the story and character throughout the series?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Yoshikawa's previous books and contrast it with Musashi in terms of the following:
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)