|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Young Master?
2. What does the priest think will gore out Takezo's eyes if the villagers tie him to a tree?
3. Where does Musashi ask Jo to deliver the message?
4. Where does Akemi go to steal from the corpses?
5. How does Otsu react when she sees Musashi at the end of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs are there that stealing from corpses is becoming a lucrative business?
2. Describe Matahachi's reunion with his mother?
3. How has Matahachi's life changed for the worse at the beginning of Book III?
4. What are the reasons Seijuro cannot fight in this chapter?
5. Describe Matahachi's mother's character?
6. Why do the priest say they killed the men?
7. How do the villagers punish Takuan?
8. Who is Jotaro?
9. What is Matahachi's life like with Oko?
10. How does Musashi escape Osugi and Gon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the life of a samurai warrior.
1. Who are samurai warriors and how do they view life?
2. What influence have samurai warriors had on popular culture?
3. How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of samurai life? How has samurai values shaped the lives of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
How do the books work as a series? Why did Eiji Yoshikawa decided to write a series of books instead of just one? How does Eiji Yoshikawa develop the story and character throughout the series?
Essay Topic 3
What is Takuan's role in the books? How would the book change if he were not one of the characters?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)