|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose family does Matahachi want to find?
2. What does Musashi want the priests at the temple to teach him?
3. What does Jo convince Musashi to take him on as?
4. What does Nikkan tell Musashi he must learn?
5. What kind of business does Oko run?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the villagers punish Takuan?
2. Why do Osugi and Gon want to kill Musashi?
3. How do Takezo and Matahachi escape the battlefield?
4. How is Matahachi conned out of money in this section?
5. What advice does Nikkan give to Musashi?
6. What signs are there that stealing from corpses is becoming a lucrative business?
7. How does Musashi find Otsu again?
8. How is Matahachi's mother rude to Takeo's family in this section?
9. How does Musashi feel about his talk with Nikkan?
10. How does Oko prepare for Tsujikaze's visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Yoshikawa's previous books and contrast it with Musashi in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Yoshikawa develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)