|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Matahachi find laboring work?
2. What kind of work does Oko ban Matahachi from doing?
3. Which two characters threaten to kill Musashi?
4. What character owns a school?
5. What does Matahachi's mother do to him when he sees her again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons Seijuro cannot fight in this chapter?
2. Why do Osugi and Gon want to kill Musashi?
3. How is Matahachi's mother rude to Takeo's family in this section?
4. What is Matahachi's life like with Oko?
5. How does Musashi feel about his talk with Nikkan?
6. How does Matahachi take advantage of Sasaki Kojiro's death?
7. How does Musashi escape Osugi and Gon?
8. How has Matahachi's life changed for the worse at the beginning of Book III?
9. How does Musashi find Otsu again?
10. What advice does Nikkan give to Musashi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Muashi and Matachi fall out with each other during the novel? What does it say about there friendship that they eventually reconcile? What does the novel say about friendship in general?
Essay Topic 2
Compare one of the characters to the person he or she was at the beginning of the book to the person he or she is at the end.
1. What did he or she hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes his or her ideas about life?
3. How has the character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)