|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beckett feel about martyrs?
2. What are the words Beckett quotes from the Bible?
3. What is NOT a reason that Beckett gives for God choosing to have martyrs?
4. Why does Beckett believe the thought of the angels bringing peace is strange?
5. Who is the only one who can bring Beckett peace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Becket believes that his death will ultimately bring good to the public, the church, and his own spiritual well-being.
1) Cite several instances in which Becket or another character argue for the choice of martyrdom. Define what Becket's modus operandi is in allowing his own murder
2) Looking at the way his followers reacted to his death, were Becket's goals achieved?
3) Think of another historic figure that you consider a martyr (i.e. Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr.). Compare that person with Becket.
4) For you, what truly defines a martyr? How does the death of one person catalyze social change?
5) Do you believe there are the moral implications to celebrating death in such a way?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the characters from the play excluding Becket. Compare and contrast the following aspects of the characters:
Part 1) Their social standing.
Part 2) Their political views.
Part 3) Their religious beliefs.
Now describe how these traits affect their opinion of Becket and his actions in the play. How are their opinions different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning of Murder in the Cathedral, we are told of the monotonous and rather unfulfilled lives that are led by the women of Canterbury. In one instance we are told that they believe they are "living and party living."
1) How is the return of Thomas Becket to Canterbury a good thing for its people? What can he offer them that they have been missing in their lives?
2) How does Becket's return affect them negatively?
3) Using examples from the text, how can monotony be a good thing? How is it bad?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)