|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a reason that Beckett gives for God choosing to have martyrs?
2. What is NOT one of the things that Beckett says they rejoice in?
3. Which is NOT an adjective you might use to define Beckett's sermon?
4. How does Beckett close his sermon?
5. Who was NOT mentioned in Beckett's sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Study the dialogue between the Four Tempters and Becket carefully. Not only does each Tempter have something very different to offer Becket, but they all have different tactics they use to get Becket on their side. Compare and contrast the different aims of the Tempters, their tactics, even the personality traits they put forth to successfully coerce Becket. Explain how each was effective/ineffective in conjunction with Becket's needs and his moral code.
Essay Topic 2
After the murder of Thomas Becket, the Four Knights have a chance to explain their different reasons for assassinating the Archbishop. Write an essay with the following parts:
Part 1) Choose one of the Four Knights arguments. Study their speech and outline their argument.
Part 2) Choose to either support their point or debate their point and write an argument for or against the assassination.
Essay Topic 3
The Interlude is the sermon Becket gives on Christmas Day. He says it may be his last.
1) Who is this sermon directed to? What is his relationship to them?
2) What is the main argument of his speech and what are the points that lead up to his conclusion?
3) What is the purpose of this final sermon? What does he want from the audience? How does he make it an effective speech?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)