|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day does the sermon take place?
2. Who is the only one who can bring Beckett peace?
3. What, according to Beckett, is reenacted during Mass?
4. What is another observation Beckett has about his approaching murder?
5. What was NOT one of the events that Becket describes in the lives of the disciples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Interlude is the sermon Becket gives on Christmas Day. He says it may be his last.
1) Who is this sermon directed to? What is his relationship to them?
2) What is the main argument of his speech and what are the points that lead up to his conclusion?
3) What is the purpose of this final sermon? What does he want from the audience? How does he make it an effective speech?
Essay Topic 2
There are many references to the broken relationship between Becket and King Henry II. What was their personal and political relationship like before their falling out? What were Becket's crimes against the monarchy, and what did Henry do to instigate them? What has their relationship consisted of since Becket returned to England? How have they changed? Use examples from the text to back your assertions.
a) Using what you know about the two characters, whose side would you back based on your own political and spiritual outlook? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Study the dialogue between the Four Tempters and Becket carefully. Not only does each Tempter have something very different to offer Becket, but they all have different tactics they use to get Becket on their side. Compare and contrast the different aims of the Tempters, their tactics, even the personality traits they put forth to successfully coerce Becket. Explain how each was effective/ineffective in conjunction with Becket's needs and his moral code.
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)