|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one way that Beckett defines peace?
(a) The kingdom of England at peace with its neighbors.
(b) The entire world at peace with no war in sight.
(c) The Pope at peace with the King.
(d) The people of Canterbury at peace with their fate.
2. In the opening of the Interlude, how does Beckett describe his sermon to the audience?
3. According to Beckett, who was the Lord speaking to when he said, "My peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you?"
(a) His angels.
(b) Beckett himself.
(c) The people of the world.
(d) His disciples.
4. What is NOT one of the things that Beckett says they rejoice in?
(a) The sacrifice of Christ for our sins.
(b) Christ coming for the salvation of men.
(c) The Christmas pageant.
(d) Taking Communion.
5. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an effective speaking tool that Beckett uses in his speech?
2. Whose idea is being echoed when Beckett talks of the promise of peace being "a disappointment and a cheat?"
3. What would Beckett have the congregation do?
4. What would be the most likely reaction of the Canterbury people that this is Beckett's last sermon?
5. Which is NOT an adjective you might use to define Beckett's sermon?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)