|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the Interlude take place?
2. To Beckett, what is martyrdom?
(a) It is the result of cruel men.
(b) An act of chance.
(c) It is always the design of God.
(d) It is always a request of angels.
3. Why might the public react this way?
(a) They have great love and loyalty for Thomas Beckett.
(b) They hate the English King.
(c) They don't care what happens to Thomas Beckett.
(d) They hate the dictator Archbishop.
4. According to Beckett, who was the Lord speaking to when he said, "My peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you?"
(a) His disciples.
(b) His angels.
(c) The people of the world.
(d) Beckett himself.
5. Fill in the blanks: "For who on the world will both _______ and ________ at once and for the same reason?"
(a) Mourn; rejoice.
(b) Laugh; weep.
(c) Rejoice; weep.
(d) Stay; go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which specific Canterbury martyr does Beckett ask the congregation to remember?
2. What is one way that Beckett defines peace?
3. Knowing what you know about the situation Beckett is in and his character traits, what might be the most likely way to describe Beckett's state of being after his last speech to his flock?
4. What is an effective speaking tool that Beckett uses in his speech?
5. Whose idea is being echoed when Beckett talks of the promise of peace being "a disappointment and a cheat?"
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)