|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't the Third Priest see in "the art of temporal government?"
(d) Frequent Malversation.
2. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
3. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
4. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
(a) The King's palace.
(b) Outside the gates of the Cathedral.
(c) The Cathedral.
(d) The Archbishop's hall.
5. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
(a) The Archbishop has arrived at the city.
(b) The Pope has excommunicated the King
(c) The King has ordered the execution of Thomas Becket.
(d) The Archbishop has left France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
2. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
3. What is not one of the ways the Chorus, the priests and the Tempters describe an unexpected death?
4. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
5. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the tactics that Eliot writes into the speech of the Second Knight to persuade the audience to see their point of view?
2. After the temptations, what do the Priests want Becket to do? Why?
3. How does Becket believe a martyr should be defined?
4. Why does Becket fear that giving into the Fourth Tempter would be doing "the right deed for the wrong reason?"
5. Why is it that Becket believes a martyr is never an accident?
6. What does Thomas Becket do to attempt to have a safe passage back into England?
7. What is the Interlude?
8. How long has Thomas Becket been away from Canterbury? Why has he chosen to stay away for so long?
9. How do the Priests define the meaning of "to-day?"
10. What story does Becket tell about Christmas Day? Why is it important?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)