|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
2. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
(a) The Cathedral.
(b) Outside the gates of the Cathedral.
(c) The King's palace.
(d) The Archbishop's hall.
3. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
4. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
(a) The King has ordered the execution of Thomas Becket.
(b) The Pope has excommunicated the King
(c) The Archbishop has left France.
(d) The Archbishop has arrived at the city.
5. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
(a) Worms in the belly.
(b) Frogs in the treetops.
(c) Horses in the stalls.
(d) Chickens in a coop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
2. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
3. How does the Third Tempter describe himself?
4. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
5. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that Becket believes a martyr is never an accident?
2. After the temptations, what do the Priests want Becket to do? Why?
3. What is a method that Becket uses to outline his sermon in the Interlude?
4. How does Becket believe you cannot define a martyr?
5. Taking into consideration the many opportunities to escape his fate, his many followers begging him to change course, and Becket's own prideful nature, why would Becket choose the path of martyrdom?
6. How do the Knights taunt Becket upon their entrance into the Cathedral?
7. Why would Becket say this is his last sermon?
8. What does Becket ask his flock to remember?
9. What is one of the more specific crimes the Knights bring up in their accusations?
10. After the temptations, what do the Chorus want Becket to do? Why?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)