|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
2. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
(a) Richard I.
(b) Henry II.
(c) Edward III.
(d) James I.
3. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
(a) Throw a celebration in his honor.
(b) Have a feast.
(c) Have the fires lit in his rooms.
(d) Lead a prayer.
4. What is it that the Second Tempter offers Becket?
(a) His former political position.
(b) A new life.
(c) A new love.
(d) The English throne.
5. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
(a) The King of France.
(b) The Pope.
(c) John, the Dean of Salisbury.
(d) King Henry II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
2. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
3. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
4. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
5. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of the urgency behind the Knight's demands upon entering the scene?
2. How does Becket believe a martyr should be defined?
3. Why does Becket fear that giving into the Fourth Tempter would be doing "the right deed for the wrong reason?"
4. How long has Thomas Becket been away from Canterbury? Why has he chosen to stay away for so long?
5. Why would Becket say this is his last sermon?
6. What might be a reason Becket chose to do this speech?
7. Why does Becket believe it is appropriate to celebrate the martyr, Stephen, the day after Christmas?
8. Who does the Fourth Knight believe truly killed Thomas Becket? What is his proof that this is true?
9. As Becket is being slaughtered, the Chorus speaks. What the the main idea behind their speech?
10. Explain what is offered by the Second Tempter and why it would appeal to Thomas Beckett
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)