|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A peaceful affair.
(b) A patched-up affair.
(c) A violent affair.
(d) A silly affair.
2. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
3. How does the chorus define its time in Canterbury since the Archbishop left seven years previous?
(a) Living and partly living.
(b) Living and partly suffering.
(c) Dying and partly dying.
(d) Living and partly dying.
4. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
5. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does the Fourth Tempter repeat that Beckett voiced on his first entrance?
2. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
3. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
4. Why is the fourth visitor the most successful Tempter?
5. When will the First Tempter remember Becket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Priests enter at the beginning of Part II to change the ambiance of the play? Do you believe it is effective?
2. Why would Becket say this is his last sermon?
3. What is special about the day the Interlude takes place?
4. What is a method that Becket uses to outline his sermon in the Interlude?
5. What is the opinion of the Messenger of the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
6. After the temptations, what do the Priests want Becket to do? Why?
7. Why is it that Becket believes a martyr is never an accident?
8. What is the initial and more general accusation the Knights' hold against the Archbishop?
9. What does Becket mean when he states to the Priests, "The moment foreseen may be unexpected when it arrives?"
10. What does the First Tempter use to entice Thomas Becket?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)