|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
(a) King Henry II.
(b) The King of France.
(c) John, the Dean of Salisbury.
(d) The Pope.
2. Why does Beckett believe the thought of the angels bringing peace is strange?
(a) The world has been struck by war.
(b) The angels ceased to appear
(c) The world was already a happy place.
(d) No one listened to them.
3. What is not one of the things that the Tempter describes in his flashback of the "good time" Becket used to enjoy in his service to King Henry?
(a) Singing at nightfall.
(b) Fluting in the meadows.
(c) Fires devouring the winter season.
(d) Spring melting the winter ice.
4. "The wheel" is spoken of time and time again. In one instance Becket says that "Only the fool, fixed in his folly, may think he can turn the wheel on which he turns." What is the idea of a wheel supposed to symbolize?
(b) The Past.
5. When will the First Tempter remember Becket?
(a) On ChristmasEve.
(b) On Christmas Day.
(c) At kissing time below the stairs.
(d) At night when the fires are lit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Beckett tell the people that he may never preach to them again?
2. What is NOT one of the ways Beckett defines peace?
3. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
4. What, according to Beckett, is celebrated that day?
5. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)