|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
(a) To witness the events and take no action.
(b) To serve the Priests of the Cathedral.
(c) To warn Thomas Becket.
(d) To prevent a murder.
2. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
(a) Promises of Nothing.
(b) Hopes that Die.
(c) An End to Suffering.
(d) Dreams to Damnation.
3. What, according to Beckett, is reenacted during Mass?
(a) The Resurrection of Christ.
(b) The Miracles of Christ.
(c) The Birth of Christ.
(d) The Passion and Death of Christ.
4. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
(a) Worms in the belly.
(b) Frogs in the treetops.
(c) Chickens in a coop.
(d) Horses in the stalls.
5. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) The Messenger.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) Thomas Becket.
(d) The Priests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Third Tempter believe upon his arrival?
2. According to Beckett's speech, what was the fate of the disciples?
3. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
4. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
5. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)