|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
(a) Richard I.
(b) James I.
(c) Henry II.
(d) Edward III.
2. Who is the only one who can bring Beckett peace?
(a) The Tempters..
(b) The Knights.
(c) The Chorus.
3. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
(a) The First Tempter speaks in verse.
(b) All of the characters other than Beckett fall silent.
(c) All of the characters speak in riddles.
(d) The play becomes one monologue.
4. Who was NOT mentioned in Beckett's sermon?
(a) The disciples.
(b) St. Stephen.
(c) Shepards of bethlehem.
(d) The Holy Innocents.
5. How was the Tempter unsuccessful?
(a) Beckett is dying for love.
(b) Beckett is not dying for the King.
(c) Beckett chooses to live.
(d) Beckett is not dying for glory.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
2. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
3. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
4. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
5. What is the feeling of the general public in regard to the Archbishop's return?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)