|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
(a) Because the Pope would not allow it.
(b) Because the Pope excommunicated Beckett.
(c) Because he excommunicated them.
(d) Because the King would not allow it.
2. According to Beckett, who condemned the bishops?
(b) The Knights.
(c) The King.
(d) The Pope.
3. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) God and his mercy.
(b) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(c) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
(d) God and his greatness.
4. What does the First Priest bring in?
(a) The banner of the Holy Innocents.
(b) The banner of St. Elphage.
(c) The banner of St. John the Apostle.
(d) The banner of St. Stephen.
5. What are one of the specific crimes against the King that the Knights speak of?
(a) Denying the legality of the Prince's coronation.
(b) Denying the King taxes.
(c) Denying the King's claim to the throne.
(d) Denying the baron's right to land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
2. Why is the fourth visitor the most successful Tempter?
3. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
4. What is the year in which Part II takes place?
5. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)